• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

ncsuDuncan said:
But it's not Halo 2's 10-year anniversary for another 3 years!

Who the hell would celebrate an anniversary for an odd number like sev- nevermind.

lol

Also, couple rage thoughts from my 1v5 game of squad slayer I just played.
-I hate that Bungie thought that Asylum was passable as a Sanctuary remake.
-I hate the grenades in this game.

That is all.

Kuroyume said:
Yeah, because camping doesn't exist in the other maps.

Yes, there are enough examples, but I think Sword Base takes the cake. The halls are too small and easely spammed with grenades and all the powerweapons are for CQC. (this is on other camping maps though)

Booshka

Steelyuhas said:
lol

Also, couple rage thoughts from my 1v5 game of squad slayer I just played.
-I hate that Bungie thought that Asylum was passable as a Sanctuary remake.
-I hate the grenades in this game.

That is all.
Combining those two hates, I forget that the Ramps on the Carbines don't have that little nook like they should, so I end up getting naded because I run into a wall. They need to just put up the Sanctuary remake that the MLG community made.

Booshka said:
Combining those two hates, I forget that the Ramps on the Carbines don't have that little nook like they should, so I end up getting naded because I run into a wall. They need to just put up the Sanctuary remake that the MLG community made.

Oh please no, the MLG Sanctuary is much better than Asylum, but still has most of the flaws that Asylum has. I put what I think to be the best Sanctuary on my file share.

The issue is that none of these maps can support 4-way split screen like Asylum can because Asylum has so few forge pieces on that map despite the fact that it is forged very poorly.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Niice.

I want them to get Halo 1 and 2 out of the way so they can focus on 4.

Why do want to get the best Halo's out of the way? Don't you just want to play those because they are the best?

ncsuDuncan said:
Is it too early for E3 predictions?

"Buying the Halo: CE remake will of course get you an invite to the Halo 4 beta."

:p
I'm still pretty skeptical of the whole idea that Microsoft is gonna announce a remake of Halo 1. I'd still place my bets on it not happening. Following that line of thinking, I would be even more surprised if Halo 4 will be ready next year.

Dax01 said:
I'm still pretty skeptical of the whole idea that Microsoft is gonna announce a remake of Halo 1. I'd still place my bets on it not happening. Following that line of thinking, I would be even more surprised if Halo 4 will be ready next year.
What does your crystal ball tell you about Halo's 10th anniversary? There's got to be something in the works.

NullPointer said:
What does your crystal ball tell you about Halo's 10th anniversary? There's got to be something in the works.
I dunno. Probably something like a shit ton of multiplayer maps at a low price. Among other small things.

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
I dunno. Probably something like a shit ton of multiplayer maps at a low price. Among other small things.
Yeah for the 10th anniversary I kind of doubt it will be small, there will be something.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
notsureifserious.jpg

I'm with you on the former, but I fail to see why MS would alter their pricing ratios.

GhaleonEB said:
notsureifserious.jpg

I'm with you on the former, but I fail to see why MS would alter their pricing ratios.
Because it's the anniversary! I dunno. It just doesn't seem likely to me that we'll get a Halo 1 remake.

Steelyuhas said:
Why do want to get the best Halo's out of the way? Don't you just want to play those because they are the best?
I know the first two Halo games are amazing.

I want "Halo 4" to be fantastic.

Teams do their best work when they focus entirely on one project. If we get "Halo: CE" this fall, two to three years from now, we'll want "Halo 2." I say just bundle them together. It'll sell like hotcakes.

Unlike Ghal, I think the best way to make sure the anniversary edition sells is to add XBL multiplayer, especially if 343 remakes "Halo 2."

The servers are shutdown for the original Xbox version. You want to see how fast Microsoft can pile up the money? Give people an easy way to play "Halo 2" online again. No more XBC or buggy PC versions -- good ol', straight-from-the-console dongin'. In the wake of "Reach," remaking what most people consider the pinnacle of Halo multiplayer would drive people bananas.

Especially me. I played "Halo 2" online maybe four times in my life. It's a selfish, greedy thing to want, but I want it.

That said, I still stand by what I've said in the past: If Microsoft releases "Halo: CE" without XBL multiplayer, it will bomb. You can't tack on the multiplayer suite of "Reach" with a few extra maps and call it a day. The diehard Halo fans who left when "Reach" came out won't come running back for that. Wait too long to deliver a classic Halo multiplayer experience, and it'll be harder to get them to buy "Halo 4."

Make a game that appeals to their sensibilities and nostalgia. Give those who've only played "CE" on the consoles what they've always wanted: "Halo: CE," 16-player online multiplayer, online co-op and voice chat.

There are days when I absolutely love Reach, but the game is so fundamentally different from past titles that having it and a Halo: Anniversary remake fighting in the online realm could not possibly have any negative effects for the franchise overall. If people stop playing Reach and pick up the remake(s), Microsoft just made a profit and more people play Halo.

Tunavi

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Huh, so signing on on B.net doesn't seem to work right now, bummer.
You have to pay for Bungie Elite to sign in and get stats now

your panoramas are fucking incredible

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
Unlike Ghal, I think the best way to make sure the anniversary edition sells is to add XBL multiplayer, especially if 343 remakes "Halo 2."
This misrepresents my position. I have been posting what I expect to happen, not what I want to happen, or what I think would be optimal.

Hey You

ncsuDuncan said:
Is it too early for E3 predictions?

"Buying the Halo: CE remake will of course get you an invite to the Halo 4 beta."

:p
That would be lame, I don't want to pay for a game I've already got. Should be if you own Reach, then you'll get into the beta.

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
Fair enough. Sorry about that.
No worries. I try to be clear but that doesn't mean I always am.

My preferred direction for 343i is to go directly to Halo 4, and to not pass Go or collect sales from any remakes. (After more Reach map packs, of course.)

I do think a remake of CE without the (or any) multiplayer would be a strange beast. But I really don't see them adding a new Halo multiplayer on Live in between Reach and Halo 4. It makes much more sense to move the community from one major Halo release to another, rather than adding a half step in between.

I woulnd't mind it, but then my views of Reach's MP mechanics are well documented at this point. :)

I just realized that if they do the remake route, and include Reach MP maps, we will probably get Firefight maps from locations in the Halo 1 campaign. And I spontaniously smiled.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I know the first two Halo games are amazing.

I want "Halo 4" to be fantastic.

Teams do their best work when they focus entirely on one project. If we get "Halo: CE" this fall, two to three years from now, we'll want "Halo 2." I say just bundle them together. It'll sell like hotcakes.

Edit: I think the best way to make sure the anniversary edition sells is to add XBL multiplayer, especially if 343 remakes "Halo 2."

The servers are shutdown for the original Xbox version. You want to see how fast Microsoft can pile up the money? Give people an easy way to play "Halo 2" online again. No more XBC or buggy PC versions -- good ol', straight-from-the-console dongin'. In the wake of "Reach," remaking what most people consider the pinnacle of Halo multiplayer would drive people bananas.

Especially me. I played "Halo 2" online maybe four times in my life. It's a selfish, greedy thing to want, but I want it.

That said, I still stand by what I've said in the past: If Microsoft releases "Halo: CE" without XBL multiplayer, it will bomb. You can't tack on the multiplayer suite of "Reach" with a few extra maps and call it a day. The diehard Halo fans who left when "Reach" came out won't come running back for that. Wait too long to deliver a classic Halo multiplayer experience, and it'll be harder to get them to buy "Halo 4."

Make a game that appeals to their sensibilities and nostalgia. Give those who've only played "CE" on the consoles what they've always wanted: "Halo: CE," 16-player online multiplayer, online co-op and voice chat.

There are days when I absolutely love Reach, but the game is so fundamentally different from past titles that having it and a Halo: Anniversary remake fighting in the online realm could not possibly have any negative effects for the franchise overall. If people stop playing Reach and pick up the remake(s), Microsoft just made a profit and more people play Halo.

Okay I see what you are saying. As for H2 online, all they need to do is release the multiplayer portion of H2 as an XBLA game, charge 15-20 bucks and watch the money pour in. You've only played H2 four times online? Shame, H2 was Xbox Live, and it was incredible.

As for what I think we get this fall, I think that we really can't logically say that Halo CE in HD isn't coming. It has popped up everywhere, and on top of that Microsoft has a history of rumors being absolute fact an alarming amount of the time.

I think the most likely scenario is Halo CE campaign on a disc (maybe with four player Co-op online) and a second disc of Reach MP, with DLC maps, and a nice collection of new maps.

Still though, the most important thing about this is H2 XBLA
Believe

GhaleonEB said:
No worries. I try to be clear but that doesn't mean I always am.

My preferred direction for 343i is to go directly to Halo 4, and to not pass Go or collect sales from any remakes. (After more Reach map packs, of course.)

I do think a remake of CE without the (or any) multiplayer would be a strange beast. But I really don't see them adding a new Halo multiplayer on Live in between Reach and Halo 4. It makes much more sense to move the community from one major Halo release to another, rather than adding a half step in between.

I woulnd't mind it, but then my views of Reach's MP mechanics are well documented at this point. :)

I just realized that if they do the remake route, and include Reach MP maps, we will probably get Firefight maps from locations in the Halo 1 campaign. And I spontaneously smiled.
My God.

That might change my entire disposition on this. :^)

Steelyuhas said:
Okay I see what you are saying. As for H2 online, all they need to do is release the multiplayer portion of H2 as an XBLA game, charge 15-20 bucks and watch the money pour in. You've only played H2 four times online? Shame, H2 was Xbox Live, and it was incredible.
I had dial-up internet until two years ago. I lived in the deep woods. Sad times, indeed.

My buddy has yet to play CE, although we've had incredible times in Halo 3, ODST and Reach. He's waiting on an HD version with online co-op.

So yeah, I hope the remake talk is real (or at least an optimized HD version). My friend can't be the only one who didn't experience Halo in its prime.

GhaleonEB said:
I just realized that if they do the remake route, and include Reach MP maps, we will probably get Firefight maps from locations in the Halo 1 campaign. And I spontaniously smiled.
343, you better have been working on this. I'm thinking of the first time you land on halo, holding out and the end of the level. so awesome.

I guess the reason I'm not expecting a remake is because I burned all my energy hoping for a remake of "Halo (1)" in the Reach engine at the end of Halo: Reach.

A stupid and strange reason, I know.

GhaleonEB said:
What I really hope for regarding Halo at E3 is a surprise. An out of left field, they're doing what?! kind of moment.
ODS2: Super's Revenge

rtqedh.png

Hey You

Hmm since BNet is in Read only mode, I was looking through peoples profiles and such and noticed that peoples group role is "NonMember" and founders group role is named "lurker".

Example.

I wonder if a group update or something is incoming?

Edit: I see, the role of the group will show up whatever you have named as your "Non member" group role name.

Hey You said:
Hmm since BNet is in Read only mode, I was looking through peoples profiles and such and noticed that peoples group role is "NonMember" and founders group role is named "lurker".

Example.

I wonder if a group update or something is incoming?
Halo Elite incoming?

Tawpgun

JESUS CHRIST POA LASO DONE.

I can't stress how close I came to dying during the Mass Driver final shot. I took a screenshot in theater. One bar of health left. Barrage of concussion shots incoming...

LASO is done. Did every one for the challenge. Halo... it's finished.

No, fuck the rest of the quote. It's done. Never again. Go away.

Tunavi

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
JESUS CHRIST POA LASO DONE.

I can't stress how close I came to dying during the Mass Driver final shot. I took a screenshot in theater. One bar of health left. Barrage of concussion shots incoming...

LASO is done. Did every one for the challenge. Halo... it's finished.

No, fuck the rest of the quote. It's done. Never again. Go away.
LASO lone wolf standout for 30 minutes - 20,000 credits

Sibylus

Banned
Dax01 said:
I think they need to get rid of jetpack. It breaks the flow of maps.
Posts like these break the flow of my heart :[

Something akin to a Jetpack certainly can disrupt the expected flow, but it can also open up new and interesting pathways through a mission or map. Reach, like TF2 (in the form of double-jumping, rocket jumping, sticky jumping, etc), is one of the few games that actually offers that sort of DIY pathfinding element. To see that go would be a pretty significant loss for me.

*probably one of the few that loved AAs mostly as they were*

Willeth

Botolf said:
*probably one of the few that loved AAs mostly as they were*
Nah, I'm okay with pretty much everything.

Then again I also have some odd viewpoints on most balancing issues (ie, the answer to drop shields in objective isn't to remove drop shields, it's to provide more EMP weapons).

Ramirez

All of this talk of a CE remake with Reach remake maps makes me sad. I don't want to wait years to get back to a Halo game that is fast paced and removes stupid stuff like bloom. :( I don't care if it's a CE/2/3 MP remake, I just want a more classic Halo MP to play.

I agree with Hitmon in that a CE without a true MP experience with it won't draw much attention from people who gave up when Reach turned out to be such a drastic departure from past titles. I also don't understand the reasoning of MS doesn't want two Halo titles competing against each other, release another mappack over the summer and then release the next game. I thought MS wanted Halo to turn into a yearly title like CoD?

Then I read posts on here saying AA's are fine, and that dropshields are ok, and I wonder if I'm just a dying breed in the Halo playspace, these things are not what made me fall in love with Halo, ugh.

Ramirez

I think most of you need to dial expectations down though, as amazing as a CE/2 MP remake would be, I don't see anything that good happening, sadly.

Top Bottom