• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

I really don't feel good about myself after my first game of Arena in seasson 8 :p I got a Buck Wild on Countdown with 16 shotgun kills. Just shows how powerfull the shotgun is in Reach when playing against bad players.

Just feels nooby to be constantly using it and so effectivly that I only had one death. I guess the true skill reset also worked a great deal.

And about the question of AA's in a future Halo game: I would like them to stay but in a way that they work properly. Sprint and Hologram are the only 2 AA's that work good. Just no AA's that slow the gameplay down.

Maybe something like being able to watch trough walls like in Blacklight: tango down.

Ofcourse, there would be a downside like not being to be able to shoot your gun. (they should have done this with the Jetpack too, then maybe it can stay in a future Halo game)

Ken

Tha Robbertster said:
Maybe something like being able to watch trough walls like that one xbox arcade game (can't remember the name but it was a FPS).

Blacklight Tango had a short visor mode power-up thing where you could see enemies through walls.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I've been meaning to tell you: I love Kingdom.

I do too; one of the better Forge Maps I've played.

Shafto

Is there an easy place online to download the maps from the Team Classic playlist?

Fancy having a wee sniff around them without going into matchmaking, and was hoping Bungie.net would have easy links to download the maps somewhere, but I can't find it.

Striker

Ramirez said:
Halo needs to return to pickup powerups.
And only powerups. No gimmicks.

Shafto,
Best bet is to Google the map name and "Bungie.net" or "Forge". The maps are all remakes, so they aren't necessarily new or hard to navigate.

Ken

Playing Squad Slayer with Tunavi, if anyone wants to join.

What was the point of Sword blocking again? Seems pointless in a 1v1 situation if the guy with the sword is still close enough for the the second hit that kills. Would have liked a further knock back but oh well.

Voltron64

Luken said:
XD Ahahahahahahaha!! I'm sorry... :(

Well, which armor ability do you recommend for me to use?

I'm not using armor lock anymore, I already used too much. :p

Now I'm using the evade ability playing in Squad and Team slayer. When I'm with the sword and using evade ability, I'm like playing Ninja Gaiden on Halo.

Cloak is also great, you can move cloaked in crouch position.
Sniper rifle and cloak = one shot one kill( try to find me hahaha)

My gamertag: LukenCortez51. Add me Gaf!
Okay, whose alt is this? lol!

Tunavi

Banned
Playing Invasion on Breakpoint! WTF is this real life??
Ramirez said:
Man, the arena is a joke. Jetpacks, 1 nade, and radar. I know that's what I always look for in a competitive playlist.
play mlg dood

Striker

Ramirez said:
Man, the arena is a joke. Jetpacks, 1 nade, and radar. I know that's what I always look for in a competitive playlist.
1 'nade is fine. What's the issue is certain maps and their grenade placements. For example, Asylum has NONE.

feel

Ramirez said:
Halo needs to return to pickup powerups.
Yep. Loved looking out for specific power-up threats depending of the map area I was running trough. But don't worry, Frankie's got this. Unless they also have a big bearded hipnotist (or sweet talker) in there in charge of major gameplay decisions convincing everyone that his insane Halo changing ideas make perfect sense. Cthulhu saves us all if so.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Louis Wu said:
You should tell him the joke's on him - your REAL IP is 127.0.0.1
Ah! Cover that up!
A27 Tawpgun said:
Its like this one guy on our team in invasion slayer complaining about an aimbot sniper.

I was like, nope dude, you're an elite in Invasion slayer.
I love Invasion Slayer on Countdown it really lets you know how bigger you are when you're a dino.

Plywood said:
I love Invasion Slayer on Countdown it really lets you know how bigger you are when you're a dino.
I think the difference between Elites and Spartans should be even more pronounced, as far as size, shield, movement, etc. goes. I really want them to feel noticeably different than Spartans, not just in weapon loadouts. Obviously they are different now, but not so much that you actually change your playstyle.

Invasion Slayer should be an Asymmetric Gametype too. Give it two rounds, each one 8 minutes long. Unlimited slayer count. Switch sides/races after Round 1 ends. Highest cumulative score wins.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ncsuDuncan said:
Invasion Slayer should be an Asymmetric Gametype too. Give it two rounds, each one 8 minutes long. Unlimited slayer count. Switch sides/races after Round 1 ends. Highest cumulative score wins.
How would you determine who is the winner amongst the players though?

Ramirez

Tunavi said:
play mlg dood

I did after this, but I don't care for MLG's map selection, it's pretty sparse. Just no real classics in this game. -_- I could have played MLG King on Construct all day long, win or lose...

1 nade is not fine, it's pretty hard to break someones campy setup when you can only throw one nade and hope for the best. Halo has always been played with more than 1 nade, don't give me that garbage. The only reason it's justifiable at all is in the classic playlist where 1 has the power of 2...

I also just got a temp. MM ban for quitting too many games. I've actually quit out of one match over the past 2-3 days, and that was just now in a MLG bomb game where a guy quit a few seconds in and I didn't care to stick around for the slaughter. The other games were legit connection drops, in which my team won every match, why would I choose to quit out of a game I'm winning? Quit ban is stupid, didn't solve a single thing, and it even punishes people who are not in the wrong, awesome.

I really hope 343 includes some type of friendly quit in the next game, game before the one I quit out of, a guy's whole team quit, leaving me and 2 others to track him down for the remaining 35 kills or so, good times.

Tunavi, even if I wasn't banned I would have to pass on the Defiant playlist, yet another dumb decision, put all of the Noble DLC in, but weight it so low you never see it, lol. smh

Ramirez said:
Tunavi, even if I wasn't banned I would have to pass on the Defiant playlist, yet another dumb decision, put all of the Noble DLC in, but weight it so low you never see it, lol. smh

The reason that Noble never comes up is that its not required for the playlist, only Defiant is. So we have to rely on that amazing DLC search matchmaking algorithm to get the Noble maps to come up in the playlist.

Gui_PT

Tunavi said:
Oh a lot came out of me, Plywood.

q9H6V.gif

Plywood said:
How would you determine who is the winner amongst the players though?
Individual combined score from Round 1 and Round 2.

You get 8 minutes as an Elite and 8 minutes as a Spartan. If you still want to have the Invasion loadout progression, it's now determined by time instead of kills. So Phase 2 starts 2 minutes into a round, Phase 3 starts 5 minutes into the round.

Ramirez

Steelyuhas said:
The reason that Noble never comes up is that its not required for the playlist, only Defiant is. So we have to rely on that amazing DLC search matchmaking algorithm to get the Noble maps to come up in the playlist.

lol, wow. Did not know that...

So uh, say someone buys Noble, but not Defiant, are they just supposed to accept the fact they won't be seeing their new DLC much? heh

Ramirez said:
lol, wow. Did not know that...

So uh, say someone buys Noble, but not Defiant, are they just supposed to accept the fact they won't be seeing their new DLC much? heh

Apparently.

Baffles me that Bungie couldn't find a good solution for integrating DLC after H3's was so poor.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Account Attempt #4 said:
Anybody from HaloGaf making the MLG thread tomorrow?
Tashi
I'll be working so I'll just let someone else do it. And someone will have to make the Anaheim one too because I think I'll be there.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Steelyuhas said:
Apparently.

Baffles me that Bungie couldn't find a good solution for integrating DLC after H3's was so poor.

Simple, just add another checkbox that says "DLC" along side "Good Connection", "My Skill", etc.

Striker

Team Objective seems to get an ample amount of DLC showing up. Tempest not as much, but Anchor 9 flag does. Perhaps we'll see any changes about it after the update.

Ramirez said:
I did after this, but I don't care for MLG's map selection, it's pretty sparse. Just no real classics in this game. -_- I could have played MLG King on Construct all day long, win or lose...

1 nade is not fine, it's pretty hard to break someones campy setup when you can only throw one nade and hope for the best. Halo has always been played with more than 1 nade, don't give me that garbage. The only reason it's justifiable at all is in the classic playlist where 1 has the power of 2...
Depends what map setups you're talking about. What map? I've encountered most camp settings in Asylum, and that's the map they borked by giving zero grenade spawns. Anyways, having two grenades each, it becomes a grenade fest than an actual weapon use especially for maps like Reflection and Powerhouse. Zealot gets enough grenade action as is and that's with a single frag.

And Construct was garbage. So was Narrows. Two maps they can throw in the trash bin with Caged, Isolation, and Orbital.

Ramirez

Striker said:
Team Objective seems to get an ample amount of DLC showing up. Tempest not as much, but Anchor 9 flag does. Perhaps we'll see any changes about it after the update.

Depends what map setups you're talking about. What map? I've encountered most camp settings in Asylum, and that's the map they borked by giving zero grenade spawns. Anyways, having two grenades each, it becomes a grenade fest than an actual weapon use especially for maps like Reflection and Powerhouse. Zealot gets enough grenade action as is and that's with a single frag.

And Construct was garbage. So was Narrows. Two maps they can throw in the trash bin with Caged, Isolation, and Orbital.

The game just fundamentally plays different with one nade, and not for the better, IMO. For all of the bellyaching I hear about grenades, and I do my fair share, they probably account for far less deaths than one would imagine. My stats show a 4.67 death rate an hour for grenades, compared to 20 deaths an hour for DMRs, and I play 99% of my games in playlists with 2 nades. Just hampers the gameplay from my viewpoint, I know they're OP at times, but only spawning with one doesn't improve the overall game for me.

MLG Construct was amazing, to say it and Narrows are in the same boat as Cage, Isolation, and Orbital is baffling. Those 3 maps all suffer/suffered from very narrow gameplay opportunities, Construct/Narrows had so many ways to maneuver around the maps, it just doesn't even compare, c'mon. Of course, you do consider Relic some kind of classic, so I'm not sure I can take you serious on these things. :p ;)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
MLG Narrows and Construct were much better version of the map than the standard matchmaking ones in Halo 3 for sure. However the standard versions of those maps were quite unpopular and quite... shit.

Striker

Ramirez said:
The game just fundamentally plays different with one nade, and not for the better, IMO. For all of the bellyaching I hear about grenades, and I do my fair share, they probably account for far less deaths than one would imagine. My stats show a 4.67 death rate an hour for grenades, compared to 20 deaths an hour for DMRs, and I play 99% of my games in playlists with 2 nades. Just hampers the gameplay from my viewpoint, I know they're OP at times, but only spawning with one doesn't improve the overall game for me.
From all my time in Arena, the only map I've seen most standoff encounters were Asylum. I still am in the camp to remove Boardwalk, not sure why it's in a "high competitive" environment.

Perhaps if the one grenade issue you have would be remedied if they removed radar, but I doubt they would.

Of course, you do consider Relic some kind of classic, so I'm not sure I can take you serious on these things. :p ;)
Love me some Relic! One of the few, select maps that can be great for slayer, skirmish, and for both 4v4/6v6. Outside Standoff and Tempest in 3/Reach, we've lacked those. :\

Dani said:
MLG Narrows and Construct were much better version of the map than the standard matchmaking ones in Halo 3 for sure. However the standard versions of those maps were quite unpopular and quite... shit.
Only The Pit was improved by MLG in forge because they added the crates to transition the jumps better. Otherwise, they really didn't do much. Narrows was really only good for flag. It was far too easy to spawn camp in slayer, and then they really changed up the spawn system for it, and then it became a big mess. Only way Construct King was bearable was because you had a BR start and there was no radar. That map was brutalized during the Halo 3 thread days because everybody hated the AR/radar on combo. It was terrible. Countdown reminds me of it in a few ways, but it's much better. Just wish for Arena stuff they would limit the amount of power weapons.

Top Bottom