• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

GhaleonEB

Account Attempt #4 said:
I hope they'll bring doubles attack back into the fold proper, with tweaks (making it last longer with a bit more variety) and on all the available maps. If you crave your vehicle play in Firefight, you most likely won't have too good a time playing Unearthed over and over.
Unearthed, with a regular Warthog, a Ghost and a Revenant parked on it from spawn would be great fun, especially if nearly every drop ship that came in also brought an enemy vehicle (as on Beachhead). It's a fun layout to cruise around on.

The degree to which I'm stupefied that 343i and CA released a large, built-for-vehicles Firefight map then put one crappy vehicle on it at at spawn - one that requires to players to use, no less - and then made enemy vehicle drop offs rare, has only grown over time. It's akin to shipping Highlands with a Mongoose at each base as the only vehicles, and then not including any others in the Forge palette so it couldn't be updated.

It's just such an incredibly incomprehensible decision.

Hey You

I'm disappointed that this is a Score Attack type deal instead of FF Arcade.

Also today on Zealot I was playing Speedflag and noticed somehow the enemy flag fell below the map. Anyone ever have that happen?

Havok

Account Attempt #4 said:
I love Unearthed. I veto until it comes up if I'm playing score attack. I'll take doubles attack on it with a smile... BUT! Why did this not happen back when Defiant launched?

I hope they'll bring doubles attack back into the fold proper, with tweaks (making it last longer with a bit more variety) and on all the available maps. If you crave your vehicle play in Firefight, you most likely won't have too good a time playing Unearthed over and over.
But there's no reason it couldn't have been set up like Score Attack is now: Unearthed is always (or a vast majority of the time, at least) in the number one voting slot, and you cycle through the map rotation as usual. This requires more work from them, and it makes no sense. If they bring Doubles Attack back properly, they'll just have to add the other maps into the rotation, so why not do it the first time?!

I am officially baffled.

Ramirez

Havok said:
But there's no reason it couldn't have been set up like Score Attack is now: Unearthed is always (or a vast majority of the time, at least) in the number one voting slot, and you cycle through the map rotation as usual. This requires more work from them, and it makes no sense. If they bring Doubles Attack back properly, they'll just have to add the other maps into the rotation, so why not do it the first time?!

I am officially baffled.

Nothing is truly baffling anymore to me, heh.

Falagard

GhaleonEB said:
Unearthed, with a regular Warthog, a Ghost and a Revenant parked on it from spawn would be great fun, especially if nearly every drop ship that came in also brought an enemy vehicle (as on Beachhead). It's a fun layout to cruise around on.

The degree to which I'm stupefied that 343i and CA released a large, built-for-vehicles Firefight map then put one crappy vehicle on it at at spawn - one that requires to players to use, no less - and then made enemy vehicle drop offs rare, has only grown over time. It's akin to shipping Highlands with a Mongoose at each base as the only vehicles, and then not including any others in the Forge palette so it couldn't be updated.

In my opinion, both Bungie and 343i have been guilty of allowing people who don't play the game enough to make design decisions regarding multiplayer and firefight.

feel

GhaleonEB said:

I'm imagining someone from Bungie herpderptly suggested the rocket hog and 343 didn't want to make things awkward with it not being their game and went "hell yeah rocket hog it is!! Actually, nothing but rocket hog!! Such great idea."

Tunavi

Banned
Letters said:
I'm imagining someone from Bungie herpderptly suggested the rocket hog and 343 didn't want to make things awkward with it not being their game and went "hell yeah rocket hog it is!! Actually, nothing but rocket hog!! Such great idea."
I just realized that the Firefight 2.0 trailer boasts a chaingun warthog. :|
God damnit Bungie.

Ramirez

GGs guys, I still don't understand why people vote for AR Territories on Hemo, and then quit out when they get donged on, ugh.

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
I just realized that the Firefight 2.0 trailer boasts a chaingun warthog. :|
God damnit Bungie.
Oh wow. Nice catch. So they had a regular Hog on there and swapped it for the Rocket Hog. That's...depressing.

A brief rant:

Doubles Attack, Unearthed edition, features:

2X Score Attack
Skirmageddon
Rocket Attack
FRG Attack

That's it. Now to me, a two player Firefight playlist is a great opportunity for at least one "bros to the end" game type, a challenging suvival mode for two players to work together to endure. Maybe the Firefight Limited game, a full Set of mixed enemies and vehicles, but for two. Or a challenge with a steep skull progression. Something like that, mixed in with the easy and wacky game types.

I played two games of 2X on Unearthed with my daughter, and after two games, she got bored. She went to bed, and I hopped into matchmaking. I figured, it's a way to rack up a few vehicle kills easily. Game one, player runs off and doens't want to touch the Warthog. Game two, the other guy is idling. Game three, other player is rocking shotgun.

Game four, I get someone who lets me gun, while he drives. We get through the entire round that way. We stay together and switch for the next game, I drive, he shoots. We get through the full round again.

And in those two games, I've experienced all the playlist has to offer (other than Skirmageddon with the added benefit of input lag, which I'll pass on).

Like the Rocket Hog on Beachhead and Unearthed, the playlist is just a blown opportunity. Firefight, for two! But only very easy game types. Of one enemy type at a time. For one round only.

I really want someone who knows and loves Firefight to re-craft the Firefight playlists.

(Though I have to say, Arcadefight is a hoot.)

stephen08

Barrow Roll said:
Resetting divisions.
Division not displayed in other playlists.

There is little incentive to play Arena if your hard earned Onyx just goes away after 3 months even if you play consistently well enough to keep it. Having it decrease by way of poor play is one thing, just resetting it constantly like a Ladder system just turns people away.

And good players want bragging rights so that little Onyx symbol should most definitely be always proudly displayed next to your name. Who the fuck cares if someone has to dig through your service record to find out what division you were in for the last however many seasons? It would also be a visual indicator of what kind of competition you're up against instead of just having faith that true skill is doing it's job (it's not).

Motion tracker on will also be hotly debated as not having a place in a so called competitive playlist.

And why Slayer only? Objective needs some competitive loving. But lumping Objective gametypes in the playlist would upset those that want Slayer, making an Arena Objective playlist would further dilute playlist population. It's a flawed system and 1-50 honestly works better.

The purpose of the reset is to prevent people from sitting on High level accounts (since it is a percentile of the community) and to take away the benefits of making second accounts. There might be better ways to go about fixing these things but as it stands the reset fixes those two issues. One month was too short but it's since been expanded and set.

Playing to re-earn your spot should not be an issue because it's based totally off of the trueskill. Being forced to play to maintain it is totally valid. A lot of times in H3 people would get to 50 and never enter the list again and if it got to that then really what is the point of a visual rank representing someone's skill? If you can't get back up to top 1% Onyx this season, then you are obviously no longer qualified for that rank.

Making it visible in all playlists would just bring about the same shitty behavior we saw in Halo 3. People cared way too much about rank and as a result nefarious tactics were used to achieve said ranks. Now Arena may fix those problems but I think fundamentally a lot of players just don't care exactly how good they are compared to the general population. They like the idea of ranking up based on how much they play. That's why Arena is such a low population compared to Team Slayer despite both being 4v4 slayer exclusive lists.

I also do not buy that Trueskill doesn't work. Based on Bungie's statements before it sounds like it was heavily modified to work with a linear one to fifty progressive system. The only short coming I see that is consistently an issue is treating individual true skill rankings the same as a party's Trueskill ranking.

Tunavi

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Oh wow. Nice catch. So they had a regular Hog on there and swapped it for the Rocket Hog. That's...depressing.
Oh the fun that could have been had...
91BVX.png

By the way, tonight I finished an alterative introduction to Reach's campaign. I am pretty dissatisfied with the beginning of Reach's campaign, so I made a different introduction. It's about 3 minutes and I'll upload it tomorrow. You guys will like it, it's got some interesting cuts from different parts of the campaign/trailers

What ever happened the idea of being able to view previously earned Arena ranks? That was what was meant by the whole baseball scorecard right?

blamite

Hydranockz said:
What ever happened the idea of being able to view previously earned Arena ranks? That was what was meant by the whole baseball scorecard right?
They're available under your service record in-game, just not on B.net... which is all kinds of unintuitive and strange. I don't know why those stats aren't available in the same location as all of the other stats are, but they're not.

Striker

Ramirez said:
Me neither. After getting launch maps like Isolation and The Cage, I've learned my lesson.

I hope 343i gets CA to do some maps for their next Halo game. Tombstone and Desolation were good remakes that didn't slow down any of the gameplay and improved them in many ways. Highlands and Condemned are solid maps, weapon count question marks aside.

Arena sucks. Bring back 1-50 make it 1-100 for awesomeness.

Arena sucks because it resets all the time. I got Onyx once and said, hey fuck it I got that shit who cares anymore!

So in conclusion. Static #'s win. Especially if theres no cheating like Halo 2. That system was good the bar you saw fill or go down and knew if you were close to leveling. No modding equals awesome.

Also dedis so you can't host boot/lag switch/bridge/TashiNutterHost.

Fuck that'd be awesome.

Ramirez said:
I'm becoming more and more like this. 343 really needs to learn from the glaring mistakes that abound with Unearthed and make some changes for future updates (or with the next game).

The Game Complete bonus for Firefight needs to be rewired or just ditched completely to stop the AFK jerkoffs. You should be able to get a bigger bonus for destroying Covenant quickly, not just wasting time with the last few enemies to get a larger payout. Transfer it to the Commendations and the problem is solved. AFK people can't get their game complete bonus for just sitting there, they have to actually do some work for their monies. How difficult would that be to implement?

Doubles Attack is already boring. It's the same setup as Score Attack, only now there's two people to run through the level in a really short amount of time. Gametypes are bland and need a serious kick in the ass by someone who loves the playlist. A variety of difficulty choices would make this playlist really shine, not just a variety in the mindless way to kill Covenant. What's kind of depressing is thinking that a lot of people will get bored by the weak playlist offerings and Jeremiah will use that as an excuse to not bring it back. :-\

Crucio

I agree with your post stephen08. Well said.

blamite said:
They're available under your service record in-game, just not on B.net... which is all kinds of unintuitive and strange. I don't know why those stats aren't available in the same location as all of the other stats are, but they're not.
Actually previous Arena ranks are shown on bungie.net. Simply put your cursor on your current rank in your serrvice record.

Hypertrooper said:
Duncan, Can you put me into the community list? I really want to see that HaloGAF wins and because of that I believe in Tashi.
Are you saying you want to be switched over to the Customs list? Done. (Let me know if that's not what you meant and I can switch you back.)

Any other additions/changes, GAF? Keep in mind that at this point Tashi is in charge of the tournament list, so what he has may be different than what I've got posted below. I'm really just collecting the customs list now, if you're still interested in the tournament, let Tashi now and add the gamertag "HaloGAF Tryout".

Code:
[B][U]Halo Community Tournament[/U][/B] [b]List of interested GAF players[/b]

[u]Tournament list[/u]	[U](gamertag)[/U]
MrBig		(Mr Kwatz)
Plywood 		(Xenolock)
A27_StarWolf 	(A27 STARWOLF)
A27 Tawpgun	(Tawpgun)
Oozer3993		(Oozer3993)
kylej		(jelyk)
Ken		(Chocopolka)
Thee Henry	(the henery) - Willing to play customs if needed. (Ask nicely.)
Laughtrey		(Laughtrey)
Tashi0106		(NYSTOFMIND23)
Trasher		(TJ Trasher)
vhfive		(vhfive)
op_ivy		(LoopOfHenle) - Willing to play customs if needed. (Ask nicely.)
Ramirez		(TJ Ram) - Unsure of schedule.
Nutter		(TJ NutterB)
Domino Theory	(Oml3t)
Thermite		(Thermight)
Sikamikanico	(Sikamikanico)
xxjuicesxx	(AnArmorLockHero)
Bread		(Dcot)
PNut		(PNut d kidnaper)
HiredN00bs	(HiredN00bs)

[U]Custom Games list[/U]
Dax01		(dax01)
Lazslo		(LaszIo) - Trying out for tourney?
Dani		(Slightly Live)
Dug		(Nintony 64)
GhaleonEB		(GhaleonEB)
Hydranockz	(Hydranockz) - Will play in tourney if needed.
Hey You 		(Heyy Youu)
bobs99 ...	(bobs99) - Unsure of schedule.
DiabolicalBagel	(DiabolicalBagel)
Booshka		(Booshka) - Can't make it to the tourney?
Hypertrooper	(Hypertrooper) - Moved from tourney list.
When Tashi releases the final Tourney roster, anyone listed above that isn't on Tashi's list will be added to the customs list.

I'd like to make customs, but I'm really busy this week. Finished my last exam on Monday, working on a budget I need to submit tomorrow and then move home on Friday.

Falagard

GhaleonEB said:

Err, I'm tired and not firing on all cylinders today, but are there no Firefight maps in Reach that have a regular Hog?

Maybe there's a technical limitation to why 343i / CA couldn't put a regular Hog on Unearthed.

Falagard said:
Maybe there's a technical limitation to why 343i / CA couldn't put a regular Hog on Unearthed.
Sounds far-fetched (in that I would assume Rocket Hogs are more costly to compute and render than a traditional Hog) but if true, why not say it?

Falagard said:
Err, I'm tired and not firing on all cylinders today, but are there no Firefight maps in Reach that have a regular Hog?

I think it would make things too easy. Because most firefight matchmaking games are pretty easy.

blamite

Crucio said:
Actually previous Arena ranks are shown on bungie.net. Simply put your cursor on your current rank in your serrvice record.
Yeah, but some genius decided this should only give you your rank from only the last and current seasons. If you want anything further back, let's say you want to see how you did in Season 1, that's nowhere to be found on the site.

A27_StarWolf said:
I think it would make things too easy. Because most firefight matchmaking games are pretty easy.
This is easy enough to hedge against by way of skull progression/ enemy combos. These tools ARE built in and can easily be arranged to address any imbalance caused by using a chain gun hog. The tools that aren't built in are the ones needed to change out the rocket hog, and this is the mind boggling bit.
It doesn't work and they can't change it, ever. Bad decision any way you slice it. They've built this flexible, post-ship balancing system and then found a way to render it useless in a sense.
The only reason I can divine that they went for the rocket hog(since we'll likely never hear a reasonable explanation for it's inclusion) is that it's new to Reach. ZOMG, rawketz! Ship it!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A27_StarWolf said:
I feel like a chain gun hog would make things really easy on beach head, I can't say the same for unearthed, because the enemy gets more cover
The deciding factor should have been fun.

The regular Warthog is more fun than the Rocket variant.

Anyways, Firefight in Reach isn't suited to vehicles. There's no Lost Platoon. It's like they took away one of the reasons why Firefight was so awesome in ODST. Unearthed, for all it's strengths, isn't a vehicle map at all.

Dani said:
The deciding factor should have been fun.

The regular Warthog is more fun than the Rocket variant.

Anyways, Firefight in Reach isn't suited to vehicles. There's no Lost Platoon. It's like they took away one of the reasons why Firefight was so awesome in ODST. Unearthed, for all it's strengths, isn't a vehicle map at all.

I agree, they should have been thinking fun. I think Reach does infantry combat really well, and even though there is no lost platoon.....

I think Reach Firefight would be really fun if they had a close quarters, inside a base firefight map. In Oni sword base you see those rooms where obviously some sort of firefight occurred, I just think it would be really climactic to keep being pushed back and back, till you had no where left to run, maybe a turret encampment, and you battle it out to the death.

Falagard

GhaleonEB said:

Right... but the shipped version doesn't have a regular Warthog. This is just speculation, but if there was a bug or technical problem with the regular Warthog on Firefight it might explain why it doesn't appear on Unearthed. (In the same way that they removed the Revenant from maps because it has a bug where it goes flying off when driving over some forge placed items).

I really don't think the answer is "because the regular Warthog is overpowered".

Dani said:
Anyways, Firefight in Reach isn't suited to vehicles. There's no Lost Platoon. It's like they took away one of the reasons why Firefight was so awesome in ODST. Unearthed, for all it's strengths, isn't a vehicle map at all

Yes, very disappointed in Firefight in Reach. It was pretty awesome in ODST.

*edit*

Reach has some great Firefight additions, it's just disappointing that it didn't achieve its full potential and I really liked Lost Platoon because of its vehicles.

ncsuDuncan said:
Are you saying you want to be switched over to the Customs list? Done. (Let me know if that's not what you meant and I can switch you back.)

Any other additions/changes, GAF? Keep in mind that at this point Tashi is in charge of the tournament list, so what he has may be different than what I've got posted below. I'm really just collecting the customs list now, if you're still interested in the tournament, let Tashi now and add the gamertag "HaloGAF Tryout".

When Tashi releases the final Tourney roster, anyone listed above that isn't on Tashi's list will be added to the customs list.
I'm down for both. GT: HiredN00bs (the "o"s are zeros)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Falagard said:
Right... but the shipped version doesn't have a regular Warthog. This is just speculation, but if there was a bug or technical problem with the regular Warthog on Firefight it might explain why it doesn't appear on Unearthed. (In the same way that they removed the Revenant from maps because it has a bug where it goes flying off when driving over some forge placed items).

I really don't think the answer is "because the regular Warthog is overpowered".

A bug with the regular hog?

I'd buy the overpowered explanation over a bug with something as basic as the hog any day.

Plus, that would be a shit reason. I wouldn't want to believe that Bungie couldn't fix a bug like that in time for ship.

343 and/or Certain Affinity need to make the following map pack:

- 8v8 Covenant Forge World with a hangar interior and space exterior
(or Human Forge World with a flat canvas, Headlong default layout.)
- 4v4 1-Flag CTF map (in the vein of Zanzibar or High Ground)
- 4v4 Arena map (similar to The Pit or even Midship)

And as an easy bonus:
Open Map: New_Alexandria_Club_Errera > Ctrl+C > Ctrl+V > Save as: Firefight_Crater
Or maybe another Lost Platoon.

HiredN00bs said:
I'm down for both. GT: HiredN00bs (the "o"s are zeros)
I'll edit my post and add you if you edit yours and remove the large quote.

GhaleonEB

Falagard said:
My understanding is, objects are baked into the map file, and that map file doesn't affect any other map. So at once point they had the regular Hog, and replaced it with the Rocket Hog. It wasn't a technical limitation prior to ship, but it is now, because FF maps cannot be updated post ship.

The regular Warthog is used on that same space in Campaign with no issue.

Ghaleon, I'm confused on something. I've seen you say before that you walk for every vehicle section in the campaign because you don't like the way any of the vehicles drive. If I'm remembering that correctly, why do you personally want the rocket hog to be replaced with a regular Warthog? Just so you can have gunner?

stephen08

xxjuicesxx said:
Arena sucks. Bring back 1-50 make it 1-100 for awesomeness.

Arena sucks because it resets all the time. I got Onyx once and said, hey fuck it I got that shit who cares anymore!

So in conclusion. Static #'s win. Especially if theres no cheating like Halo 2. That system was good the bar you saw fill or go down and knew if you were close to leveling. No modding equals awesome.

Also dedis so you can't host boot/lag switch/bridge/TashiNutterHost.

Fuck that'd be awesome.

So basically once you achieve the high rank you don't want to keep playing ranked. So what's the problem if they take away the rank you got? 3 days of 4 games is not a lot over the course of 3 months. If you aren't willing to play on your Trueskill ranking then what's the point?

To go into non-ranked lobbies and be able to gloat over others?

Havok

Dax01 said:
Ghaleon, I'm confused on something. I've seen you say before that you walk for every vehicle section in the campaign because you don't like the way any of the vehicles drive. If I'm remembering that correctly, why do you personally want the rocket hog to be replaced with a regular Warthog? Just so you can have gunner?
Even if they both drive poorly, at least one of them doesn't shoot projectiles that do the equivalent of a soggy Kleenex in damage.

Dax01 said:

I can't speak for Ghaleon, but my views are as such:
- The driver/gunner AI is the problem with vehicles in Campaign. As good as it is compared to other games it can mean death to the player in a solo Legendary run. You don't run into that problem playing with other humans in Co-op or Firefight.

- The Rocket Hog is good for one thing: Blowing up Covenant vehicles (air or ground).
The other 90% of the time in Firefight it will most likely:
a) prove ineffective against Covenant ground troops
b) flip the Warthog over when an inexperienced gunner shoots a rock... or the ground.
c) betray/disrupt/annoy co-op or firefight partners​

A Rocket Hog would be more useful if Unearthed was littered with Covenant vehicles, but for the current setup a Chain Gun Warthog would be more effective in all respects.

stephen08 said:
So basically once you achieve the high rank you don't want to keep playing ranked. So what's the problem if they take away the rank you got? 3 days of 4 games is not a lot over the course of 3 months. If you aren't willing to play on your Trueskill ranking then what's the point?

To go into non-ranked lobbies and be able to gloat over others?
I think the monthly seasons at launch scared most players away from Arena. The 3-month season is better, but it's a case of too little too late. I think the Arena playlist should be eliminated and the current Team Slayer and Team Objective playlists should have Arena rankings.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Main reason I walk is becuse of the friendly AI in Campaign. When doing no-death runs - which I try to do each game - they are a massive liability.

Also, on general principle, if you're going to have a Firefight map for vehicles, I'd rather have a good Warthog on the map than one that is not fun.

This fight - Rocket Hog vs. Ultras - was an excercise in frustration. In a regular Hog, we'd have just shot the damn things.

stephen08

ncsuDuncan said:
I think the monthly seasons at launch scared most players away from Arena. The 3-month season is better, but it's a case of too little too late. I think the Arena playlist should be eliminated and the current Team Slayer and Team Objective playlists should have Arena rankings.

That would be really great. Now that it's win/loss based it should be applied to MLG as well.

GhaleonEB said:
Main reason I walk is becuse of the friendly AI in Campaign. When doing no-death runs - which I try to do each game - they are a massive liability.

Also, on general principle, if you're going to have a Firefight map for vehicles, I'd rather have a good Warthog on the map than one that is not fun.

This fight - Rocket Hog vs. Ultras - was an excercise in frustration. In a regular Hog, we'd have just shot the damn things.
Oh. Hm. Yeah, that seemed frustrating.

Falagard

Dani said:
A bug with the regular hog?

I'd buy the overpowered explanation over a bug with something as basic as the hog any day.

Plus, that would be a shit reason. I wouldn't want to believe that Bungie couldn't fix a bug like that in time for ship.

Wouldn't surprise me, simply because they wouldn't *need* to fix it.

I'm actually trying to work out a logical reason why 343i and Certain Affinity put a crappy vehicle like the Rocket Hog on Unearthed and the only thing I can think of is because of some technical limitation.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Falagard said:
Wouldn't surprise me, simply because they wouldn't *need* to fix it.

I'm actually trying to work out a logical reason why 343i and Certain Affinity put a crappy vehicle like the Rocket Hog on Unearthed and the only thing I can think of is because of some technical limitation.

What technical limitation? If anything, the Rockethog presents a far larger possible technical hurdle.

Plus, there's already a turret on the map, so it couldn't be a technical issue.

I think it's more likely they went with consistency with Beachhead.

Dani said:
What technical limitation? If anything, the Rockethog presents a far larger possible technical hurdle.

Plus, there's already a turret on the map, so it couldn't be a technical issue.
Something something warthog shadows something something.

Is there a FF mode with no AAs?

Top Bottom