• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
November being the date for the 10th anniversary of Halo? Can't speak for the hordes of transient folks that come and go in this thread but the bulk of HaloGAF regulars will certainly be playing.

Also, you can still play Reach and play newer games. =)
Oh I didnt mean stop playing and never ever touch the game again, but I mean it just seems like a lot of people will be heading over to other games for awhile unless there is something significant done to Reach.

I will still be playing Reach though, but BF3 will be consuming a lot of my time :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:
Oh I didnt mean stop playing and never ever touch the game again, but I mean it just seems like a lot of people will be heading over to other games for awhile unless there is something significant done to Reach.

I will still be playing Reach though, but BF3 will be consuming a lot of my time :lol

I'm looking forward to BF3 too but I'll always return to Halo.

Tawpgun

Ramirez said:
That's exactly what will happen if you don't let someone form a formidable team, and keep the little league rules of "everyone has to play" to customs. ;)

I'm definitely all for this, but is the tournament it a best 2/3 system or one game decides it all? I want to know how many teams of 6 there will be.

Anyways, that wasn't the final roster and that's a good thing because it doesn't have some of the more talented Halo players here on it. Primarily because many of you haven't expressed any interest.

The list Duncan posted isn't the final roster for the tournament. It's the players who would be interested in playing.

Which made me come up with an idea. Put a deadline on the people who are interested list. Then, have Tashi or someone who is among the "best of the best" 1 v 1 the players on the same gametype on the same map.

Then we compare scores in those games. That might be a bit of a burden on whoever is chosen so it could be a a group of people. Whatever we may do, we need to insure only the best get to play.

Ramirez

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'm definitely all for this, but is the tournament it a best 2/3 system or one game decides it all? I want to know how many teams of 6 there will be.

Anyways, that wasn't the final roster and that's a good thing because it doesn't have some of the more talented Halo players here on it. Primarily because many of you haven't expressed any interest.

The list Duncan posted isn't the final roster for the tournament. It's the players who would be interested in playing.

Which made me come up with an idea. Put a deadline on the people who are interested list. Then, have Tashi or someone who is among the "best of the best" 1 v 1 the players on the same gametype on the same map.

Then we compare scores in those games. That might be a bit of a burden on whoever is chosen so it could be a a group of people. Whatever we may do, we need to insure only the best get to play.

That knocks out 80% of that list, el oh el.

I personally couldn't make it for the time slot anyways probably, but I still want GAF to win.

Tunavi said:
Daily/Weekly challenges are one of the greatest things about Reach.
I disagree. They don't matter to me; I don't care about them at all (mostly). They don't do anything. I can't remember the last time I got all the daily challenges for a day. Hell, I can't remember the last time I got more than one daily challenge for a day. No. Scratch that. I can't remember when I tried to go after even one daily challenge. If I get a daily challenge nowadays, it's entirely by accident.

Thinking back, the only reason why I went after challenges as much as I did was because my friend really wanted Inclement Weather, and because he went after the challenges, so did I. After he got Inclement Weather, I stopped doing daily challenges.

At this time, I only go after weekly challenges if I can A) do it with someone else and B) do it in one sitting. And even then, there's no guarantee I'll do it. Probably not. Other than the LASO challenges, I haven't done a weekly in awhile. Probably the last time I got a weekly was December or November.

Tawpgun

Ramirez said:
That knocks out 80% of that list, el oh el.

I personally couldn't make it for the time slot anyways probably, but I still want GAF to win.

So do I, even if it means I might not get to play.

Trasher

Ram, I'd just leave it alone. Lets not get everyone going on that again... Let them have their tournament the way they want to have it.

wwm0nkey said:
Hey guys honest question here, if there are no major changes/updates made to Reach at all this year will any of you still be playing this around November?

I mean we do have Battlefield 3, Skyrim, UC3 and now MW3. I would REALLY hope 343i does what DICE did with BC2 and release a major update around that time to make the game still relevant.

My Halo time will certainty decrease and in fact I probably won't play it for a while, but I'll come back to play it.

In fact, my Reach playing time is going to decrease dramatically starting this Tuesday.

Tawpgun

Trasher said:
Ram, I'd just leave it alone. Lets not get everyone going on that again... Let them have their tournament the way they want to have it.

I'm confused. The way everyone (I believe) wanted to have it is so the best of the best would play.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Steelyuhas said:
Speaking of the future of Reach, assuming there is another map pack in the pipeline, when do you guys think it will be released?

E3.

My guess is that a bunch of maps would be bundled with the CE remake (if it's real).

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:
Speaking of the future of Reach, assuming there is another map pack in the pipeline, when do you guys think it will be released?
Well actually thats what i think they have up their sleeve for the 10th anniversary of Halo. a massive Halo Reach content package to help it stand against all the newer games. The content package will have to be huge though.

Ramirez said:
lol!

There's nothing I'd rather do more than poop on a bunch of BK communities.
:p

I know. Thought it was worth a laugh. Think you should partake. I'm certainly not, for the reasons you outlined, not good enough. GAF should be there to have fun AND win i.e. it's not a bad thing if we lost, but we should try our hardest/put our best foot forward to win.

Edit: Bah, re:read it and realised I left out a key word, giving it a different meaning.

Ramirez

Trasher said:

Are we so immature here that a simple discussion can't be had? lol

Also, screw more DLC if it's of the 2 MP map variety, get with the times and do what COD has been doing for years now, 5 maps or bust.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'm confused. The way everyone (I believe) wanted to have it is so the best of the best would play.

Trasher said:

The tournament is set up where each community decides who plays. I've never said, "Everyone gets to play in the tournament!"

That's what the custom games are set up for. It's for the people who don't get chosen for the tournament, or for the people who aren't looking for competitive games but who'd still like to have fun.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
Are we so immature here that a simple discussion can't be had? lol

Also, screw more DLC if it's of the 2 MP map variety, get with the times and do what COD has been doing for years now, 5 maps or bust.
Yes. We are. Have you already forgot the ridiculousness from like five pages ago? Shit got messy, and it was a discussion that's already been had.

Hitmonchan107 said:
The tournament is set up where each community decides who plays. I've never said, "Everyone gets to play in the tournament!"

That's what the custom games are set up for. It's for the people who won't be able to play in the tournament, or for the people who aren't looking for competitive games but who'd still like to have fun.
Where did I say that you said that? I've read through the rules you posted. I understand what's going on.

Ramirez

Trasher said:
Yes. We are. Have you already forgot the ridiculousness from like five pages ago? Shit got messy, and it was a discussion that's already been had.

Just because someone is an idiot doesn't mean you have to get down in the mud with them, heh.

Let Tashi pick the team, he's the most neutral guy here. He could pick a preliminary team, and when it gets closer to time fill it out with other people if his first choices couldn't make it.

Ramirez said:
Just because someone is an idiot doesn't mean you have to get down in the mud with them, heh.

Let Tashi pick the team, he's the most neutral guy here. He could pick a preliminary team, and when it gets closer to time fill it out with other people if his first choices couldn't make it.
Sounds good to me. Everybody can PM Duncan saying you'd like to play by Friday, and then Tashi (or another Team 2 member) can decide the teams.

Trasher

Hitmonchan107 said:
Sounds good to me. Everybody can PM Duncan saying you'd like to play by Friday, and then Tashi (or another Team 2 member) can decide the teams.
Except Tashi already said he doesn't want to participate in this tournament. Did he change his mind, or do you just want him to pick the team and not actually play in it?

Ramirez said:
Just because someone is an idiot doesn't mean you have to get down in the mud with them, heh.it.
So what you are saying is you are starting another mud pit with yourself in it? lol (I'm referring to the messy conversations)

Hey You

I like the Daily challenges. I enjoy working towards getting them.

wwm0nkey said:
Hey guys honest question here, if there are no major changes/updates made to Reach at all this year will any of you still be playing this around November?

I mean we do have Battlefield 3, Skyrim, UC3 and now MW3. I would REALLY hope 343i does what DICE did with BC2 and release a major update around that time to make the game still relevant.
Absolutely. As long as either Bungie or 343i/MS is supporting it. Even playlist updates and and such.

Halo is my main game for multiplayer. I'll play CoD online once in a while, but other than that no other game will take Halo's place for the foreseeable future.

Steelyuhas said:
Well it depends on how long DLC takes to make. Anyone know how long Defiant took all together?

If work was being done or even started before Defiant on the next DLC, I think announcing it this month and releasing next month would be appropriate.

Unless the sales of Noble and Defiant were disappointing for Microsoft, they may wait a while before greenlighting the release of DLC.

Who knows. I would love more DLC this year. I would gladly pay for DLC every month.

It would be nice to get like 6 maps per pack and pay 1600 points.

Trasher said:
Except Tashi already said he doesn't want to participate in this tournament. Did he change his mind, or do you just want him to pick the team and not actually play in it?

So what you are saying is you are starting another mud pit with yourself in it? lol
When I put in the rules that the community leader doesn't have to play, I kind of had Tashi in mind. :^)

I shouldn't play favorites, but I don't want GAF to lose.

Sorry if I upset you earlier, Trasher.

Lazslo

Hitmon I'm down to play on the custom game side of things if you need more battlebros- If not, no worries mon. I'd love to destroy Dax with a needler.

Hitmonchan107 said:
When I put in the rules that the community leader doesn't have to play, I kind of had Tashi in mind. :^)

Wait so we will be having one team?

Domino Theory said:
E3.

My guess is that a bunch of maps would be bundled with the CE remake (if it's real).

I hope you are wrong and it just has Halo CE MP.

That said, if it comes with Reach MP and new maps I can't see it being more than 3 new ones (plus noble and defiant) like ODST

Trasher

Hitmonchan107 said:

lol what? You didn't upset me. Where did you get that idea?

No, I agree with the idea of sending the best of the best, but I just know people are gonna be pissed with that setup. As you have most likely seen, everyone in this thread generally hates Team 2 because of how the last Humpday went down.

Trasher said:

Where did I say that you said that? I've read through the rules you posted. I understand what's going on.

What ridiculousness from 5 pages ago? All I remember happening about 5 pages ago was me saying that there should be a inter-Gaf competition to decide who the best of the best on Gaf are. Not just the og's deciding. After all if we let a og decide who the best are he would just choose his mates, who might be good, but not the best on Gaf. How could anyone decide who the best on Gaf is without playing with everyone here?

As far as I can see the best players here are showing no interest in the tournament they arent being excluded from it like your posts seem to be acting like. Either way if the better players around here showed interest of being in the tournament and they managed to beat the other guys who also showed interest they would be on the team.

From your posts it seems like you want the usual crowd to make up the team without having the little competition on here first to let people have a shot at proving themselves and getting on the team. If you guys entered the competition you would probably win it and end up playing the tournament anyway, if your the best on Gaf. Its a much fairer system than just saying "yeah let team 2 play" as it allows everyone to have a shot at proving themselves, whilst also allowing it to turn into "yeah let team 2 play" but only if they prove they are actually the best on Gaf first.

As for Daily challenges - they are the worst thing ever, I hate the ones that change player behaviour. Get x AR/ jetpack/ etc kills ruins matchmaking.

Trasher said:
lol what? You didn't upset me. Where did you get that idea?

No, I agree with the idea of sending the best of the best, but I just know people are gonna be pissed with that setup. As you have most likely seen, everyone in this thread generally hates Team 2 because of how the last Humpday went down.

For me personally im not pissed that you guys want the best to represent Gaf, im pissed that a few guys on here assume that Team 2 is the best on Gaf, its a big distinction to make lol.

Thermite

Ramirez said:
No one will be playing Reach because we'll have something new to play come November, believe.

BATTLEFIELD 3, I WILL EAT THAT SHIT EVERY GODDAMN DAY.

6hi2bc.gif

Edit: Team 2.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
bobs99 ... said:
As far as I can see the best players here are showing no interest in the tournament they arent being excluded from it like your posts seem to be acting like. Either way if the better players around here showed interest of being in the tournament and they managed to beat the other guys who also showed interest they would be on the team.

Since there's three teams, we could just have one of them be Team 2. :p

Just a thought.

MrBig said:
Don't worry you're not missing much. Pretty much the same cycle as CoD. Same gameplay as the original with a few more things on top. It's a shame, since I played Gears 1 back before H3 came out more than almost any other game.
I can't believe you actually posted this MrBig, I expected better from you. smh.

All the people in this thread that clamor for Halo 2 back, what you described is exactly what these people want from a new Halo game. And dedicated servers, even if they aren't on 100% of the time (that's what a Beta is for right?), are just as important to Gears as hitscan is to Halo. Gears 3 Gnasher is to H2 BR as the Gears 2 Gnasher is to H3 BR. I could go on but then I remember how people mentioning Brink in passing went over.

Ramirez said:
Your post did not read anything at all like a developer lamenting the fact that they weren't utilizing their engine correctly.
Tellin like it is. Sorry MrBig, Ram speaks the truth.

ncsuDuncan said:
Updated:
Code:
[u]Tournament list[/u] (currently 12/18)
[s]Barrow Roll	([B]Barrow Roll[/B])[/s] - Can't make it? :(
This is correct, except that my GT is exactly the same as my GAF tag, with the space between the words. Hope the tourney goes well with a minimum of drama.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The Customs games with 343i could be fun (as long as bs angel and voc don't get to choose the gametypes and maps =P) and it looks like a nice way to participate whilst sidestepping the team drama.

I take back what I said earlier and, yeah, sign me up for the Custom games please.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Dani said:
The Customs games with 343i could be fun (as long as bs angel and voc don't get to choose the gametypes and maps =P) and it looks like a nice way to participate whilst sidestepping the team drama.

Ladies and gentlemen I present...
Team Armor Lock

Dug

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:
Updated:
Code:
[B][U]Halo Community Tournament[/U][/B] [b]List of interested GAF players[/b] (PM me and I will add you)

[u]Tournament list[/u] (currently 12/18)
Dug	(Nintony 64)
Could you switch me to the Custom Games list, please?

Kind of funny that people are changing to the custom games. But if we are fighting for HaloGAF's honor, I won't be a good choice for the Tournament. But hey, it is for the fun, right?

lybertyboy said:
Done. Keep those suggestions coming.
One Flag, AR/Plasma Repeater + Dropshild Loadout-only on Boardwalk. You know, you want to play that.

Trasher

Bobs..you are way off base on a lot of my posts. I did not imply even half of what you said. Team 2 never said we were the best players on here. We were just a group of people who were faimiliar with one another and enjoyed playing together. We just so happened to include some of the best players GAF has to offer. There are plenty of more awesome players that weren't on Team 2. Ram set it up so there were three teams that sort of fit the different groups that make up HaloGAF with the third team being more of a mix so other people could participate as well.

Hypertrooper said:
Kind of funny that people are changing to the custom games. But if we are fighting for HaloGAF's honor, I won't be a good choice for the Tournament. But hey, it is for the fun, right?
Absolutely. Choose what you will have the most fun doing. That's what this is all about.

And 343, thanks again for taking the time out to host custom games. Nobody does it like you.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Absolutely. Choose what you will have the most fun doing. That's what this is all about.

And 343, thanks again for taking the time out to host custom games. Nobody does it like you.
We're still going to loose, because of my german connection, we all know that. So we can blame my connection. I guess my connection can endure the insult.

Btw. why is pedobear in that video?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
If you guys vote for me to have control of the team to represent HaloGAF, I'll play.
GTFO

Kidding.

But we really do need four more people, I do have a list of 'suggestions' if you will, on how our teams should be placed if you want to read it.

Top Bottom