• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

zlatko

Banned
Havok said:
You're saying that you're disappointed in 343 from your own speculation about a game that hasn't been announced yet and may not even exist.

Give them some time.

I guess I should say I'm going to be disappointed if it is just a simple HD upboot of H1. That's literally THE safest choice on the planet. I'd much rather see them do anything that isn't just a remake.

All signs do point that it is a remake of the first Halo though. So, I'm already disappointed by that, but I think I could still be on board with it for a purchase depending on how much they are going to do with it.

Tawpgun

Listen, SFU might be cool guys but I was under the impression that this tournament was only for big name, more famous Halo communities. I have NEVER heard of SFU and they don't look to be too big or professional from their website.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Listen, SFU might be cool guys but I was under the impression that this tournament was only for big name, more famous Halo communities. I have NEVER heard of SFU and they don't look to be too big or professional from their website.

The tournament announcement was intentionally vague about what it means to be a "Halo community." We didn't want to just make it a wide-open tournament that would result in 200 18-man teams entering, but we also didn't want to restrict it to an inclusive "Friends of Hitmonchan and ncsuDuncan" tournament.

We're getting prizes donated from 343, so we wanted to avoid any ill will or negative backlash that being subjective in the selection process would create. Once we figured out that we'd need a bracket of 32 we tried to fit in as many teams as we could, even if they didn't have the population and professionalism that HaloGAF does. ;)

Dax01 said:
This tournament is gonna happen all in one day, right?

Yes. Hopefully we can get it done within the time slot. (7pm-11pm EST this Saturday.) I figure 4 hours for a 5-round tournament should work. That's roughly 48 minutes per round. I think we can gather the teams and play 3 games within 48 minutes.

Ramirez

zlatko said:
I guess I should say I'm going to be disappointed if it is just a simple HD upboot of H1. That's literally THE safest choice on the planet. I'd much rather see them do anything that isn't just a remake.

All signs do point that it is a remake of the first Halo though. So, I'm already disappointed by that, but I think I could still be on board with it for a purchase depending on how much they are going to do with it.

Well, there's always Reach waiting to take you back in should you be disappointed with their game.

Trasher

ncsuDuncan said:
Yes. Hopefully we can get it done within the time slot. (7pm-11pm EST this Saturday.) I figure 4 hours for a 5-round tournament should work. That's roughly 48 minutes per round. I think we can gather the teams and play 3 games within 48 minutes.
That's a good goal time-wise. Have the three gametypes/maps been decided for each round?

zlatko

Banned
Ramirez said:
Well, there's always Reach waiting to take you back in should you be disappointed with their game.

Yup, but it'll be an interesting shift once this new game is out with where Reach will be. The community might totally die out if the majority likes the new game and I'm in the minority, and there's the fact that the DLC train will be run dry once the new game is under way fully right?

I'm just going to remain cautiously optimistic for what the full game will be.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Lol, we COULD have put in an A27 team :p

Detox

zlatko said:
Yup, but it'll be an interesting shift once this new game is out with where Reach will be. The community might totally die out if the majority likes the new game and I'm in the minority, and there's the fact that the DLC train will be run dry once the new game is under way fully right?

The DLC will not run out, unlimited free maps on Forge World think of all the possibilities. Neither will the community die out, triple jackpot playlists for grifball and living dead will ensure the Reach community stays where it is, they may lose around 10% of the Slayer population to the new game but that is nothing when you take in the big picture.

Detox said:
The DLC will not run out, unlimited free maps on Forge World think of all the possibilities. Neither will the community die out, triple jackpot playlists for grifball and living dead will ensure the Reach community stays where it is, they may lose around 10% of the Slayer population to the new game but that is nothing when you take in the big picture.

The best way to have a Halo remake is to do it on PC. If they made one for PC they could make it look amazing, and the multi player online would make sense there.

A27_StarWolf said:
The best way to have a Halo remake is to do it on PC. If they made one for PC they could make it look amazing, and the multi player online would make sense there.

You want a game known for reinventing the console shooter and played a large part in the popularization of console shooters today to be remade on PC?

Ramirez

zlatko said:

I was being completely sarcastic, I can't wait to move on from Reach, I don't care if it was a remake of Halo 3.

A27_StarWolf said:

We already have Halo PC. Why remake the PC version when it still has online, still has a community and still has new community made maps for it?

A27_StarWolf said:

Halo 1 (and 2) has already been ported to PC, im still hoping for a Halo 1 or 2 remake with live capabilities. :p

Either way, I dont see 343 being so quick to bring the next Halo game out, but im hoping they are planning more than just remakes, I cant wait to continue the story, Hopefully they will have a teaser at this E3 for a full sequel due out next year. :p

Either that or they will show a montage full of Armour Locking and Bloom.

The Real Napsta said:
We already have Halo PC. Why remake the PC version when it still has online, still has a community and still has new community made maps for it?
Yeah I got my start there.

Agree with me or not, that is one way Microsoft could release a Halo Remake without having to worry about it affecting Reach.

A27_StarWolf said:

Agree with me or not, that is one way Microsoft could release a Halo Remake without having to worry about it affecting Reach.

I don't see the problem with it "affecting Reach". They already have our money.

A27_StarWolf said:

The Real Napsta said:
I don't see the problem with it "affecting Reach". They already have our money.

Yeah I doubt that Microsoft is that concerned with the population of Reach's online community.

They would certainly make more money of releasing a 60 dollar game that DLC for Reach.

Gah, the episodic nature of the motion comic of the Mona Lisa is really starting to aggravate me. Episode 4 was good, but the rest (1-3 and 5) have been I'd argue ruined because of it.

vhfive

Tashi0106 said:
OK I'm on. Message NYSTOFMIND23 to those who need to try out. Let's do this.
I'm not trying out (I'm working that night and I know my skill level) but send an invite if you need another to even out teams

Zeouterlimits said:
Gah, the episodic nature of the motion comic of the Mona Lisa is really starting to aggravate me. Episode 4 was good, but the rest (1-3 and 5) have been I'd argue ruined because of it.

Agreed, in general im loving it, but I cant help but feel that 20 minuite episodes would have been better for the flow and tension of the story.

Anyone want to give me quick recap about this tourney, Trasher just sent me a message about it but I can't quite find some quick details on it in here even going back through some of the posts and I'm lazy as well, any answers would be appreciated. Still not sure what my Saturday schedule is however as well, so that is a minus on my part.

Trasher

CrazedArabMan said:
Anyone want to give me quick recap about this tourney, Trasher just sent me a message about it but I can't quite find some quick details on it in here even going back through some of the posts and I'm lazy as well, any answers would be appreciated. Still not sure what my Saturday schedule is however as well, so that is a minus on my part.
It takes place Saturday at 7pm EST. 31 Halo community teams are going to take part in it. 6v6 format. Three games per round. We have two teams we want to use. Tashi is the team leader forming the teams.

Trasher said:
It takes place Saturday at 7pm EST. 31 Halo community teams are going to take part in it. 6v6 format. Three games per round. We have two teams we want to use. Tashi is the team leader forming the teams.

Thanks, Currently I have no clue what is going on Saturday and truthfully you can probably get someone else with some more skill in Reach, if it was Halo 3 on the other hand I would have been in in a heartbeat. I'm not bad at Reach I just don't play it as much (though I have been playing more lately) and I'm just not as good as I was when I was playing Halo 3. But if you guys do need more people I might be able to join up, once again it just depends on what I have going on that day.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
wwm0nkey said:
"Spartans Unite"

wl41s3.jpg

Have fun at E3. :)

I'd love to be there. :(

@Duncan: Don't forget, I'm giving 3 Defiant MP codes to the winning community!

Hey You

Action Sack, First round voting:

-Dino Blasters on Zealot
-Dino Blasters on Powerhouse
-Dino Blasters on Uncaged

Thankfully None of the Above was voted.

But:

-Power Slayer on Powerhouse
-To the Death on Countdown
-Haloball Extreme

*face nuke*

Zeouterlimits said:
I'm just waiting until they're all out so I can watch it in one go.
Dani said:
RE: Community Tournament

Looking at the rules and the gametypes that are restricted.

Rocket Hogs on Spire sounds fun.
Well it's sort of assumed that no one will pick gametypes from Rumble Pit, Double Team, Multi-team, etc. No Invasion or Living Dead either.

So there could be Oddball, Headhunter, or Stockpile. Even Snipers. (No SWAT, since that one changes your shields. There aren't any gametypes allowed with modified movement/damage/health.)

I'll send out another email later this week pointing Team Captains to the Map/Gametype database with clarification on which ones are and aren't allowed.

feel

wwm0nkey said:
"Spartans Unite"

wl41s3.jpg
That yours? Put the armor lock icon on the master of part, for the lulz.

zlatko said:
I'm kinda sad 343 is taking the safest route now that they have Halo to their selves. Basically trying to build up cred with Halo fans by redoing the first with as little changes as possible is my bet, then they'll feel like they can go to do H4 with their own ideas.

I'm curious to see how big of an improvement it is on the original.
The 343 game reveal needs to be Frankie walking into a stage wielding a Battle Rifle. From the get-go that would send the message across that the dark times will over soon, good Halo is coming back. So Halo 4 please. Or Halo CEmake with EVERY good weapon, map, gameplay feature or detail from Halo 2 and 3 forcefully retconned into it. Halo CE is perfect as is, if they're indeed remaking it, it will be different somehow, so they might as well make the ultimate Halo game.

ncsuDuncan said:
I'm just waiting until they're all out so I can watch it in one go.
That wouldn't solve the problem for me. They're badly edited/scripted about to "suit" the episodic nature. The ending of the latest part, Part 5 is a clear example of this.

wwm0nkey

Letters said:
That yours? Put the armor lock icon on the master of part, for the lulz.
Sadly no it is not mine :( my manager that isnt going to E3 but got invited got a Nintendo invite so if he gets this I will just ask him for it :D

Hey You

Zeouterlimits said:
As a matter of interest, what were you wanting to play in Action Sack? What % of the overall Action Sack options is this/are these?
I enjoy all the gametypes except for To the Death and Dino blasters. I enjoy Halo ball, but not the extreme equivalent.

One of the 3 above mentioned always shows up sometime during the voting. It seems like To the Death and Dino Blasters are the most heavily weighted to show up.

Lakey B and I 1v1'd. Unfortunately it was so brilliant the light of our awesomeness blinded everyone and erased it from their minds.

We played spiker starts to 100.

I wish you could have been there.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
kylej said:
man, I just did Speedtest.net and have a pretty decent connection so I don't know why the lag was so bad for me tonight. I would kill people with a DMR headshot and it wouldn't register for like a full second on my end. will probably hop on after bruins if you guys are still on.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0062&cm_re=asus_router-_-33-320-062-_-Product

just bought this beast. hopefully it helps.

When it comes to P2P, you're always at the mercy of other people's connections.

Karl2177

MrBig said:
Just get a gigabit switch. Do not get a router, it will only fuck you over.
Best advice on the net. I was given a 24 port switch to use for LANs by a local church, and it has worked wonders.

Karl2177 said:
Best advice on the net. I was given a 24 port switch to use for LANs by a local church, and it has worked wonders.
My old church used to have Halo LAN parties all the time. That was so weird.

A bunch of 13-year-olds playing an M-rated game at a church -- there's so much wrong with that image.

Top Bottom