• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tunavi said:
My dreams for the next map pack (or the one after):

2 4v4 Slayer maps. 1 map takes place inside a Forerunner Structure like the one we never got to explore from The Package.

The other is on a rooftop of a large New Alexandria skyscraper. A neutral falcon in the middle of the map sits on a landing pad. Rockets to counter, no laser.

2 BTB Maps, one for Invasion and one for BTB, but they both work for both playlists, both with a new Forge template.

The Invasion map takes place on the orbital MAC gun generators on Reach's surface. Elites invading, 2 rounds of territories and ending with a round of Assault (to destroy the generators)

The BTB map takes place in New Alexandria (think Headlong/Terminal).

1 large Firefight map (think lost platoon) with a god damn falcon on it (seriously why hasn't this happened yet?). Also a chain-gun warthog
15$

Oh and they are all good maps. No zero gravity bullshit.

I'll take commission for the idea after this sells millions and boosts the population of Reach back to the top

Seriously though, make something like this happen, 343.

Do like except for a falcon on a 4v4 map. WTH?

Havok

Tunavi said:
2 BTB Maps, one for Invasion and one for BTB, but they both work for both playlists, both with a new Forge template.
Every time they've tried to do that so far it's been a total nightmare. If they're going to make maps, they should tailor them to their specific playlists and stop this 'one-size-fits-all-playlists' bullshit that's led to the worst BTB map variants the series has ever seen, ever. Even Breakpoint, while the least of the three evils, doesn't work particularly well in straight-up BTB.

Tunavi

Banned
Havok said:
Every time they've tried to do that so far it's been a total nightmare. If they're going to make maps, they should tailor them to their specific playlists and stop this 'one-size-fits-all-playlists' bullshit that's led to the worst BTB map variants the series has ever seen, ever. Even Breakpoint, while the least of the three evils, doesn't work particularly well in straight-up BTB.
Yeah, you're right and Spire is absolutely horrible for BTB but its great for Invasion. I wanted to give the most playlists as much attention with 5 maps, but I guess one would be strictly Invasion, one strictly BTB. Its not like DLC shows up anyway lol

Steelyuhas said:
Do like except for a falcon on a 4v4 map. WTH?
There could be two variants of the map, one with the Falcon/Rockets and one without.
It would probably spawn halfway through the match, like the sword on Zealot. I thought it would be fun to have a falcon up in the sky shooting down towards a skyscraper rooftop. 1 team with 2 in the falcon for arial support, 2 on the ground. You could even take it out with a well placed plasma pistol charge and it would fall out of the sky for the double/triple kill. There's nothing wrong about a warthog on a 4v4 map, I don't see this any differently (different gameplay, yes)

and this is just my imagination running wild, remember? :p

Striker

Dax01 said:
You try to do both you'll end up doing neither very well. Same holds true for just about the Reach multiplayer maps/campaign spaces.
Not all the maps were bad. Zealot, Countdown, and Powerhouse are solid maps, even if evaded by Bungie's love for CBQ weapons (and oddly placed CTF spots). You have your half share of good ones, and bad ones - reminiscent to Halo 3. The issue people have had with the maps is the count, notably for the ones with real artwork and geometry, instead they chose the Forge World route in inducting maps as official ones.

GhaleonEB said:
This is not the scenario I described.
Man-cannon that shoots players into the center of the map. It doesn't injure them. What's your problem with it? Because they aren't pushed up? Really?

The dicussion was about what is easier to "camp", teleporters or man cannons. My example was standing behind a teleporter and killing players as they come out, because they can't see what is on the other side. You are discussing using map control to be able to pick off players from a man cannon. My point is, players on a man cannon can see where they are being shot from, and can see the landing zone that can be camped.
I am well aware of the discussion. I've been on both ends of each side. Teleporters with folks camping behind them or waiting on the side. I've also been on the other end of guys awaiting for you to jump off Valhalla's mancannon. It didn't remedy any situational ploy that teleporters could not attempt. It's basic idea is to hasten map movement. It does, in a way, but in no different form is it from teleporters. You're more prone to getting killed in air, if you aren't going to die by the time you take a couple steps on ground.

Point is you have your positives and negatives in each.

For what it's worth, I think Spire is a pretty poor example of a map with "verticality". Especially in Invasion.

The third phase is always the exact same thing.

Grab the core, jump out the window. Jump off the Spire and walk straight to the Pelican. It has the exact same problem Boneyard has. There is only one viable route, and that is the straight line from the core/flag to the capture point. It just turns into a match where the attackers spawn, carry the objective 2 feet, and die. The only strategy is to hope you can spawn fast enough to keep the core from resetting.

But I have other problems with Spire as well. Invasion disappoints me. I wish the game would treat each phase as a new round and force everyone to respawn. It baffles me that the Elites still alive and defending their territory when phase one ends are at a disadvantage when Spartans spawn between them and the phase two territories.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Get your name on that list if you still want to try out for the tournament. Try outs begin in an hour or so for who ever is on. They're going to last a few days so if you can't make it today, no biggie :)

Striker

Spire and Boneyard can be decent BTB maps for asymmetric value, but whoever designed the current phases completely ignored it.

kylej

Banned
tryouts wtf

you need two teams of 4 right

ram
nutter
trasher
eazy
tashi
juices
devin olsen
me
captain blood
plywood

whichever 8 of those 10 can show up on game day will represent GAF.

Tashi

OK, all members of HaloGAF looking to try out for this tournament add:

HaloGAF Tryout

Please no lurkers. I have a list to check the names against so don't even bother. :)

edit: Kyle, we need 2 teams of 6. A lot of people want to play so I'm gonna make it fair. Also you haven't been playing Halo in a while apparently so maybe you won't make it :p

Lazslo

I'll try out- Just to see if I can dong with the pros. Edit: If you have to many people nvm but If you need people to just play the try out games send me an invite

vhfive

Tashi0106 said:
OK, all members of HaloGAF looking to try out for this tournament add:

HaloGAF Tryout

Please no lurkers. I have a list to check the names against so don't even bother. :)

edit: Kyle, we need 2 teams of 6. A lot of people want to play so I'm gonna make it fair. Also you haven't been playing Halo in a while apparently so maybe you won't make it :p
sent even though you pretty much already know my skill level

Bread

Banned
I don't post much here, but I'm looking to play some competitive customs, would I be able to join up in the try outs?

kylej

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Also you haven't been playing Halo in a while apparently so maybe you won't make it :p

Natural talent doesn't have to practice. Give me a pair of Gunnars and some Adderall and I turn into Tsquared.

Tashi

Bread said:
I don't post much here, but I'm looking to play some competitive customs, would I be able to join up in the try outs?

Sure. Just add the GT, "HaloGAF Tryout" and I'll get around to you this week

Hey when is the roster deadline?

Booshka

I just realized I can't make it to the tournament. A friend's going away party is on that day and I can't guarantee that I will be available for the 4 hours required. Sorry, but maybe next time. I'm down to play today and during these tryouts if you need players Tashi.

Tunavi said:
There could be two variants of the map, one with the Falcon/Rockets and one without.
It would probably spawn halfway through the match, like the sword on Zealot. I thought it would be fun to have a falcon up in the sky shooting down towards a skyscraper rooftop. 1 team with 2 in the falcon for arial support, 2 on the ground. You could even take it out with a well placed plasma pistol charge and it would fall out of the sky for the double/triple kill. There's nothing wrong about a warthog on a 4v4 map, I don't see this any differently (different gameplay, yes)

and this is just my imagination running wild, remember? :p

Haha yes of course. A Falcon typically has three people in it. That leaves only one teammate on the ground. I don't think there should be any 4v4 maps with Falcons personally, it would be out of place, and wouldn't be that fun. (I do like the Falcon)

ncsuDuncan said:
For what it's worth, I think Spire is a pretty poor example of a map with "verticality". Especially in Invasion.

The third phase is always the exact same thing.

Grab the core, jump out the window. Jump off the Spire and walk straight to the Pelican. It has the exact same problem Boneyard has. There is only one viable route, and that is the straight line from the core/flag to the capture point. It just turns into a match where the attackers spawn, carry the objective 2 feet, and die. The only strategy is to hope you can spawn fast enough to keep the core from resetting.

But I have other problems with Spire as well. Invasion disappoints me. I wish the game would treat each phase as a new round and force everyone to respawn. It baffles me that the Elites still alive and defending their territory when phase one ends are at a disadvantage when Spartans spawn between them and the phase two territories.

I like Invasion quite a bit, but Spire sucks.

feel

Thanks Tashi, but no thanks! Imma spare you the awkwardness of having to be polite to me after the spectacular display of bkness.

kylej said:
tryouts wtf

you need two teams of 4 right

ram
nutter
trasher
eazy
tashi
juices
devin olsen
me
captain blood
plywood

whichever 8 of those 10 can show up on game day will represent GAF.
List seems pretty spot on from what I know on my many years of reading halogaf, but let tashi have his fun, maybe some there's some hidden new talent around these parts.

Tashi

Ramirez said:
I'm assuming you're joking, but why are we worried about RL ramifications in a game with dinosaurs and jetpacks?

Tashi are you wanting everyone to try out?

Yea because I still need to make the super team.

Is anyone overburdened with render minutes?
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=17794472

It's a 3:06 clip showing my first pass at fixing the verticality of Boneyard. I'd like to render it just to see what people think of the new geometry/gadgets I've added.

I call it Bone Patch. Haven't touched weapon placement or spawns yet. Also ignore the random Mongoose, I was using a DMR gametype that wasn't from BTB. This version of Bone Patch is intended for Slayer gametypes, I have another version I'm working on for CTF with different grav lift placements.

If no one has extra minutes that's fine. I've been meaning to upgrade to Bungie Pro eventually anyways.

Tashi

A27 Tawpgun said:
Wait so those were the actual tryouts? Oh....

Very well then. Just don't forget us because we were first :)
There will be more. That was just the initial phase.

Tunavi

Banned
Today I was on probation (because I didn't want to play Dino blasters or To the Death 3 times in a row)
So I just played a game of Invasion on Spire against a team of professional spawn killers.

They were on offense first and they were flawless. They controlled every area of the map, every weapon, vehicle. I saw one guy hide next to the banshee and actually wait for my teammate to hop in so he could immediately skyjack him.

This team had a falcon and banshee above our spawns, a sniper porched up at the end of the map, and rockets/Fuel rod gun. They waited until every objective timer was almost done before they seamlessly activated the next phase.

I worked my ass off for a few great kills with the Plasma Launcher during the second phase. I took out their falcon in mid-air after being forced to jump off the edge of the Spire by two other enemies following me. I grabbed the Plasma launcher again and took out the banshee twice. All three times I got killjoys.

It got to sudden death and this team waited with the Core right outside of the capture point until the time was down to 1 second, where he walked it right in.

Then I was just one of three left when it was our turn to be on on offense. Without a spawn bro to help me, four of them literally sat at my spawn point killing me over and over until I finally decided to quit.

"You have been temporarily banned from matchmaking for quitting too many games."
fuuuuuu_RE_Comics_Gifs_Verticals_Etc-s498x387-93636-580.jpg

Plywood said:
Quitters never win Tunavi.

Oooh I'm plywood I'm a giantic douchebag
:p jk

Havok

Striker said:
Those Bro spawns suck in general. Get 'em out.
Definitely. It causes such a ridiculous disadvantage to spawn at one side (read: at the cliff's edge on both Boneyard and Spire) on offense, not to mention the five to ten second delay between the counter reaching zero and the actual respawn. So annoying.

(also I promise that I will someday actually play Halo again, but not until this week is over. School.)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tunavi said:
It sucks and you ran into everything you didn't ask for but the system picked you up as a quitter. Just how things go. I'd have put down the game for the night at that point.

Tunavi

Banned
Plywood said:
It sucks and you ran into everything you didn't ask for but the system picked you up as a quitter. Just how things go. I'd have put down the game for the night at that point.
Yeah I deserved the ban, I quit a shitload of dumb action sack games and I even got booted for a betrayal in this game (lol yeah boot the guy going +25 and carrying your team)

GhaleonEB

Plywood said:
I think it's a fair critique of Reach that the Commendation system in multiplayer encourages much of the wrong behavior, while there are not the correct systems in place to encourage the right behavior (or punish, or thwart the wrong).

Before Reach shipped someone from Bungie mentioned in an interview - around the time the Beta was nearing - that Bungie was considering adding a way to tap out of those kinds of games, where people are quitting and one side is getting camped. Players on the team getting destroyed like that could vote to concede and end the game. Given the way Commendations encourage farming kills like you experienced, it's disappointing that no such tap out system was implemented.

Ramirez

Action Sack should have been setup like Halo 3, just something you do for fun, no experience or credits earned.

people play Halo for fun only? lol

Ramirez said:
Action Sack should have been setup like Halo 3, just something you do for fun, no experience or credits earned.

people play Halo for fun only? lol
A creditless playlist would be a wasteland
even more than normal
in Reach.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
I think it's a fair critique of Reach that the Commendation system in multiplayer encourages much of the wrong behavior, while there are not the correct systems in place to encourage - or punish, or thwart - the right behavior.
This is only very tangentially related to your post, but it's something I've been meaning to complain about for a while, and here's an opportunity. Commendations as a whole are supremely flawed, from the tiered system to the laughable payout for most of the time invested (ex: 270 Campaign missions completed nets you a total of 400 credits per grade, for a final sum of 2000 credits in total, with negligible commendation score added per game). Neat idea, terrible execution. Further gradation would help; as it is, I think a lot of people forget about the system entirely because the ranks are spread so far apart. It's something that was obviously implemented as a response to Call of Duty style progression rewards, but the difference is that those don't require 5-8 thousand actions to remind you of your progress.

stephen08

Havok said:
This is only very tangentially related to your post, but it's something I've been meaning to complain about for a while, and here's an opportunity. Commendations as a whole are supremely flawed, from the tiered system to the laughable payout for most of the time invested (ex: 270 Campaign missions completed nets you a total of 400 credits per grade, for a final payout of 2000 credits, with negligible commendation score added per game). Neat idea, terrible execution. Further gradation would help.

One problem I have noticed is that the commendations fail to advance at the same rate. I think they were originally conceived of as a way to gauge what kind of player someone is at a glance. That is to say a totally average player should advance all the commendations at the exact same rate. This is just not feasible in some cases.

I don't care how often you play Limited and try to take out the vehicles there is no way you will hit Gold in Grounded before type enemy kill commendations or weapon type commendations.

I still think it is a good system to see milestones progress as you play however.

Trasher said:
Just remove credits entirely and reinstate the rank system. Bam!

In an ideal world the H3 system worked extremely well. The problem was that people cared so much about rank it brought out some pretty lame actions within the community. For that reason I am glad it's gone.

Top Bottom