• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

MrBig

Hitmonchan go ahead and move me to the customs list. I do not take this game seriously enough to actually play well anymore. Would still like to have fun.

Booshka

Bread said:
I'm getting on now too, I'll be on the gaf tryout tag list so invite me off there when there's room.
I think they are running 6's, so if we both get on we can go to 8. I'm not available for the tourney, but I'd still like to play some of these games if I can help.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Good games to those that played. Sorry I couldn't get you other guys in today. There's still plenty of time to try out.

MrBig said:
Hitmonchan go ahead and move me to the customs list. I do not take this game seriously enough to actually play well anymore. Would still like to have fun.
Updated:
Any other additions/changes, GAF? Keep in mind that at this point Tashi is in charge of the tournament list, so what he has may be different than what I've got posted below. I'm really just collecting the customs list now, if you're still interested in the tournament, let Tashi now and add the gamertag "HaloGAF Tryout".

Code:
[B][U]Halo Community Tournament[/U][/B] [b]List of interested GAF players[/b]

[u]Tournament list[/u]	[U](gamertag)[/U]
Plywood 		(Xenolock)
A27_StarWolf 	(A27 STARWOLF)
A27 Tawpgun	(Tawpgun)
Oozer3993		(Oozer3993)
kylej		(jelyk)
Ken		(Chocopolka)
Thee Henry	(the henery) - Willing to play customs if needed. (Ask nicely.)
Laughtrey		(Laughtrey)
Tashi0106		(NYSTOFMIND23)
Trasher		(TJ Trasher)
op_ivy		(LoopOfHenle) - Willing to play customs if needed. (Ask nicely.)
Ramirez		(TJ Ram) - Unsure of schedule.
Nutter		(TJ NutterB)
Domino Theory	(Oml3t)
Thermite		(Thermight)
Sikamikanico	(Sikamikanico)
xxjuicesxx	(AnArmorLockHero)
Bread		(Dcot)
PNut		(PNut d kidnaper)
HiredN00bs	(HiredN00bs)

[U]Custom Games list[/U]
Dax01		(dax01)
Lazslo		(LaszIo) - Trying out for tourney?
Dani		(Slightly Live)
Dug		(Nintony 64)
GhaleonEB		(GhaleonEB)
Hydranockz	(Hydranockz) - Will play in tourney if needed.
Hey You 		(Heyy Youu)
bobs99 ...	(bobs99) - Unsure of schedule.
DiabolicalBagel	(DiabolicalBagel)
Booshka		(Booshka) - Can't make it to the tourney?
Hypertrooper	(Hypertrooper)
MrBig		(Mr Kwatz)
blamite 		(GANNONSMASH)
vhfive		(vhfive)
When Tashi releases the final Tourney roster, anyone above that isn't on Tashi's list will be added to the customs list.

It's going to be interesting organizing the bracket. Got a flood of responses after bs angel posted it to the Halo Waypoint blog. GAF better bring its A game.

Tawpgun

Thermite said:
I did super fucking terrible tonight. lol

GG
Not worse than me... but only on the no radar gametypes. Was top of the score board domination when radar was enabled, and bottom negative when it was disabled. Weird. It shouldn't have had that big of an effect, but I'll work on it. Probably play some MLG this weekend.

Still, I felt good for having played LA Noire nonstop all week.

Booshka

To Confirm, I can not make it to the Tourney. I have a friend's going away party on that day, and can't make it. I may be available for customs on that day, but that isn't certain either.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Bought the Legendary Edition today as a selfish gift (on sale for 80$, gifting the game and keeping the model!). Love the detail on this thing, but damn was Jun's rifle ever hard to get into place. I can still feel the plastic digging into my fingers.

Hopefully getting a WD drive shipped tomorrow so I can finally Firefight online. Gave up hope for it to ever work on my USB (will there ever be a title update?).

blamite

I'm not completely sure of my schedule for next weekend, but I should be able to get in on the community customs next weekend. Mind adding me to that list?
My gamertag's GANNONSMASH.

A27 Tawpgun said:
So what communities are officially interested?
These are the communities that are confirmed for the tournament.

Code:
Penny Arcade Forums
2old2play
NeoGAF
Team Schooly D
High Speed Halo
Master Theory
405th.com
The Workplace (B.net group)
Ready Up Live
HBO
XForgery
Gaming By Grace
GrifballHub
HaloTracks
HaloCharts
Halo Waypoint
PMS Halo/H20 (might separate into two separate tournament teams)

Still waiting to hear back from Rooster Teeth and Community Carnage.

There are a few standby teams in case we need to equalize the bracket. Of course, they are welcome to play in the custom games.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
Nah just the first game really....btw, I have the first team roster set. But it's a secret ;]

Post it! I'm interested to see who you have assembled.

Give me something to mull over since no one is online. :|

Is Gaming By Grace a renamed Saved By Grace from Halo 3?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hitmonchan107 said:

Code:
Penny Arcade Forums
2old2play
NeoGAF
Team Schooly D
High Speed Halo
Master Theory
405th.com
Ready Up Live
HBO
XForgery
Gaming By Grace
GrifballHub
HaloTracks
HaloCharts
Halo Waypoint

There are a few standby teams in case we need to equalize the bracket. Of course, they are welcome to play in the custom games.

I know of another team that haven't pitched in yet. Hopefully they will do so by tomorrow.

Tunavi

Banned
How about Bungie and 343i? Did anyone see if they would participate?

On a side note, Random thought: I wish I didn't care about my KD ratio as much as I do.

GhaleonEB

Just had one of the more satisfying games of Firefight Limited to date, a perfect game on Beachhead through the full set, which is all good since it's been a rough week at work and I needed some relief.

Had a great last stand against you-know-who. The squad had gotten between me and the last living player, and I tried in vain to distract them but she had backed herself into a corner. All I could do was get in position for the inevitable hoard to come after me.

Which they did.

We got utterly robbed at the end, though. The ending was very intense, as we rushed through the final boss wave to get to the Bonus Round.

Here's the last boss wave, torn through in one minute and 20 seconds. I was high as a kite when I landed that last shot. Look the time stamp when it landed. The crash stung.

On the plus side, the Challenges topped a meaty game for a 10,100 cR payout at the end. Yowza.

Ramirez

Jumped into the Arena for some unknown reason and was treated to some trash forge map that couldn't have been bigger than warlock. Add in jetpacks with no real cover to guard from above and you get one frustrating experience. I just cannot comprehend how you add in something like the jetpack that completely breaks pretty much every maps design in the game.

Jokes on me for going into the arena in the first place, I still don't understand why you only start with one nade, makes it extremely hard to break setups once people lock something down.

Booshka

Ramirez said:
Jumped into the Arena for some unknown reason and was treated to some trash forge map that couldn't have been bigger than warlock. Add in jetpacks with no real cover to guard from above and you get one frustrating experience. I just cannot comprehend how you add in something like the jetpack that completely breaks pretty much every maps design in the game.

Jokes on me for going into the arena in the first place, I still don't understand why you only start with one nade, makes it extremely hard to break setups once people lock something down.
I had a game like that with HaloGaf last night in Squad Slayer on Asylum, four of their teammates would jetpack all over the map, and the other one sat in their base sniping all game. The other teammates were even stealing our snipe and dropping it for him. It was a frustrating and dominating strat, the sniper ended up going 19-0. I tried to kill him multiple times, but would get rushed from above by the jetpack dudes.

Tunavi

Banned
Booshka said:
I had a game like that with HaloGaf last night in Squad Slayer on Asylum, four of their teammates would jetpack all over the map, and the other one sat in their base sniping all game. The other teammates were even stealing our snipe and dropping it for him. It was a frustrating and dominating strat, the sniper ended up going 19-0. I tried to kill him multiple times, but would get rushed from above by the jetpack dudes.
What they were doing was jetpacking so their heads were above the walls and they would shoot us until they were one shot and drop back down to cover. Ugh. It was impossible to get any kills

Booshka

Tunavi said:
What they were doing was jetpacking so their heads were above the walls and they would shoot us until they were one shot and drop back down to cover. Ugh. It was impossible to get any kills
My friend went -15 also, which didn't help.

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
1:26 - Man you were struggling to get that headshot lol
Yeah I nearly choked. Part of the problem was I was stuck up against a rock ledge, and I couldn't strafe properly. Though for sure I was going to get tagged by a sticky from the Brute.

Hitmonchan107 said:

Code:
Penny Arcade Forums
2old2play
NeoGAF
Team Schooly D
High Speed Halo
Master Theory
405th.com
Ready Up Live
HBO
XForgery
Gaming By Grace
GrifballHub
HaloTracks
HaloCharts
Halo Waypoint

I posted about this on Forge Hub, but got no responses. meh.

GhaleonEB said:
Just had one of the more satisfying games of Firefight Limited to date, a perfect game on Beachhead through the full set, which is all good since it's been a rough week at work and I needed some relief.

Had a great last stand against you-know-who. The squad had gotten between me and the last living player, and I tried in vain to distract them but she had backed herself into a corner. All I could do was get in position for the inevitable hoard to come after me.

Which they did.

We got utterly robbed at the end, though. The ending was very intense, as we rushed through the final boss wave to get to the Bonus Round.

Here's the last boss wave, torn through in one minute and 20 seconds. I was high as a kite when I landed that last shot. Look the time stamp when it landed. The crash stung.

On the plus side, the Challenges topped a meaty game for a 10,100 cR payout at the end. Yowza.
Both cool videos. :)

Striker

Ramirez said:
Two grenades usually evolved in frag fests for the smaller maps like Countdown and Reflection. Asylum is one map that shrugs off into a stalemate of sorts, and I can't fathom why they decided not to place any plasma grenades at base, or single frags at the bottom of the ring, like how Sanctuary had. It would be cool to have Mac's Sanctuary added, but I highly doubt they would have somebody else's remake go ahead of their own.

Havok

Striker said:
Two grenades usually evolved in frag fests for the smaller maps like Countdown and Reflection.
See also: Any game on Zealot. The upper indoor gold lift area is still a suicide zone even with one grenade.

kylej

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:

Code:
Penny Arcade Forums
2old2play
NeoGAF
Team Schooly D
High Speed Halo
Master Theory
405th.com
Ready Up Live
HBO
XForgery
Gaming By Grace
GrifballHub
HaloTracks
HaloCharts
Halo Waypoint

Damn. Didn't realize this was turning into a real thing. I'll be on tonight around 8PM EST to try to warm up.

When do these tryouts end?

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
Chaddlesby's Justice
Avenge your teammates' deaths 3 times in multiplayer Matchmaking.

That's a new challenge, right? I never saw it before.
No, but it's been a while since it came around.

11/20/2010 | Chaddlesby's Justice | Avenge your teammates' deaths 7 times in multiplayer Matchmaking. | 1000 cR

1/25/2011 | Chaddlesby's Justice | Avenge your teammates' deaths 5 times in multiplayer Matchmaking. | 1500 cR

Hypertrooper said:
Chaddlesby's Justice
Avenge your teammates' deaths 3 times in multiplayer Matchmaking.

That's a new challenge, right? I never saw it before.

Don't think I've seen it before. Edit: But apparently I just forgot about it.

I'm not a fan of challenges based on avenger medals anyways. Might as well change the description:

Chaddlesby's Justice
Stand back and let your teammates die 10+ times in multiplayer Matchmaking while you watch and then struggle to get 3 avenger medals.

ncsuDuncan said:
Don't think I've seen it before. Edit: But apparently I just forgot about it.

I'm not a fan of challenges based on avenger medals anyways. Might as well change the description:

Chaddlesby's Justice
Stand back and let your teammates die 10+ times in multiplayer Matchmaking while you watch and then struggle to get 3 avenger medals.

It's not like they are hard to get. I get 1.14 a game in Team Classic.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
kylej said:
Damn. Didn't realize this was turning into a real thing. I'll be on tonight around 8PM EST to try to warm up.

When do these tryouts end?
Rosters aren't due until next Wednesday. If you see me on, message me. I'll be on later tonight for sure.

lybertyboy said:
Last year. :)
Getting technical now, are we? :^)

PAX Prime 2011

And where were you last night? I told Veronica to slap you for me.

I'm not sensing the red-hot heat of fury, so I guess my imperative faltered on faint ears.

ncsuDuncan said:
That doesn't change his answer. He's already in Seattle. :p

After getting to PAX East late and leaving early, I've learned my lesson.

So my flight hits Seattle at 11am Thursday and I don't leave until 1pm Monday. My hotel is 0.6 miles from the convention center. Really looking forward to it.

I would have played in the Waypoint Playdate last night, but I had to jump offline and cook dinner/watch The Office.

You can't see my face, but there's a giant handprint on my cheek. I have shamed myself.

I might try to catch a late Sunday flight, but I'm looking to arrive in Seattle around 10 a.m. Thursday.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Getting technical now, are we? :^)

PAX Prime 2011

And where were you last night? I told Veronica to slap you for me.

I'm not sensing the red-hot heat of fury, so I guess my imperative faltered on faint ears.

That doesn't change his answer. He's already in Seattle. :p

After getting to PAX East late and leaving early, I've learned my lesson.

So my flight hits Seattle at 11am Thursday and I don't leave until 1pm Monday. My hotel is 0.6 miles from the convention center. Really looking forward to it.

I would have played in the Waypoint Playdate last night, but I had to jump offline and cook dinner/watch The Office.

Top Bottom