• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Hey You

Re: CoD Subscription fees.

Hopefully we don't get such a thing in Halo. Bungie Pro was fine, but anything more than that I think would be too much.

I don't think Microsoft would do that, sometimes I'm glad MS owns Halo.

Ken

Bread said:
I might get on Reach soon, anyone down for some arena?
Half and hour late comment but are you still on? Been on my PSP most of the day so I wouldn't mind some Reach tonight.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I got the latest OXM in the mail and under the Crystal Ball section it says something along the lines of "On 11/15/11, play the Anniversary." (Anniversary was italicised in the magazine) I'm guessing the CE remake will be called 'Halo: Anniversary' or something.

Either way, I'm glad we don't have to wait much longer to put an end to this rumor in addition to seeing a potential Halo 4 announcement/teaser which will make E3 '11 for me. 7 days left. :)

E343 FTW!

Crucio

Next week is going to be freaking epic! I can feel it, I can see the hype particles in the air.

Not to mention X-Men:First Class will be out!

darthbob

Domino Theory said:
I got the latest OXM in the mail and under the Crystal Ball section it says something along the lines of "On 11/15/11, play the Anniversary." (Anniversary was italicised in the magazine) I'm guessing the CE remake will be called 'Halo: Anniversary' or something.

Either way, I'm glad we don't have to wait much longer to put an end to this rumor in addition to seeing a potential Halo 4 announcement/teaser which will make E3 '11 for me. 7 days left. :)

E343 FTW!

If it's anything like Perfect Dark, I'm excited.

Striker said:
People with mics seems to have dwindled on Halo 3/Reach as well. It's a complete opposite of what it seemed like in Halo 2, where even in unranked playlists players had mics. Maybe because they were cheaper then? I'm not sure.
It was just a more innocent time I guess.

Those were the glory days. Now XBL is divorced...twice...with 3 kids, working 3 jobs just to make ends meet. There's no time for idle chatter.

Tunavi

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
How do you know that?
I don't. Your "I don't feel like playing Halo because we lost the tourney" comment just bothered me a little bit. You guys played well and we all had a lot of fun rooting you guys on. Negative attitude would just be a buzzkill right now anyway.
Tashi0106 said:
edit: Ahhhh playing MLG now. Order is restored to the Universe
Good. :D
GAF should challenger Master Theory to a best of 3 match and stream it.

Chocopolka lets play some halo

If you guys have any moments you'd like to share (clips, screenshots, stories) from the tournament/custom games, PM them to me, please. :^)

If you send me clips or screenshots, please send me the file share link for them.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tunavi said:
I don't. Your "I don't feel like playing Halo because we lost the tourney" comment just bothered me a little bit. You guys played well and we all had a lot of fun rooting you guys on. Negative attitude would just be a buzzkill right now anyway.

Good. :D
GAF should challenger Master Theory to a best of 3 match and stream it.

That's natural though. I'm already pretty much over it lol. Now if I go to MLG Anaheim and lose in the first round. Then I'll really stop playing Halo lol

vhfive

Tashi0106 said:
That's natural though. I'm already pretty much over it lol. Now if I go to MLG Anaheim and lose in the first round. Then I'll really stop playing Halo lol
Are your teammates playing at Columbus?

Tashi

vhfive said:
Are your teammates playing at Columbus?

One of guys I usually play with isn't. I think we're going to go to Anaheim together though. We just have to get 2 other guys from there. I haven't played with my old teammates in a while.

edit: Damn, just got an Overkill but I had no ammo for the Killtac. He was right there!!

feel

Domino Theory said:

E343 FTW!
... episode of Halo Legends 2 completely free on the Xbox 360 Dashboard Halo Waypoint application.

Kibbles

Domino Theory said:

E343 FTW!
Fuck yes, HYPE! :D To get pumped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sALCVfWoyw

GhaleonEB

So I've been working on the most effecient ways to take down Wraiths on Beachhead. I had it down to a science for the two drop locations, and decided try and up the ante a bit on the one down by the bridge tonight.

It works out pretty well. Pulled it off four times in my last game; I think it will be my new routine. A nice high risk, high reward gambit.

My team mates were aces. One was betraying us wtih Ghosts, one started suiciding (twice in that video, but he drains the lives to zero from there) and one dies several times and then quits.

I was on vacation the past three days, good to see the Firefight Limited population continues to bring the amazing. :lol

PNut

Banned
Who thinks Armor Abilities will be in the next Halo game? Assuming we get Halo 4 and the continuation of Master Chief's story. I wonder how equipment/AA's will work. Surely he doesn't need things like Armor Lock , Jet Pack, or Evade to continue kicking ass. Could you imagine the Chief Armor Locking? That would be something. lol.

I liked the equipment setup in Halo 3 and I hope that's what we get.

343i has such a great opportunity to bring back classic Halo and I hope they don't screw it up and try and reinvent the wheel.

Bread

Banned
Sorry I had to go choco and tunavi, I wasn't even helping the team at that point. I'll be on tomorrow, send me an invite if you want to play.

Havok

PNut said:
Who thinks Armor Abilities will be in the next Halo game? Assuming we get Halo 4 and the continuation of Master Chief's story. I wonder how equipment/AA's will work. Surely he doesn't need things like Armor Lock , Jet Pack, or Evade to continue kicking ass. Could you imagine the Chief Armor Locking? That would be something. lol.

343i has such a great opportunity to bring back classic Halo and I hope they don't screw it up and try and reinvent the wheel.
I hope not, at least not without some serious retooling. The idea of equipment in Halo 3 was novel, but the execution was pretty bad on a lot of maps (see: Regenerators on Isolation, The Pit, and Blackout) and the more imaginative equipment had bugs that caused them to be removed. I like the idea of a Radar Jammer, but it wasn't really what it needed to be (plus the whole exploit thing). Gravity Lift: definitely underused, a much less annoying Jetpack. Bubble Shields, while maybe the least problematic of the bunch, created some balance issues with some of the weapons (Mauler, Shotguns, sword/hammer, spike grenades). Regenerator was garbage from a balance standpoint - in practice, a bubble shield that allowed the user to be offensive while invincible. Not a fan of the Power Drainer due to its insanely large area of effect and lack of a counter, but I see the purpose it served. On the whole, the equipment was usually less annoying than the majority of armor abilities, and it's something I think should be iterated on. However, I'm fine with a constant Sprint ability, for some reason. That's one place that I think Reach brought the series forward in. If I had my way, maybe keep that in and get rid of everything else. I dunno. It's definitely food for thought.

Booshka

Has every Halo title gotten slower and slower in the run/strafe speed? I think that is the main reason why Sprint feels refreshing in Reach, the base movement speed is ridiculously slow. I don't need Sprint, just up the base run/strafe speed to something that doesn't feel like a light jog.

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
Halo: Anniversary sounds more like a remaster collection or something rather than a remake of just Halo CE
Halo: Anniversary Edition

Original game updated, plus remakes of maps from throughout the series. (For Reach's MP, of course.)

Unrelated: three times tonight I got paired up with players on my Live Avoid list. I've long thought that mechanism didn't work, but the frequency with which it happens makes the case pretty convincingly.

Edit: Covenant Killed: 200,506

Yikes.
Striker said:
Does not compute.

Classic Halo would be pure overshield and camo on the map as power ups. The equipment faultered as much as certain AA's have. You don't need to keep slowing down the games. That's what things like Armor Lock, Regen Shield, and Bubble Shields have done.
Not everything slowed games down. Equipment like the trip mine and power drain were great, and AA's such as hologram and sprint also work fine. It's when you start dropping in things that extend lifespans or bring combat to a standstill that the game hits the skids (drop shield, armor lock).

And I'm guessing his "classic Halo" reference had more to do with gunplay and movement that equipment.

There are certain classes of AA's that need to go, but I don't object to them in concept. There just needs to be a distinction between pick ups (camo/overshield), one time-use items (power drain, trip mine) and persistent abilities (such as hologram). Reach tried to have AA's take the place of all three, and it doesn't work.

Trasher

Schooly D said:
I'm rendering it. This is useful to us.
You should make note of the exact times when Nutter and I stop moving because we are in our guides inviting Ram back to the game. It's a great time to launch a push on us.
el oh el...

I dunno about you Nutter, but I'm pretty sure I died twice while I was inviting Ram back lol. I specifically remember Tashi telling me there was some guy coming or whatever, and I was just like "well good luck man, I'm in the guide button menu." God we could have won that game.

Striker

PNut said:

Does not compute.

Classic Halo would be pure overshield and camo on the map as power ups. The equipment faultered as much as certain AA's have. You don't need to keep slowing down the games. That's what things like Armor Lock, Regen Shield, and Bubble Shields have done.

Kuroyume

Banned
Booshka said:
Has every Halo title gotten slower and slower in the run/strafe speed? I think that is the main reason why Sprint feels refreshing in Reach, the base movement speed is ridiculously slow. I don't need Sprint, just up the base run/strafe speed to something that doesn't feel like a light jog.

I think so... I can't recall if it's slower or faster from Halo to Halo 2 but every game after Halo 2 has been slower than the previous release. Amazing when you consider how much criticism Halo got back in the early days for being a slow FPS. It's a slow FPS and yet they kept making them slower and slower. Have to wonder how much more slower it would have gotten if Bungie were making more Halo games.

Striker

GhaleonEB said:
Not everything slowed games down. Equipment like the trip mine and power drain were great, and AA's such as hologram and sprint also work fine. It's when you start dropping in things that extend lifespans or bring combat to a standstill that the game hits the skids (drop shield, armor lock).

And I'm guessing his "classic Halo" reference had more to do with gunplay and movement that equipment.
Trip mine was near extinct for Halo 3 though. It wasn't the Halo 3 beta trip mine, and it was only active in a few maps, and even then it had minor activity. The Power Drainer, therefore, received a big bump in activity and was overused in many spots. It also had no business on non-vehicular maps in my view. It was a vehicle focused item and they jammed it in many places. Similar to the Armor Lock AA, actually - if used right, it's fine, but it isn't something that should be welcome all around.

Both the AA and equipment were spoken of being rare (equipment) or on a charged timer (AA). Neither came true. Equipment was a common theme for maps and there was little cooldown time than we basically were led to believe.

Me personally, I would ditch them all. Some have their own positives, but I think it's outweighed by the negatives. Either some of them were exploitable, didn't belong in MP, nerfed beyond belief, or had problems with latency so dropping them came problematic. A person and team is able to create intense, exciting moments without any piece of unique ability or item. Simply put: hitscan, proper melee system, Halo 2 vehicle health, etc.

"Classic" Halo in base movement, gunplay, and so forth can also vary in ways. Halo 1 and Halo 2 were fast paced games but were quite different in health and shooting mechanics. Halo 3 was similar to Halo 2, but quite different, notably slower base speed, and slower in kill times.

Kibbles

GhaleonEB said:
plus remakes of maps from throughout the series. (For Reach's MP, of course.)
That would be shitty. One of the big excitement in this is to get away from the style of play in Reach. Unless they add all the original weapons and settings (get rid of bloom, among others) somehow, I don't see it working out.

Which reminds me, I was playing Halo: CE the other day, the Plasma Rifle is soo good. I love how it stuns people, bring that bad boy back.

Plasmid

Played reach the last 2 days after a while of being away, got my Prosthetic arm <3.

I dunno how happy i am to be with reach though, handling me until gears 3.

I failed to mention this earlier, but the clips/screenshots/stories will be for my writeup of the Halo Community Tournament. It might take me a little while to write, because I'm desperately behind on my Fact Finding project, but hopefully I'll have it up this week.

:^)

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
fun fuckin games tonight lol. "IBECRIPPLINKIDS" <- "shit thats a little far." "Suck on my shotgun I want your sniper - skirmish can fuck me in the ass" hahaha good times

don't tell them what I said to that one kid

Nutter

Trasher said:
You should make note of the exact times when Nutter and I stop moving because we are in our guides inviting Ram back to the game. It's a great time to launch a push on us.
el oh el...

I dunno about you Nutter, but I'm pretty sure I died twice while I was inviting Ram back lol. I specifically remember Tashi telling me there was some guy coming or whatever, and I was just like "well good luck man, I'm in the guide button menu." God we could have won that game.
I will say this though, we had the pick, and we didn't even choose to be RED team in that game.. sigh..

Rockets are MUCH MUCH easier to obtain when RED team on Boardwalk.

Trasher

Nutter said:
I will say this though, we had the pick, and we didn't even choose to be RED team in that game.. sigh..

Rockets are MUCH MUCH easier to obtain when RED team on Boardwalk.
Only if we had rocket domination like we did in that other match on Boardwalk lol. You and I were cleaning them out.

Yeah, I hadn't even thought about our team color. Red team has quite the advantage at the start on that map: high ground and close rocket spawns.

Booshka

Kuroyume said:
I think so... I can't recall if it's slower or faster from Halo to Halo 2 but every game after Halo 2 has been slower than the previous release. Amazing when you consider how much criticism Halo got back in the early days for being a slow FPS. It's a slow FPS and yet they kept making them slower and slower. Have to wonder how much more slower it would have gotten if Bungie were making more Halo games.
I think H1 is the fastest, especially with strafing, a big part of what made Pistol duels so skill intensive. I miss that speed.

Booshka said:
I think H1 is the fastest, especially with strafing, a big part of what made Pistol duels so skill intensive. I miss that speed.

H1 was definitely the fastest game. Fastest kill times of the weapons, fastest movement speed, largest strafe, etc. It's faster paced in pretty much every way.

Booshka

Steelyuhas said:
H1 was definitely the fastest game. Fastest kill times of the weapons, fastest movement speed, largest strafe, etc. It's faster paced in pretty much every way.
Combine that with the design of the maps, and it really is the best mix of console FPS and Quake style FPS combat. I love that style.

I hated the Halo 1 pistol for a variety of reasons, but I don't feel like getting into that argument.

The thing that I miss is the strafing. You can barely strafe at all in Reach; it feels like you are moving though molasses.

Also, the Beta tripmine was awesome, because 1.) you could actually kill people with it, as opposed to this whimpy little popcap in the final game, and 2.) it STUCK TO VEHICLES. Why this was taken out I have no idea; it was sooo much fun to tag a Warthog and have it blow up out of nowhere 20 seconds later.

Tashi

Trasher said:
el oh el...

:lol

I was in the guide too but some guy was nice enough not to kill me. You can see in the video I was real paranoid after that, I was looking for him everywhere. Lol

Super Team could have been a good idea but it was badly executed, it was just Omlet replaced for Tashi on a 6 player team. Really the team that just lost you're going to change ~15% of the team and expect a win? It was really convenient because Tashi was streaming so we got to watch the final match, but essentially what the idea of Super Team was saying was the skill difference between Tashi and Omlet is enough that we can now win against a team that just beat us.

Sucks, cause the last 3 games I was heating up real good my DMR was very much on at the time and then I had to sit idly by while we lost...Shit SUCKED. Really the only game I did bad in was that first Zealot game, I was actually just a bit nervous and I still put out plenty of damage, Theres this play I make four players no shields and two different players come in from our team and get doubles and I think I'm awarded only 2 assists...you really gotta watch the gameplay to see how a player helps out sometimes.

I'm not going to say I'm better than players on Team 1 but at the time of the tournament I was actually playing at a pretty good level for me. We probably should have discussed these things during instead of having a preset plan.

Also Team 1 would have won that Boardwalk game if Ram wasn't disconnecting. Those MT guys weren't THAT GOOD, not on our level at least. Definitely, shitty timing, Sorry guys.

You know, it's kind of sad that, while cities 500 years into the future look pretty as hell, there's an obscene amount of smog covering almost everything. New Alexandria puts Bejing to shame. :lol

And fire safety's not exactly one of the city's strong points.

Working for ONI is nice, though. You get to see some awesome stuff.

And even some fresh air.

Tashi

xxjuicesxx said:
Super Team could have been a good idea but it was badly executed, it was just Omlet replaced for Tashi on a 6 player team. Really the team that just lost you're going to change ~15% of the team and expect a win? It was really convenient because Tashi was streaming so we got to watch the final match, but essentially what the idea of Super Team was saying was the skill difference between Tashi and Omlet is enough that we can now win against a team that just beat us.

Sucks, cause the last 3 games I was heating up real good my DMR was very much on at the time and then I had to sit idly by while we lost...Shit SUCKED. Really the only game I did bad in was that first Zealot game, I was actually just a bit nervous and I still put out plenty of damage, Theres this play I make four players no shields and two different players come in from our team and get doubles and I think I'm awarded only 2 assists...you really gotta watch the gameplay to see how a player helps out sometimes.

I'm not going to say I'm better than players on Team 1 but at the time of the tournament I was actually playing at a pretty good level for me. We probably should have discussed these things during instead of having a preset plan.

Also Team 1 would have won that Boardwalk game if Ram wasn't disconnecting. Those MT guys weren't THAT GOOD, not on our level at least. Definitely, shitty timing, Sorry guys.
Who would you have replaced? When I made the teams I felt like I made the best team.

Although Ram did well that final game, his absence put us in a hole we couldn't climb out of in time.

Louis Wu

Hitmonchan107 said:
No thanks to Wu. :^)
FULL thanks to Wu, you mean. :)

(After you and Tunavi left, Trueskill looked at our party and said "okay ,we got THESE four guys, and THAT guy - average skill is way down here."

So we got matched up against people at roughly our level. (As you can see by the fact that most of us went about even.)

In that pool, Tawp was a SHARK. :)

Although the first few games i played with you (when Hellmitre was still there) were fun, and we won, they were fun because you guys were fun, not because I was actually doing anything useful for the team. My goal, when in a group that outclasses me that much, is to not suck so much that my total deaths exceed the total kills of everyone else.

In a couple of those games, I just BARELY succeeded. :)

A27 Tawpgun said:
Anyway, could anyone render this? It's bullshit that I have render minutes but can't use them because Bungie Pro ran out.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=18239282&player=Tawpgun

It's the sticky from the games me, Tunavi, Hitmonchan and Wu played.
Rendered.

Top Bottom