• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Ken

Tunavi said:
Armor abilities are annoying now because they are spammed like crazy. If they were put on maps as something to fight over, support map movement, or to counter power weapons, I'd be really okay with that.
Armor abilities aren't power weapons. None of the armor abilities on a single person will be able to do the things you described, at least not to a significant effect. On the other hand, an overshield can.

Tunavi said:
I just realized how strange it is that armor abilities pick-ups aren't in any non-MLG playlist. Halo has always been about picking up weapons/powerups to gain an edge over the other team. Loadouts don't work for Slayer. It's not how Halo works. I really want to see this variant of slayer in matchmaking:
DMR starts, no load-outs or armor abilities on spawn. Armor abilities placed on the maps like power weapons (I don't know how many, which ones and where yet, suggestions?).

Right now as it is, AA's are obviously spammed all the time. People take them for granted because you simply spawn again with a loadout and armor ability again.

That's not how power weapons work. If you pick up rockets, you are a target, a threat, and a powerhouse. It wouldn't be that special if you died and got rockets again. This is how AA's should work too.

Armor abilities are annoying now because they are spammed like crazy. If they were put on maps as something to fight over, support map movement, or to counter power weapons, I'd be really okay with that.

Thoughts? I'd like to see this in matchmaking, but I'd be happy just playing this in customs (do we even have those anymore? lol)

Your opinion of AA contradicts how AA's were designed to be used in Reach by Bungie however. You are supposed to be able to use them frequently and obviously spawn with one. I seriously doubt you'll see them as pickups in a core playlist.

Ken said:
Armor abilities aren't power weapons. None of the armor abilities on a single person will be able to do the things you described, at least not to a significant effect. On the other hand, an overshield can.

the polka has spoken.

Halo Community Tournament bracket

I used a random bracket generator to avoid favoritism. 2old2play got the bye (out of 31 teams).

GAF's first match will be against Six Feet Under. To remain impartial I will refrain from commenting on their site.

Ken said:
Please tell me how an Overshield pickup is more valuable than an Armor Lock pickup. And how it does not "counter power weapons."
Also tell me how having the only Jetpack on the map does not "support map movement". As much as they break map design I would prefer that players not be able to spawn with one.

Still, I don't think you should spawn without any AA; with Reach's movement speed I think you should at least start with Sprint.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Halo Waypoint
XForgery

HBO
MetaHalo

HaloCharts
Halo Wheelmen

Community Carnage
The Gamers 4 Life

Ready Up Live
Fear The Sphere

Gaming By Grace
Above the Rest Gaming

Team Schooly D
The Workplace

NeoGAF
Six Feet Under

GrifballHub
Spirits of Fire

H20
Destructoid

High Speed Halo
40th Assault Battalion

Penny Arcade Forums
Gamers@|C&S|

405th.com
Master Theory

PMS Halo
OMG

Ascendant Justice/FUD
HaloTracks

2old2play*

Well Six Feet Under these are the best of the best. It is extremely hard to get into The Competitive Team. If you want to try out to get in you must message either SFUx RAMPAGE or SFUx Dubstep. We will determine if you are good enough to join by doing a 1v1, playing MLG with you to determine your teamwork skills, view your halo charts and bungie.net service record to really see if you have what it takes.

What does The Competitive Team do? The Competitive Team represents everything that is skillful in Six Feet Under and we show the halo reach community what we have got. The Competitive Team will do 4v4's in MLG and Slayer Pro against other clans and teams that challenge us seriously or if they just want to see how good we are. The two leaders of The Competitive Team are SFUx RAMPAGE and SFUx Dubstep. And the main 4 player MLG team players are SFUx Dubstep, SFUx UNDETAINED, SFUx RAMPAGE and xXImpulse420Xx.

This is the competitive team:

SFUx RAMPAGE(1.34 KD in halo reach matchmaking, rank: Mythic, team doubles: gold, Highest multi-kill: Killionare, highest kill spree: Unfrigginbelievable 57, 3 exterminations, 6 perfections).

SFUx Dubstep(1.70 KD in halo reach matchmaking, rank: Eclipse, Highest multi-kill: Killpocalypse, Highest kill spree: Unfrigginbelievable, 23 exterminations, 7 perfections).

SFUx UNDETAINED(2.02 KD in halo reach matchmaking, rank: Captain grade 3, Highest multi-kill: Killtacular, Highest kill spree: Untouchable, 2 perfections).

SFUxBlankKnight(1.59 KD in halo reach matchmaking, rank: Brigadier grade 3, highest kill spree: Untouchable, Highest Multi-kill: Killtacular, 3 exterminations, 1 perfection).

XXOh PuddingX(1.99 KD in halo reach matchmaking, rank: Noble, highest multi-kill: Killionare, highest killing spree: unfrigginbelievable, 4 exterminations, 16 perfections)

SFUx IMPULSE(1.46 KD in halo reach matchmaking)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A27 Tawpgun said:
Best get to putting together the best teams you can.

Because honestly, they look pretty good.
Just have to decide the final 3 players. I got pretty much everything else covered.

Tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:
Just have to decide the final 3 players. I got pretty much everything else covered.
Very nice.

Also, whats the official gameplan so far?

3 Teams and one combined superteam if shit hits the fan?

Tunavi

Banned
Ken said:
Jetpacks totally override any sense of map movement, Active Camo throws off the radar of any enemy in proximity, Drop shield can protect an entire team from grenades and gunfire, armor lock can literally withstand anything. They aren't literally weapons, but they sure are powerful.

Tashi0106 said:
31 teams?! Wow nice job organizing this.
Big ups to Duncan for being so profesh and helping out. This wouldn't have been possible without you, big poppa.

http://tinyurl.com/6qfukd

Thought I was going to hit you with the Biggie Smalls? Too bad! I decided to Jones your raggedy asses. BALLIN'! Seriously, I've gotta stop watching Parks and Rec.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Ken said:
Somebodies never seen MLG =P

So have we figured out our teams yet? We should practice at least a little bit.

Tunavi

Banned
SFUx RAMPAGE
SFUx Dubstep
SFUx UNDETAINED
SFUxBlankKnight
XXOh PuddingX
SFUx IMPULSE

ncsuDuncan said:
To remain impartial I will refrain from commenting on their site.
From the site:
hEO1Q.png

Tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:
2 teams. 1 super team.
So the super team is comprised of members from both teams? Or is one of the teams the super?

Anyway, them having one team is good and bad news. Bad news is it seems this is a community that is based around being competitive, and they apparently have their best.

Good news is I guess we get to see how they play? Who's goon on their team, how they operate ect. Not sure what difference it would make, but its something....

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
2 teams. 1 super team.
Get on AIM.

A27 Tawpgun said:
So the super team is comprised of members from both teams? Or is one of the teams the super?

Anyway, them having one team is good and bad news. Bad news is it seems this is a community that is based around being competitive, and they apparently have their best.

Good news is I guess we get to see how they play? Who's goon on their team, how they operate ect. Not sure what difference it would make, but its something....
The super team is the best players from both teams. Tashi is spreading the love between the two teams.

GhaleonEB

Living Dead really is a horrifying playlist. Every map has exploits for players to stand around and turkey shoot zombies in volume. The ledges on sword base, the open side of Countdown, about 85 places on The Cage. Every game is a rush to those spots - and there are tons on every map - and then everyone else rushes at them. That's it. That's the entire game.

Just....wow.

Ken

LAUGHTREY said:
Somebodies never seen MLG =P

Yup, I haven't.

Tunavi said:
Jetpacks totally override any sense of map movement, Active Camo throws off the radar of any enemy in proximity, Drop shield can protect an entire team from grenades and gunfire, armor lock can literally withstand anything. They aren't literally weapons, but they sure are powerful.

Jetpack provides movement for one person, not an entire team. If anything it splits one player away from the rest of the team or is going to be more exposed because of the higher altitude.

Active Camo's radar effect, with a coordinated team, might help but without one it pretty much tells the opposing team that an enemy is nearby as well as how he's moving.

An entire team in a Drop Shield sounds like a bad idea.

Armor lock withstands anything but also makes you unable to fire back and help your teammates actively push forward. Also, aside from rockets using armor lock to block a sniper round isn't very beneficial. Even then a person with armor lock needs some good reflexes to make the most out of it. Overshield let's you push forward with a team or move to cover while taking a rocket or sniper round.

I don't play or watch MLG so I'm basing my opinions on what I've experienced in matchmaking.

GhaleonEB said:
Living Dead really is a horrifying playlist. Every map has exploits for players to stand around and turkey shoot zombies in volume. The ledges on sword base, the open side of Countdown, about 85 places on The Cage. Every game is a rush to those spots - and there are tons on every map - and then everyone else rushes at them. That's it. That's the entire game.

Just....wow.

Yeah it makes me sad :/ because Halo 3 Zombies was actually a ton of fun.

WOAH

I'm a member now :D

Tawpgun

Tunavi said:
Get our Forky shenanigans up.

Also, Living Dead? More like If-I'm-a-zombie-I'll-go-AFK Dead.

What they still haven't fixed from Halo 3 is how last man should work. The person with the highest kills shouldn't win. Last man should.

Better yet. Give last man an extra 10 or so points for surviving, since that has always been the point of zombies. To survive.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A27 Tawpgun said:

Well I think they have a pretty big advantage over us being one team. I know they've already played with each other a good amount and they have a lot of time to practice. Most of us will only have one game to play and there's an added pressure to perform because you only get one shot. If you're cold or having a bad game, that's it.

So I'm just going to post the rosters I have set right now and we'll take it from there.

Team 1:

Nutter
Plywood
Trasher
Ram
Thermite
Omlet

Team 2:

Tashi
Juices
Kyle J
???
???
???

Super team:
Undecided.

I'll make sure I'm available this week to play. I'll be on after 6pm every day. Be sure to contact me if you need to try out. Even if you've tried out already, let's play more. I will post here when I get on as well.

Once rosters are set, I hope to get team 1 vs team 2 matches going on as often as possible.

Tunavi

Banned
Trasher said:
It's going to be a joyous match of Zombies for all to enjoy!
Infection, Sword Base, Survivors spawn on the exploit ledge lolz
Is it like an "after party" for the tournament or something? haha. If it's not going to be super competitive, I'd like to join in
Plywood said:
Yeah this game totally could use some more Forge Maps.
I can sense your sarcasm, Sheetrock.

Plywood said:
I lol'd.

<3

Stop editing extra late Tunavi, just go for a new reply.
you're a bitch

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tunavi said:
Infection needs custom forge maps. Launch maps weren't designed for infection, its only fun on maps designed for survivor and zombie gameplay

blamite

Plywood said:
Wasn't there a Forgetacular winner for an infection map? Why hasn't that been implemented yet? Hell, are there still a bunch of Forgetacular winners that aren't in matchmaking?

Edit: Here's the Weekly Update where the winners were announced. So far, Atonement, Mansion, Saucered, and Cobra are the maps that aren't in matchmaking yet. Only 3 out of the 7 winners are in matchmaking. Why aren't they all? They won for a reason, right?

Trasher

Captain Blood said:
Good luck to you guys. The competition seems legit, I wish I was able play. I would at least tryout to see if i could help you guys.
I asked you last week if you wanted to! You still can lol.

Thermite said:
Dat Team 1
We need to get back to top form this week before it starts on Saturday. So get your LA Noire out of the way by tonight, and I expect to see you all on Reach for the rest of the week!

Tunavi said:
What is the deal with the custom game?
The custom games came as a result of the HaloGAF shitstorm that went down a week or two ago. We wanted there to be a way for people to participate if they didn't make the cut for the tournament teams. As long as you participate in either customs or the tournament you are entered into the drawing for prizes (there are also guaranteed prizes for the tournament winners). We have some volunteers from 343i that will participate in the custom games (as an added consolation prize for people that can't play in the tournament).

I imagine they will be 16-player matches judging from the level of interest. Thankfully there is a source for matchmaking gametypes and maps so that customs don't turn into 8v8 headhunter on Sword Base. :p

Trasher

Ramirez said:
lol, why do these tards list their highest multikill as if it came from any where other than Grifball? Legit.
I was waiting for the first trash-talking lol. Ram you better show up this weekend! Will you be able to make it?

ncsuDuncan said:
The custom games came as a result of the HaloGAF shitstorm that went down a week or two ago. We wanted there to be a way for people to participate if they didn't make the cut for the tournament teams. As long as you participate in either customs or the tournament you are entered into the drawing for prizes (there are also guaranteed prizes for the tournament winners). We have some volunteers from 343i that will participate in the custom games (as an added consolation prize for people that can't play in the tournament).

I imagine they will be 16-player matches judging from the level of interest. Thankfully there is a source for matchmaking gametypes and maps so that customs don't turn into 8v8 headhunter on Sword Base. :p

We're hoping more 343 members will join when it sees how many people are participating in the event.

If you haven't already, you guys should start thinking about what maps/gametypes you're going to pick in the tournament.

And the teams are looking legit. Great job, Tashi.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
blamite said:
Wasn't there a Forgetacular winner for an infection map? Why hasn't that been implemented yet? Hell, are there still a bunch of Forgetacular winners that aren't in matchmaking?

Edit: Here's the Weekly Update where the winners were announced. So far, Atonement, Mansion, Saucered, and Cobra are the maps that aren't in matchmaking yet. Only 3 out of the 7 winners are in matchmaking. Why aren't they all? They won for a reason, right?
Regardless...

I was joking. If Forge had more shapes and more color variety it would go a long way in being bearable.
Trasher said:
We need to get back to top form this week before it starts on Saturday. So get your LA Noire out of the way by tonight, and I expect to see you all on Reach for the rest of the week!
Definitely wanna get in games with the rest of the team.

Karl2177

I think I've asked this before, but...

Does anyone know of any good aggregate stats programs? I used to use H30pp for Halo 3, but it stopped working for some unknown reason. I'm looking for one on Halo 3 or Reach. If anyone knows of one, thanks. If not, then someone with mad coding skills needs to get to work.

Trasher

Plywood said:
Definitely wanna get in games with the rest of the team.
If we can get Team 2 solidified soon then we can get some 1v2 scrims going. So if there are any of you out there that feel you are better than or equal to those of us on the teams, I urge you to get on and play with us this week. We need a few more solid players.

Top Bottom