• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Plywood said:
I haven't finished reading book 1 of the series(I intend to burn through them now because of a contest) and I haven't seen the latest episode yet. So I wasn't sure if you were.
Lord no, sorry. Just messing around, taking taking family names out of a hat.

Glas the tournament went well. Things an really go bad with these kind of tournaments but from what I understood, nearly everything went down without a hitch

Even if Gaf didnt win the tournament was amazing (semi's are pretty damn good), it was insane to see like an army of people on Halo, I even got in a few games with 343 which was cool. I really wish I was more of a part of it, watching various Schooly D/ Gaf/ HBO people play eachother on my active roster was making me jelous! (First time since launch my active roster has even been used!)

It would have been sweet to get a Bungie team (im shocked Bnet hasnt put news up about this), but was that Achronos guy from Master Theory the Bnet mod out of interest?

I might have to watch Tashi's stream, but its like 5 and a half hours long lol! Im going to try and watch that last match before im without internet for the next week though. :(

vhfive

I really sorry guys. It's obvious that you guys fell apart without my cheering from the side. I can't believe I didn't call out of work. You would have totally won if I was there. Again I'm real sorry I had to bail, as the OG super teamer I needed to be there and I wasn't. I feel terrible about this. I think I'll just drink myself silly later tonight and then attempt to play Halo (If anyone wants to join that would be cool).

:(

(Music to be played as you read this.).

vhfive said:
I really sorry guys. It's obvious that you guys fell apart without my cheering from the side. I can't believe I didn't call out of work. You would have totally won if I was there. Again I'm real sorry I had to bail, as the OG super teamer I needed to be there and I wasn't. I feel terrible about this. I think I'll just drink myself silly later tonight and then attempt to play Halo (If anyone wants to join that would be cool).

:(
LQg4V.png

"For us, the storm has passed. The [tournament] is over. But let us never forget those who journeyed into the howling dark and [came back defeated]. For their decision required courage beyond measure. Sacrifice, and unshakeable conviction that their fight, our fight, was elsewhere. As we start to rebuild, [this post] will remain barren. A memorial to heroes fallen. They ennobled all of us, and they shall not be forgotten."

xxjuicesxx said:
On a more serious note...

Would you guys consider yoinks ethical?
Absolutely yes.. Assassinations are the most inefficient and foolish thing to do during matchmaking. Purely aesthetic. Purely stupid. And about as much redeeming value as bloom.

I haven't complained about anything in a while, so I thought I'd go ahead and chime in.

equil

Deputy Moonman said:
Absolutely yes.. Assassinations are the most inefficient and foolish thing to do during matchmaking. Purely aesthetic. Purely stupid. And about as much redeeming value as bloom.

I haven't complained about anything in a while, so I thought I'd go ahead and chime in.

90% of the time I do them on accident and I dont appreciate the yoinks. lol

equil said:
90% of the time I do them on accident and I dont appreciate the yoinks. lol
Accidental assassinations are the worst. I'll never understand why the yoink medal is even in the game to be honest. It only encourages kill stealing. Now everyone is going to think that I go around purposely trying to steal kills. I really don't.

Crucio

I'm very impressed with the build up and the turnout of this tournament. Well done to both of you.
Its was unfortunate to see that GAF had lost, but having made it to the Semi finals is great, especially facing those crazy players. Good job Teams!

Good deal!

MrBig

Watching Wu's LAN party was awesome. I used to throw LAN parties back in 2001-4 for Halo 1, stringing together Xboxs and having people haul their unruly tube TVs to my house. Was fantastic fun and I miss those days

Was that Bungie's Camera and Sound crew that could be seen from the video posted on HBO? Maybe they're doing some sort of community tribute sendoff for before they announce their game in July.

kylej

Banned
downfall of HaloGAF was crappy Reach maps. Even Boardwalk and Tempest.... c'mon son.

H2 Midship and Headlong or H3 BRs Valhalla and Pit would've been a donging never before seen by man.

MrBig said:
Watching Wu's LAN party was awesome. I used to throw LAN parties back in 2001-4 for Halo 1, stringing together Xboxs and having people haul their unruly tube TVs to my house. Was fantastic fun and I miss those days

Was that Bungie's Camera and Sound crew that could be seen from the video posted on HBO? Maybe they're doing some sort of community tribute sendoff for before they announce their game in July.
yeah I saw that video, too. And I'm totally jealous. EuroHaloGAF should do a big LAN sometimes in the UK. I would come from germany for it.

xxjuicesxx said:

Always yoink (then get betrayed by the pissed teammate)

If i'd have known gamesager's crew were in the tourney i'd have told tashi to bring his lag switch...

Played them once in btb
quit hard
Seriously, i'd be embarressed to have that many banshee kills.

Crucio

MrBig said:

Yeah, that was a really cool documentary. Awesome stuff, I almost feel like those LANs, HBO, Wu and all of those guys have made Halo along side Bungie this whole time.

kylej said:
downfall of HaloGAF was crappy Reach maps. Even Boardwalk and Tempest.... c'mon son.

H2 Midship and Headlong or H3 BRs Valhalla and Pit would've been a donging never before seen by man.
I miss games like that, man.

I'm (pleasantly) surprised the tournament didn't totally fall apart at any point during the evening. Gives me hope for more tournaments like this in the future, it was a pretty fun time while it lasted.

Was really hoping for an AJ/GAF showdown though :)

Kuroyume

Banned
What is there to miss? Go play Halo 3 if you miss them. Can't do that with Halo 2... And for what? I thought they shut down the old xbox to give users cool new features and I don't see any of that anywhere. Did they even increase the size of the friends list?

TOM T 117

Neo Member
bobs99 ... said:
im shocked Bnet hasnt put news up about this
Community Carnage was from the bungie.net community. I suppose a news story could have been submitted, but it wasn't really necessary seeing as only 18 people could participate and we operated on a first come first serve basis. If there is a next time it might be a nice idea, it would have further raised awareness and I am sure there are a number of private groups on bungie.net that would have been interested (I noticed The Workplace signed up).

Having said this, an event of this scale was quite confusing to begin with; opening the Floodgates would have further complicated an already difficult process. It is certainly something to consider in the future, but there would need to be a clear point of contact for each community (so we needn't have bothered hitmon when trying to find out who we were against) and more specific rules including a timeframe in which people automatically forfeit if they fail to show/reach the necessary number of players.

Tunavi

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:

All day every day. I have 92 yoinks.

Kuroyume said:
What is there to miss? Go play Halo 3 if you miss them. Can't do that with Halo 2... And for what? I thought they shut down the old xbox to give users cool new features and I don't see any of that anywhere. Did they even increase the size of the friends list?
Yeah Microsoft can fuck off, they take away Halo 2 and give us Facebook and Twitter on the xbox, which are absolutely fucking pointless. What do they think they are fucking doing?

Hey You

Kuroyume said:
Nope they've been hinting at it for a while though. I don't know why its taking so long. Hopefully in the fall xbox update.

OT: I'm really enjoying the Defiant playlist lately, I like a "grab bag" type playlist with a variety of gametypes in it.

"Though six Halo ringworlds still remain largely intact, their current status and threat level is unknown."

Final sentence of the Halo Waypoint video on the Halo Array.

Just thought that was interesting. They definitely seem to be building up to an announcement with these weekly videos. Last week's "The Covenant" ended with "The current state of the species which once served the Covenant remains unknown" followed by the Half-Jaw/Arbiter scene of "I would like to see our own world..."

The week before that? A summary of Cortana, ending with: "Both the Master Chief and Cortana have now found themselves stranded in an unknown portion of the galaxy with no apparent way back home."

I don't think they're building up to a Halo: CE announcement. Feels more like Halo 4.

Unless E3 gives us a Halo: CE expansion using Reach's engine to come out in November while we also get a Halo 4 trailer with a release date in 2012 or 2013.

Dax01 said:
Duncan, I think you're reading too much into those comments. It's just the state of things Halo 3 left the universe.
It is really curious, that 343i is posting these videos. I think they plan sth. If it is for the E3 or not.

Tunavi said:
Yeah Microsoft can fuck off, they take away Halo 2 and give us Facebook and Twitter on the xbox, which are absolutely fucking pointless. What do they think they are fucking doing?

Being smart, Facebook and Twitter rule the world, haven't you heard?

ncsuDuncan said:
"Though six Halo ringworlds still remain largely intact, their current status and threat level is unknown."

Final sentence of the Halo Waypoint video on the Halo Array.

Just thought that was interesting. They definitely seem to be building up to an announcement with these weekly videos. Last week's "The Covenant" ended with "The current state of the species which once served the Covenant remains unknown" followed by the Half-Jaw/Arbiter scene of "I would like to see our own world..."

The week before that? A summary of Cortana, ending with: "Both the Master Chief and Cortana have now found themselves stranded in an unknown portion of the galaxy with no apparent way back home."

I don't think they're building up to a Halo: CE announcement. Feels more like Halo 4.

Unless E3 gives us a Halo: CE expansion using Reach's engine to come out in November while we also get a Halo 4 trailer with a release date in 2012 or 2013.

After all the rumors and talk, and us finally being a week away from E3, I think what I would like (that seems to make sense with the rumors we hear) is a Halo CE campaign remake in November, with a Reach multiplayer disc will all the DLC (new mutiplayer and firefight maps and hopefully a pack this summer for DLC that would be included on that along with Noble and Defiant of course). Then we get Halo 4 in 2013.

Ken

LMAO
Posted: 7 minutes ago by  Kays Addiction
Someone didn't tag their blog right. Guess who's NOT going to E3! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Not only do the thumbs mean absolutley nothing but so does this blog. Good show, chief.

=\

Someone's salty.

Ken

Ramirez said:
It was a contest thing a few weeks back involving Hitmonchan and a few people in this thread.

Was bored and remembered that the contest should be over by now, decided to check to see if a winner was announced, and found that salty gem of a comment.

Where does Halo: Reach store your campaign progress?

Because mine has been reset a second time and it really makes weekly challenges annoying when I have to start back at Winter Contingency.

Ken said:
It was a contest thing a few weeks back involving Hitmonchan and a few people in this thread.

Was bored and remembered that the contest should be over by now, decided to check to see if a winner was announced, and found that salty gem of a comment.
Please tell me she didn't win at least? Rude jealous cow.

ncsuDuncan said:
That line stuck out to me as well. Whats a Halo game (or extended universe) without more Halos? Yeah, I know, its still fucking awesome (ODST & Reach).

Just on a lark I ended up watching the Reach legendary commentary on Waypoint this morning, all two hours of it. And afterwards it just cemented Reach as a genre defining game. To get such fidelity and feedback (and butt shots) out of a game with the scale and tactical options as Reach is one hell of an achievement.

At the very end of the commentary, Marty pointed out somebody credited with voice or writing work for the terminals (don't remember) and said slyly "Hey, what Terminals?", With Leto backing him up with "I didn't see a single terminal in the game". Whats that all about?

zumphry

Banned
NullPointer said:
At the very end of the commentary, Marty pointed out somebody credited with voice or writing work for the terminals (don't remember) and said slyly "Hey, what Terminals?", With Leto backing him up with "I didn't see a single terminal in the game". Whats that all about?

I think they were alluding to/hinting at the data pads (being called terminals in the credits) being in the game since I don't recall them showing one in the commentary run.

NullPointer said:
The datapads.

Edit: Herpa derp, failed refresh the page.

ncsuDuncan said:
Where does Halo: Reach store your campaign progress?

Because mine has been reset a second time and it really makes weekly challenges annoying when I have to start back at Winter Contingency.

It has happened to me more times that I can count :/

Also that person who had a grudge against Hitmonchan seems to be a pretty unlikeable person, it was sad to see how many comments there were agreeing with her and hating on Halo. Anyone who goes out of there way to have a myspace/ geocities throwback page doesnt deserve that much respect in my opinion lol.

Community Carnage was from the bungie.net community. I suppose a news story could have been submitted, but it wasn't really necessary seeing as only 18 people could participate and we operated on a first come first serve basis. If there is a next time it might be a nice idea, it would have further raised awareness and I am sure there are a number of private groups on bungie.net that would have been interested (I noticed The Workplace signed up).

Having said this, an event of this scale was quite confusing to begin with; opening the Floodgates would have further complicated an already difficult process. It is certainly something to consider in the future, but there would need to be a clear point of contact for each community (so we needn't have bothered hitmon when trying to find out who we were against) and more specific rules including a timeframe in which people automatically forfeit if they fail to show/reach the necessary number of players.

I meant just in general, yesterday seemed almost like a celebration of Halo itself, im shocked Bungie wernt a bigger part of it (although Urk was missing when most of this stuff was going and he is the main community guy so im not suprised). Opening the floodgates to the general bnet population would have been a nightmare!

ZayneH said:
I think they were alluding to/hinting at the data pads (being called terminals in the credits) being in the game since I don't recall them showing one in the commentary run.
Zeouterlimits said:
Oh yeah. I completely forgot about those datapads. Thanks for the link - always meant to check out what were in those datapads some day. As opposed to the terminals in Halo 3 I couldn't actually be bothered to find them.

Top Bottom