• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

A27_StarWolf said:
Forge FX, now that I think about it, that might improve it drastically.

Forge FX lower framerate. It's bright because it's on Tempest. The solution is to use The Pit remake from the guy who made noble creek. It's on Forge World.

or you could just lower your in game brightness setting.

The Real Napsta said:
Forge FX lower framerate. It's bright because it's on Tempest. The solution is to use The Pit remake from the guy who made noble creek. It's on Forge World.

I actually really like the aesthetic of the tempest version. The view out of the window side is amazing.

The Real Napsta said:

That's true, but I'd really hate to do that every time I played on the map.

I'll suck it up and get used to it. :^)

Well, shall we make E3 predictions? Those are always fun. I'll go the extra distance and do a timeline for the next game.

My prediction:

- E3: 343 reveals new trailer for next Halo game. Release date: 2012
- PAX: Halo Fest happens. No new Halo game playable, but perhaps we'll get a second teaser trailer. Whatever happens, it'll be a kick-ass time.
- Holiday: The first of the new Karen Traviss books hits store shelves. Set after the events of "Halo 3" but before "Halo 4," the books will last up until next fall. This will do what the Bendis comics attempted to do.
- Early Fall 2012: New Halo game.

My overall prediction: No "Halo: CE" remake from 343. If we do get one, it'll be from another company (Certain Affinity) or a small Microsoft branch (Microsoft Vancouver). "Halo 4" will release next year.

Hitmonchan107 said:

Well, shall we make E3 predictions? Those are always fun. I'll go the extra distance and do a timeline for the next game.

My prediction:

- PAX: Halo Fest happens. No new Halo game playable, but perhaps we'll get a second teaser trailer. Whatever happens, it'll be a kick-ass time.
- Holiday: The first of the new Karen Traviss books hits store shelves. Set after the events of "Halo 3" but before "Halo 4," the books will last up until next fall. This will do what the Bendis comics attempted to do.

My overall prediction: No "Halo: CE" remake from 343. If we do get one, it'll be from another company (Certain Affinity) or a small Microsoft branch (Microsoft Vancouver). "Halo 4" will release next year.

Late Fall 2013: David Ellis finally releases another Sparkast.
I kid, I kid. That stuff is hard to pull together when there isn't a lot you can talk about in public yet. :)

I could see your prediction happening, with maybe a huge DLC pack for Reach coming late this year and playable at HaloFest.
- We know they're not done with Reach, judging from Frank's enigmatic words.
- I'd be really surprised if something new for Halo wasn't playable at HaloFest.

Just speculating, I'm sure they've got something up their sleeves. Looking forward to E3 (but I'm really looking forward to HaloFest.)

Hitmonchan107 said:

My prediction:

- PAX: Halo Fest happens. New Halo game playable, it'll be a kick-ass time.

Fixed.

GhaleonEB said:
Halo remake with ODST-style map pack + complete MP suite attached, this time remake maps. Writing is pretty much on the wall.
For 343's sake, I hope it doesn't remake "Halo: CE." The magic of the first game is how well it controlled and the standard it set for console first-person shooters.

Remaking it will only remind me of how great it was 10 years ago, and how I can find the old game on store shelves for 1/6th of the price of a retail game (which a "CE" remake would most likely sell for).

"Reach" aside, the series has come a long way with balancing issues. To faithfully remake the first "Halo," the pistol will have to return. It's what the fans want. Doing that would mean releasing an unbalanced multiplayer sandbox that takes back 10 years of fine-tuning.

There are too many chances for the remake to fail -- not only by being too faithful, but by changing a few things that make the people who'd want to buy it mad.

343 would be better off doing one of two things:

1) Releasing HD versions of both "Halo: CE" and "Halo 2." Yes, 343 should add online multiplayer for "Halo: CE" for the nostalgic fans. By releasing an HD "Halo 2" with it, 343 would give those wanting a balanced Halo experience without bloom and armor abilities a fix sooner rather than later.

2) Taking a chance with a new game and leaving those old experiences in the past, untarnished.

wwm0nkey said:
Still think if there is a Halo CE remake Halo 2 XBLA should be packaged with it.
Absolutely. The "Halo HD Collection." It'd be a perfect way to celebrate 10 years of Halo.

But again, it'll have to be both or none at all for me.

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
For 343's sake, I hope it doesn't remake "Halo: CE." The magic of the first game is how well it controlled and the standard it set for console first-person shooters.

Remaking it will only remind me of how great it was 10 years ago, and how I can find the old game on store shelves for 1/6th of the price of a retail game (which a "CE" remake would most likely sell for).

"Reach" aside, the series has come a long way with balancing issues. To faithfully remake the first "Halo," the pistol will have to return. It's what the fans want. Doing that would mean releasing an unbalanced multiplayer sandbox that takes back 10 years of fine-tuning.
Why on earth would they release a new MP with it? I was saying an ODST-style campaign (complete with four player co-op) and all the trimmings (theater, etc.), coupled with Reach's MP suite and a set of new maps for Reach. This has been my hypothesis since shortly after the first rumor started. 343i is not going to introduce a new Halo MP game to the mix this early in Reach's life cycle.

To be clear, I'd rather they focus on Halo 4. Halo 1 had a lot of problems and things that should be updated for a new release (the predictable reinforcement spawn triggers, which were used because the active enemy count always kept low - but expanded dramatically in later games - for instance) and anything they touch will cause anguish. If they don't fix stuff, well, it hasn't aged that well in many regards. There are lots and LOTS of things visually and in terms of encounter design that don't hold up these days. (Library, anyone?)

Dani covered this well in his column, I think.

I'm still there day 1, of course.

(My Challenges article is delayed a day - I got stuck at work for over twelve hours, and then had to work more when I got home. No time for writing, alas.)

neoism

Hitmonchan107 said:

My prediction:

2 years is not long enough... :/ They waited 3 years between 2 and 3.

Poor Reach. :(

Edit: Just got what you said, Ghaleon. My bad. I don't think we were on the same page, lol. If they made an ODST-styled campaign, there's no way they'd add multiplayer to it.

I was arguing that making a "CE" remake would mean adding online multiplayer, because the fans, like Booshka, want it. That would mean a big decision by 343 to either balance the multiplayer or leave it untouched. Each decision would cause negative reactions. It's a battle it can't win.

Online multiplayer is what people wanted from the Games on Demand version of "Halo: CE" (well, that and achievements). In all likelihood, making a remake will make people upset.

I want 343 to come out guns blazing with a game that says, "This is why we're in charge of the Halo franchise." Coming out with a remake says, "We're still riding on Bungie's coattails."

But ultimately, what does it matter? I'll end up selling fluids to buy the damn thing, anyway.

Edit 2: I know Frankie is the master of double speak, but in this OXM UK interview, he said:

Q: We've seen the prequel leading up to the main Halo series in Reach, we've seen a side story in ODST, and we've seen Halo done in RTS style (Halo Wars). What's next for the series?

A: Nothing to announce right now, but I can tell you we're not working on any side stories as games at the moment. There'll certainly be more Halo fiction entering the universe, but we've no new games to announce right now.

neoism

I said it before... Halo 4 shouldn't even come out for 360. I really hope they wait for next gen.
HALO 4 Launch title. :O lol So no earlier than 2013 if the next xbox comes that early. This is just me hoping, but they're going to start CODing this series if they don't wait between releases.

Also 343 is making HALO 4 with Master Chief... it can't be anything else.

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
I want 343 to come out guns blazing with a game that says, "This is why we're in charge of the Halo franchise." Coming out with a remake says, "We're still riding on Bungie's coattails."

But ultimately, what does it matter? I'll end up selling fluids to buy the damn thing, anyway.

Edit 2: I know Frankie is the master of double speak, but in this OXM UK interview, he said:
Halo 1 isn't a side story. :p

We'll see. I'd like nothing more than for them to announce Halo 4, but I do not think they will do so this close to Reach. It will be a project that does not step on Reach's multiplayer. Doing so would send the worst possible signal to the community, that the life cycle of Halo's MP games will be truncated. Going from Frankie's other statements, I don't think that's what 343i has in mind for Halo.

So as I see it, they announce at E3:

A) No Halo games
B) A remake without MP, just the campaign, or
C) Halo 4

All signs point to A not happening, and I don't think C will either. Which is why I'm going with B. And as I said, they're not going to step on Reach's MP the year after it came out. They're still building on it.

Couple of things.

Why would a Halo CE remake include MP? Because it considered by a large number of people as the greatest console MP shooter, ever.

Hitmonchan, how is Halo CE multiplayer not balanced? It is balanced differently than a game like Reach where Bungie tried to make everything kill in the same amount of time regardless of the weapons style and ease of use. Halo CE is far from unbalanced, in fact some would consider the balance between the Pistol, Rockets, Sniper, and Shotgun to be about as perfect as it gets.

Personally, I don't really want a CE remake, because its not going to be the same, it just won't.

Still don't think that MS is concerned about "stepping on Reach's multiplayer" that much. They already got our money, and released 2 DLC packs. Releasing a 60 dollar game is probably going to make them more money than DLC 1+ years after release of Reach.

I do think that Ghaleon's idea of a campaign remake and new maps for Reach on a disc isn't far fetched. It certainly worked well for MS with ODST.

feel

neoism said:
2 years is not long enough... :/
200432v.jpg

Steelyuhas said:
Couple of things.

Why would a Halo CE remake include MP? Because it considered by a large number of people as the greatest console MP shooter, ever.

Hitmonchan, how is Halo CE multiplayer not balanced? It is balanced differently than a game like Reach where Bungie tried to make everything kill in the same amount of time regardless of the weapons style and ease of use. Halo CE is far from unbalanced, in fact some would consider the balance between the Pistol, Rockets, Sniper, and Shotgun to be about as perfect as it gets.

Personally, I don't really want a CE remake, because its not going to be the same, it just won't.

Still don't think that MS is concerned about "stepping on Reach's multiplayer" that much. They already got our money, and released 2 DLC packs. Releasing a 60 dollar game is probably going to make them more money than DLC 1+ years after release of Reach.

I do think that Ghaleon's idea of a campaign remake and new maps for Reach on a disc isn't far fetched. It certainly worked well for MS with ODST.

First of all, I think I finally understand what Ghal was getting at. I thought he was talking about a side-story like ODST. Geez, Josh.

Secondly, and this is just my opinion here, the overpowered Pistol killed Halo 1's multiplayer for me. It was a power weapon that shouldn't have been one. It needed to be toned down. It didn't have a weakness, which the other power weapons had.

But that's me.

Personally, I think a "Halo: CE" remake without XBL multiplayer support will flop in an age where first-person shooters are expected to have online multiplayer, remake or not. "Bioshock" is a rare exception, but the strength of its story carried it above the water.

Most people have played "CE." We know how the story goes.

But if Microsoft adds XBL support for campaign, I guess that'll be enough incentive to buy it all over again.

Booshka

Don't fuck with my Pistol, lol. I'll agree that the Pistol was overpowered, but it was a great utility weapon for everyone to use off spawn. It really gave you a fighters chance against the super powerful rockets and pretty powerful sniper. Sure the AR is hardly ever used, but the other weapons, Plasma Rifle, Shotgun, and the two power weapons (Rockets and Sniper) worked well together. Shotgun and Plasma Rifle are great for close range, and the Pistol is great for everything. These weapons need to be powerful when you think of how godly the Rockets are.

It may be frustrating for casual Halo 1 MP fans, but the Pistol's dominance really shines in high level play. It's probably the most skill based and rewarding weapon in all console shooters. Nades are also very powerful, especially frags, Plasma's are great for area denial and sticks. Now, with most of the weapons damage being toned down, the nades in subsequent Halo's are overpowered and frustrating.

Don't even get me started on Lunge, I will never understand why it was put into Halo. Gunplay should always be the #1 option in straight up fights, Assassinations are great and don't need lunge to work well. Lunge and beat down spam really cheapens Halo MP.

This is all in my opinion of course. I think Halo 1's MP is far superior to nearly every console shooter.

Hitmonchan107 said:
First of all, I think I finally understand what Ghal was getting at. I thought he was talking about a side-story like ODST. Geez, Josh.

Secondly, and this is just my opinion here, the overpowered Pistol killed Halo 1's multiplayer for me. It was a power weapon that shouldn't have been one. It needed to be toned down. It didn't have a weakness, which the other power weapons had.

But that's me.

Personally, I think a "Halo: CE" remake without XBL multiplayer support will flop in an age where first-person shooters are expected to have online multiplayer, remake or not. "Bioshock" is a rare exception, but the strength of its story carried it above the water.

Most people have played "CE." We know how the story goes.

But if Microsoft adds XBL support for campaign, I guess that'll be enough incentive to buy it all over again.

I do agree that games are absolutely expected to have online multiplayer (I LOVE Bioshock though).

If there is a Halo CE remake that is just the Campaign, without CE multiplayer or new Reach content, I might not buy it. I have already played the campaign many many times, and I still can by popping in the disc. I am sure that MS realizes this and if there is a CE remake it will either have CE multiplayer or a Reach disc with new maps similar to the H3 disc that came with ODST.

Booshka said:
Don't fuck with my Pistol, lol. I'll agree that the Pistol was overpowered, but it was a great utility weapon for everyone to use off spawn. It really gave you a fighters chance against the super powerful rockets and pretty powerful sniper. Sure the AR is hardly ever used, but the other weapons, Plasma Rifle, Shotgun, and the two power weapons (Rockets and Sniper) worked well together. Shotgun and Plasma Rifle are great for close range, and the Pistol is great for everything. These weapons need to be powerful when you think of how godly the Rockets are.

It may be frustrating for casual Halo 1 MP fans, but the Pistol's dominance really shines in high level play. It's probably the most skill based and rewarding weapon in all console shooters. Nades are also very powerful, especially frags, Plasma's are great for area denial and sticks. Now, with most of the weapons damage being toned down, the nades in subsequent Halo's are overpowered and frustrating.

Don't even get me started on Lunge, I will never understand why it was put into Halo. Gunplay should always be the #1 option in straight up fights, Assassinations are great and don't need lunge to work well. Lunge and beat down spam really cheapens Halo MP.

This is all in my opinion of course. I think Halo 1's MP is far superior to nearly every console shooter.

Agreed with everything you said. The AR in CE had a role, it was an effective cleanup weapon in close range. I much prefer that role than the primary weapon role that the AR has had in the previous couple of Halo games. Of course, the AR in the Reach beta was essentially the role it had in CE, but they had to change that of course.

You also give a good example of something that puzzles me that a lot of people say. You said the pistol is overpowered, and then discussed how well it worked in the game and with the other weapons. How is it overpowered then? How something is over or underpowered is all subjective to how it relates to he other weapons in the game. Yes, the Halo CE pistol kills very very fast (also the most difficult to use starting weapon in Halo by a country mile), but the power weapons are insanely powerful. If you put the Pistol in H3 or Reach, yes it would be wildly overpowered in relation the weapon sandboxes of those games, but in CE, I feel like its just about perfect.

Ramirez

Where does everyone get this notion of they don't want to step on Reach's toes when it comes to MP? Are the map packs selling that good? Defiant is lucky to crack 600 people usually when I'm on...

Oh and today's customs made it painfully obvious to me that the game has such a low count of maps that will work well for the tournament, kinda lowered my excitement for it. :(

My dream E3 announcement would be a CE/2 combo HD pack like the GoW titles on PS3, complete with online functionality.

I'm not sure how I feel about a Halo CE Remake.

I have the game, for PC and Xbox Originals. I've played it a lot. Love it to death.

If 343i and MS turned around to me and said they were releasing Halo CE, just as it was, but with achievements and online play, I would buy it. Purely for nostalgia. But I wouldn't be that excited.

But if it's a remake? All new graphical assets? New engine?

I don't know if that'd be a good thing. Would certainly be interesting, but would hardcore fans really like it? I'm not sure I could handle seeing something I loved so dearly have it's dodgy physics and walking-on-grease feel of movement taken away. We've played Halo CE. Let's move on to something new.

Trasher

No remakes please. Just give us something new and up to date for the times. Don't try to recreate old memories that were a result of their past era.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Nutter

Plywood said:
Stats are so bugged in this game, I've had a number of times where kills would be taken away from me in the Carnage Report even though I had more according to the Scoreboard all because the enemy team would quit before the game would finish.
Apparently destroying Vehicles sometimes counts as Kills and sometimes they do not. This bug is very obvious when playing BTB.

GhaleonEB said:
All signs point to A not happening, and I don't think C will either. Which is why I'm going with B. And as I said, they're not going to step on Reach's MP the year after it came out. They're still building on it.
I see your and Dani's logic in this, they do need to foster and keep Reach's MP alive.

I still think it's still absolutely ridiculous to have gone to the effort of a HD version and not make have the MP be XBL enabled. Such a waste. To the point of being a slap in the face.

Link me to this post when I reverse my stance after 343 talk about it at E3 or later.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Nutter said:
Apparently destroying Vehicles sometimes counts as Kills and sometimes they do not. This bug is very obvious when playing BTB.
Well I've had it happen in slayer playlist/gametypes though.

Tunavi

Banned
I forgot how much this game sucks with randoms. I played against a Bungie employee and I was the only one on my team to go positive (I wanted that Thank the Maker medal in my matchmaking stats). Then I had other teammates quitting out on my teams, I had kids betraying me, people complaining, just ugh.

Detox

Why do they need to keep Reach's MP alive? I would love a ODST style mini campaign or Halo CE remake + Reach MP with around 20 maps and no bloom (at least give us one slayer playlist without it and the option in custom games to turn it off).

Hitmonchan107 said:
Frankie said in an interview once that they would not outsource a project like that.

I wish I shared Ghal's (confidence? optimism?) about a Halo: CE remake. Normally I'd be the one like that, except I'd be much more excited with it, saying, "It's gonna happen you guys!"

Also, I'd love to see 343 make some changes to Halo 1's gameplay, most notably alter the Halo 1 pistol's damage and the AR's damage and add lunge, just to see the meltdowns on GAF. It will be glorious.

Karl2177

A27_StarWolf said:
What is wrong with routers? o_O
Not to doubt your networking skills, but unless you can find a Linksys or Belkin(some cheap home router) that has 8 ports, I doubt you'll be able to configure it correctly. Besides, if it is just a LAN you don't need to be routing packets outbound, and if you want to use it later just hook it into a router then.

Kuroyume

Banned
Dax01 said:
Also, I'd love to see 343 make some changes to Halo 1's gameplay, most notably alter the Halo 1 pistol's damage and the AR's damage and add lunge, just to see the meltdowns on GAF. It will be glorious.

Meltdowns? If info like that came out in the previews or reviews I would simply skip it. It wouldn't bother me one bit. I've already played the game.

wwm0nkey said:
Guys, there is now a Halo: Reach demo on XBL lol

We should download it and destroy the new players :)
Wait, what?

Demo includes "the epic “Long Night of Solace” mission from the single player campaign. The demo also includes the competitive multiplayer map “Powerhouse” and a cooperative Firefight mission for Xbox LIVE online play!" :lol

Kuroyume said:
Meltdowns? If info like that came out in the previews or reviews I would simply skip it. It wouldn't bother me one bit. I've already played the game.
Right, dude. Because I definitely said:
Also, I'd love to see 343 make some changes to Halo 1's gameplay, most notably alter the Halo 1 pistol's damage and the AR's damage and add lunge, just to see Kuroyume's meltdowns on GAF. It will be glorious.

Edit: There will be people who will be very vocal about their distaste for the changes. That's all I'm saying.

Top Bottom