• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Blue Ninja said:
Wait, what?

Demo includes "the epic “Long Night of Solace” mission from the single player campaign. The demo also includes the competitive multiplayer map “Powerhouse” and a cooperative Firefight mission for Xbox LIVE online play!" :lol
"Long Night Of Solace" is an epic mission in my opinion. Breaching into the Saber Launch facility is awesome. The space part is unique today.(Sadly enough. Microsoft, bring out a new damn Crimson Skies. Nintendo, the remake is okay, but there has to be a new StarFox for Project Cafe) And the invading of the Convenant Corvette is interesting. Damn. that bridge is awesome. (I hope you want to criticize that. I guess not.)

Interesting that a demo comes out now. Does this mean 343 put it together or did Bungie actually do it?

What if 343 slipped something new into the demo as an easter egg? That would be a very sneaky way to hint at something just 2 weeks before E3...
----
Halo Remake:
- Disc 1: Halo CE campaign remake reboot using the Reach engine but with new weapons, adjusted movement, physics, etc. Same plot, you still play as Master Chief. The first level is still a corridor fight in the Pillar of Autumn, but the hallway layout is completely new and takes advantage of all the gaming advances that have come in the past 10 years. The game has an all new sandbox and movement style, it doesn't try to emulate the original's feel, it just has tons of environments and encounters that remind you of Halo 1 without trying to recreate them 1:1. The level/story progression follows Halo 1 with new missions thrown in and some missions completely redesigned. The new Library is still a daunting task with waves of Flood, but the actual level has been redesigned to be a little less frustrating. Small story bits have been retconned to fit better with Halo: Reach and Halo 2/3/books/etc.

TLDR: It doesn't try to be Halo CE. It just tries to remind you of Halo CE. Kind of like that Goldeneye 007 game for Wii (but good).

- Disc 2: Halo Reach multiplayer disc. With a Halo Classic multiplayer mode added. Would this be possible? I don't know, but this is just random speculation. It comes with a bunch of new maps for Reach multiplayer, but also lets you access a second set of playlists (still using the Reach UI) that have new weapons, physics, and damage models. Tons of actual remakes of Halo 1 and Halo 2 levels (instead of Forge World stuff). It won't play exactly like Halo 1 or 2, but it will play better than the Team Classic playlist, since they can add new guns and edit the damage for grenades/melee/etc.

Wishful thinking? Probably. But I'd buy something like that day 1.

Dax01 said:
Frankie said in an interview once that they would not outsource a project like that.
Not exactly. Here's what he said:

CVG interview said:
So we've always been open to those sort of mini-collaborations but as far as the core game experiences are concerned we have to keep that close to home. I think of Certain Infinity (Hitmon note: I just noticed this fact error. lol!) as being close to home because there's a lot of Bungie guys on that team, it's very natural.

In the future - who knows. Fundamentally, right now we're building a large powerful top tier studio to make triple-A experiences in the future, that's our general direction right now. We'll continue to do little collaborations with people but for core experiences we have to keep those close to home. There's lots of ways to do that and 343 Industries is one of them.

neoism

Letters said:
200432v.jpg
<3 but it isn't....

wwm0nkey

Certain Infinity makes all those kick ass maps right?

wonder if there is a reason why Halo maps sucked after Halo 2 and Certain Infinity was formed.

wwm0nkey said:

wonder if there is a reason why Halo maps sucked after Halo 2 and Certain Infinity was formed.

The company is called Certain Affinity. Hitmonchan's note was pointing out CVG's error.

And yes, they make kick-ass maps.

They've work on some great stuff:
- Tombstone and Desolation for Halo 2
- Age of Booty (XBLA game)
- Helped valve port Left 4 Dead to Xbox.
- Maps for CoD: World at War anc CoD: Black Ops
- Halo Waypoint
- Defiant Map Pack for Reach

wwm0nkey

ncsuDuncan said:
The company is called Certain Affinity. Hitmonchan's note was pointing out CVG's error.

And yes, they make kick-ass maps.

They've work on some great stuff:
- Tombstone and Desolation for Halo 2
- Age of Booty (XBLA game)
- Helped valve port Left 4 Dead to Xbox.
- Maps for CoD: World at War anc CoD: Black Ops
- Halo Waypoint
- Defiant Map Pack for Reach
Man they really do a lot of work for a lot of different things.

ncsuDuncan said:
Interesting that a demo comes out now. Does this mean 343 put it together or did Bungie actually do it?

What if 343 slipped something new into the demo as an easter egg? That would be a very sneaky way to hint at something just 2 weeks before E3...

@agdtinman (UI/graphic designer at Bungie) on Twitter: "Halo Reach…DEMO? So that's what the engineers at 343i have been up to…"

Not confirmation that 343 made the demo by any means, but I imagine he would know if Bungie had made it...

Fake edit: Looks like Bungie employee Josh_Hamrick was not aware of the demo either.

wwm0nkey

Remember Bungie has no control over the Halo: Reach code anymore. Still shocked they didnt seem to know about it though.

Wonder if there are any changes in the demo at all since the demo is probably all 343i controlled (MP wise)

Halo CE remake? I have the OG version right now from Games on Demand. It plays great. There is absolutely no need to do THAT again, unless there is something "new" to add to the experience. XBOX live multi= a remake that has a purpose to be made. Slightly related: did anyone pick up the N64 classic Perfect Dark for XBLA when it was remade? It has online multi, FYI. It's kind of a precedent and therefore a mostly expected feature, especially for shooters.
They're probably not even making it anyway so it doesn't matter....

I hope they're making it.

Hypertrooper said:
"Long Night Of Solace" is an epic mission in my opinion. Breaching into the Saber Launch facility is awesome. The space part is unique today.(Sadly enough. Microsoft, bring out a new damn Crimson Skies. Nintendo, the remake is okay, but there has to be a new StarFox for Project Cafe) And the invading of the Convenant Corvette is interesting. Damn. that bridge is awesome. (I hope you want to criticize that. I guess not.)
Hey now, LNoS is my favorite campaign mission in the game. I was :lol'ing because I didn't expect a freakin' demo to pop up. :lol

I even downloaded it, just to check it out. It made me wish Bungie had just stuck with one canon Noble Six, for some reason.

Frankie, over on HBO regarding the E3 press badges:
Or a random collection of Xbox terms for "gamey" stickers on an envelope.

:-/

The agency who made these simply wants attendees to put the stickers on their E3 badges to identify with a favorite Xbox motif. It has nothing to do with anything.

Sowwy.
Confirmed: The next Halo title will be a sticker collecting game.
B E L I E V E

wwm0nkey

ncsuDuncan said:

B E L I E V E
Ok so we kill the agency that thought that would be a good idea to mess with our hearts like that right?

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
Ok so we kill the agency that thought that would be a good idea to mess with our hearts like that right?
The only hearts messed with were the ones excessively bursting with hope anyways. Might as well cleanse those early, to mitigate the annual E3 meltdowns.

wwm0nkey

GhaleonEB said:
The only hearts messed with were the ones excessively bursting with hope anyways. Might as well cleanse those early, to mitigate the annual E3 meltdowns.
Still though its E3 we expect huge announcements, and to put something like that on a badge without it being there is just mean :(

ncsuDuncan said:

B E L I E V E
Dream crusher is reborn.

GhaleonEB said:
It was reported as news, the implication was there, was a poor decision.

So much donging this morning. GG's Choco/Kyle/Booties/Overdoze.

Love when I get matched against a group of Germans. Same Germans that beat us yesterday beat us today, its not even a fair connection. Fuck connections. Whats the allowance of latency? MM shouldn't accept that match...

By the way, it's only half the "Long Night of Solace"-mission that's included in the demo. It ends after the first space section. If anyone feels like going hunting for something secret, there's not a lot of spaces it could've been hidden. :lol

Booties

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
So much donging this morning. GG's Choco/Kyle/Booties/Overdoze.

Love when I get matched against a group of Germans. Same Germans that beat us yesterday beat us today, its not even a fair connection. Fuck connections. Whats the allowance of latency? MM shouldn't accept that match...

The only american on their team was so dongable too. LEBRONsSux got crushed by me repeatedly, but those fucking russo-germo panzers were untouchable. I forgot how shitty playing before noon can be because all the idiot europeans are awake still.

TheOddOne

ncsuDuncan said:
@agdtinman (UI/graphic designer at Bungie) on Twitter: "Halo Reach…DEMO? So that's what the engineers at 343i have been up to…"

Not confirmation that 343 made the demo by any means, but I imagine he would know if Bungie had made it...

Fake edit: Looks like Bungie employee Josh_Hamrick was not aware of the demo either.
Sie plot thickens!

Btw where is Justin Biebers ugly brother, doesn't he visit GAF anymore?

feel

neoism said:
<3 but it isn't....
How about when the time comes you do what I have to do now, play the previous game by yourself all foreveralone.jpg while everyone else has moved on to the current one. :p

xxjuicesxx said:
What is it called when you play so much Halo so quick that you start to become worse? Like a tunnel vision type thing.
I hate that, I usually overthink everything and let that ruin my game, you wouldn't know I've been playing Halo regularly for the past decade. It only gets worse the more I play in a single sitting. Only time I feel like a good effective player is when I come back to Halo after a long break.

Booties

Banned
Anyone else having a problem with firefight and campaign? I can't load the content. First time that's ever happened. I'm worried I scratched my disc or something

neoism

Letters said:
How about when the time comes you do what I have to do now, play the previous game by yourself all foreveralone.jpg while everyone else has moved on to the current one. :p

I hate that, I usually overthink everything and let that ruin my game, you wouldn't know I've been playing Halo regularly for the past decade. It only gets worse the more I play in a single sitting. Only time I feel like a good effective player is when I come back to Halo after a long break.
wow do you dislike Reach that much... :(. If 4 plays like the old shit, I'd probably do the same. But I just want 4 for the campaign, hopefully I'll love the Multi just as much.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Here's another interesting quote from Frankie in that article:
Publishing entity with a separate team for development, probably. Maybe something along the lines of "343 Games" or whatever.

Striker

wwm0nkey said:

You take that back. Construct and Epitaph were maps we'll remember for years.

Booshka

wwm0nkey said:
Who here is up for some classic customs tomorrow?

I am talking Halo 2 and CE on XBC.
Me, especially for Halo CE. I'll have to play H2 on my 360, don't have the maps on my OG Xbox, but Halo CE doesn't run too well on 360 so I'll be switching to Xbox for H1. I'm up to play both games though.

Another Destiny shirt, via "Yaters" on HBO
I've seen this symbol before. A certain Bungie employee/friend came over for a LAN party last summer and had a whole set of these shirts (4 or 5 different ones). That 'destiny' symbol is on the shoulder as well. I'm blacking out the face and something in my basement that you shouldn't see.
I promised not to reveal what 'FWC' means but it was pretty generic and didn't divulge anything.

Honestly, my 'friend' doesn't clue us in on anything even though I try to trip him up and ask revealing questions.

Anyhow, just thought you'd be interested in another shirt with a symbol and a cryptic acronym.
14vX1.jpg

Definitely supports the theory of multiple factions/companies.

My guess? "First World Colonies" but I'm sure GAF can come up with something better.

GhaleonEB

Zeouterlimits said:
It was reported as news, the implication was there, was a poor decision.
Eh. To be clear I was making a sarcastic quip at people who get wee too hyped up for E3 (Mind you, I'm hyped. I'm talking hyper-hyped). I don't read anything into Frankie's non-denial. You can't trust that man. I wouldn't read anything into the badges or Frankie's post, actually. Toying with our emotions brings his cold heart joy.

Still think there's a Halo annoncement at E3, either way.

Ramirez

ncsuDuncan said:

Am I the only one who read this as an extremely back handed comment?

I also believe that there's no way Halo 4 is shown at E3, I'd put my money on next gen Xbox launch title for that...

Louis Wu

Nutter said:
Apparently destroying Vehicles sometimes counts as Kills and sometimes they do not. This bug is very obvious when playing BTB.
It's not a bug.

It counts as a kill if the guy inside is still alive. It doesn't if the guy isn't. So if you kill him first, and it makes the vehicle blow up (which happens regularly, and is NOT A BUG - damage is applied from the death), you don't get a vehicle kill.

This isn't well-explained in the game - but it's not a bug.

Ramirez

HiredN00bs said:
Nobody seems to be buzzing about more Reach DLC. Surely there'll be an announcement at E3 or PAX?

I couldn't care less about more dlc for this game, I actually groan out loud when we're forced to play the Defiant list. That said, I'm sure there's at least one more planned map pack.

Ramirez said:
Am I the only one who read this as an extremely back handed comment?
What? It's just friendly poking at the fact that 343 hasn't announced a game yet. It's a joke, and I interpreted no back-handedness to it at all.
I also believe that there's no way Halo 4 is shown at E3, I'd put my money on next gen Xbox launch title for that...
I'm betting that Halo will be at E3 in some new form, whether that's Reach DLC or Halo 4. I'd also bet that Halo 4 will be on Xbox 360. It's still too early for the Super Xbox 720. Microsoft just launched Kinect and I don't think they're going to rush things just because Nintendo is finally catching up to the current gen with a new console. If there was also a Playstation 4 on the horizon, maybe. But that's not happening.

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
It's not a bug.

It counts as a kill if the guy inside is still alive. It doesn't if the guy isn't. So if you kill him first, and it makes the vehicle blow up (which happens regularly, and is NOT A BUG - damage is applied from the death), you don't get a vehicle kill.

This isn't well-explained in the game - but it's not a bug.
Yup, it's one of the quirks of the independant vehicle/player health systems. But there are some inconsistancies, though. At least, in Firefight.

I home in on Wraiths on Beachhead like a laser, and can take them down seconds after they land on either location. (Many games end up something like this, with 12 Wraith kills.)

Most of the time I hit the Wraith with an overcharge, board the back, plant a grenade, and hop off to watch it (or hear it, as I'm sprinting away) blow up. About half the time, it counts as a Double Kill, I assume as the Grunt gunner and Elite driver are killed together. About half the time it's a single kill. I can take two down down back to back, both with turret gunners in place, and have one be Double and one a single. I have no idea what causes the variability.

Ramirez

ncsuDuncan said:
What? It's just friendly poking at the fact that 343 hasn't announced a game yet. It's a joke, and I interpreted no back-handedness to it at all.

Perhaps, not the way I read it in my mind though.

Hey You

HiredN00bs said:
Nobody seems to be buzzing about more Reach DLC. Surely there'll be an announcement at E3 or PAX?
I was hoping the next DLC would have been announced by now. I hope we get one soon (If they are still even making DLC).

Top Bottom