• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Are you a REAL Halo Pro? Explain WTF happens in these videos and claim your crown!

Three videos, and three mysterious events.

I was really tired last need and in need of sleep but after checking back through my saved films, I didn't make these things up. They happened. Two of them in a single game.

She Can Swim?

We rolled the hog into the blue depths of the ocean but the ocean spat her back out again!

Explain?

I attempt to assassinate an enemy whilst on the lift but...

Explanation?

I successfully assassinate an enemy coming out of the air vent but...

Real pro's know everything about Halo, go ahead and explain! =)

Crucio

I agree with the idea of having three teams if the numbers show.
But why spread the talent? That reduces the chances of winning the tournament for the whole community.

I think the "Super Team" should be one of the three teams.
Lets call them: "Spartans, ODSTs, Marines" = "Best, middle, worst".
Doesn't that make it a bit more fun choosing teams?

How to choose the teams, perhaps using playlist stats as Tashii suggested. Because I don't think "mini tournaments" will work very well. Depending on what gametypes will be used in the tournament of course.

Is it going to be Slayer only? Or mixed with objective?

Dani said:
Are you a REAL Halo Pro? Explain WTF happens in these videos and claim your crown!

Three videos, and three mysterious events.

I was really tired last need and in need of sleep but after checking back through my saved films, I didn't make these things up. They happened. Two of them in a single game.
"She Can Swim": I've actually been in that situation, there is no hard kill zone in there but a downward bank underwater, one can potentially drive back up and out before the timer runs out.

"Explain": I can't explain. Its the will of the elevator!

"Explanation": Perhaps what happened there is similar to this clip. Evil Otto lunges with a sword but the player is jumping down to the middle floor in Countdown and his legs smash into the little barrier around the 2nd floor, and he dies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Crucio said:
I agree with the idea of having three teams if the numbers show.
But why spread the talent? That reduces the chances of winning the tournament for the whole community.

I think the "Super Team" should be one of the three teams.
Lets call them: "Spartans, ODSTs, Marines" = "Best, middle, worst".
Doesn't that make it a bit more fun choosing teams?

How to choose the teams, perhaps using playlist stats as Tashii suggested. Because I don't think "mini tournaments" will work very well. Depending on what gametypes will be used in the tournament of course.

Is it going to be Slayer only? Or mixed with objective?

I didn't say I would use playlist stats to choose the players. I just said it gives a better idea of the players ability more than the global competitive stats. That's definitely not enough to choose a player.

I don't think we're on the same page. I think it's best to do this, tell me what you guys think

12 players total.
Team 1 plays game 1
Team 2 plays game 2
Super team if necessary plays game 3.

Tashi

Hydranockz said:
Is Super Team a combination of Teams 1 & 2?

Well I don't know how it'll be split up exactly but yes, pretty much. Super team will be the 6 best players of the 12.

vhfive

Tashi0106 said:
I didn't say I would use playlist stats to choose the players. I just said it gives a better idea of the players ability more than the global competitive stats. That's definitely not enough to choose a player.

I don't think we're on the same page. I think it's best to do this, tell me what you guys think

12 players total.
Team 1 plays game 1
Team 2 plays game 2
yup best idea

Crucio

Tashi0106 said:

12 players total.
Team 1 plays game 1
Team 2 plays game 2
Are you suggesting that if Team 1 and Team 2 both lose then and only then will the Super team play?
In this case will members of the super team be in Team 1 and/or Team 2?

Tashi0106 said:
Well I don't know how it'll be split up exactly but yes, pretty much. Super team will be the 6 best players of the 12.
Yes, this certainly sounds more manageable. I'm curious, is there going to be a tournament chart? If so, how will the Super Team be able to enter in the event that they are needed?

Tashi0106 said:
If team 1 and 2 both lose, then HaloGAF loses.

If team 1 wins, team 2 plays.

If team 1 wins, team 2 loses, Super team plays game 3.

If team 1 loses, super team should play the rest of the series.

If team 1 and team 2 win, HaloGAF wins.

Who knows what these other communities will throw at us. They might be picking only a super team and running with that for all 3 games.

Sound good?
That make sense to me. If its allowed. I suppose we enter as a community and not as separate teams.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:

12 players total.
Team 1 plays game 1
Team 2 plays game 2
Go for it.

Tashi

Crucio said:
Are you suggesting that if Team 1 and Team 2 both lose then and only then will the Super team play?

If team 1 and 2 both lose, then HaloGAF loses.

If team 1 wins, team 2 plays.

If team 1 wins, team 2 loses, Super team plays game 3.

If team 1 loses, super team should play the rest of the series.

If team 1 and team 2 win, HaloGAF wins.

Who knows what these other communities will throw at us. They might be picking only a super team and running with that for all 3 games.

Sound good?

Tawpgun

Crucio said:

Yes, this certainly sounds more manageable. I'm curious, is there going to be a tournament chart? If so, how will the Super Team be able to enter in the event that they are needed?

If Team 1 and 2 lose, its game over.

Tashi has decided. Gotta ask Hitmonchan if we can do this or if we need to have 3 unique, set teams.

I guess you guys missed my edit on the last page.

Here's a (further revised) repost:
ncsuDuncan said:
I guess you could do three GAF teams: Best, Middle, Worst.
If Best and Middle both win, Worst can play the throwaway game.
If Best and Middle both lose, Worst can play the throwaway game.
If Best wins and Middle loses, Best plays again.
If Best loses and Middle wins, Middle plays again.

As long as Worst plays at least one game in the tournament, they will get a prize (if GAF wins)

Team Rosters are going to have to be flexible anyways as people drop in or out on the night of the tournament. But you're going to have to nicely sort the teams and convince Worst to allow it. If you can't be nice about it I say just let all 3 play every time.

GhaleonEB

Dax, I'm stealing one of your Ark pics for use in my Reach review. Hope you don't mind, but they were so good I didn't need to go grab one of my own.

Three things I'd like to mention:

1) I failed to mention this in my initial post, but I'd like to thank ncsuDuncan for donating the $10 DLC prizes and for his help in setting up this event. It really means a lot.

2) I've updated the original post to reflect the changes mentioned in the pages since.

3) I've set up a thread on the Halo Waypoint forums for updates and to answer any questions.

Ramirez

Is there really a need to throw your name into the tourney? Just let Tashi form the teams, then if you don't want to play you can back out and he can add someone else.

Some people are gonna get mad regardless of how it goes down. *dealwithit.jpg*

Some other things of note, IMO. No one without a GAF account should even be considered, and members of longer tenure should always be ahead of juniors, thems the breaks.

Lazslo

With all this Ark talk, I started reading AJ's "Hindsight Halo 3" page again. Now- I really wish there was some sort of "Hindsight Halo: Reach". I actually learned a lot about Halo's Fiction from reading AJ's write-ups, they were so good at connecting Halo's story. I dream of a day where FuD or 343i does something similar. I know I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. Maybe someday you can join me?

GhaleonEB said:
Dax, I'm stealing one of your Ark pics for use in my Reach review. Hope you don't mind, but they were so good I didn't need to go grab one of my own.
Nah, man, of course not! I'm...honored I guess is the right word. Haha. Will be posting another screen montage later tonight hopefully of my run of The Covenant. Looking for to this review.

Crucio

Ramirez said:
Is there really a need to throw your name into the tourney? Just let Tashi form the teams, then if you don't want to play you can back out and he can add someone else.

Some people are gonna get mad regardless of how it goes down. *dealwithit.jpg*

Some other things of note, IMO. No one without a GAF account should even be considered, and members of longer tenure should always be ahead of juniors, thems the breaks.
We should definitely consider giving long time member the chance to represent HaloGAF, because well they are HaloGAF.

But I think its important to choose from players that actually want to play.

Ramirez

Hydranockz said:
So why try change how it is going down? It's fine as is. *dealwithit.jpg*

I'm not changing anything, I was just saying he doesn't need a list to know who is best, he's just trying to not hurt feelings. :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Lazslo said:
With all this Ark talk, I started reading AJ's "Hindsight Halo 3" page again. Now- I really wish there was some sort of "Hindsight Halo: Reach". I actually learned a lot about Halo's Fiction from reading AJ's write-ups, they were so good at connecting Halo's story. I dream of a day where FuD or 343i does something similar. I know I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. Maybe someday you can join me?
Signs-point-to-yes-.jpg

Tashi

Ramirez said:
I'm not changing anything, I was just saying he doesn't need a list to know who is best, he's just trying to not hurt feelings. :p
That's mostly true but there are some Juniors who might be pretty good. You old schoolers better step your game up, I'm picking the best players regardless of how long you've been around. :p

Tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:
That's mostly true but there are some Juniors who might be pretty good. You old schoolers better step your game up, I'm picking the best players regardless of how long you've been around. :p

Although technically not a junior anymore, I kind of want to see how I stack up against the members of Team 2.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:

When are you posting your rosters, I [bart scott]can't wait[/bart scott].

Tashi

A27 Tawpgun said:
Although technically not a junior anymore, I kind of want to see how I stack up against the members of Team 2.
Good, that's the attitude. I don't want anyone to think I won't pick them because they're new to the community or that I'm playing favorites.

Tashi0106 said:
Good, that's the attitude. I don't want anyone to think I won't pick them because they're new to the community or that I'm playing favorites.

Awesome, and great! So when can I get a couple games in with you Tashi?

Please don't judge of K/D's anyone... looks are deceiving.

EDIT- Are any of these maps going to have vehicles? Just wondering.

because if one of the games was going to be on a map with them, one team might have a Banshee god on it...

Tawpgun

Are we playing DMR starts default Reach?

If so, can we agree on removing some AA's? Namely Armor Lock, Drop Shield, Evade and MAYBE Jetpack.

Or we could all agree on Classic and all will be right with the world :D

Oozer3993

Tashi0106 said:

Just a heads up, Frankie taught me how to 11 shot. Only cost me $300 too.

Ramirez

A27 Tawpgun said:

If so, can we agree on removing some AA's? Namely Armor Lock, Drop Shield, Evade and MAYBE Jetpack.

Classic is even worse than default Reach, a truly staggering feat.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Classic is great, but might throw a lot of people out of wack.

I don't see an issue with the jetpack....

What if they were jet boots?

A27 Tawpgun said:

"Teams of six will compete in "Halo: Reach" using the Bungie Humpday rules: best of three, only members of your community can play for your teams and matchmaking game types only (excluding MLG, Team Classic, Grifball and Action Sack variants). A coin flip will determine which team gets first choice. The losers of each match will choose the next game."​

So it just depends on what the losing team chooses. They could pick a Slayer variant with DMR or AR starts. They could pick a variant that is Sprint only or has Armor Lock. As long as it's in one of the "normal" matchmaking playlists.

I love classic, but I'd be frustrated if the GrifballHub team picked Grifball, so it's best to just keep it vanilla.

Tashi

I'm sorry but anything over 4v4 is DMR or bust. If these communities are picking their best players, I think they'll agree.

Ramirez

Hydranockz said:
A damn sight better than Forgehub's usual method :p

*presses up on the d-pad... nothing happens*
Where's your messiah now Forgehub???

lol, sorta like the TTL guys, take away their vehicles and they were trash. I think the SBG guys are the only other community I ever played with that were actually good in gunfights.

MrBig said:
Make sure that you are saving the actual gametypes from matchmaking, not those bogus ones that came on disc.
Yep. I think I'm going to save them all. I think someone on HBO started a library of those.

I think during the tournament I'll be setting up games. Inviting the players for the current match and setting up the gametypes, then leaving until the match is over.
Ramirez said:
Do people from Griffball Hub even know guns exist in Halo?
lol
Cut them some slack. They found a niche in Halo and they're doing great things with it. We give them grief, but they all seem to be nice people. Met a bunch at PAX and they're super friendly.

And yes, I'm inviting them to play in the tournament. Not sure if they'll be interested but if they are Tashi's going to have trouble leading GAF to victorBWAHAHA.

MrBig

A27_StarWolf said:
Spiker starts!

I actually wonder how that would go...
Wasn't BUNGLE actually implemented as a weekend playlist? That means the gametypes count as matchmaking variants.

ncsuDuncan said:
Yep. I think I'm going to save them all. I think someone on HBO started a library of those.

I think during the tournament I'll be setting up games. Inviting the players for the current match and setting up the gametypes, then leaving until the match is over.
I figured we would split that duty. That'd be a little too much for just one person to do.

That means we'll both need all of the matchmaking maps and gametypes.

MrBig said:
Wasn't BUNGLE actually implemented as a weekend playlist? That means the gametypes count as matchmaking variants.

I think the spiker would be a much more effective matchmaking weapon, as a replacement for the plasma repeater...

kylej

Banned
If the Griffball community is one of the groups we have to play I'm pretty sure we could find some blind Gaffers or maybe people missing an arm or two and still win.

Top Bottom