• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

GhaleonEB said:
This is a bit early, but I'm going to be looking into hotel plans for PAX in the next week or so. If anyone wants to share a room to drop the cost of the trip, let me know.
Let me know what prices you find.

vhfive said:
If you out slayed the other team by that much that means you definitely weren't playing the objective at all. In fact you were most likely purposefully staying out of the hill so you could boost your K/D against a couple of terrible players and their guests.
Congratulations you're an asshole.

I hear SFU are looking for new members you should try there

I had hill time lulz. They just constantly charged the hill at all times with ARs blazing.

Louis Wu said:
Sounds like the other team was just running into the hill with almost no regard for life - not a particularly useful technique if the other team is any good at all.

That's exactly what happened.

Tawpgun

SO FUCKING MAD RIGHT NOW.

Playing Arena alone because its the last day of the season so why not.

First game is on Asylum. We're winning, not much, but clearly outplaying them. Or rather I'm carrying a generous amount while my team is doing a great job at not sucking too bad.

Then blackscreen.

All 3 of my guys quit and 2 of theirs. It's a 2 on 1 on Asylum. See, in H3 I would have been fine with it. But in Reach 2 on 1's are fucking impossible against competent people. They just controlled sniper and I was forced to go all guerilla on them to limited success.

Tawpgun

Game 3 is great success. Got 2 people with mics who knew what they were doing.

Amazing the difference communication can give you. Pleae Halo 4, if you bring back ranked/Arena/whatever, make a search priority people with mics or ban party chat/require mics or SOMETHING.

As awesome as party chat is, I miss the conversations with strangers in gamechat. Ever since Party Chat games have been silent...

Bread

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
As awesome as party chat is, I miss the conversations with strangers in gamechat. Ever since Party Chat games have been silent...
I've been saying it for years, party chat ruined the charm of XBL. I remember the golden days XBL playing Halo 2/3 and CoD2/4 where everyone would talk, and it would be rare to play with people who didn't have mics. It was upsetting to see the backlash Infinity Ward received after making some of the MW2 gametypes not allow party chat, I thought that was a good idea.

Tawpgun

And another mic'd party for the win.

Got in top 85% Gold. Not bad for the amount of effort I put into it.

Bread said:
I've been saying it for years, party chat ruined the charm of XBL. I remember the golden days XBL playing Halo 2/3 and CoD2/4 where everyone would talk, and it would be rare to play with people who didn't have mics. It was upsetting to see the backlash Infinity Ward received after making some of the MW2 gametypes not allow party chat, I thought that was a good idea.

Yeah, well in MW2 is was stupid since there was no ranked or anything. No MLG playlist, nothing. Only place it makes sense is Search and Destroy.

In such a team oriented game like Halo they need to have the ranked playlists ban party chat.

But then I hear people saying that no one wants to hear annoying trash talking in the lobbies/games.

First of all: Mute them.

Second of all: Does everyone really REALLY hate this? I always enjoyed the trashtalk in the lobbies. I found it funny. I dunno. Pre-Party Chat XBL was a lot more fun.

Bread said:
Here here. Party chat ruined Gears of War big time. Gone is the game of cat and mouse for the last remaining person in a round, you just have every dead member on your team using the death cam to scope him out. People cry about how they want to chat with their friends playing other games but care very little about how detrimental their lack of participation is to their teammates in whatever game they're playing.

NOKYARD

NOKYARD said:
The 28:46 PoA SLASO run is uploading to YouTube. Should be ready by 3:00 PM EST. I will post a link here as soon as the HD version has finished processing.
Run is up, with lot's of good shortcuts.

I think RC's writeup may be longer than the actual Speed Run.

Tawpgun

Fuck me.

First time I managed to have the hunters not load, but the enemies loaded in the factory and I got raped by a sword elite I never saw.

So now when I tried again, not only did the hunters and skirmishers load, but the elites are chasing :(

Crucio

Challenge complete!
2 Player Co-Op, Pillar of Autumn LASO With Blind.

Here's how it went down:

This game started with the best of times. My co-op buddy decided he'd try to assassinate the Elite standing by the cliff side. On a whim he jumps and he gets it! First try! It ends up being a weird melee kick. We were both pleasantly surprised!
After that we went under the bridge, killed most jackals and grunts on the way, avoiding the other Elite. Picked up rockets and DMR and on we went to the Brute and Wraith encounter! No-Deaths at all during that first try!

My goal in this part of the mission was to commandeer the Wraith tank. One Rocket to the methane tank on the left, one rocket on the floating tower and a few shots for jackals that survive. I DMRed the Brute in the Wraith turret while my friend used Holograms to distract the rest of the troops. A few deaths attempting this but it was successful.

The Drones and Skirmishers weren't much of a big deal.

This next "Boneyard" encounter was done with a mutual decision to skip the Elites. We killed all Kig-Yar, then I made our way toward the broken ship on the left side of the map. Up the stairs and toward to bridge/conveyer belt in the middle of the map. I had to kill some of the Grunts on the left. I made my way into the left most entrance of the building, then ran straight into the door in the back, the Elites don't follow and all allies get spawned into the hallway. A few deaths there but easy.

The Ultras and Hunters encounters were bit hurtful. We always kill off the Jackals before starting a fight with Elites. With the help of the hologram and the marines we managed to assassinate all three Elites. At one point one Hunter knocked his bro like 10 feet away! Screenshot.
Getting passed the Hunters was a little difficult, at one point I actually decided to try and kill them. So we killed the Skirmishers, then I used the Hologram and Emile to distract the Hunters. Here's the trick, break the window beside the door to the next part, you can jump right through it with some crouch jumping. Having a Drop Shield helps in this situation.
Once inside I let the sword guy attack the Marines and take him out. There are some DMR in the corner of this room if needed. Otherwise this is a pretty easy encounter.

The Brutes were actually the hardest part of it all. I used most of the Grenade Launcher to kill the waves of Jackals and Grunts, before they could spread out.
I actually had some Concussion rifle with me because I wanted to attempt to get up into the Mass Driver before any more drops came down.
Here's what I was trying: "Skip to Mass Driver". After a few attempts I was unsuccessful, that's where our 9 penalties came from.

So we decided to take em all on, with the help of the secret ammo cache and some rockets. I saved the sniper for the Brute captains, worked well. Our main strategy was to kill the minors and captains before taking care of the last Heroes. Took a while but we got it done.

The last Elite Zealots, were actually a breeze. We went for assassinations. I used holograms, and we killed two of the Elites inside the ammo crate room. With each Elite killed we would back off and wait for a checkpoint. I estimate about 1-2 minutes does the trick, because with Blind you can't see when it pops up.
Anyway, the FRG Field Marshall Elite was the third to fall, he actually ended up falling to the first level and we went into a melee craze, I called for my friend and we got him! Luck!
After a checkpoint we eventually killed the last Zealot.

The Mass Driver part was funny. We decided to use a tactic of waiting outside of the gun for the Cruiser to come into position. My friend decided to kill the Phantom's turrets with the Spartan Lasers, it worked wonders. There were at least 7 Phantoms staring us down when I took the Cruiser down. It takes two shots to finish it.

It was a grueling adventure! Also very pleasant, it was such a smooth run, I was expecting it to be 3 times as hard.
I appreciate the fact that Bungie gave us L.D. Pillar to chew on(twice) and get the hang of the difficulty of the mission's enemies with Mythic skulls on.

LASO with Blind on Halo Reach Complete!
Now maybe we'll get some intense, impossible task in Lone Wolf LASO? Oh gawd!

Ramirez said:
Why even bother with something so frustrating when you could play like 5 games of MM and get more credits?

A good feeling for copleting the whole campaign on LASO? I, and I think a lot of other people, would have never touched these settings without these challanges. And it is quite fun to do with friends if it doesn't go to bad.

The credits are a bonus for me. I enjoy playing the campaign, even more with friends, even if they only do it for the credits.

Striker

Bread said:
The party-chat less years of Halo 3 last what, a year? I agree about it almost ruining FPS like Halo, CoD, and Battlefield. But it is great for cross gaming chat, and it seems to have a better audio codec than those games. I have my pros and cons.

People with mics seems to have dwindled on Halo 3/Reach as well. It's a complete opposite of what it seemed like in Halo 2, where even in unranked playlists players had mics. Maybe because they were cheaper then? I'm not sure.

clav

Ramirez said:
lol, some people actually enjoy Arena rule sets AND Uncaged? oh brother
Uncaged is almost impossible to play on when your entire team leaves.

It's happened to me many times.

MrBig

Striker said:
People with mics seems to have dwindled on Halo 3/Reach as well. It's a complete opposite of what it seemed like in Halo 2, where even in unranked playlists players had mics. Maybe because they were cheaper then? I'm not sure.
Yes, I built an amazingly fun friends list just from playing mm in halo 2, when I was only a member of PC gaming communities. I never met anyone in matchmaking in Reach that I have sent a FR to.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The Real Napsta said:
I love Sennheisers. You have an astro mixamp right?

I love them too. I have the HD 555's right now and I've heard such amazing things about the PC 350's. I don't have an Astro Mixamp yet. That's next. I might order it this coming weekend.

Thermite

Tashi0106 said:
I love them too. I have the HD 555's right now and I've heard such amazing things about the PC 350's. I don't have an Astro Mixamp yet. That's next. I might order it this coming weekend.

I have the HD 555s, as well. LOVE those headphones - picks up everything so clearly.

Tashi0106 said:

Yeah, you definitely should. PC 350s + Astro mixamp = amazing.

Kuroyume

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
But then I hear people saying that no one wants to hear annoying trash talking in the lobbies/games.

First of all: Mute them.

Second of all: Does everyone really REALLY hate this? I always enjoyed the trashtalk in the lobbies. I found it funny. I dunno. Pre-Party Chat XBL was a lot more fun.

Yes.

Back in the days of the old XBOX the community was much more enjoyable and funnier. So many games of Halo 2 where I was laughing and crying because of the stupid shit people would say in that game. Such a contrast compared to the 360 where everyone is obnoxious and/or boring. People talking about their lives on there in a casual conversation as if the people on the other team give a shit. Then you have the assholes who just talk shit and not in an amusing or friendly way. I muted everyone a few months after Reach and I haven't missed people talking at all.

Is Halo a team game? Probably, but every single game I've played in Reach has been with randoms so far and it has gone fine for the most part.

Tunavi

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
I didn't even want to play Halo at all after that tournament loss. I probably won't play until my new controller that I ordered comes in. :/
lol even if you won you would have lost to gamesager's squad

Luken

Hello everyone, I need help with some questions:
Xbox slim 4gig full game on a KingSton 8gig pendrive and other questions

I bought a new Xbox slim with 4gig this week, but I'm having problems. Don't know if I should made a new thread for this, don't ban me, confused.

I really I want to play Halo Reach multiplayer. Can you gaffers read my questions in the link above and give me some anwers as well.

300511-1943001.jpg

Please help, thanks.

Hey You

Luken said:
Hello everyone, I need help with some questions:
Xbox slim 4gig full game on a KingSton 8gig pendrive and other questions

I bought a new Xbox slim with 4gig this week, but I'm having problems. Don't know if I should made a new thread for this, don't ban me, confused.

I really I want to play Halo Reach multiplayer. Can you gaffers read my questions in the link above and give me some anwers as well.

Please help, thanks.
Yes, you should be able to download Halo Reach to your stick drive, I've done it with GTA IV,Alan Wake and Saints Row.

Yes, you can re-download Halo Reach and anything from your download History under Account Management (on your 360) at anytime while connected to XBL.

Yep, Gold or Silver you'll be able to play Halo Reach (Gold Membership required to play in matchmaking).

I'm pretty sure all games on the dashboard say there isn't Co-op or multiplayer, but yes you will get everything in Halo Reach from the digital download.

Luken

Hey You said:
Yes, you should be able to download Halo Reach to your stick drive, I've done it with GTA IV,Alan Wake and Saints Row.

Yes, you can re-download Halo Reach and anything from your download History under Account Management (on your 360) at anytime while connected to XBL.

Yep, Gold or Silver you'll be able to play Halo Reach (Gold Membership required to play in matchmaking).

I'm pretty sure all games on the dashboard say there isn't Co-op or multiplayer, but yes you will get everything in Halo Reach from the digital download.

Thank you !!!! :)

Going to to download the game now on my pendrive. See you guys in a few moments.

My gamertag: LukenCortez51

I want to play with you guys. Add me as your friend, please. See you soon on HALO Reach. :D

Nutter

Tashi0106 said:
I just ordered the Sennheiser PC 350's.
How are these compared to the Astro A40 Headset?

My Headset started to output crackling sounds, so im looking for a new replacement.

And are the PC350 the best ones? compared to 360?

NOKYARD

Tashi0106 said:
How do you know that?
You twice tied a bunch of speedrunning scrubs who had never played together before that night. And i wasn't the worst player on the team.

You should have DESTROYED us in 2 games straight regardless of the selected variant.

If you ever do play them make sure there are no Banshees on the map.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
NOKYARD said:
You twice tied a bunch of speedrunning scrubs who had never played together before that night. And i wasn't the worst player on the team.

You should have DESTROYED us in 2 games straight regardless of the selected variant.

lol

Tashi

NOKYARD said:

Well that was team 2. We're a bunch of good players but Super Team is much better. Team 1 was much better as well. We outslayed you guys in both of those tied games and I think the lack of experience on the map caused the tie. At least for me I know it did. Also, AR starts. I don't knock you for picking those bullshit gametypes, they gave you the best chance.

Are these guys legit good players or are they just good cheesers?

Schooly D

Tashi0106 said:
Are these guys legit good players or are they just good cheesers?

They cheese to get their stupendous stats. But even without cheese they're very good. They're better than us and they're better than everyone else in the tournament.

Tashi

Schooly D said:
They cheese to get their stupendous stats. But even without cheese they're very good. They're better than us and they're better than everyone else in the tournament.

I've got to play against for myself in some real gametypes before I can declare that.

Damn, this just makes me want to play Halo right now LOL.

Tashi

Nutter said:
How are these compared to the Astro A40 Headset?

My Headset started to output crackling sounds, so im looking for a new replacement.

And are the PC350 the best ones? compared to 360?

I've heard a fair amount of people claim them to be better than the A40's. That's part of the reason why I'm going with them. I'm also partial to Sennheiser products lol.

The 360's are the latest pair, I'd imagine that they're better than the 350's. 70$ better? I'm not sure. The 350's are over a year old as well. If not 2 years. They should come in next week, I can give a nice full review then. I've never used A40's so I can't compare the two though.

Tashi0106 said:
I've got to play against for myself in some real gametypes before I can declare that.

I'm sad tryouts are over.

There were some really great games that came out of that.

Tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:

Gamesager's squad is coordinated as hell. They Rock BTB to the point where its like MLG set ups except its 8 on 8.

Honestly, take two top tier MLG teams, put them against gamesagers squad, BTB, and it would be a close match.

Also, good games Wu, Tunavi and Hitmonchan.

Tunavi and Hitmonchan left before they got to see me go big.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=628821880&player=Tawpgun

Top Bottom