• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

So today I was on Spire in BTB we were winning when the rest of the red team dropped out. We had all our boys left and were ahead with 8 minutes left. Seems like we'd win by a large number...we didn't. Infact we lost miserably. 1 guy managed to take on our entire team and win. The final score was 30-24.

Crucio

AlmostMilk said:
Just completed the weekly challenge. Took 212 minutes. Way longer then it should have. I also had to do the last holdout by the pelican by myself because I managed to get though that hallway without dying and checkpointed out there. The two people I played with had to sit tight for 40 minutes as I killed the 3 waves of grunts and elites. In the end, it wasn't worth the credits.
Wow! Lots of time spent on that. LASO runs for me average 90-130 minutes. I would never attempt a LASO with more then 2 players including myself.
Actually I did it once on Sword Base and it was the worst experience ever.
To many variables to deal with.

Crucio said:
Side Note:Scheduled maintenance for Reach at around Midnight PDT
I know this was posted a little while back, but I just read the link and thought this was hilarious:

Urkles said:
If this is the last time we ever speak, we want you to know that we've always loved you, and that yes, it was us who left the seat up the night you fell in. We're sorry.

urktacular said:
If this is the last time we ever speak, we want you to know that we've always loved you, and that yes, it was us who left the seat up the night you fell in. We're sorry.

LOLOLOLOL

Holy shit, I just about had a freak out from this Weekly.

I was at the last room, clearing everyone out with the Pelican trick. I'm down to one last Elite and he's just being an evasive mother fucker up in the rafters. He's barely poking his head out every time and the Pelican turret just pushes him back into cover every time I fire. I hop out thinking he's the last one, Plasma Pistol and headshot him for the kill. But of course I forgot about the 4 fucking Elites of the apocalypse that show up right after. And I can't get back in the Pelican turret because it's destroyed. I almost just went "fuck this shit" right there. Thankfully, I was able to fall back into a hallway and assassinate each one when they were focused on Jorge. God damn Weekly done.

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
Rule to anybody who cares: Don't say entitled when you mean titled.

It might just be an AP style thing, but that annoys me to no end.
You are totally titled to your opinion
:p
EDIT: NO WAY I GOT BEATEN TO THAT JOKE

Ramirez

God, these LASO runs suck complete balls, each section is just cheesing the game some way, skip this area, hop into a pelican while everyone else hides, etc.

Anyways, how does something like AR starts on Highlands not get caught by someone before it hits matchmaking? I'm convinced someone is trolling the playlists.

Ramirez said:
God, these LASO runs suck complete balls, each section is just cheesing the game some way, skip this area, hop into a pelican while everyone else hides, etc.

Yeah I'm not really a huge fan of them because the only way to really play them is to cheese the level. It has kind of ruined some campaign levels for me knowing that there are often large sections/encounters of levels that I can just skip.

I guess its just not my style. I don't do these LASO runs because I like to play the mission straight up, and to do that on LASO is borderline impossible.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ramirez said:
Completely agree I think wasted like 3-4 hours doing it and now I read you could've used the Pelican Turret.

FFS, I DID THAT SHIT WITH MY BAREHANDS. Calculating and taking out every damn enemy one at a time and the Elite's being complete tools just sitting at there post or position, fuck them, fuck them to hell.

The payout was not worth it, but every time I pushed myself to a new section or checkpoint I told myself "I got this far, might as well keep going.

Plywood said:
Completely agree I think wasted like 3-4 hours doing it and now I read you could've used the Pelican Turret.

FFS, I DID THAT SHIT WITH MY BAREHANDS. Calculating and taking out every damn enemy one at a time and the Elite's being complete tools just sitting at there post or position, fuck them, fuck them to hell.

The payout was not worth it, but every time I pushed myself to a new section or checkpoint I told myself "I got this far, might as well keep going.
Like a boss. You up for some games right nao?

I'm interested to see what they come up with for Weekly's after they finish the LASO Campaign.

vhfive

Plywood said:

You're right the payout is not worth it. Which is why I stopped doing them after the first one
lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
vhfive said:
You're right the payout is not worth it. Which is why I stopped doing them after the first one
lol
I've only ever done three LASO runs, two co-op and this one solo.
Barrow Roll said:
Like a boss. You up for some games right nao?
Sorry bromango, burnt out for the day.

Nutter

Dani said:
The weekly this week is a push over if done in co-op. Can't believe how smoothly it went. Even the bridge was a breeze.
Everyone bailed after that and a couple of matchmaking games?

No one stuck around to help me sigh

Thermite

Ramirez said:
Anyways, how does something like AR starts on Highlands not get caught by someone before it hits matchmaking? I'm convinced someone is trolling the playlists.

lol this. The two games we played tonight on Highlands made pre-fix Highlands seem like a fun experience.. :/

I'm actually really enjoying these LASO runs which i'm suprised at because campaign related halo doesn't usually do it for me. Me and my best mate have been battling through them and there is a sense of triumph after a couple of hours slogging that is unique to these challenges and not present in mm. The credit payouts don't bother me - ranks feel utterly redundant after Genral anyway.

equil

Anyone else notice how all the amazing clips in montages are just using the sniper.
You never really see any amazing DMR clips the way we used to see BR clips.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
equil said:
Anyone else notice how all the amazing clips in montages are just using the sniper.
I have a few in my Weekly this week. But yea, it's mostly sniper kills :/

Karl2177

equil said:
*cue HaloGaf bitching about kill times*

thee henery said:
I'm actually really enjoying these LASO runs which i'm suprised at because campaign related halo doesn't usually do it for me. Me and my best mate have been battling through them and there is a sense of triumph after a couple of hours slogging that is unique to these challenges and not present in mm. The credit payouts don't bother me - ranks feel utterly redundant after Genral anyway.
I think the challenge payouts should somehow reflect what rank you are.

O D I N

Dax01 said:
We need some mancannons up in Highlands. Mhm.

Agree.

I finally got to play some games on Highlands last night.

Snipers dominate that map. Playing Snipers (gametype) is either a walk in the park or a pain in the ass (but that's a gametype, nothing to be done except dump it, but I'd just turn the appearance of it down).

I'm not sure where you'd move the Sniper spawns too, but moving Laser to Pelican, and maybe putting the Propipe(s) in the Sniper's Nest at each Spawn would be better. Maybe move the Sniper's to each East and West side of the walls.

I just woke up, I know I'm forgetting something. :-/ I'll get back to it later.

Also, I'm getting on now. Send "Big Boss 0DIN" a message if you wanna do the weekly, I'm game.

Crucio

Plywood said:

Honestly I could have done the same thing you did. Save Quit, Save Quit, Save Quit. Not too hard. I would have done that if I did it solo.

We chose to do it as a 2 man cell AND with Blind Skull on. LASO is not LASO without Blind.

I decided to use the Pelican turret, yeah, but it was still freaking hard enough trying to keep my buddy alive anyway. I killed but 7 Elites and some grunts with it to end the game. I do think using it on Solo would've been a bit of a cheap scape move.
We sure could've spent an extra hour trying to kill those last elites sure. If Bungie didn't intend for the turret to be used it wouldn't have been usable.

The only real difference in our methods was the time it took. 2 hours vs 4.

Go do it again WITH Blind on then tell me how crappy of a player I am.

On another note, Halo Faith will have European Warthogs.
Oops
Mikasangelos said:
I dont think thats tied into Halo Faith. Is it?
I thought they were one in the same. My bad. Har har. The point remains.

They go on to post this in the comments of the album: "Operation Chastity |We have completed filming of our teaser. We will no doubt make an announcement when casting begins for the feature. :)"

What do they mean by "Teaser"? Is it a short film? A teaser trailer? Why would they spend time filming a trailer without the feature cast in it? Wtf?

Miggytronz

Crucio said:
On another note, Halo Faith will have European Warthogs.

They go on to post this in the comments of the album: "Operation Chastity |We have completed filming of our teaser. We will no doubt make an announcement when casting begins for the feature. :)"

What do they mean by "Teaser"? Is it a short film? A teaser trailer? Why would they spend time filming a trailer without the feature cast in it? Wtf?

I dont think thats tied into Halo Faith. Is it?

Crucio said:

Teaser is to show they can do justice to the concept. Maybe to get funding, maybe just to get people amped. It's not like they've got a production company backing their work. They need to prove to everyone (including themselves, to some extent) that they can make something worth watching before they commit to doing something more arduous.

O D I N said:
Agree.

I finally got to play some games on Highlands last night.

Snipers dominate that map. Playing Snipers (gametype) is either a walk in the park or a pain in the ass (but that's a gametype, nothing to be done except dump it, but I'd just turn the appearance of it down).

I'm not sure where you'd move the Sniper spawns too, but moving Laser to Pelican, and maybe putting the Propipe(s) in the Sniper's Nest at each Spawn would be better. Maybe move the Sniper's to each East and West side of the walls.

I just woke up, I know I'm forgetting something. :-/ I'll get back to it later.

Also, I'm getting on now. Send "Big Boss 0DIN" a message if you wanna do the weekly, I'm game.
As soon as Reach loads up, I hop into Team Snipers.

And as of right now, Highlands is my favorite sniper map.

Open sight lines, plenty of cover -- when everybody has a sniper, it's damn near perfect.

If anything, the rate of appearance should be turned up.

Tashi0106 said:
I have a few in my Weekly this week. But yea, it's mostly sniper kills :/
Did you ever get the backflip-to-no-scope with the last bullet left?

ncsuDuncan said:
I really do love getting splatters. They're just so damn satisfying.

Triple Kill Splatter/Sunday Driver on Boneyard

Capture courtesy of Juices.

I love splatters with the Falon even more. You can easely get a triple kill on The Spire when the core lays at the bottom of it.
What I've always wanted to do is splatter someone with the rotators of the falcon. I did it in a Invasion game on Spire but it was the core carier.....
That didn't go to well

Crucio

oddworld18 said:
Teaser is to show they can do justice to the concept. Maybe to get funding, maybe just to get people amped. It's not like they've got a production company backing their work. They need to prove to everyone (including themselves, to some extent) that they can make something worth watching before they commit to doing something more arduous.
That makes sense, I guess I can't be judging independent movies with holywood stuff.

Miggytronz

OmAWN.jpg

Karl2177 said:
*cue HaloGaf bitching about kill times*
I'm ready! Without the use of power weapons, my k/d ratio is usually 1:1 or worse. Every encounter with another player brings my shields down, and at least one extra person from the opposing team always has time to show up and finish me off. And sometimes I don't even get the kill because people can sprint away like cowards. It's no wonder most montages consist of people using the sniper rifle. It kills fast, from short and far distances, and has a clip that's only slightly smaller than the pistol :p

Mikasangelos said:

Steve Downes in a fan film? Awesome.

Not to be a pessimist or anything, but I wonder if there's a certain point where Microsoft would feel threatened and step in. If the production values are high enough, people could mistake this fan film as Microsoft endorsed promotional material (a la Landfall).

Here's an extremely, ridiculous example, but what if the Halo: Faith guys had Downes record some Mel Gibson-level hate speech as dialogue for Master Chief? Would Microsoft not have the right to step in and stop them from damaging their franchise's good name?

Just some random thoughts, I know it's not going to go that far and the Halo: Faith people are respectful fans. I just wonder where the line is on these high-quality fan films.

Miggytronz

Tha Robbertster said:
Is it already known what Halo Faith is going to be about? I've done some quik research but I haven't found anything yet.

Nope. All we know is that there are Spartans, Marines, a Right hand drive Worthog and Steve Downes.

Machinima Respawn is going to start its live stream of Reach at 12 p.m. PST. I love Seananners.

Sunlight :: Halo: Reach Montage (All MLG, apparently. And I beat Bungie on this by 20 minutes.)

Halo: Reach Kai Series 2 action figures

Uh-oh, Tashi. Looks like you have some competition. Toastyame - Halo: Reach Weekendtage
Jetpack sniping in MLG?! So good.

This one takes the cake (if you can ignore the excessive sniping in the beginning). cLutch EH Halo Reach Minitage
Pro Pipe loving at :43.

Muggsy // Halo Reach M1. Beautiful editing, though I could've done without the pervasive Tungsten-colored filtering.

Crucio

ncsuDuncan said:

Not to be a pessimist or anything, but I wonder if there's a certain point where Microsoft would feel threatened and step in. If the production values are high enough, people could mistake this fan film as Microsoft endorsed promotional material (a la Landfall).

Here's an extremely, ridiculous example, but what if the Halo: Faith guys had Downes record some Mel Gibson-level hate speech as dialogue for Master Chief? Would Microsoft not have the right to step in and stop them from damaging their franchise's good name?

Just some random thoughts, I know it's not going to go that far and the Halo: Faith people are respectful fans. I just wonder where the line is on these high-quality fan films.
Thats some good thoughts. I think that perhaps they can do whatever they want with the film, but they can't make money with it? As in Profit.

Mikasangelos said:
Nope. All we know is that there are Spartans, Marines, a Right hand drive Worthog and Steve Downes.

A formula for awesomeness :D
I do hope the story will fit in the existing canon and that Bungie/343 will actually adopt it if it's any good.

But there is one thing we know and that is that Steve Downes plays a role, so we can conclude that Master Chief will play a role, which is always good.
Then if you say there is more than one spartans, maybe we'll see some missions from Spartan blue team.

O D I N

ncsuDuncan said:

In retrospect, even though Chicago doesn't get a lot of events here, we at least have Master Chief grace our ears every morning with great music. <3

Crucio said:
Thats some good thoughts. I think that perhaps they can do whatever they want with the film, but they can't make money with it? As in Profit.

Yeah, they definitely can't charge money for the film, that's a given. I was just saying that even if it's a free fan film, Microsoft may still feel threatened if they do undesireable things with the franchise characters.

It's a tangled web, balancing the goodwill that allowing fan films creates while protecting your IP from negative publicity due to unofficial content.

Crucio

ncsuDuncan said:
Yeah, they definitely can't charge money for the film, that's a given. I was just saying that even if it's a free fan film, Microsoft may still feel threatened if they do undesireable things with the franchise characters.

It's a tangled web, balancing the goodwill that allowing fan films creates while protecting your IP from negative publicity due to unofficial content.
It all depends whats written in the Copyright.

Top Bottom