• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

feel

neoism said:
wow do you dislike Reach that much... :(
Just the online versus. I find myself somewhat enjoying it, but then I pop in Halo 3 and remember what good Halo (to me) actually feels like and go through a Reach hate phase. Dice roll aiming (doesn't work at all on my southamerican 1.5Mb connection unless the host is great, 5 shot kill? More like 15 shots to get shield down, and the game has the nerve to communicate visually to me that the bullets are hitting), exhilarating parkour-esque freedom of movement heavily shat on in order to justify mindbogglingly stupid armor abilities (two thumbs up for ideas like armor lock, fly anywhere, camo all the time, sprint with a sword, below/above on radar, etc) awful playlist/maps management, awful vehicles, and much more. MLG/Classic solves some of those but then I'm still stuck playing with very little weapons (that except for one or two don't offer satisfying feedback when you pull their trigger) or on eye-stabbing lego block maps. Game seems like an outsourced job. I could go on and on, but most don't care, and people that actually know how to elaborate long eloquent opinions, like Ghal (beta), EazyB, Ram or Juices have pretty much nailed it already in the past.

edit-
Dammit, top of the youngster page.

Ramirez

Letters said:
Just the online versus. I find myself somewhat enjoying it, but then I pop in Halo 3 and remember what good Halo (to me) actually feels like and go through a Reach hate phase. Dice roll aiming (doesn't work at all on my southamerican 1.5Mb connection unless the host is great, 5 shot kill? More like 15 shots to get shield down, and the game has the nerve to communicate visually to me that the bullets are hitting), exhilarating parkour-esque freedom of movement heavily shat on in order to justify mindbogglingly stupid armor abilities (two thumbs up for ideas like armor lock, fly anywhere, camo all the time, sprint with a sword, below/above on radar, etc) awful playlist/maps management, awful vehicles, and much more. MLG/Classic solves some of those but then I'm still stuck playing with very little weapons (that except for one or two don't offer satisfying feedback when you pull their trigger) or on eye-stabbing lego block maps. Game seems like an outsourced job. I could go on and on, but most don't care, and people that actually know how to elaborate long eloquent opinions, like Ghal (beta), EazyB, Ram or Juices have pretty much nailed it already in the past.

edit-

Maybe it was actually made by FASA Studios.

neoism

Letters said:

edit-
Wonder way of describing one of the things I love most about this game... but yeah that's too bad, am basically the opposite.

GhaleonEB

I'm still stuck playing with very little weapons (that except for one or two don't offer satisfying feedback when you pull their trigger
Can't argue for most of your post, but this one surprised me. The weapon feedback in Reach feels really powerful to me, much more so than any other game in the series. It's one of the reasons I like Firefight so much, the gunplay is just fantastic. (In a context where bloom is not a factor. When it is....ug.)

Willeth

GhaleonEB said:
Yup, it's one of the quirks of the independant vehicle/player health systems. But there are some inconsistancies, though. At least, in Firefight.

I home in on Wraiths on Beachhead like a laser, and can take them down seconds after they land on either location. (Many games end up something like this, with 12 Wraith kills.)

Most of the time I hit the Wraith with an overcharge, board the back, plant a grenade, and hop off to watch it (or hear it, as I'm sprinting away) blow up. About half the time, it counts as a Double Kill, I assume as the Grunt gunner and Elite driver are killed together. About half the time it's a single kill. I can take two down down back to back, both with turret gunners in place, and have one be Double and one a single. I have no idea what causes the variability.
In ODST Firefight, killing a vehicle counts as an enemy kill. In Reach, it doesn't, except for the after-game tallies, when it does.

Anyone find it weird that there is a Halo Reach demo? It's the first Halo demo since Halo CE (or Halo Wars, doesn't count), and the first one to include MP.

I find it interesting that the demo that just released is basically the exact same stretch of gameplay that Bungie was demoing at last year's E3. And this year's E3 is in 2 weeks.

I know I posted this already, but just in general: I think it would be really neat for a game developer to post a demo for their old game containing a hidden easter egg or ARG hinting at the new game.

Valve sort of did that with Portal 1 for PC - they patched in new secret objectives, codes, and a new ending that all hinted at Portal 2. It even led to a short ARG outside of the game that revealed concept art for Atlas and P-body. Shortly later Portal 2 was announced.

I'll dig through the Reach demo tonight...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I'm kind of disappointed with the pre-announcement hype that Halo doesn't have anymore. I enjoy the marketing/hype that Halo has after an announcement is made, but before hand, there's no teasers or little snippets at what's to come anymore. :/

The last time I remember that happening was with the Keep it Clean posts from Bungie on their forums prior to ODST's announcement (I guess you could count Halo 3, too, with the '06 studio tour).

It's really a shame. :(

Tunavi

Banned
Oh by the way, that sword/hologram clip is not me, it was from Anoj's kills of the week (even though thats from last year lol)

I got the killing frenzy challenge during my first game of the day, I didn't even know it was a challenge yet. haha

Letters said:
I'm still stuck playing with very little weapons (that except for one or two don't offer satisfying feedback when you pull their trigger

I made a post about this a month or two ago, and I'm still wondering why I feel the same way.

I think my brain does a simple equation when determining the power of weapon:

Code:
(F + K) / A = P

(Firing rate + Time to Kill) / Accuracy = Perceived Level of Power

The higher the P value, the greater the perceived level of power for any given weapon.

Firing rate is not only how many times you press the trigger to make bullets come out, but how many bullets come out when you pull the trigger and how long you have to wait between firing to fire again.

Accuracy is on a scale from 1 to 100. If bullets hit exactly where the reticle is every time (like the pre-Reach sniper), the value of R is 1. If the reticle of the weapon covers the edges of the TV screen and bullets randomly land anywhere in that area, it's 100.

Time to Kill is on a case-by-case basis with each game, depending on player health, shields and other factors. A high score means a low time to kill.

Both F and K are from 0 to 50.

Despite the DMR's high time to kill score, the slow firing rate and relative inaccuracy with bloom makes the weapon feel weak.

The BR scores high in all three categories.

Or it could be that things that shoot fast seem powerful to me, and the BR shoots a nearly uninterrupted stream of bullets.

GhaleonEB

Willeth said:
In ODST Firefight, killing a vehicle counts as an enemy kill. In Reach, it doesn't, except for the after-game tallies, when it does.
Right, I understand that. What I mean is this:

The most frequent Wraith drop on Beachhead is down under the bridge by the beach. I have a method of taking those down the second they land, where I get under it, over charge the Wraith, and hop on the back to plant a grenade before it's moved, and with the gunner in place.

About half the time, I get a double kill, the other half, I don't.
Willeth said:
Oh, I know you knew, I was just putting something into the conversation :p
Well then! :)

I wonder if it's due to the type of grenade used - I just use what I have selected. I'll experiement. A plasma grenade stick kills an Elite, while a frag will just take down the vehicle - that might be it.

Willeth

GhaleonEB said:
Right, I understand that. What I mean is this:

The most frequent Wraith drop on Beachhead is down under the bridge by the beach. I have a method of taking those down the second they land, where I get under it, over charge the Wraith, and hop on the back to plant a grenade before it's moved, and with the gunner in place.

About half the time, I get a double kill, the other half, I don't.
Oh, I know you knew, I was just putting something into the conversation :p

Hey You said:
This is a dull time for Bungie and Halo fans alike :/

I'm guessing that's about to change. Really soon. (I disagree that it's dull anways, but whatever.)

Did we ever figure out why Urk was gone for two weeks? He wasn't on vacation - it was something for work, right? I feel like that could be a sign of some kind of news coming. Maybe he was giving secret demos for gaming news sites? (Although I'd find it hard to believe that wouldn't have been leaked.)

I'd be mildly suprised if we didn't get some new tidbits on the Bungie or Halo front in the next two weeks leading up to E3. Believe.

Steelyuhas said:
Halo? I would say probably. Bungie however, I think that is very doubtful.

True. Give Bungie another month. Say, oh I dunno, 07/07/11 (or 07/07/11 for you Europeans.)

ncsuDuncan said:
I'm guessing that's about to change. Really soon. (I disagree that it's dull anways, but whatever.)

Did we ever figure out why Urk was gone for two weeks? He wasn't on vacation - it was something for work, right? I feel like that could be a sign of some kind of news coming. Maybe he was giving secret demos for gaming news sites? (Although I'd find it hard to believe that wouldn't have been leaked.)

I'd be mildly suprised if we didn't get some new tidbits on the Bungie or Halo front in the next two weeks leading up to E3. Believe.

Halo? I would say probably. Bungie however, I think that is very doubtful.

Hey You

ncsuDuncan said:

Yeah, its weird how hes posting news to the Comm Chatter Tuesdays and Wednesdays then stops, repeat the week after.

GhaleonEB said:
Can't argue for most of your post, but this one surprised me. The weapon feedback in Reach feels really powerful to me, much more so than any other game in the series. It's one of the reasons I like Firefight so much, the gunplay is just fantastic. (In a context where bloom is not a factor. When it is....ug.)
Yeah, I really like the weapon feedback in Reach.

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
Yeah, its weird how hes posting news to the Comm Chatter Tuesdays and Wednesdays then stops, repeat the week after.
He's the new Brian. Before, there were always two folks supporting community communications and the press relations. It was Frankie and Brian, and then Luke and Brian, and then Urk and Brian. Now it's just Urk. I assume he's having to juggle until a new community liason comes in.

Crucio

Leviathan tweeted about this awesome Halo blog. Its called The Age of Gratitude.
Basically its a collection of memories from whomever wants to share about the past 10 years of Halo.
I know duncan, louis wu, ForteeTwo have posted there. http://ageofgratitude.wordpress.com/ Enjoy.

This is probably old news but I haven't seen a link on GAF about it.

About the E3 schism, I think there's gonna be a Halo announcement. I think its gonna be by CA and 343 for Halo Reach.
I hope for a Halo CE game made in Reach's engine, but I highly doubt that such a project is being made. Meh.

As for Bungie, they'll have something cooked up for 7/7/2011. Even!

Tunavi

Banned
Bread said:
Have you thought about going pro?
E3QgD.jpg

It'd been a while since I played some Reach, so I figured I'd relieve some of today's stress by shooting some Covenant footsoldiers. Apparently though, the game felt hurt for being neglected for so long, and decided to take revenge. (Rendered)

Feels bad man. :(

Probably won't be able to do the tryouts or the tourney, internet has been a little strange lately by just shutting down for a minute and then cutting back on, probably don't want to risk it. It doesn't happen often but who knows.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
urk said:
Lots of balls in my future.

Oh and you might enjoy this.

:)

-blam!- i -blam!- hate you bungie i WAS A -blam!- NOVA SUCK MA DICK
Banned for unknown reason
The Recent Cowardly Act of Bungie, the Thread Jeremiah Made is a JokeT
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Credit ban for no reason (REAL. Please investigate)
2 week ban and rank reset back to recruit?
I think my account rank just got hacked! WTF! I was a GENERAL GRADE 3!
NOOOO my rank wtf !
Ban and reset for no reason

delicious

GhaleonEB

urk said:

Today has been the single most stressful day at work in a good 2-3 years. Taking a quick GAF break and seeing this has brought me joy. Thank you for the joy.

Wish I could help you with your balls.

I just realized how much gaming news I pass up because it doesn't relate to Halo.

"Skylands," a new game from Hidden Path Entertainment ("Defense Grid: The Awakening")

I should start my own site. :lol

If you need help juggling balls, urk, I've been told my hands are gentle miracle workers.

urk said:

1246007745_michael_moonwalking.gif

I have a sudden urge to play FF Limited this fine evening.
There's got to be so many rank resets happening right now. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror.

Edit: \/\/\/ Oh snap!

Top Bottom