• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Sorry I didn't get on Reach today guys. I just got an Arcade stick so I've been playing Street Fighter. Will play this weekend for sure.

Lazslo

Tashi0106 said:
Sorry I didn't get on Reach today guys. I just got an Arcade stick so I've been playing Street Fighter. Will play this weekend for sure.
N3rd
I'll destroy you in SF

Tunavi

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Heh. I set Doubles Attack to "good connection". I got host. All alone.
tumblr_ll80dyJbCs1qckz9so1_500.png

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=614993350&player=Tunavi

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
vhfive said:
yup basically. They'll probably take out CoD

I can't believe they ever added COD.

The reason I brought up Reach as declining in the MLG perspective is because the MLG guys I've been watching are talking about exactly that.

Ramirez

Man, all of the changes in the world couldn't help BTB's main problem, the maps are simply terrible. The forge ones are all so similar it's hard to tell them apart, and the official maps have been horrid from the start. It needs to be All DLC required so that you could at least get Tempest/Breakpoint/Highlands in there.

:|

xxjuicesxx said:
GoW will def be added but replacing Halo as their flagship? Absolutely not. Reach has only really had one competitive event so far really, its very fresh in terms of competitive events...
This, man. Given time to mature, the competitions will become quite fierce. Teams will settle down. Rivalries will emerge. MLG's top pros and highest profile personalities are Halo players. It'll only get better. If anything is threatening Halo as the flagship right now, I'd say it's Starcraft.

Edit: hire Ram.

Ramirez said:
Man, all of the changes in the world couldn't help BTB's main problem, the maps are simply terrible. The forge ones are all so similar it's hard to tell them apart, and the official maps have been horrid from the start. It needs to be All DLC required so that you could at least get Tempest/Breakpoint/Highlands in there.

:|
Agreed.

All the Forge maps built inside Hemorrhage just feel like a bunch of crap littering Hemorrhage. The cliffs are still the same, the caves are still the same.

And sorry about the poor driving in that hog that got you killed, by that game I'd played almost 5 hours of Reach and I was just so out of it. That and lack of caring for that game.

Striker

Barrow Roll said:
Agreed.

All the Forge maps built inside Hemorrhage just feel like a bunch of crap littering Hemorrhage. The cliffs are still the same, the caves are still the same.

And sorry about the poor driving in that hog that got you killed, by that game I'd played almost 5 hours of Reach and I was just so out of it. That and lack of caring for that game.
The only one that's really built like Hemorrhage is Renegade, and that's with larger bases (not very well diverse, though), and the mancannon that shoots players to the central structure which I figured half of HaloGAF would love. The map itself is OK, but almost ruined by the awful Spartan Laser.

Wayont and Trident are pretty good maps (comparing these to the rest of Reach's offerings and the previous game). The main issues I have with BTB is really the poor implementation Bungie set for Invasion maps set for BTB, and how they gimped Assault for it. The superior version was already used in Reach, and they went and made it awful.

Striker said:
The only one that's really built like Hemorrhage is Renegade, and that's with larger bases (not very well diverse, though), and the mancannon that shoots players to the central structure which I figured half of HaloGAF would love. The map itself is OK, but almost ruined by the awful Spartan Laser.
That would be why I specifically said Hemorrhage and not Forge World. The maps built within the Hemorrhage area (is there only one?) can't shake the Hemorrhage feeling simply because they share too many features.

Striker

I'm not going to disagree. There's only so much you can do though to really differentiate, similar to how users would like to build something on the "island" where Paradiso is located. With what we're given, there are set limitations because of the built-in geometry.

Wayont is built in Hemorrhage as well, but uses it from side to side. It's more unique in that way, rather than other maps like Abridged.

Account Attempt #4 said:
This, man. Given time to mature, the competitions will become quite fierce. Teams will settle down. Rivalries will emerge. MLG's top pros and highest profile personalities are Halo players. It'll only get better. If anything is threatening Halo as the flagship right now, I'd say it's Starcraft.

Yeah, Starcraft is the next biggest title for MLG next to Halo, and from what I've heard from the MLG community and agreed with from viewing myself, Reach was relatively impressive in the first event, especially compared to people ripping it up until the event.

GOW3 is certainly no threat to Halo in terms of the MLG circuit.

Hypertrooper said:
Good games BarrowRoll, Hydranockz, Zeouterlimits and Neoism.

Found this on ReadyUpLive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rWcaG4gmm34

Has the Halo 4 ARG campaign begun?
I'm thinking that all of this is still a fake.

Edit.: Link was posted over the Noble Actual Twitter account...

EDIT: I know its fake but still:

The voice sounds 'off', it sounds kinda amateurish. That said looking at the tags you see. "we found him". And looking at the details you see. \\LOG RECORDED AND/OR UPLOADED--9/16/2554--

PLEASE be Halo related. :p Doesnt Halo 3 take place in 2552, meaning Chief would have been lost for 2 years if this video is legit? I wonder if we will play those 2 years or if the game would take place in 2554.

Either way in my opinion while its fun to speculate, it seems fake. :(

Alienshogun said:
I can't believe they ever added COD.

The reason I brought up Reach as declining in the MLG perspective is because the MLG guys I've been watching are talking about exactly that.

I dont know much about what the pro's think, but I watched a Reach stream and it wasnt very entertaining to watch. It is fresh to the circuit so has room to grow, but Reach generally doesnt seem very MLG friendly. Then again Tashi seems to love it, so maybe im off base.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
LAUGHTREY said:
Do you just pull stuff out of your ass to have an excuse to post here?

Pulling stuff out of my ass would make the assumption that I'm acting like this is fact, which I'm not.

I'm clearly asking if this is really the case. I haven't been following Reach or Reach in MLG for some time now. There does seem to be a growing abandonment of Reach, even among the pros from what I can see, but that may be because of who I'm watching and where I'm watching.

Hence the question.

bobs99 ... said:
I dont know much about what the pro's think, but I watched a Reach stream and it wasnt very entertaining to watch. It is fresh to the circuit so has room to grow, but Reach generally doesnt seem very MLG friendly. Then again Tashi seems to love it, so maybe im off base.

Yeah, I watch suddoth every now and then on Jtv, and it doesn't seem as intense as it should be.

Check out what NsU Soldier found in ODST: (HBO post)

1zbrktd.jpg

Also, does any one want to do ForgeGAF customs today? I posted in the Forge thread but it's been pretty slow there lately. How's 5pm EST sound? (With normal customs at the usual 8pm EST, right?)

Tawpgun

ncsuDuncan said:

1zbrktd.jpg

Also, does any one want to do ForgeGAF customs today? I posted in the Forge thread but it's been pretty slow there lately. How's 5pm EST sound? (With normal customs at the usual 8pm EST, right?)
Mother of god.

It's a stretch, but ODST was made after the Microsoft Split, but before the activision deal...
The Askalon Logo flipped sort of looks like the destiny logo.
Trademark-Confirms-Bungie-Destiny.jpg

But what I found most interesting... is I remember Bungie saying ODST had easter eggs regarding what Bungie was doing. We already found license plates of Noble Team... but could this be another one?

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:

1zbrktd.jpg

That's one hell of a catch.

I looked for it a while back and couldn't find it, but there was a BWU after Halo 3 and before ODST was announced where Luke or Sketch wrote in very high level terms about what the studio was up to, and referenced three projects in the works, "some familiar, some not". Destiny (if that's the name) began right after the Bungie/MS split pre-Halo 3 shipping, so it was definately in the works when ODST was. Definate reference there.

I think we're going to see more and more stuff like this in hindsight.

Edit: from 7/25/08:

For the record, we have no plans to make any big announcements or huge reveals at PAX this year. While we will have some Halo 3 multiplayer stuff for you to check out, this is not going to be the "big announcement" many of our fans are clamoring for. Rest assured that when the time is right, we will be making announcements and talking about the stuff we're currently working on. At the moment we do have three distinct projects underway within Bungie - some familiar, some not. Some on a closer horizon, some quite far off.

Hey everybody, I am a long time lurker in this thread (since the reach beta) and would love to say hello to all :), also if anyone wants to play, I'll play anything :) GT: Tamedafame

A27_StarWolf said:
Hitmonchan is going to be out of a job :p
:lol

But Wu pays so well! I don't want to live on the skreets again.

Hockeylover01 said:
Hey everybody, I am a long time lurker in this thread (since the reach beta) and would love to say hello to all :), also if anyone wants to play, I'll play anything :) GT: Tamedafame
I remember you from the GAF Google group! Glad to see you made it in. :^)

Edit:

Off-topic: So, last night I caved in and made a blog for 1UP's E3 blogger contest.

I wrote it last night, so it's not the most creative thing in the world, but I'd love it if you went and gave it a thumbs up. You don't have to have an account to do that.

Leave a comment if you're feeling especially generous/hateful.

And I was making silly faces in every photo. My face is normally not that weird. (At least I hope not. Oh God.)

Thanks, guys.

ncsuDuncan said:

1zbrktd.jpg

Bungie won't be at E3. I'm hoping that they will announce their games this year. I want to find my Destiny. :(

When you need someone for Forge customs, send me a tweet.

TheOddOne

A27 Tawpgun said:
But what I found most interesting... is I remember Bungie saying ODST had easter eggs regarding what Bungie was doing. We already found license plates of Noble Team... but could this be another one?
Really? Anybody got some picks of that?

Booshka

Gave you a Thumbs Up hitmonchan, hope you get the gig. You're an entertaining writer.

Edit: @ AlienShogun, this weekend there is a LAN going on among 5 top Halo Reach teams, there are a couple POV streams on Justin.tv that can give you a better sense of competitive Reach. Their main site is thelannetwork.com, I think they are going with a free stream now, so if you setup an account you can watch there. They will be playing today and tomorrow for hours upon hours. So give it a look and re-assess your opinion. Watching the Suddoths play Reach on XBL doesn't give you a very good look at competitive Reach.

I also think Starcraft 2 will take the mantle as the Flagship for MLG, SC2 has global appeal and is a better crafted competitive game. If MLG can do it right, it will flourish in their league.

Top Bottom