• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Domino Theory said:
I got the latest OXM in the mail and under the Crystal Ball section it says something along the lines of "On 11/15/11, play the Anniversary." (Anniversary was italicised in the magazine) I'm guessing the CE remake will be called 'Halo: Anniversary' or something.

Either way, I'm glad we don't have to wait much longer to put an end to this rumor in addition to seeing a potential Halo 4 announcement/teaser which will make E3 '11 for me. 7 days left. :)

E343 FTW!
I'm so hyped. The best thing: My weekend starts today :) No school till next monday. :)

PNut said:
Who thinks Armor Abilities will be in the next Halo game? Assuming we get Halo 4 and the continuation of Master Chief's story. I wonder how equipment/AA's will work. Surely he doesn't need things like Armor Lock , Jet Pack, or Evade to continue kicking ass. Could you imagine the Chief Armor Locking? That would be something. lol.

I liked the equipment setup in Halo 3 and I hope that's what we get.

343i has such a great opportunity to bring back classic Halo and I hope they don't screw it up and try and reinvent the wheel.
Equipment in Halo 3 was largely awesome. This game shows you how often equipment was used (generally) in Halo 3, though because some maps were smaller, that ensured many being used in close proximity. I don't think Sprint should be in the next Halo game because that would be just an excuse to keep the base player speed low. Hologram I would love to see return.

Hey You

PNut said:
Who thinks Armor Abilities will be in the next Halo game? Assuming we get Halo 4 and the continuation of Master Chief's story. I wonder how equipment/AA's will work. Surely he doesn't need things like Armor Lock , Jet Pack, or Evade to continue kicking ass. Could you imagine the Chief Armor Locking? That would be something. lol.

I liked the equipment setup in Halo 3 and I hope that's what we get.

343i has such a great opportunity to bring back classic Halo and I hope they don't screw it up and try and reinvent the wheel.
I'm hoping go back to Halo 3's style and have a separate playlist and gametypes with Armor Abilities so we can go into a playlist and play Reach style or load up customs.

Arnie

Put in Halo 3 last night for an evening of MLG and it was godly. Even my friends who aren't as anti-Reach as I am (not in a malicious way, more a reluctant one) couldn't believe how much funner 3 was. The fast movement speed, jump height and godly BR are so much better than what we currently have, hope 343 make a return to this, Domino's impressions from their community event seemed to suggest that was the case.

One thing that does make me sad though is how the community suffers to big games like this when a sequel comes out. We got host booted last night and my friend who plays Halo 3 regularly still predicted it before the game. Basically he knows all the people who still play Halo 3 and the ones with a proclivity to cheat can get away with it.

Question:

One of the frustrating things Microsoft/Bungie introduced in Halo 3 and Reach was the lack of map packs going "free" after a certain period. It fragmented the userbase, to the point where I've played literally 3 or 4 games on the latest maps for Reach in Matchmaking. Considering this is premium DLC, this is a pretty crap way of doing things.

I'd love to return to a time where map packs go free, enabling everyone to have and enjoy the same game at the same time, but it's probably not going to happen.

If 343i copied (pretty much to the letter) Activision's plan for "Call of Duty Elite" but via Halo Waypoint, would you be happy or annoyed? Frequent premium DLC included in the subscription, as well as all the usual stat-tracking etc, but enhanced theatre/youtube features, armour permutations, etc etc?

As much as I should hate the idea, I'd probably sign right up anyways. Cos I love me some Halo's.

Which is probably why Activision will make a shedload of cash from suckers like me....

Striker

You can't "return" to Halo 3, because it lacked hitscan which made the BR more or as random as the DMR can be. The AR was a horrible starting weapon (I rather spawn with a SMG, at least then I can dual wield; dual wielding rocked BR users in small maps), simultaneous melee was as hilarious as can be, and other weapons like the SMG, Spiker, and Plasma Rifle were near obsolete because Bungie nerfed dual wielding.

Equipment will be as borked and malicious as it was in 3 until they fix the latency problem it had (press X to deploy ___, oh shit, I died... oh NOW my ____ deploys), and rebalance every single one. The only one that really was balanced in retrospect was the grav lift. Everything else was either: exploitive, nerfed (useless), or a second-life item (regen, bubble).

If 343i copied (pretty much to the letter) Activision's plan for "Call of Duty Elite" but via Halo Waypoint, would you be happy or annoyed? Frequent premium DLC included in the subscription, as well as all the usual stat-tracking etc, but enhanced theatre/youtube features, armour permutations, etc etc?
Annoyed.

GhaleonEB

Sikamikanico said:
Question:

One of the frustrating things Microsoft/Bungie introduced in Halo 3 and Reach was the lack of map packs going "free" after a certain period. It fragmented the userbase, to the point where I've played literally 3 or 4 games on the latest maps for Reach in Matchmaking. Considering this is premium DLC, this is a pretty crap way of doing things.

I'd love to return to a time where map packs go free, enabling everyone to have and enjoy the same game at the same time, but it's probably not going to happen.

As much as I should hate the idea, I'd probably sign right up anyways. Cos I love me some Halo's.

Which is probably why Activision will make a shedload of cash from suckers like me....
I wouldn't buy the game if 343i went that way. I wouldn't be annoyed, I'd be offended.

With Reach's amazing netcode, I think most of the latency issues regarding equipment would disappear. Though, some people post as if it happened all the time, when it didn't.

The best thing about equipment was that it was fun. Armor abilities not as much because you can use them constantly. Equipment should be treated like semi power weapons rather than a regular asset. You know, like respawn times for equipment should be between that of regular weapons and those of power weapons.

Ken

Sikamikanico said:

I'd be worried because if a game like Halo also adopted a 'premium subscription plan' like CoD Elite, there's a good chance all other developers will try to sneak in a subscription plan into their future games as well because it "works."

Damn. One moment I was distracted and an hunter killed me with a punch. I played NA for today's challenge and the level is one of the best in the game. But I wished, it would have more second objective. It's damn Reach. The UNSC should be fightning everywhere. Btw. why does not the audio files play at the last cinematic? At the subtitles there is always some lines for civilian, but I never heard them talking.

Striker

Dax01 said:
The best thing about equipment was that it was fun. Armor abilities not as much because you can use them constantly. Equipment should be treated like semi power weapons rather than a regular asset. You know, like respawn times for equipment should be between that of regular weapons and those of power weapons.
Precisely, but you also do not need multiple amounts of them. Halo 1 and 2 were great without them and a team/person can make exciting, tense moments without a grav lift, trip mine, or whatnot. I personally think that's what Bungie was aiming for, but truthfully it wasn't necessary at all.

They can return the overshield, camo, and then bring in new power up items, possibly one that scrambles opposing team's radar for 60 seconds, or maybe one that enables gravity to be less for one single jump (think of it as a grav lift/jetpack).

wwm0nkey

Striker said:
Precisely, but you also do not need multiple amounts of them. Halo 1 and 2 were great without them and a team/person can make exciting, tense moments without a grav lift, trip mine, or whatnot. I personally think that's what Bungie was aiming for, but truthfully it wasn't necessary at all.

They can return the overshield, camo, and then bring in new power up items, possibly one that scrambles opposing team's radar for 60 seconds, or maybe one that enables gravity to be less for one single jump (think of it as a grav lift/jetpack).
Hire this man right now 343!

Schooly D

So, I'm a little lost. Can you get your best 4 guys for a 4v4 clan match versus TSD? If not then we'll be moving on to challenge Master Theory.

Tawpgun

wwm0nkey said:
Hire this man right now 343!
Sprint = Adrenaline: Press rb to activate a temporary boost in speed.
Jetpack = Balanced jetpack: Like the reach jetpack, but it has a set amount of fuel.
Camo= jammer: Jam radar around you for a limited time.

Those are some ideas. Fuses equipment and AAs. Like AAs they aren't one time use. But they have a non rechargeable fuel to them. Nothing that slows down gameplay. Also, if someone dies with these abilities, someone can pick them up assuming they have fuel.

Striker said:
If they bring back overshield and camo, they have every reason to bring back bubble shield, regenerator, energy drainer, and trip mine. They were all fun in their own way.
A27 Tawpgun said:
Sprint = Adrenaline: Press rb to activate a temporary boost in speed.
Jetpack = Balanced jetpack: Like the reach jetpack, but it has a set amount of fuel.
Camo= jammer: Jam radar around you for a limited time.
I think they need to get rid of jetpack. It breaks the flow of maps.

Dax01 said:
If they bring back overshield and camo, they have every reason to bring back bubble shield, regenerator, energy drainer, and trip mine. They were all fun in their own way.

They need to get rid of jetpack. It breaks the flow of maps.

You know, I find that the best maps are the ones where jet packs don't break the map.

Jetpack makes you such a large target...

Havok

A27_StarWolf said:
You could also argue that jetpack helps combat some camping on the highground, like in breakpoint.
Certain parts of some maps like Breakpoint being stupidly designed doesn't somehow legitimize the jetpack.

LosDaddie

Banned
Long weekend...today feels like Monday...

ugh at that Weekly, but I'm willing to join anyone for the LASO run, if they want my help. I mean, I haven't done the Weekly yet, but I'm game if someone wants to lead the way. At night, starting around 10pm EDT is when I'm online.

Let me know.

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
Tyrant put together a collection of tricks and exploits to help you get through Pillar of Autumn - multiple ways of attacking multiple tough spots. Worth watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUfUKM5ihlw
"It's a little known fact that a dual-wielder, once they know you're there, can't be assasinated."

#@$&!!!!

We ran into that last night. I landed what should have been assasinations on the Zealots at the very end multipler times, only to just bash them instead (and get based in return - they hit harder). Now I know why. Cheap. :(

feel

Havok said:
Certain parts of some maps like Breakpoint being stupidly designed doesn't somehow legitimize the jetpack.
w1y6no.jpg

+1

Tawpgun

Dax01 said:

I think they need to get rid of jetpack. It breaks the flow of maps.
But if only one or two people could use it for a limited time... Its less annoying and more of a power item.

Regen needs to leave though.
It was like giving yourself an instant overshield.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Regen needs to leave though.
It was like giving yourself an instant overshield.
Regenerator was fine, and was only featured on certain maps. And even then, it wasn't a problem on maps of appropriate sizes (Avalanch, Valhalla). It was used against vehicles (which only helped a little) as much against infantry.

On The Pit next to snipers? That's a horrible spot to put them.

Ramirez

I want to see a bare bones return to form as far as gameplay goes, but that ship has sailed. People don't like well balanced gameplay anymore, they want stupid things like AL and AC 130s to make themselves feel better.

I'll just be happy to see bloom gone, what a worthless addition to the game. Seriously, if the gunplay still played like the old games, I bet the vast majority of our complaints wouldn't be so bad. Jetpackers wouldn't be so annoying if you didn't have to worry about pacing your shot while they rain down death with their nades and AR. You could apply that scenario to pretty much every AA.

PNut

Banned
Dax01 said:
On The Pit next to snipers? That's a horrible spot to put them.

Yeah, and don't forget about the endless supply on Isolation. Felt like the damn thing spawned every 10 seconds. Other than that I agree. Nothing was wrong with Regen.

Just got in a discussion with a 13 year old kid, while playing sword base in the arena. He said it was his favourite map but he couldn't explain it without saying that he liked it because of the camping. Needless to say, we lost the match with the kid as our best player (by camping)

God, I hate Sword Base.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
Is it too early for E3 predictions?

"Buying the Halo: CE remake will of course get you an invite to the Halo 4 beta."

:p
I wouldn't be surprised. I'm expecting Halo 4 to be announced, at the very least.

wwm0nkey said:
My E3 prediction are the Halo: CE remake and hopefully includes halo 2 XBLA (last part is more of a dream lol)
They're not going to roll out a Halo MP to compete with Reach. :p

wwm0nkey said:
My E3 prediction are the Halo: CE remake and hopefully includes halo 2 XBLA (last part is more of a dream lol)

I will be so sad if Halo 2 is not included in the anniversary edition.

I'm super cereal.

Tha Robbertster said:
Just got in a discussion with a 13 year old kid, while playing sword base in the arena. He said it was his favourite map but he couldn't explain it without saying that he liked it because of the camping. Needless to say, we lost the match with the kid as our best player (by camping)

God, I hate Sword Base.

Poorly designed map plain and simple, especially considering the gameplay mechanics of Reach.

GhaleonEB said:
They're not going to roll out a Halo MP to compete with Reach. :p

Although I agree with you that it won't happen, why not? Already got their moneys for Reach.

I though Squad Slayer had big party restrictions! I just searched by myself and I'm playing against a full team of 5.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I will be so sad if Halo 2 is not included in the anniversary edition.

I'm super cereal.

But it's not Halo 2's 10-year anniversary for another 3 years!

Who the hell would celebrate an anniversary for an odd number like sev- nevermind.

ncsuDuncan said:
But it's not Halo 2's 10-year anniversary for another 3 years!

Who the hell would celebrate an anniversary for an odd number like sev- nevermind.

Niice.

I want them to get Halo 1 and 2 out of the way so they can focus on 4.

Top Bottom