• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Ramirez

A27_StarWolf said:
I think the spiker would be a much more effective matchmaking weapon, as a replacement for the plasma repeater...

The repeater was actually cool in the beta, then it was changed to worthless status for retail for some reason.

NOKYARD

MrBig said:
Wasn't BUNGLE actually implemented as a weekend playlist?
I miss the Sentinel
golden showers
Beam as well. The biggest surprise i ever got in this game was seeing my (stolen) map in the Bungle playlist.

[edit]

kylej said:
If the Griffball community is one of the groups we have to play
They play for fun but a few of their payers are not too bad. (i'm not playing for them)

NOKYARD

A27_StarWolf said:
You got credit for it right?
"a map we totally didn't steal from the Grifball community" was how they put it, i believe. We never ended up using it for Grifball due to the blinding reflection off the Hammer, so it ended up as a BUNGLE exclusive.

Tawpgun

Ramirez said:
The repeater was actually cool in the beta, then it was changed to worthless status for retail for some reason.
RIP Beta Repeater.
RIP Beta Elites.

*sigh*

Anyway, what communities are interested so far?

A27 Tawpgun said:
Anyway, what communities are interested so far?

I know HBO is really interested. Someone here mentioned the Community Carnage group on bungie.net is interested as well.

I just invited GrifballHub.com. And we've posted the release on the Halo Waypoint forums.

I assume Hitmonchan has talked to some other communites as well, possibly 2old2play and ForgeHub.

Maybe if this gets enough attention we could convince some Bungie folks to hold customs as well? *holds breath*

Ramirez

Well, it looks like SBG doesn't even exist anymore, and TTL looks like a shell of its former self. Doesn't appear to be that many active/healthy Halo communities like there were for Halo 3...

Code:
[B]Confirmed:[/B]
Penny Arcade Forums
2old2play
NeoGAF 
Team Schooly D  

[B]Still waiting to hear from:[/B]
PMS Clan
High Speed Halo
GrifballHub
HBO
Halo Waypoint
Community Carnage (B.net group)

[B]Still need to contact:[/B]
Forge Hub
Rooster Teeth (someone said something on HBO, but nothing official)

If anyone has any other communities they'd like to contact, feel free to do so. Or if you're a part of the communities on the "still waiting" and "still need to contact" lists, send out the word!

Remind them to contact me via email by Friday to be added to the list. Here's the link to the Waypoint forum post if they ask for additional information:
http://halo.xbox.com/forums/general/f/14/t/6327.aspx

Tawpgun

A27_StarWolf said:
I'm waiting for a remake that takes in the player movement changes in Reach into consideration.

You mean how they got worse? I've been meaning to make a video about this.

They killed that smooth fast movement in Reach with the addition of momentum to either make it more realistic or have the animations look nicer or something.

In Halo 1, 2, and 3 you could switch directions instantaneously without losing speed. This is what made strafing so effective and the ninja backflips so prevalent. You could instantly switch directions and be moving at top player speed.

With Reach we have momentum, which basically means if you're strafing back and forth, it slows you down before you change directions. Try doing one of those ninja assassinations in Reach. You run forward, tilt the stick back and jump. In halo 3 you would have soared behind your chaser. In Reach, because of momentum, you seemingly jump straight up in the air, even though you meant to jump backwards.

This considerably slowed the game down, made strafing near non-existant, and made the movement feel a lot "clunkier" than the other Halo's.

I really hope the next one removes this momentum system.

It's been 100 posts. (Tashi I was about to submit this when you posted :p )
Code:
[B][U]Halo Community Tournament[/U][/B] [b]List of interested GAF players[/b]

[u]Tournament list[/u] (gamertag) - Currently 21/12
MrBig		(Mr Kwatz)
Plywood 		(Xenolock)
A27_StarWolf 	(A27 STARWOLF)
A27 Tawpgun	(Tawpgun)
Oozer3993		(Oozer3993)
kylej		(jelyk)
Ken		(Chocopolka)
Booshka		(Booshka)
Hypertrooper	(Hypertrooper)
Thee Henry	(the henery) - Willing to play customs if needed. (Ask nicely.)
Laughtrey		(Laughtrey)
Tashi0106		(NYSTOFMIND23)
Trasher		(TJ Trasher)
vhfive		(vhfive)
op_ivy		(LoopOfHenle) - Willing to play customs if needed. (Ask nicely.)
Ramirez		(TJ Ram) - Unsure of schedule. 
Nutter		(TJ NutterB)
Domino Theory	(Oml3t)
Thermite		(Thermight)
Sikamikanico	(Sikamikanico)
xxjuicesxx	(AnArmorLockHero)

[U]Custom Games list[/U]
Dax01		(dax01)
Lazslo		(LaszIo)
Dani		(Slightly Live)
Dug		(Nintony 64)
GhaleonEB		(GhaleonEB)
Hydranockz	(Hydranockz) - Will play in tourney if needed.
Hey You 		(Heyy Youu)
bobs99 ...	(bobs99) - Unsure of schedule.
DiabolicalBagel	(DiabolicalBagel)

If anyone has any corrections or additions to make, PM me. I think I've kept it updated well, but there's always a chance I missed somthing.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It should be out of 12 now, not 18. It's going to be 2 teams of 6. And thanks again for posting that.

Tashi

Plywood said:
Well it's up to you to choose who's in and who's out.
I know, I just don't want people to be confused when they see 19/18 instead of 19/12. Keep the same message.

Hydranockz said:
What does this mean? :lol
Just trying to be funny. ;)
Tashi0106 said:
It should be out of 12 now, not 18. It's going to be 2 teams of 6. And thanks again for posting that.
I'd still recommend submitting a roster of 18, even if you only intend to field 2 teams. Not trying to be pushy, I just think if there are any throwaway games (i.e. GAF already won/lost twice) it would be nice to already have a list of Gaffers that would like to play and haven't had a chance yet. Not to mention if GAF wins that would be 18 tournament prizes distributed instead of just 12.

Oh, and just fair warning: any butthurt about people being excluded will rest on your shoulders. If only there were some Dark Knight still around to carry such a burden... :p

Tawpgun

So now Tashi goes through and plays with some of us?

EDIT: When you do make the teams, leave the people who didn't make it as reserves in case some people can't make it.

Tashi

I wish I had a one month to add all of the people trying out. It would make the process much easier. My list is full. People could also see the new account and know it's try out time.

Edit: and yea there will definitely be reserves.

Ramirez

ncsuDuncan said:
Just trying to be funny. ;)

I'd still recommend submitting a roster of 18, even if you only intend to field 2 teams. Not trying to be pushy, I just think if there are any throwaway games (i.e. GAF already won/lost twice) it would be nice to already have a list of Gaffers that would like to play and haven't had a chance yet. Not to mention if GAF wins that would be 18 tournament prizes distributed instead of just 12.

Oh, and just fair warning: any butthurt about people being excluded will rest on your shoulders. If only there were some Dark Knight still around to carry such a burden... :p

I nominated him, people can blame me, most already dislike me so it doesn't bother me. :p

GhaleonEB said:
Just got 12,085 cR for a game of HaloBall.

Yay, and :lol.
Nice! Action Sack super jackpots need to happen more often.

And off-topic, but I can't believe L.A. Noire is coming out Tuesday. It's my most anticipated game of the year, and I can't play it for another month.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
I wish I had a one month to add all of the people trying out. It would make the process much easier. My list is full. People could also see the new account and know it's try out time.

Edit: and yea there will definitely be reserves.
I have a one month that I'm sure still has atleast two more weeks on it. It was the one I was using to share the Gears 3 beta with. Do you want it?

edit: bah just checked, it actually expired today.

zumphry

Banned
ActionSack is probably the most fun I've had in Reach. Speedpile reminds me of Myth multiplayer, but in space with vehicles. So much fun. Except for Dino Blasters. Dino Blasters sucks. A lot.

So I totally see myself just playing that when I'm bored instead of Score Attack now.

GhaleonEB

ZayneH said:
ActionSack is probably the most fun I've had in Reach. Speedpile reminds me of Myth multiplayer, but in space with vehicles. So much fun. Except for Dino Blasters. Dino Blasters sucks. A lot.

So I totally see myself just playing that when I'm bored instead of Score Attack now.
Yeah, great games. We've got something to do when Firefight's netcode is feeling crabby, as tonight.

That game of Hockey was just plain awesome. With assassinations turned off and the tweaks to the arena, it plays so good I was laughing the entire game.

I rendered the rally we had mid way through the game. We're down 0-1, and then Zayne nails the chipshot from the side, and I'm in position to knock two in right away, right over the goalies, then circle around for another.

They work their way back to a 4-4 tie, and after a few close calls, I land the winning shot from our end of the rink, a long lobbing shot that threads their goalies and breaks their hearts.

Winnar.jpg

reach_17772310_Full.jpg

That game of Hockey might have been the most fun I've had in Multiplayer since Reach came out.

If there's any justice in the world, Hockey would be the new Griffball.

wwm0nkey said:
Smashball > Hockey
Not sure I've played that. But I'm pretty sure that 16 player Plasmaball > *

NOKYARD

ZayneH said:
Well I'd think Nok would prefer it to Grifball, being Canadian and all. :p
I have never played Hockey, nor ice skated, other than on a shallow pond behind Wally's cottage with a goalie stick in one hand and my 15th Beer in the other.

long distance cycling and mountain biking was my thing

feel

Someone fast track that The Pit to matchmaking. And what's with the lists and teams? I hope I'm not missing out on something amazing by not keeping up with halogaf page by page, post by post like I used to lol

Tashi

Letters said:
Someone fast track that The Pit to matchmaking. And what's with the lists and teams? I hope I'm not missing out on something amazing by not keeping up with halogaf page by page, post by post like I used to lol
Halo community tournament and custom games. List is going around if you'd like to try out. I'm in charge of picking a winning team for HaloGAF. Awesome prizes have been donated.

And no Sik, you're not too late.

Striker

Kibbles said:
I want this in mah matchmaking.
From what I have observed, don't count on it. For selective reasons:

1) population isn't ideal, therefore not much is expected in changes from here on out
2) Jeremiah mentioned in map additions before, and was looking for primarily Halo 1/2 maps because you can still play The Pit, and Halo 3 ones, already online
3) Would never expect them to even include a Tempest map anyway, unless they made Classic as "Noble DLC" required, which again, won't happen as changes will likely not be made in the future

It's disappointing. The playlist could use maps like Sanctuary, Ascension, Turf, and Prisoner.

Tashi0106 said:
Halo community tournament and custom games. List is going around if you'd like to try out. I'm in charge of picking a winning team for HaloGAF. Awesome prizes have been donated.

And no Sik, you're not too late.

Awesome. Do I need to do anything? Shall I forward montages of my most amazing moments? :p

I put up a thread at Forge Hub asking if people want to join in on the shenanigans, so if I get a response I'll let you guys know.

This weekly is going to be rough. I might have to actually spread it out over the course of the week, it'll be a long trip on Mythic.

Top Bottom