• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Well since Unearthed is DLC, would it be possible to swap the Warthogs and make everyone re-download?

I mean, we already assume 343 and/or CA is working on more Reach DLC anyways, right?

I guess that would only happen if there was a huge bug with Defiant and they already had to certify a replacement download.

This'll be my last bit of speculation on the matter seeing as nothing can be done about it: The rocket hog is Reach's new hotness, regardless of it's fun factor or lack there of. This is why it's in FF and most likely why you didn't see it in the e3 video above (er, previous page); they were saving the awesome surprise for launch (yay). Blowing stuff up. Pretty 'splosions. New hotness
old and busted

Falagard

Dani said:
What technical limitation? If anything, the Rockethog presents a far larger possible technical hurdle.

Plus, there's already a turret on the map, so it couldn't be a technical issue.

I think it's more likely they went with consistency with Beachhead.

By technical limitation I'm talking about a bug Dani... not like it was a performance problem. I should have said "bug" instead but I'm tired.

As in... oh snap, under certain circumstances bug X occurs when a regular Warthog is used on a Firefight map.

Being a programmer myself, I can imagine how this would play out:

1. Designers place a regular Warthog on Beachhead, take some videos. Designers decide they'd rather have a Rocket Warthog on Beachhead.

2. A bug is logged that problem X occurs when a regular Warthog is used on a Firefight map. Who knows what X is, could be the AI freaks out or the the Hog physics cause a problem or whatever.

3. Bug severity is deemed non critical because there is only one Firefight map that uses vehicles and it is using a Rocket Hog. Other bugs are fixed before this one.

4. Other bugs are fixed with higher severity until studio runs out of time, leaving less critical bugs in game.

Game ships.

I'm not saying that's what happened, but it's possible.

Tawpgun

Anyway they could buff the thing?

Honestly, even if it was in matchmaking, if I'm facing infantry I would prefer the chain gun.

Crucio

Oh boy what a round of Courtyard Limited I just had. Unfortunately it didn't live up to Ghal's epic runs but it was so close.

Lets just say that my 3 random allies were dying constantly and always jumping into the fray, Kamikaze style.

I managed to save the first two rounds thanks to the DMR. I stayed alive for the entire run, until 5 enemies remaining. Yes! One of the ranger elites decides to charge and jetpack towards me with his concussion rifle. Well, just as he reached eye level and just before I pop his shields I ran out of DMR, I decided to melee him, unfortunately he got the better of me!

Only a few more enemies! Gah! So frustratiing! Especially if I have a 5 digit score and they all had 4 digits. Rough!

I think however one of the main reasons I survived up until that point is that I had no Ultra drops at all, all but one hazard drop was Brutes. I think that a first for me, there's always Ultras on Counrtyard!

About the warthog situation in firefight, I agree, there must be some sort reason they can't put in it the maps! Perhaps they didn't want to make it too easy?
I mean if you could sport a Gauss hog in firefight you could probably defeat an entire set in less then 5 minutes.

Crucio said:
About the warthog situation in firefight, I agree, there must be some sort reason they can't put in it the maps! Perhaps they didn't want to make it too easy?
I mean if you could sport a Gauss hog in firefight you could probably defeat an entire set in less then 5 minutes.
In my opinion, the chain gun Warthog wasn't overpowered on Lost Platoon, especially once the Tilt skull was activated.
I miss that skull progression.

If anything the Chopper was the overpowered vehicle.
I miss the Chopper too.

Why do people play Firefight only over matchmaking? Firefight Classic is still awesome. :D But I'm missing the normal Hog. The Gauss Hog would be okay, too. :)

ncsuDuncan said:
343 and/or Certain Affinity need to make the following map pack:

- 8v8 Covenant Forge World with a hangar interior and space exterior
(or Human Forge World with a flat canvas, Headlong default layout.)
- 4v4 1-Flag CTF map (in the vein of Zanzibar or High Ground)
- 4v4 Arena map (similar to The Pit or even Midship)

And as an easy bonus:
Open Map: New_Alexandria_Club_Errera > Ctrl+C > Ctrl+V > Save as: Firefight_Crater

Or maybe another Lost Platoon.

I'll edit my post and add you if you edit yours and remove the large quote.

I find it really odd that Crater is in Reach's campaign, but its not a Firefight map.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Steelyuhas said:
I find it really odd that Crater is in Reach's campaign, but its not a Firefight map.

It's like they went through the effort of putting it in the game, but stopped about halfway through.

Maybe Bungie couldn't get the rights to it. The crotchety old guy that owns Club Errera probably didn't want Firefight idlers on his lawn.

I kid, I kid. :p

Hydranockz said:
Something something warthog shadows something something.

Is there a FF mode with no AAs?
Funny you ask, because I was thinking of making a custom variant that had no AAs and make it closer to the ODST version. Real shame that you can't set AA's as a weapon drop, because that could be an interesting twist.

Tunavi

Banned
Alright, here it is: Tunavi's Alternative Intro to Reach

Don't think about the context too much. Basically I wanted the game to start past the invasion of the Covenant fleet. I wanted the game to feel like the war of Reach at the very beginning. I put a few good hours into this and I had a lot of fun making it, so enjoy it HaloGAF!

Hitmonchan or Louis, if it's good enough maybe you could put it on the HBO news feed :)

Account Attempt #4 said:
This'll be my last bit of speculation on the matter seeing as nothing can be done about it: The rocket hog is Reach's new hotness, regardless of it's fun factor or lack there of. This is why it's in FF and most likely why you didn't see it in the e3 video above (er, previous page); they were saving the awesome surprise for launch (yay). Blowing stuff up. Pretty 'splosions. New hotness
old and busted

This.

The regular hog is more fun, but the rocket hog is more new and shiny.

I just wish they parked a regular hog next to it so that we could choose what we wanted and have 4 players all in vehicles. Infact they should have added a bunch more vehicles in a hanger somewhere. I know it would be overpowered but a banshee or a falcon would be a hell of a lot of fun on Firefight.

Tunavi said:

Don't think about the context too much. Basically I wanted the game to start past the invasion of the Covenant fleet. I wanted the game to feel like the war of Reach at the very beginning. I put a few good hours into this and I had a lot of fun making it, so enjoy it HaloGAF!

Hitmonchan or Louis, if it's good enough maybe you could put it on the HBO news feed :)
I liked the editing and most of the stuf you put in but I have a few questions about it, canon whise:

The part from the live action trailer with Kat, is that supposed to show something that is going to happen, is happening at that moment or has happened? The same for the spartan looking at New Alexandria.

And an interesting choise to let the campaign start with LnoS. In your version, would Jorge also die in that mission?

I've been thinken about trying to alter the dates and times of the campaign missions and maybe a part of the last mission but my motivation lis lacking. But I think if I could finish it, it wouldn't be a bad alternative, maybe in a few months when I have more time.

Tunavi

Banned
Tha Robbertster said:
I liked the editing and most of the stuf you put in but I have a few questions about it, canon whise:

The part from the live action trailer with Kat, is that supposed to show something that is going to happen, is happening at that moment or has happened? The same for the spartan looking at New Alexandria.

And an interesting choise to let the campaign start with LnoS. In your version, would Jorge also die in that mission?

I've been thinken about trying to alter the dates and times of the campaign missions and maybe a part of the last mission but my motivation lis lacking. But I think if I could finish it, it wouldn't be a bad alternative, maybe in a few months when I have more time.
The live action was just a montage of what has been happening on Reach. I know in the context of the trailer it was on another planet.
The events in the game would have played out completely differently if it were up to me. I wouldn't have had noble team going around turning off anti-air guns and saving civilians. :/ It would have been more about science fiction, Master Chief in space with Captain Keyes, Buck, ect. I didn't care much for noble team.

krakov

Did the weekly earlier today, is it even possible to do the Glacier last stand without cheesing the turrets? I also found it funny that if you highjack a banshee you'll get destroyed by ghosts, even when flying right above them and/or really far away.

Generally though, a pretty easy LASO I think, we had 18 deaths playing 2p coop.

I know a lot of your guys like them, but I'll be happy when the LASO challenges are finished. I like weekly challenges that require you to invest time over the week in order to reach a goal (preferably in mutiplayer or firefight).

I wonder if they'll do a 'Lone Wolf' LASO weekly...
lol sorry that was dumb

Tunavi said:
The live action was just a montage of what has been happening on Reach. I know in the context of the trailer it was on another planet.
The events in the game would have played out completely differently if it were up to me. I wouldn't have had noble team going around turning off anti-air guns and saving civilians. :/ It would have been more about science fiction, Master Chief in space with Captain Keyes, Buck, ect. I didn't care much for noble team.

Oh yeah, I know that you're saying that with the live action part, but I was wondering if the life action was happening during ''the start'' of the game.

Are you planning on working out a whole story? I'm pretty interested :)

Tunavi

Banned
Tha Robbertster said:
Oh yeah, I know that you're saying that with the live action part, but I was wondering if the life action was happening during ''the start'' of the game.

Are you planning on working out a whole story? I'm pretty interested :)
I've had concepts that would have been really cool as a storyline for Reach. I might sit down and draw it out. It would probably be more based on the book than the game.

Tawpgun

The starting of the game at the invasion would have been a better intro. But how do you build a story around an invasion that lasted only a few hours. The first half the of game would be an epic all out global war that ends in tragedy. Then what?

They should have kept the story more or less the same, just fleshed it out more. Make the intro to the covenant a LOT more dire. Then make sure the story EXPLAINS how the covenant got here undected, why the military HUB of the UNSC seems so small time, and why its taking the rest of humanities fleet so long to return.

Make the spartans more likable, have time to build a connection with them. Flesh them out. Flesh the planet out more, explain its history, its importance and not "ITS JUST TOO DAMN IMPORTANT"

Have humans scared to death, have them dying. Have the players actions doom civillians for the greater military good. Something like this.

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
Why do people play Firefight only over matchmaking? Firefight Classic is still awesome. :D But I'm missing the normal Hog. The Gauss Hog would be okay, too. :)
In my experience, the matchmaking system does a pretty good job at getting me games with fairly little lag. Not always, but since I started searching for only good connections, probably 90% of my games are pretty good. Custom games, or with someone in the party, usually throw that off and result in much worse connection for me.

Anecdotal, but that's my experience.

stephen08 said:
So basically once you achieve the high rank you don't want to keep playing ranked. So what's the problem if they take away the rank you got? 3 days of 4 games is not a lot over the course of 3 months. If you aren't willing to play on your Trueskill ranking then what's the point?

To go into non-ranked lobbies and be able to gloat over others?

Ughh because Trueskill hardly works? I won 80% of my arena games. Its just a shitty playlist anyways, I really don't find it fun or competitive even for that matter. MLG is much more competitive. Now that they fixed Arena to be decided based only on win/loss, I don't even understand why MLG isn't the official Arena playlist.

I also want to know what skill I am in different playlists not one (Arena) or a few.

It also was like 4 games and like 10 days or something and then reset after a month. That was hard on me I only had time to play on the weekend cause I was working hard the early months of Reach (still am kinda) Do the math 4 weeks in a month 2 days off a week thats 8 days of weekends in a month...Plus Arena is so team dependent you have to make sure you have friends on or else randoms will screw you out of your real rating, because yea you can be good but you can't take on a real team 3v4 or worse when your randoms suck or decide to quit (which is practically every game these days)...and thats not always happening your friends got shit to do.

I like the numbers because I go make my rank on my own time over time. If I want to grind for a bit I can but I can also sit on it and go do me. After all its just a game, it needs to be liberal with its demands. The new Arena learned this fact, except it was ruined already by low player count and frankly its just a bad playlist with frequent changes gave it no prestige...first seasons had armor lock and terrible things until season 3? No DMR's...ugh. Furthermore its ruined because you can get an onyx after what 26 games now or something? big deal! that proves nothing. 1-50 took at least 40 games if you weren't being boosted and sometimes a LOT more as you could see your player development if you ever chased it. I'd rather have had to play a lot in a long time than play a little in a long time. They need to just remove the time cap forever and update your rank constantly to show you where you are playing.

Are you really saying you prefer the Arena to the 1-50 Halo has had?

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/default.aspx?player=stephen087 Is that you? You're a Eclipse? Damn. You seem good too which is awesome.

GhaleonEB said:
In my experience, the matchmaking system does a pretty good job at getting me games with fairly little lag. Not always, but since I started searching for only good connections, probably 90% of my games are pretty good. Custom games, or with someone in the party, usually throw that off and result in much worse connection for me.

Anecdotal, but that's my experience.

I have also had pretty good connection experiences once I started selecting 'good connection' for Firefight.

Also, it seems to give me host quite a bit lately.

Booshka

The comments on that Reach Trick Jumping video got infinitely more idiotic once Urk posted it on Bnet. When I linked it here there were like 300 views and a bunch of 'awesome/cool vid" comments. Now it is a bunch, of "lol use a jetpack" and, "this is pointless in MM" comments. Gotta love that community.

Tunavi

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
Tunavi's sister shut off his xbox while we were playing.

Get owned by a 16 year old girl.
I think I choked on a killtastrophe in that CTF game on Boneyard. I got in tank and got a double kill, then missed a third guy who ran behind a wall. Then I got a killtacular after the multi-kill timer reset. That third guy would have linked the two together, it must have been 5 seconds.
Oh well, tank multi-kills aren't very impressive anyway.

Oh, and good joke Starwolf
Booshka said:
Happens to me every game

feel

Booshka said:
The comments on that Reach Trick Jumping video got infinitely more idiotic once Urk posted it on Bnet. When I linked it here there were like 300 views and a bunch of 'awesome/cool vid" comments. Now it is a bunch, of "lol use a jetpack" and, "this is pointless in MM" comments. Gotta love that community.
Seems worth a watch, anything crazy on it like jumping off an airborne cone on to top sniper on the Pit?

edit- watching anyways

Tunavi said:

It looks like they did just that. :)

Booshka gets a shout out, too.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hitmonchan107 said:
:^)

I'm so excited for E3.

I feel like it's the only time of the year that still holds the magical air that Christmas used to have.
I know. I love E3.

Hitmonchan107 said:
:^)

I'm so excited for E3.

I feel like it's the only time of the year that still holds the magical air that Christmas used to have.

Who's going? Who's taking me?

I FINISHED THE LAST OF MY CLASSES!

I will be playing some halo tonight.

Domino Theory said:
Have fun. :)
I'm not going this year. I won't have the money in time, sadly. :^(

But if Bungie isn't going to be there, I'm not that disappointed. I wouldn't be able to get into the big press conferences, so I'd spend $800 only to watch the darn things on my laptop.

Edit: 1UP is having an E3 blogger contest. I thought about trying that out, but I'm coming up short on ideas.

squidhands said:
Real shame that you can't set AA's as a weapon drop, because that could be an interesting twist.
Before Reach released I presumed that was how they would work in versus and Firefight. Loadouts yes, but also certain AAs placed on maps as power items or drops in Firefight. Really surprised that it isn't supported.

If for example there was a single armor lock on a map (and excluded from loadouts) we'd see fewer arguments about how it (or whatever other AAs people hate on) ruins the game, yadda yadda.

Edit: Oh and GhaleonEB, did you ever write up your Reach review/manifesto? Or did I just miss it? Been busy as hell so this thread is hard to keep up with.

Booshka

NullPointer said:
Before Reach released I presumed that was how they would work in versus and Firefight. Loadouts yes, but also certain AAs placed on maps as power items or drops in Firefight. Really surprised that it isn't supported.

If for example there was a single armor lock on a map (and excluded from loadouts) we'd see fewer arguments about how it (or whatever other AAs people hate on) ruins the game, yadda yadda.

Edit: Oh and GhaleonEB, did you ever write up your Reach review/manifesto? Or did I just miss it? Been busy as hell so this thread is hard to keep up with.
I think the AA argument was had earlier, and MLG does treat them like Pickups, with respawn timers and deliberate map placement in mind. Evade is treated as a power weapon in MLG, and Jetpack is just a player choice for certain maps.

I think a lot of issues with this game could be alleviated if the General Playlists in MM adopted this mentality.

A27_StarWolf said:
Tunavi's sister shut off his xbox while we were playing.

Get owned by a 16 year old girl.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

A27_StarWolf said:
I FINISHED THE LAST OF MY CLASSES!

I will be playing some halo tonight.

What are you a 16 year old girl? Go drinking. Heavily.

c wat i needz there?!

Top Bottom