• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Ken

Oozer3993 said:
Phantom Shottys on Chiron was the special sauce around my dorm hall freshman year. That and Rockets on Boarding Action.

Rockets on Prisoner was quite popular as the "fun, non-serious game" at the LAN parties I've been to.

Zee-V70 said:
Was I the only one who actually had fun on this map?

yes haha

Oozer3993 said:
Phantom Shottys on Chiron was the special sauce around my dorm hall freshman year. That and Rockets on Boarding Action.

I used to play shottys no shields on chill out all the time. So awesome and so rage inducing!

urk said:
Oddball Rockets on Prisoner. For 15 minutes.

*runs to the xbox*

Seriously though, used to play rockets and prisoner all the time, but never oddball.

Tunavi, I assume that was you with the thread on bnet about the Falcon on Unearthed, and I believe the bnet horde is right, Firefight maps cannot be edit or changed without being put up for redownload.

Oh just playing that on Legendary is worth 17K. That level pissed me off something fierce. Maybe if half the level can be skipped it might be worth it.

Striker

Look up some speedruns and take their shortcuts. The problem will be primarily the FRG Brute and those Elites in the last building.

As for Halo 1 memories. For silly craziness, we seemed to shift toward Rocket Oddball on Derelict, and for the fun stuff, CTF on Sidewinder with four consoles. :)

kylej

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Found this in the back of my panorama folder: apparently I'd never uploaded it before.

Bungie's skybox artists must be like, "Yo map designers, c'mon guys step your games up. We're sitting here making gold and you're spending 4 months on Spire."

Crucio

xxjuicesxx said:
Oh just playing that on Legendary is worth 17K. That level pissed me off something fierce. Maybe if half the level can be skipped it might be worth it.
You can make the brutes easier by taking the Wraith, You CAN skip the hunters and you CAN skip the last 5 Zealots.
This is gonna be fun! and painful! Argh!!

Jeremiah said:
New gametype options for June include:

Oddball
* Ball Reset Time

I hope this means MLG will have Oddball gametypes again. Hopefully on MLG Warlock.

I got 60 kills in a Team Classic game last night. I went + 53. The sad thing is that we barely won.

I think that's the most kills I've ever gotten in a 4v4. My teammate had 56 kills too. It was an intense game to the very end. They had 2 guests though so I guess it's not that impressive.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
I hope the cR payouts get a serious kick in the nuts after this LASO run. PoA LASO should be 20k+.
Yeah, I'm having the toughest time with this one out of them all.
I've had to restart twice and have spent about 2 hours on it.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
I hope the cR payouts get a serious kick in the nuts after this LASO run. PoA LASO should be 20k+.

Whats sucks is I think Bungie is basing credit payoffs based on average rank. I hope this is not the case. So many non-consistent reach players would be fucking everyone else over. I'm about to hit Field Marshall in the next couple days and I am NOT looking forward to the tiny credit payoffs and not seeing my bar move.

I don't play much firefight either, so MM is my main way of ranking up.

MrBig said:
Yeah, I'm having the toughest time with this one out of them all.
I've had to restart twice and have spent about 2 hours on it.
Think it would be better coop?

vhfive

The Real Napsta said:
I got 60 kills in a Team Classic game last night. I went + 53. The sad thing is that we barely won.
If you out slayed the other team by that much that means you definitely weren't playing the objective at all. In fact you were most likely purposefully staying out of the hill so you could boost your K/D against a couple of terrible players and their guests.
Congratulations you're an asshole.

I hear SFU are looking for new members you should try there

Louis Wu

vhfive said:
If you out slayed the other team by that much that means you definitely weren't playing the objective at all. In fact you were most likely purposefully staying out of the hill so you could boost your K/D against a couple of terrible players and their guests.
Congratulations you're an asshole.

I hear SFU are looking for new members you should try there
You should look at the stats for the game before you get all snarky like that. Their first-place Hill guy had more hill time than anyone on the other team, and went +22. Their second-place Hill guy beat 3 of the 4 players on the other team for hill time, and went +41. He, himself, had a respectable 31 seconds in the hill (lowest in the game, but still not by any stretch of the imagination hiding from the hill).

Sounds like the other team was just running into the hill with almost no regard for life - not a particularly useful technique if the other team is any good at all.

GhaleonEB

This is a bit early, but I'm going to be looking into hotel plans for PAX in the next week or so. If anyone wants to share a room to drop the cost of the trip, let me know.
Louis Wu said:
You should look at the stats for the game before you get all snarky like that. Their first-place Hill guy had more hill time than anyone on the other team, and went +22. Their second-place Hill guy beat 3 of the 4 players on the other team for hill time, and went +41. He, himself, had a respectable 31 seconds in the hill (lowest in the game, but still not by any stretch of the imagination hiding from the hill).

Sounds like the other team was just running into the hill with almost no regard for life - not a particularly useful technique if the other team is any good at all.
I initially had the same reaction as vh until I looked at the stats. They were a good team playing a very poor team. Typically a big k/d in KotH means you sat back and naded, but definitely not the case here.

Willeth

GhaleonEB said:
This is a bit early, but I'm going to be looking into hotel plans for PAX in the next week or so. If anyone wants to share a room to drop the cost of the trip, let me know.
Consider me. I have no idea if I'm going yet (I have the tickets but flights are out of my budget right now) but it would be nice if I had options once I can finally drop the cash on actually getting out there.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm kind of interested. But I'm going to stay a lot longer than the PAX.
Cause I want to enjoy Seattle

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
kylej said:
Bungie's skybox artists must be like, "Yo map designers, c'mon guys step your games up. We're sitting here making gold and you're spending 4 months on Spire."
Art and Design are like Hagler and Hearns.

vhfive

Louis Wu said:

LOL

All that means is that they only went into hill to stay ahead of the other team to ensure a win. I mean do you seriously believe that a team who went +134 could not get 200 sec of hill time in 12 min on that small fucking map. Jesus

NullPointer said:
Oh yeah. I completely forgot about those datapads. Thanks for the link - always meant to check out what were in those datapads some day. As opposed to the terminals in Halo 3 I couldn't actually be bothered to find them.

It annoys me that the writing in the terminals/Datapads is so many leaps and bounds better than the writing in the main game.

Random thought: In Halo 3, did it annoy anyone else that after
killing Truth, Gravemind pops in, drops some kickass lines ( my favorite in the games), waves his tentacles menacingly above the Chief and the Arbiter, and... quietly pulls back and lets his minions take care of it? It just feels like such an anti-climatic cocktease. They could have at least have made you dodge the insta-kill tentacles of death on the way out...

Striker

vhfive said:
LOL

All that means is that they only went into hill to stay ahead of the other team to ensure a win. I mean do you seriously believe that a team who went +134 could not get 200 sec of hill time in 12 min on that small fucking map. Jesus
Yep. When a team TRIES to win, it's over quickly. When a team tries to pad their K/D, and allow the other team to get some time in, it looks like that.

Here's my King game on Noble Creek for an example: http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=625999650&player=Striker029

Tawpgun

Thagomizer said:
It annoys me that the writing in the terminals/Datapads is so many leaps and bounds better than the writing in the main game.

Random thought: In Halo 3, did it annoy anyone else that after
killing Truth, Gravemind pops in, drops some kickass lines ( my favorite in the games), waves his tentacles menacingly above the Chief and the Arbiter, and... quietly pulls back and lets his minions take care of it? It just feels like such an anti-climatic cocktease. They could have at least have made you dodge the insta-kill tentacles of death on the way out...

Yup.

Fucking. There had to have been a planned boss fight there that got cut. Hell, what should have happened is after you kill GS, right before you activate Halo, Gravemind pops out from the control room.

Maybe Johnson dies in the gravemind fight. It would have been more badass a death that puny laser.

Some of the gameplay encounters on H3 were good, but the entire campaign just felt sort of bland to me. H1 made me feel like I was solving a mystery, it has a great sense of awe. H2 made me feel like I was accomplishing something for the story. Both from Chief and Arbiter's POV. H3 I was just grinding to get to the end.

ODST was fun for the way it was told. That's about it, but the end sequence put a goal behind all the action.

Reach, although dropping the ball on being REALLY tragic, still had a decent sense of tragedy. All about delaying the inevitable.

urk said:
Art and Design are like Hagler and Hearns.

*looks up names on Google*

*watches Round 1*

*microwaves popcorn while Round 2 loads*

My money is on Design. Design always wins, unless Art gets some early punches in. But then you end up with a pretty game with weak gameplay, like Crysis or something.

equil

Im a fan of "Halo" on facebook and they just posted this. lol

The Halo 4 details should be announced later this year. Looking forward to Halo 4?
203471_225464284145986_257181_n.jpg

Obviously fake but, thought it was funny.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Yup.

Fucking. There had to have been a planned boss fight there that got cut. Hell, what should have happened is after you kill GS, right before you activate Halo, Gravemind pops out from the control room.

Maybe Johnson dies in the gravemind fight. It would have been more badass a death that puny laser.

Some of the gameplay encounters on H3 were good, but the entire campaign just felt sort of bland to me. H1 made me feel like I was solving a mystery, it has a great sense of awe. H2 made me feel like I was accomplishing something for the story. Both from Chief and Arbiter's POV. H3 I was just grinding to get to the end.

ODST was fun for the way it was told. That's about it, but the end sequence put a goal behind all the action.

Reach, although dropping the ball on being REALLY tragic, still had a decent sense of tragedy. All about delaying the inevitable.

It makes sense that you wouldn't be able to kill the Gravemind in a bossfight-he's literally the size of a city, and with no organ structure like we know of- considering that he's literally created by assimilation, he probably has no organ structure and is literally unkillable unless you get him all in one go.

Still, however, how awesome would it have been to have had a segment where you are being chased by the Gravemind, and can only slow him down briefly at best and have to simply dodge at other times? It would have worked much better as a non-traditional boss battle than having Guilty Spark pull all sorts of death lasers and shockwave powers out of nowhere- were was this during the Library, when the Flood was overrunning one of the most important structures on your installation while you just hummed to yourself up at the ceiling, asshole?

Hell, it would have been a better way to do those Gravemind/Cortana moments, too- come into relatively wide, open room, have all the Flood forms retreat- BOOM, Gravemind tentacles, dodge while he expositions at you!

To be fair he had 60+ kills which makes it so the other team had about 180? seconds (60 kills x 3? seconds of respawn) of playtime they couldn't possibly have been in the hill. Plus with that many kills theres no way the other team ever had time to get a setup and any sort of map control, which can't be stat tracked but is ultimately just as objective as actually sitting in the hill...

The problem is Classic and a lot of objective gametypes sans MLG Flag doesn't have the right respawn rates. You can play a ball game or hill game on Warlock and respawn in 3 seconds, but then you can play a BTB game of CTF on Wayont and get killed and respawn in 3 seconds...that the other team spent 15 seconds trekking across getting kills, the players are back in their base waiting for them, then grab the flag that team will need to kill the opponents again and maybe a fourth time before capping the flag...This can lead to crazy standoffs where teams will pick shitty objective gametypes and tie even though they are a completely inferior team (This actually happened recently perhaps in a tournament but I won't point fingers)

On the opposite end of that you can have a game like 1 Flag on Epitaph from H3, where a single double kill can easily lead to a cap, and those games often end 2-2...Which sucks. You really have to get a tight balance which is hard and requires extensive playtesting and settings editing.

Hell I play Slayer Unlimited all the time but my team still wins crazy majority of the time...Once you stop slaying hard you get a weak link in your team for the other team to get some control...thats not how you ever play. Watching more than 15 minutes of MLG makes that completely apparent, a Rocket pickup and a few solid seconds of gameplay, can turn any Flag game around and fast.

What I'm saying is if you aren't pressing Back button in Objective looking at players down, you might not be playing objective as well as you can.

Schooly D said:
Is this where I'm supposed to go to challenge GAF to a clan match?

Yes, were supposed to play for 3rd?

Schooly D

xxjuicesxx said:
Yes, were supposed to play for 3rd?

Yep. Or, if you find the idea of playing for 3rd days after the tournament has ended to be a little silly, we could just make it an independent clan match and play with our own rules/terms.

MrBig

So the last part of PoA is impossible for me to do on my own. I've been trying off and on for the last hour and not advancing, because when I finally killed the FRG brute, more dropped in! It's going to need co-op with someone on the ground and someone on the gun to kill phantoms.

Schooly D said:
Yep. Or, if you find the idea of playing for 3rd days after the tournament has ended to be a little silly, we could just make it an independent clan match and play with our own rules/terms.

What kinda terms were you guys thinking?

I'd suggest 4v4's

Maybe some Magus/Sanc CTF split with a Slayer on Countdown in the middle? DMR's with limited loadouts?

Gaf I'd suggest Tashi, Ram, Nutter, Me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I didn't even want to play Halo at all after that tournament loss. I probably won't play until my new controller that I ordered comes in. :/

Schooly D

xxjuicesxx said:
What kinda terms were you guys thinking?

I'd suggest 4v4's

Maybe some Magus/Sanc CTF split with a Slayer on Countdown in the middle? DMR's with limited loadouts?

We're fine with 4v4. To be frank, I think 6v6 is your best chance of winning since our skill level drops off pretty quickly after 4.

For the games, why not make it best of 5? Not like we're under any time constraints. Our game picks would probably be Arena Slayer on Uncaged or Asylum, and Hemorrhage CTF (no tanks).

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Schooly D said:
We're fine with 4v4. To be frank, I think 6v6 is your best chance of winning since our skill level drops off pretty quickly after 4.

For the games, why not make it best of 5? Not like we're under any time constraints. Our game picks would probably be Arena Slayer on Uncaged or Asylum, and Hemorrhage CTF (no tanks).

Ultra MLG or bust.

NOKYARD

Striker said:
Look up some speedruns and take their shortcuts.
The 28:46 PoA SLASO run is uploading to YouTube. Should be ready by 3:00 PM EST. I will post a link here as soon as the HD version has finished processing.

I was just going by the theory that me Tashi Ram and Nutter can't possibly lose a game unless we play pro's.

Doesn't look like Tashi wants to play though...Might have to just let some others do it 6v6.

Top Bottom