• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
Just wait until you see Team 2.
I wonder what your super team in firefight would be. Just four of yourself? Throw a Dax in there for giggles maybe? :p

Yo Team 1/2 dudes. I'm getting on for some games. Anyone care to join?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
What are the gametypes for this thing anyway?

Ken said:
Yup, I haven't.

Jetpack provides movement for one person, not an entire team. If anything it splits one player away from the rest of the team or is going to be more exposed because of the higher altitude.

Active Camo's radar effect, with a coordinated team, might help but without one it pretty much tells the opposing team that an enemy is nearby as well as how he's moving.

An entire team in a Drop Shield sounds like a bad idea.

Armor lock withstands anything but also makes you unable to fire back and help your teammates actively push forward. Also, aside from rockets using armor lock to block a sniper round isn't very beneficial. Even then a person with armor lock needs some good reflexes to make the most out of it. Overshield let's you push forward with a team or move to cover while taking a rocket or sniper round.

I don't play or watch MLG so I'm basing my opinions on what I've experienced in matchmaking.

You..What? You haven't even played anything with AAs on the map, it's totally different than in Matchmaking. Armor lock and Camo weren't even considered because they're too strong when only one person has them.

Ramirez

Man, some of those dudes have insane K/Ds, but they've lost over half of their matches, doesn't make sense to me.

Also, who is the dolt that thought a remade Paradiso with only one Banshee would some how make it more balanced? ugh

Might want to roll with the best of the best in that first matchup, I'd hate to get embarrassed in the first round, lulz.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Or a Rooster Teeth team. :^(

I posted about it on the RT Halo forum, but the interest wasn't there.

Edit: Full album stream of Death Cab's "Codes and Keys" available at NPR. So far, it's my favorite release from the Atlantic Records era.

Will listen.

The Atlantic records albums are Plans, Narrow Stairs, and this new one right?

Steelyuhas said:
Will listen.

The Atlantic records albums are Plans, Narrow Stairs, and this new one right?
And "The Open Door EP," which was my previous favorite. This has a chance to make a run to the top of my favorite Death Cab album list. Only one weak song on the album ("Some Boys").

Hitmonchan107 said:
And "The Open Door EP," which was my previous favorite. This has a chance to make a run to the top of my favorite Death Cab album list. Only one weak song on the album ("Some Boys").

The Open Door is an EP though, I usually only count LP's as "albums". That's not to say that EP's are something I don't listen to.

They didn't release an EP from Plans recordings did they?

Trasher

Ramirez said:
Man, some of those dudes have insane K/Ds, but they've lost over half of their matches, doesn't make sense to me.

Also, who is the dolt that thought a remade Paradiso with only one Banshee would some how make it more balanced? ugh

Might want to roll with the best of the best in that first matchup, I'd hate to get embarrassed in the first round, lulz.
Well are you even going to be there? I remember you saying it was a maybe.

Nutter

Ramirez said:

Playing Slayer in Objective Gametypes will do that to your KD.

And Plywood needs to start playing with us.

Trasher

Hey, sorry that we missed you, Plywood. After I invited you I realized we were probably just gonna be done after that one game (and we were). You should play with us tomorrow night though.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Trasher said:
Hey, sorry that we missed you, Plywood. After I invited you I realized we were probably just gonna be done after that one game (and we were). You should play with us tomorrow night though.
It's fine I decided to sign off anyway cause I'd been playing the whole night.

Trasher

Trasher said:
So our friends over at SFU have quite the number of games that look like this:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=609428591&player=SFUx RAMPAGE
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=609441273&player=SFUx RAMPAGE
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=609410558&player=SFUx RAMPAGE

Didn't even have to dig far in their history for those. They seem to quite enjoy the farming of kills in multi-team objective gametypes lol.
They aren't really good. This rampage guy got 43.18373961% of the kills in Mutliteam. And to be honest, even a noob can get a spread about +30 in Multiteam TO, when he isn't after the objectives.

Tunavi said:
I just realized how strange it is that armor abilities pick-ups aren't in any non-MLG playlist. Halo has always been about picking up weapons/powerups to gain an edge over the other team. Loadouts don't work for Slayer. It's not how Halo works. I really want to see this variant of slayer in matchmaking:
DMR starts, no load-outs or armor abilities on spawn. Armor abilities placed on the maps like power weapons (I don't know how many, which ones and where yet, suggestions?).

Right now as it is, AA's are obviously spammed all the time. People take them for granted because you simply spawn again with a loadout and armor ability again.

That's not how power weapons work. If you pick up rockets, you are a target, a threat, and a powerhouse. It wouldn't be that special if you died and got rockets again. This is how AA's should work too.

Armor abilities are annoying now because they are spammed like crazy. If they were put on maps as something to fight over, support map movement, or to counter power weapons, I'd be really okay with that.

Thoughts? I'd like to see this in matchmaking, but I'd be happy just playing this in customs (do we even have those anymore? lol)

I agree that the current implimentation of them is aweful, but I dont think they would work well as power ups either.
Best to just scrap them and forget they ever existed. :p
I actually liked equipment in Halo 3 (to an extent), they were pick ups and one time uses only, basically a less annoying version of AA's.

Tunavi said:

I had a quick glance at Halo 3 stats, and I know its a different game yaddaa yaddaa yaddaa, and I know you cant tell everything from stats, but I still personally think it should be a gaf victory. High K/D's mean nothing when playlists like BTB and Multi Team exist.

I kinda wish this kind of tourney happened back in Halo 3's prime. :(

Tashi0106 said:
Well I think they have a pretty big advantage over us being one team. I know they've already played with each other a good amount and they have a lot of time to practice. Most of us will only have one game to play and there's an added pressure to perform because you only get one shot. If you're cold or having a bad game, that's it.

So I'm just going to post the rosters I have set right now and we'll take it from there.

Team 1:

Nutter
Plywood
Trasher
Ram
Thermite
Omlet

Team 2:

Tashi
Juices
Kyle J
???
???
???

Super team:
Undecided.

I'll make sure I'm available this week to play. I'll be on after 6pm every day. Be sure to contact me if you need to try out. Even if you've tried out already, let's play more. I will post here when I get on as well.

Once rosters are set, I hope to get team 1 vs team 2 matches going on as often as possible.

Gaf wins. :p

Team 3 should be the best of team 1 and team 2, it looks like its going to be beast. But what if you can only play 4 players?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
These matches won't be easy. I imagine that they'll be pretty practiced. We just have to be prepared ourselves.

Also, I'm not intimidated by anyone that plays this game in the whole world anymore. I welcome the challenge ;)

vhfive

Tashi0106 said:
These matches won't be easy. I imagine that they'll be pretty practiced. We just have to be prepared ourselves.

Also, I'm not intimidated by anyone that plays this game in the whole world anymore. I welcome the challenge ;)
you better stream this shit

Striker

Nutter said:
Playing Slayer in Objective Gametypes will do that to your KD.
I take it more as players going into Rumble Pit and Multi-team, voting for King of the Hill or Oddball and not even going for the objective at hand.

bobs99 ... said:
I agree that the current implimentation of them is aweful, but I dont think they would work well as power ups either.
Best to just scrap them and forget they ever existed. :p
I actually liked equipment in Halo 3 (to an extent), they were pick ups and one time uses only, basically a less annoying version of AA's.
Both were implemented poorly. Even to the point some of them are non-existent all together or in many playlists.

EDIT: By the way, nice weekly. :lol

Team 1 is probably more stacked but then I saw Tashi put himself with Me and kyle...and jesus... That team has potential. I'd suggest Choco/Ken still, who almost 50/50 posts better stats than me at the level of dong we bring its up for grabs who nails the most kills just depends who runs across more inferiors that game. The thing I like is you took the old dudes who have lots of experience with each other and put them together and yea I probably have more experience with Tashi and Kyle so that should work out well.

(Also I thought it was 5v5 but I guess I just thought that because I've been in Squad Slayer a lot this week - a pretty good - but pretty redundant playlist) If anything they should keep Arena 4v4 (Which is Slayer anyways) and just add a player to Team Slayer Competitive playlist. Yea yea, SquadSlayer has more refined loadouts, whatever, deal with it.

Looking through all those SFU guys stats, their win/loss is nowhere near where it should be if they were good...thats all I'll say.

GhaleonEB said:
Living Dead really is a horrifying playlist. Every map has exploits for players to stand around and turkey shoot zombies in volume. The ledges on sword base, the open side of Countdown, about 85 places on The Cage. Every game is a rush to those spots - and there are tons on every map - and then everyone else rushes at them. That's it. That's the entire game.

Just....wow.
Told ya. I just don't see the draw in the gametype at all, even back to Halo 3. Maybe if there were Flood skins for the infected players, and made the zombies slow-moving bullet sponges like zombies are supposed to be, then it could be interesting. Maybe.

Also, looks like this week's weekly will be done in less than 10 minutes. :-\

Tawpgun

Team 1 is stacked for good reason. If they win, team 2 can finish out, and if team 2 loses, super team is deployed. If team 1 loses, super team is deployed. So its best to count on team 1 winning.

Also, what's the deal with weeklies that should be dailies?

whatever. Waiting for POA LASO.

Definitely stupid fucking campaign daily being a weekly. For 9K credits? Really? A weekly? I need 900K just to move to the next rank!

Ughh make weeklies worth more and take longer to earn! How is this difficult to figure out?!

xxjuicesxx said:
Definitely stupid fucking campaign daily being a weekly. For 9K credits? Really? A weekly? I need 900K just to move to the next rank!

Ughh make weeklies worth more and take longer to earn! How is this difficult to figure out?!

Did Ghaleon release the write up that went with the charts he posted a week or so back? Im really interested to read it, especially since he pointed out that Dailys have actually been worth less recently.

Challenge system/ Commendation system had the potential to be really interesting, I dont think they lived up to theyre potential.

A while back Urk said in a BWU there'd be a postmortem on the successes and failures of Reach. Did it get published and I missed it or are we still waiting? I don't see it anywhere but that doesn't mean anything...

Bread

Banned
Hey Tashi am I in the running for one of the final spots on team 2? I'm down to try out more if you're organizing some games today.

That teams an easy win. Anyone else good?

Also fuck Hemmorage Snipers. Two my teammates quit out and I got sniped off spawn out in the open enough that I couldn't carry. Fuckin so annoying, terrible map for Snipes.

Striker

xxjuicesxx said:
...errible map for Snipes.
I would play more Team Snipers if they would take off the Pistol secondary. In smaller maps that's all it turns into. Odd decision to make.

It's not necessarily a bad map for it, but they should have made another version of it, perhaps with more cover in the open areas where most spawns sit.

They should add in Zealot, Countdown, and Asylum, judging by the maps displayed for it. But I guess Atom holds such high prestige.

Yea I was just obviously the better player but I was against one decent and a few kids who could aim and the spawn sniping ultimately led to my loss, it was frustrating.

Plus it comes up too much. I think 3 of my 6 was on that one map...thats too much.

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
Did Ghaleon release the write up that went with the charts he posted a week or so back? Im really interested to read it, especially since he pointed out that Dailys have actually been worth less recently.
I'm aiming to publish tomorrow. I have two sections to wrap up tonight, and then it's (finally!) done.

The Weekly is actually the kind of thing I was hoping to see for daily Challenges. I'll buddy up with my daughter and try a speedrun through ONI or Winter.

Hey You said:
Whats the best mission for this challenge?

Tips? Should I go in with 4 others?
It's only Heroic, so a solo speedrun on Nightfall should get you finished in about 5-6 minutes.

On a separate note, the Spartan on my Service Record is not mine. Tried changing clothes and playing a few matches, still the same on bnet. Not a fan. :-|

YatwN.png

Anyone else having this problem?

Hey You

squidhands said:
On a separate note, the Spartan on my Service Record is not mine. Tried changing clothes and playing a few matches, still the same on bnet. Not a fan. :-|

Anyone else having this problem?

Was that your armor previously or did it just outright change?

I haven't changed my armor in months, but my spartan is still the same on my Service Record.

Edit: Grammar fail.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm aiming to publish tomorrow. I have two sections to wrap up tonight, and then it's (finally!) done.

The Weekly is actually the kind of thing I was hoping to see for daily Challenges. I'll buddy up with my daughter and try a speedrun through ONI or Winter.

It's all that firefight getting in the way :p.

Hey You said:
Was that your armor previously or did it just outright change?

I haven't changed my armor in months, but my spartan is still the same on my Service Record.

Edit: Grammar fail.
15grx9k.jpg

It's pretty much been this for a long while, so it just outright changed to something else in the last week. Really weird.

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea I was just obviously the better player but I was against one decent and a few kids who could aim and the spawn sniping ultimately led to my loss, it was frustrating.

Plus it comes up too much. I think 3 of my 6 was on that one map...thats too much.

Yeah thats partly why I didnt join you, Reach Snipers is a horrible playlist. People literally find a nice rock to crouch next to and camp it out all game waiting for someone to come into theyre line of sight. Im not sure why Reach sniping is so different, but I think the lack of movement generally in Reach and insane auto aim makes it a playground for noob tactics. It seems like if you suck at the game you can still do well just by hiding and letting the Sniper do the rest of the work when people come into your line of site. On smaller maps people just use the Pistol. Reach really doesnt hit the spot when it comes to sniping.

GhaleonEB said:

Sweet, should be a interesting read.

Top Bottom