• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

wwm0nkey

urk said:
No, we didn't. Totally false.
Well still good to know, think it was just 1 or 2 guys that just got angry that they where laid off at one time or another?

EDIT: Also still cant wait for an official announcement on the next game :D

wwm0nkey said:
So if those Destiny rumors are true (probably are with all the current evidence) that means 2 things

1.Bungie MMO! AWESOME!
2.Bungie really did lay off a lot of people :(

No. From what I understand those people were contractors and their contracts were not renewed. They were never full Bungie employees and weren't tricked into thinking so. One of them was wrongly expecting a permanent position and got angry when it wasn't offered after his contract expired.

It would be like hiring a neighborhood kid to mow your lawn and he gets angry when you don't adopt him into the family after the lawn has been mowed. Also you didn't let him come inside and eat your food or sleep in your guest bedroom. So he tells everyone the details of the secret novel you are writing. This metaphor is getting out of hand. Stop me before I try to work 343 and Activision in there somewhere.

Again, the contractor thing is just my understanding, that could be just as false as the layoffs.

Teknoman said:
Btw, anyone know if we're free to keep those Halo Reach new disc format discs?
Yes. That's your compensation for helping test the system update.

GhaleonEB

Jeremiah causes Ghaleon joygasm:

Creating a permanent Firefight playlist for 2 players is definitely something we've been interested in doing.

The implementation will need to be a bit more generalized than our existing Firefight playlists. Which is more compelling for 2 players... Score Attack, Firefight Arcade or Firefight Limited? I think they're all options that players would like to have available and we can offer all of those core experiences in a single playlist, the downside is that we won't be able to provide the variety of each experience that we do in the existing playlists.

Anwyays, Firefight Doubles is being worked on. Let's hope for June?​
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=60442848&viewreplies=true&postRepeater1-p=3

Squid, you and me. Bros to the end.

wwm0nkey

ncsuDuncan said:
No. From what I understand those people were contractors and their contracts were not renewed. They were never full Bungie employees and weren't tricked into thinking so. One of them was wrongly expecting a permanent position and got angry when it wasn't offered after his contract expired.

It would be like hiring a neighborhood kid to mow your lawn and he gets angry when you don't adopt him into the family after the lawn has been mowed. Also you didn't let him come inside and eat your food or sleep in your guest bedroom. So he tells everyone the details of the secret novel you are writing. This metaphor is getting out of hand. Stop me before I try to work 343 and Activision in there somewhere.

Again, the contractor thing is just my understanding, that could be just as false as the layoffs.
Actually the contract thing makes perfect sense. Probably a good thing that guy wasnt a full time Bungie employee eithere lol

Teknoman said:
Btw, anyone know if we're free to keep those Halo Reach new disc format discs?
Yes they are ours to keep.

squidhands said:
Hell yes. You have my
energy
sword.

...and my shield
world

..AND MY
H
AX!

Karl2177 said:
Does anyone know:
1) Will they work in any other consoles besides the test console?
2) What the extra ~.1 GB is on the disc?
1) Yes. As long as that Xbox has downloaded the latest system update (confirmed with Xbox Support via Twitter).
2) The update flashed the disc drive software, making it compatible with a new format that has slightly more space (they also reduced the amount of space taken by the old security software). This extra space means nothing to the consumer. Future games might be able to fit more on a disc, but that's it. Don't worry about it.

Karl2177

ncsuDuncan said:
Does anyone know:
1) Will they work in any other consoles besides the test console?

Also, I actually had fun playing this game again. I saw the Headcase medal pop up, and for some unknown reason my brain said "that was cool". Just need more awesomeness to appear out of thin air like it did for Halo 2 and 3 MP.

Teknoman

wwm0nkey said:
Actually the contract thing makes perfect sense. Probably a good thing that guy wasnt a full time Bungie employee eithere lol

Yes they are ours to keep.

ncsuDuncan said:

Awesome, going to be doing alot of MP all around since i'm off on vacation :D

MrBig

Karl2177 said:
It's either from changing the build to work with the new disc format or it's the sys update being included in the game file for whatever reason.

Ramirez

neoism said:
ok BUNGLE wtf... How long does probation last. I got an information message, just a minute ago, after my system updated, saying I quit to many games. I did 2 days ago. 5 games in 7. I finally for the first time ever. Got a 15 minutes MM ban. No big deal. After that I played like 13 games in a row, to get the challenge yesterday, I didn't quit anymore that night. :/

Reach is so good, why would you ever want to quit 5 out of 7 games?
lol

neoism

ncsuDuncan said:
What? I have a hard time understanding your post, but if you quit 6 games within a few days I think a 15 minute ban is appropriate.

If anything I think Reach's quitter punishment is not severe enough. Players that quit at the beginning of a 4v4 match are ruining a roughly 10-minute game for 7 other people. I think 15 minutes is a small price to pay for causing 70 combined minutes of frustration.

I'd guess that I've quit about 5 multiplayer matches since launch. So that may make me biased against quitters, but I think:

- If you quit a game you shouldn't be allowed back into Matchmaking until that game is over.

- If your team has 2 players less than the enemy team the game should give you three options:
A) vote to surrender
B) vote to even teams
C) continue with uneven teams

If option A is picked, the game ends in a tie but gives the enemy team the same number of credits as if they had won.
If option B is picked, the game chooses one player on the other team and switches his color (selection is based on party size and trueskill, so it tries to even the skill of what is left without breaking up parties/guests). The points that player scored for his original team remain with that team and the player now has two entries in the post-game carnage report.

But hopefully steeper quit punishments would reduce the number of uneven games.
Sorry, after reading it again, it really didn't make any since lol. I quit out 5 games of 7, yesterday night, and got my first ever 15 minute ban. I wasn't mad or anything, I just surfed gaf a little. I then played 13 games in a row, and the quit for the night. I turn on the system to play again today, and I get the same message saying I quit too many games, and I would probably get another ban again. I've played about 20+ games so far without quitting, why am I getting that shitty message. I really don't quit that much, I was just mad at my play last night. In the 1400+ games in MM I've probably only quit like 20 games.

neoism

Ramirez said:
Reach is so good, why would you ever want to quit 5 out of 7 games?
lol
It is so good, its my favorite FPS in 10+ years. I'd hate to be as big of a Halo fan as I am and not love REACH. I was just playing shitty last night.

neoism said:
Sorry, after reading it again, it really didn't make any since lol. I quit out 5 games of 7, yesterday night, and got my first ever 15 minute ban. I wasn't mad or anything, I just surfed gaf a little. I then played 13 games in a row, and the quit for the night. I turn on the system to play again today, and I get the same message saying I quit too many games, and I would probably get another ban again. I've played about 20+ games so far without quitting, why am I getting that shitty message. I really don't quit that much, I was just mad at my play last night. In the 1400+ games in MM I've probably only quit like 20 games.

I think it lasts a couple of days no matter how many games you play in that period. It is pretty silly it is that way, because in your 21'st game in a row without quitting you might lag out or you might get booted for a accidental betrayal getting you another 15 min ban. :/

Also lol Ramirez. :p

Ultimatly though I guess the quitban works well. (In that most of the people who encounter it deserve to.) So fair play I guess.

Are we ever going to get an explanation regrading the Sudden Death change?

I would make the assertion that the change affected objective games in Halo 3 and Reach in a very negative way. Can there be any clarification? Because saying sudden death and then it not being sudden death is very strange...

neoism

bobs99 ... said:
I think it lasts a couple of days no matter how many games you play in that period. It is pretty silly it is that way, because in your 21'st game in a row without quitting you might lag out or you might get booted for a accidental betrayal getting you another 15 min ban. :/

Also lol Ramirez. :p

Ultimatly though I guess the quitban works well. (In that most of the people who encounter it deserve to.) So fair play I guess.
OK thanks I always thought it just lasted the 15 minutes and that's it. I guess it works better this way though.

neoism said:
It is so good, its my favorite FPS in 10+ years. I'd hate to be as big of a Halo fan as I am and not love REACH. I was just playing shitty last night.

Woah thats a pretty bold statement. That means you think its better than Halo 1/2/3 and a whole host of other FPS shooters? Out of curiosity what sets it apart?

neoism said:
OK thanks I always thought it just lasted the 15 minutes and that's it. I guess it works better this way though.

I might have been wrong! But that does seem to make sense. Then again though that way people could dodge the probation period totally just by not playing for a few days and then go back to theyre quitting ways. Hmm?

I'm of the opinion that if your connection is so terrible that you earn a quit ban, you probably shouldn't be playing online anyways. It has just as negative an impact on the players left in the uneven game whether the quit was intentional or not.

Maybe there could be an option: "I like to quit games." or " I have a bad connection." So it only matches you with other unreliable players and can ignore the quit ban process.

(I understand the system already has this to a small degree, and very few people would voluntarily select this option.)

Lead Based Paint said:
Are we ever going to get an explanation regrading the Sudden Death change?

I would make the assertion that the change affected objective games in Halo 3 and Reach in a very negative way. Can there be any clarification? Because saying sudden death and then it not being sudden death is very strange...
How did it change again? All I remember from Halo 2 is people griefing in Assault on Headlong, making the match last forever until the defending team quit.

I wish it was easier to keep sudden death going in Reach, at least for the full 30 seconds. I think you have to actually hold the flag now. I wish you could just stand next to it without the counter dropping to 5 seconds.

neoism

bobs99 ... said:
Out of curiosity, what makes it better than Halo 1/ 2 or 3? Halo Reach might be a very good game, but saying its your favorite FPS from the last ten years is pretty bold. Especially when that means your putting it ahead of the other Halo games. :p

Not sure, probably that this one feels more realistic than 1, 2, and 3. They got the feeling of a spartan down in Reach more so than the others. I loved them all, but I just have had more fun games in Reach than in the others. 1 still has the best campaign ever. 2's online was awesome, but I only played like 300 games, and the cheating and glitching got old for me quick. Some of the glitches did make the game better though. :p.

I hated Halo 3's bullet travel time, hit-scan is where its at, I was ready for a change. I'm glad Bungie made Reach play different, and not just make it Halo 3.5. I 'm not a huge fan of AAs, I think sprint shouldn't be one. It's the greatest thing to come out of the game. AA's as pick-up would have been better. Wee should have had sprint by default, your a fucking spartan and you should be able to sprint. I'm not one for wanting the old. I played the shit out of the older games, I don't want to keep playing the same game over and over. That's what COD has done. That and putting out a game every fucking November. :/ The only thing I want for H4 is the most BADASS campaign Chief has ever had. The Multi-player will hopefully be a mix all of the awesome things all of the games did. Every game in this series should be viewed on it own merits, and not just copy all the stuff the old games did just because we are used to them. Yes Bungie could have made the credit system a little better, but it is no better than having a number beside you name. :/ Fuck winning, play to have fun or don't play.

short version.
Reach is an easier game than 2 or 3 so I guess I'm just a nub, and that's why I like it more :p :p :D

<3

wwm0nkey

About Destiny, I am still really interested with this world that is always there with you thing, would be pretty neat to have a sub game thing on WP7, NPG and 3DS that carries over to the main game on 360, PS3, cafe and PC.

Damnit Bungie annouce Destiny offically soon D:

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
About Destiny, I am still really interested with this world that is always there with you thing, would be pretty neat to have a sub game thing on WP7, NPG and 3DS that carries over to the main game on 360, PS3, cafe and PC.

Damnit Bungie annouce Destiny offically soon D:
As long as there isn't exclusive content that would be fantastic.

"Can't pay for the game more than once? Can't pay for more than one device? lol we don't care just play the game with what you have"

neoism

MrBig said:
As long as there isn't exclusive content that would be fantastic.

"Can't pay for the game more than once? Can't pay for more than one device? lol we don't care just play the game with what you have"
It's going to be weird buying a Bungie game on PC... I hope it has cross-platform play.

MrBig

neoism said:
It's going to be weird buying a Bungie game on PC... I hope it has cross-platform play.
I absolutely cannot wait to have access to the new Blam! engine to mod on PC. As long as Activision keeps its claws out of the release I'm quite sure that Bungie will give out their editing kit just like they have always been committed to doing, and even trying with forge on the 360.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
MrBig said:
I absolutely cannot wait to have access to the new Blam! engine to mod on PC. As long as Activision keeps its claws out of the release I'm quite sure that Bungie will give out their editing kit just like they have always been committed to doing, and even trying with forge on the 360.

Has it been confirmed for PC? 360 and PS3 for sure but I don't recall offhand PC being mentioned.

Tawpgun

So the Halo Reach page on Facebook posted the news about the tournament... and a lot of people are getting the idea that its an anyone can join thing...

A27 Tawpgun said:
So the Halo Reach page on Facebook posted the news about the tournament... and a lot of people are getting the idea that its an anyone can join thing...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Hitmonchan's email inbox just burst into flames.

We're on it.

MrBig

Dani said:
Has it been confirmed for PC? 360 and PS3 for sure but I don't recall offhand PC being mentioned.
I'm assuming that it would be easier to build a single engine that had support for all 3 than building it for one and porting to another as many studios have been called out in doing. This seems the obvious course when looking at the 10 year life cycle and the Multi-platform support that I am sure Bungie will want to provide.

Tunavi said:
Alright HaloGAF I see a lot of you online Lets get a party going

and lol at hitmonchan playing 8v8 sword base

He's playing in the Waypoint Community Playdate. I count at least 4 employees of 343 in that party, blame them. :p

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hitmonchan or ncsuDuncan (whoever's in charge of the Halo Community Tourney), I need to speak to one or both of you so contact me, please!

Hitmonchan107 said:
Headhunter on Boardwalk, followed by Stockpile on Sword Base.

My oh my. :^) Fun games, though.

Well, it's been a fairly productive day. I'm going to go make some chicken pasta for my girlfriend and watch "Parks and Recreation."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWfbGGZE07M

Swanson-Pyramid-Of-Greatness-parks-and-recreation-19454027-1000-813.jpg

Swanson approves.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'm getting a bunch of invites, but I'm playing LA Noire. Whats going on? Just a little Reach?

Same here. Is 'Booshka' someone from here?

Top Bottom