• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Snipes is decent, it needs work though. Mainly lots of spawn spots. Way too open for that specific playlist.

Shoulda though, we had a nice 10ish win streak and my KD went up .01

Striker

Remember Standoff Snipers and how horrific the spawns were. To engage that, they added random shields and cages around the map. :lol

Who can forget Snipers on Isolation, what a treat. And allowing equipment in the maps. *spits*

Sniper suggestions:
- Disable unlimited ammo.
- Spawn with 2 spare Sniper clips.
- Maps have an overabundance of sniper rifles for more ammo, but these are placed away from the popular camping positions.
- Spawn with 1 spare Pistol clip.
- No spare pistol ammo on map.

Striker

ncsuDuncan said:
Sniper suggestions:
- Disable unlimited ammo.
- Spawn with 2 spare Sniper clips.
- Maps have an overabundance of sniper rifles for more ammo, but these are placed away from the popular camping positions.
- Spawn with 1 spare Pistol clip.
- No spare pistol ammo on map.
I would agree for the most part - with how buffed and the scope added, the Pistol is a bit too powerful for the smaller maps like Reflection and Powerhouse. The limited ammo part is the best because it would reduce camping far more than imagined. I believe they still have "Snipers" as a weapon set for map sets, so I'm sure they could [have] do that. Kind of makes ya miss the Halo 2 setup of no radar, limited ammo, human Rifle/Beam Rifle combo. So good. And every single map for it was delicious.

Call me weird, but I enjoyed Doubles Snipers on Isolation.
Bunch of Halo 3 maps made no sense for a Snipers variant. Heretic, Isolation, Orbital, Assembly, Construct... there's no long sightlines or even formidable ones. Reach's set is nothing special either for it. I said before, I don't see why maps like Zealot, Asylum, or Countdown aren't but maps like Uncaged and Atom are.

Striker said:
Remember Standoff Snipers and how horrific the spawns were. To engage that, they added random shields and cages around the map. :lol

Who can forget Snipers on Isolation, what a treat. And allowing equipment in the maps. *spits*

At least those games weren't boring stalemates lol. Dont get me wrong Halo 3 Snipers had its fair share of players who would prefer to camp it out but it was easier to break those kind of deadlocks in Halo 3, On standoff if you could get behind theyre base even if they camped it out it was literally game over for them. I actually enjoyed Isolation Snipes on the rare occasion, Valhalla and Sandtrap are both more camper friendly but even they arent as bad as Hemmorage.

Bunch of Halo 3 maps made no sense for a Snipers variant. Heretic, Isolation, Orbital, Assembly, Construct... there's no long sightlines or even formidable ones. Reach's set is nothing special either for it. I said before, I don't see why maps like Zealot, Asylum, or Countdown aren't but maps like Uncaged and Atom are.

You might think im weird, but the slightly smaller maps like The Pit were my favorite Snipers maps simply because it wasnt just a long range standoff. I know Sniping is traditionally a long range thing, but I think the maps that had chokepoints and areas were you had to get in closer provided for more fun moments.

Striker

It was easy to stage a camp setting on Valhalla for Snipers as it is on Hemorrhage. Couple guys in the middle and two on the ends. Success.

The Pit was a fine map for it. You actually had visuals for much of the map. Putting it on Midship/Heretic in 3 was pretty weird, though. Halo 2 had Snipers on Beaver Creek and Lockout and worked out perfectly. It can work on small maps, but not the cluttered mess.

Karl2177

Striker said:
It was easy to stage a camp setting on Valhalla for Snipers as it is on Hemorrhage. Couple guys in the middle and two on the ends. Success.

The Pit was a fine map for it. You actually had visuals for much of the map. Putting it on Midship/Heretic in 3 was pretty weird, though. Halo 2 had Snipers on Beaver Creek and Lockout and worked out perfectly. It can work on small maps, but not the cluttered mess.
Halo 2 had a great selection of maps that almost any gametype could work on. There were a few things that were questionable, like SMG starts on Coag, but for the most part it was well done. Halo 3 had even more mess ups, but it was covered by golden works like BRs on Valhalla or Pit. Reach doesn't have a whole lot to redeem itself.

Striker said:

On Hemmorage though most people camp in the rocks directly next to theyre base lol, at least Valhalla provided more gameplay than just hang far back. Sure I have seen Valhalla games were people just hid in theyre base but then that allowed the other team to have the stronger middle ground. The only spot on Valhalla that I thought really stopped you from pushing was the Pelican. It made it too akward to push forward if you were on Sea base unless you had guys watching it from the far right.

Infact if the other team camped theyre base, you could usually use the map well and take them out and then spawn kill them. With Hemmorage its faaar too easy to Snipe and so even the worst players have the advantage when they are in a awkward nook that you dont spot. They easily spot you first when you push forward and that just means you have to spawn miles away again.

I dont think its fair to compare the maps between games when its the gameplay that has changed so much. The Spartan model on Reach seems to blend into the background more, the actual sniping is easier and there is less movement. Giving the advantage to the campers. I dont like how Hemmorage is shaped though, there are spots people use that you wont be able to see until you push fairly far forward. Unfortunatly the people in those spots have probably got theyre snipes concentrated on where you have to come through from to see them.

TL:DR - the best tactic on Hemmorage snipes is to use akward camping spots directly to the left or right of your base. The actual Sniping will take care of itself once people push into your line of site. As someone who hates that style of gameplay I think Hemmorage is the worst sniping map the series has had.

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
You might think im weird, but the slightly smaller maps like The Pit were my favorite Snipers maps simply because it wasnt just a long range standoff. I know Sniping is traditionally a long range thing, but I think the maps that had chokepoints and areas were you had to get in closer provided for more fun moments.
I'm so not the right person to comment on snipers game types, but one of the only ones I've enjoyed was Shotty Snipers on Reflection in Reach's Action Sack. There was something sort of hilarious about sniping on a small map, and the mix of long sight lines and hard corners on Reflection made the game type - which I have historically detested - quite fun.

Sniper games in general seem to come down to setting up camp on the best map control points on larger maps, across the series. In Reach, those are just so much more dominating due to map and gameplay differences.

A27_StarWolf said:
It's all that firefight getting in the way :p.
This is true, actually.

Willeth

I've enjoyed the odd game of Snipers, but the ones I've enjoyed are definitely in the minority. I did have one on Tempest recently that I absolutely loved but it's a rarity that it happens.

Headlong was one of my favorite Sniper maps. That and Colossus.

I think some of the new BTB maps would play well in Snipers. Renegade would be much better than Hemorrhage. And we all know how much Ghaleon loves the sniper on Trident. ;)

Hey You

Dax01 said:
What's the best level to get the weekly on? 15 minutes? I'm guessing Winter Contingency, right?
Nightfall seems like the best bet.

I've been trying but Jun has been shooting at the enemies while I try to do the forklift glitch. And it doesn't help that I can't do the forklift glitch :p

Striker

ncsuDuncan said:
Headlong was one of my favorite Sniper maps. That and Colossus.
Great maps, but I also really enjoyed Relic, Zanzibar, Burial Mounds, and even Terminal despite some player's being magnetized to the garage. :lol

Dax01 said:
What's the best level to get the weekly on? 15 minutes? I'm guessing Winter Contingency, right?
I did mine on Nightfall.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm so not the right person to comment on snipers game types, but one of the only ones I've enjoyed was Shotty Snipers on Reflection in Reach's Action Sack. There was something sort of hilarious about sniping on a small map, and the mix of long sight lines and hard corners on Reflection made the game type - which I have historically detested - quite fun.

Sniper games in general seem to come down to setting up camp on the best map control points on larger maps, across the series. In Reach, those are just so much more dominating due to map and gameplay differences.

This is true, actually.

Let me know when you want to start working on project: ghalwolfean

WOWWWWWWWW

SO I have been doing piss poor recently, almost bad enough to say Tashi, take me off the list. Then I realized that game mode was turned off on my television.

Killing Frenzy's ensued, followed by a nice running riot.

wwm0nkey

halo-2-waterworks.jpg

If there will be no Halo 2 remake, I atleast demand this map come back as DLC.

Striker said:
Great maps, but I also really enjoyed Relic, Zanzibar, Burial Mounds, and even Terminal despite some player's being magnetized to the garage. :lol
Yeah, those were great too. Ahh, nostalgia.
----
@bungietweets:
"The only thing we're counting down to is this year's Bungie Day. #fakewebsites"

Well we already knew that countdown was fake, but could this be a hint at a Bungie Day reveal?

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Bungie skipped E3 and made their huge announcement on Bungie Day? I could see that as something they do, celebrating their independence from Microsoft and showing off their favorable deal with Activision. Kind of a "we don't need your fancy E3 conferences anymore", sticking it to The Man deal.

And even without any huge announcement I'm really looking forward to seeing what Bungie Day brings us this year.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Winter Contingency, because every encounter prior to the trooper pick up can be skipped.

Nightfall, because you can sprint through the entire mission, and then employ Forky for the shortcut at the end.

I'm actually curious to try it on ONI with a speedrun partner. Dash through the courtyard battle, then do fast drive by hits on the two switches. Then use the Gauss Hog to plow through vehicles, dash through the base quick a the end. Would probably be the more challenging map to try it on.

Speed runs on Tip of the Spear are doable as well.

I'm going to plow through it on Winter with my daughter tonight, but if anyone wants to try a more creative two player run I'm down to help out.

Tunavi

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
SO I have been doing piss poor recently, almost bad enough to say Tashi, take me off the list. Then I realized that game mode was turned off on my television.
lol I knew it was your TV! I was concerned with how bad you were playing. Standard Def Master Race.
Plywood said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRp5DpScrNI&t=0m26s
Ramirez said:
hahaha classy dudes

wwm0nkey

ncsuDuncan said:
@bungietweets:
"The only thing we're counting down to is this year's Bungie Day. #fakewebsites"

Well we already knew that countdown was fake, but could this be a hint at a Bungie Day reveal?

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Bungie skipped E3 and made their huge announcement on Bungie Day? I could see that as something they do, celebrating their independence from Microsoft and showing off their favorable deal with Activision. Kind of a "we don't need your fancy E3 conferences anymore", sticking it to The Man deal.

And even without any huge announcement I'm really looking forward to seeing what Bungie Day brings us this year.
Well there is always something good for Bungie day, but now with them no longer making stuff for Halo: Reach i am expecting a hint to what their next game might be or something along those lines.

Striker said:
You bastard.

I raise you.

relic.jpg]

oh yeah well

512155-halo_2___mp_map_pack___xbox_large.jpg

I win.

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
Well there is always something good for Bungie day, but now with them no longer making stuff for Halo: Reach i am expecting a hint to what their next game might be or something along those lines.
Aye. In years past it's been a peek at upcoming projects, be they maps or games. Since they're not doing any new maps, the fact that Bungie Day will be a big deal strikes me as...a big deal. That's going to be a fun thread this year. :D

wwm0nkey said:
halo-2-waterworks.jpg

If there will be no Halo 2 remake, I atleast demand this map come back as DLC.
Never played Halo 2 online but I loved this map to play with a few friends. Ridiculous games were had with tanks, banshees etc. but it was just so fun to play with 3 friends next to you.

(the same could be said for Headlong actually :p)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A27 Tawpgun said:
Team 1 is stacked for good reason. If they win, team 2 can finish out, and if team 2 loses, super team is deployed. If team 1 loses, super team is deployed. So its best to count on team 1 winning.

Also, what's the deal with weeklies that should be dailies?

whatever. Waiting for POA LASO.
Is this legal Duncan? I wanted to run it like this, I'm just not sure if we can...

And yea Bread, you're still in the running. Everyone is.

GhaleonEB said:
Aye. In years past it's been a peek at upcoming projects, be they maps or games. Since they're not doing any new maps, the fact that Bungie Day will be a big deal strikes me as...a big deal. That's going to be a fun thread this year. :D
Everyone was hyped because Hemorrhage made his return. haha. awesome to read and compare with today's opinions.

Tashi0106 said:
Is this legal Duncan? I wanted to run it like this, I'm just not sure if we can...

Yes. Basically, no later than Wednesday you submit a roster of 6-18 people. When a match is starting (say, GAF vs. SFU) I will send a party invite to the team leader (you) and then you invite 5 or 6 people from your roster (depending on whether or not you're playing in Game 1). After the map/gametype is picked I will make sure the lobby is 6v6, set it to Invite Only and then leave.

After Game 1 is over and Game 2 is about to start you can invite new people, keep the same team, mix em up, whatever. As long as the teams are still 6v6 and everyone playing is on the roster. Same for Game 3.

Tunavi said:

To remain impartial I will not point out how completely hilarious that is. (It wasn't me.)

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
rofl - awesome.

I'm having trouble with their acronym (sorry, initialism) - I keep reading the capitalized version as STFU, and when I see their forum url written out, I see it as 'suxgaming'.

My brain is being bad to me. :(
That's how I read both as well. Must be an age thing.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
No one read around that terrible site/forums? sadface
Yeah I did. It's quite hilarious. But to be fair, they are mostly 15 years old. I'll be so sad if we lose to them...

Also, you really are the flakiest person ever aren't you? Avoided my question twice now... Worthless is what you are.

Trasher said:
If we can get Team 2 solidified soon then we can get some 1v2 scrims going. So if there are any of you out there that feel you are better than or equal to those of us on the teams, I urge you to get on and play with us this week. We need a few more solid players.

does this still apply? I'm available if needed and have pm'd my GT to Tashi in case he wants to check my k/d or highest multi-kill(lolz)

Ramirez

Ramirez said:
lol! Shots fired at Lake Minnetonka, news at 11.

I should be free Trash, I don't anticipate anything coming up.

Say what you will about COD/Activision, but MW3 is rumored to be shipping with 23 MP maps, then of course plenty of 5 count map packs. In other news, I had fun playing on Forge World for 80% of my games last night. :|
But isn't MW3 being made by three different companies? That's not exactly fair.

Ramirez

Hitmonchan107 said:

3 companies or not, the stock MP map count in Reach is appalling. Especially when you consider how many FW maps and Invasion maps there were. Oh how I hope Invasion and Forge (as we know it) get the axe in the next game.

Detox

Hitmonchan107 said:
Black Ops made by one dev in 2 years shipped with more maps than Reach, with bots, better theatre mode and player investment system. I'm starting to think Bungie really weren't 100% behind this game, not that they will ever come out and say it.

Ramirez said:
3 companies or not, the stock MP map count in Reach is appalling. Especially when you consider how many FW maps and Invasion maps there were. Oh how I hope Invasion and Forge (as we know it) get the axe in the next game.

I think one of the problems with Invasion is the transition from phase 1 to phase 2. The level suddenly expands without giving the defense a chance to fall back and, you know, defend. I believe it would work better with a style borrowed from games/maps like Team Fortress 2's Dustbowl. After the first objective has been captured the round restarts, using a new section of the map (with the unused first section blocked off!) and resetting players to their new spawn points.

I also think Invasion would be more unique if it was the only playlist that let you choose your Armor Ability at spawn, but that's in my imaginary Reach where Sprint is the default and all other AAs are pickups.

As for Forge, I assume you'd still want a map editor and map maker that are as easy to use. Personally I'd just be happy with a version of Forge that fixes the framerate issues and gives you multiple textures/skyboxes to choose from.

Striker said:
You bastard.

I raise you.

2pobnkk.jpg

Goddamn can we just get the game on XBLA already?

Ramirez said:
lol! Shots fired at Lake Minnetonka, news at 11.

I should be free Trash, I don't anticipate anything coming up.

Say what you will about COD/Activision, but MW3 is rumored to be shipping with 23 MP maps, then of course plenty of 5 count map packs. In other news, I had fun playing on Forge World for 80% of my games last night. :|

I'm sure 10 of those 23 maps are maps that are already made but will be released as DLC. So, 13 maps on the disc.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Detox said:
Black Ops made by one dev in 2 years shipped with more maps than Reach, with bots, better theatre mode and player investment system. I'm starting to think Bungie really weren't 100% behind this game, not that they will ever come out and say it.
I can't hear you over how definitive this Halo is from the people that brought us Halo.

Top Bottom