• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tunavi

Banned
Booshka said:
play mlg dood
I did after this, but I don't care for MLG's map selection, it's pretty sparse. Just no real classics in this game. -_- I could have played MLG King on Construct all day long, win or lose...

neclas

Tunavi said:
Yesss I had this idea too. Too bad it will never happen for Reach.
I was under the impression that Reach did this automatically (which is why it isn't an option). But Bungie did say that the social preferences are restricted so that they don't slow down the search and that they wouldn't even have an effect during every search. My guess is that there just aren't enough people searching at the same time who all of the DLC and would have what the game considers a "playable connection" to one another.

Heck, for all we know, most games you get matched into could only have 1 or 2 people that don't have the DLC. But that's all it takes to keep you from playing it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tunavi said:
I did after this, but I don't care for MLG's map selection, it's pretty sparse. Just no real classics in this game. -_- I could have played MLG King on Construct all day long, win or lose...
:lol well done

Decom said:
I was under the impression that Reach did this automatically (which is why it isn't an option). But Bungie did say that the social preferences are restricted so that they don't slow down the search and that they wouldn't even have an effect during every search. My guess is that there just aren't enough people searching at the same time who all of the DLC and would have what the game considers a "playable connection" to one another.

Heck, for all we know, most games you get matched into could only have 1 or 2 people that don't have the DLC. But that's all it takes to keep you from playing it.

There is a matchmaking algorithm for DLC in Reach, just like skill, language, and connection. That DLC algorithm obviously doesn't work though. What he was saying was it would be nice to have a DLC search filter like skill, connection, and language to force the matchmaking system to actually try to get players with DLC to match with others that have it as well.

1y8llc.jpg

They've got the bad guys on the run.

szaromir

Banned
I dont know where to post this, so might as well here. Earlier today I was listening to this song (David Arkenstone - Below the Ocean) and at 1:32 it totally gave me Halo vibe. Is it just me?

edit: Halo 3 ODST Finale track sounds similar to it at 6:02. That's where the vibe comes from :)

szaromir said:
I dont know where to post this, so might as well here. Earlier today I was listening to this song (David Arkenstone - Below the Ocean) and at 1:32 it totally gave me Halo vibe. Is it just me?

edit: Halo 3 ODST Finale track sounds similar to it at 6:02. That's where the vibe comes from :)
It has a "Greatest Journey" vibe to me.

wwm0nkey

A customer at work today brought this up about Halo."Equipment made Halo 3 feel less like Halo 2.5 and AA's made Halo: Reach feel less like Halo 3. Well its been awhile since Halo 1 or 2 so I don't think people would mind a Halo 2.5 game right now"

SPOILERZ, JERKFACE.

Not everyone knows that Noble Six is an Elite! C'mon, man. :^p

Edit:
Or did the Elite kill Noble Six and claim his identity? Is this what being mindfucked feels like? Make it stop!

Tawpgun

MrBig said:
I'm in the last fucking room of the laso mission
MY protips, save Senor Fuel Rod for last if you can. There's 2 healthpacks in that room not including the one next to the dead marine.

It gave me problems too but I eventually got it. I lured him into the back room with the healthpack and kept weaving in an out of cover while shooting with P pistol.

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:
MY protips, save Senor Fuel Rod for last if you can. There's 2 healthpacks in that room not including the one next to the dead marine.

It gave me problems too but I eventually got it. I lured him into the back room with the healthpack and kept weaving in an out of cover while shooting with P pistol.
This is the worst ending to a game bungie has ever made.

MrBig

Kuroyume said:
Well, you're playing it LASO... Not sure what you're expecting.
I mean it's not fun. Not even on my first heroic playthrough was it fun. It's just stupid difficult. Every other Halo game has had some sort of ridiculous or fun ending, but this is just bonkers

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lol you guys see that Windows 7 commercial?

"Get a mini fridge for college, get an ice tray. Get a windows laptop for college, get an Xbox 360" Then a spartan walks up and blows up the mini fridge with a Spartan Laser. Pretty cool.

Tawpgun

Sometimes I feel the talent on this game was spread too thin and not focused on the right places. All that effort for firefight customization and its never used.

Forge got massive.

Campaign had a lot of effort (and I feel a lot of cutting)

But then all this shit slips through the cracks and takes forever to get fixed. At least I hope it slipped through and wasn't by design....

PNut

Banned
NullPointer said:
Same here actually. I always thought they should've made them reusable with cooldowns.

I'm a happy camper :)

I'm sure you are. Unlimited Bubble Shields in flag games....

smh

During the final moments of PoA: LASO, I correctly wondered: Why doesn't the Covenant cruiser simply heat up its plasma lines and shoot the Pillar of Autumn? Why does it have to use its main gun.

Speaking of ways of ending the game, even though I think the ending to Reach is one of the best in videogames around, there would have been a better (and have as much impact) way of ending Reach while staying true to the book. You could take the Saber out in the final mission and then would have been asked to protect the Pillar of Autumn while she makes her escape (and maybe some brief on-foot rescue operation to help save the Chief right beforehand), or better yet, help protect the Pelican that's carrying the other remaining Spartans who have been sent groundside to protect the Super Mac generators. Now, imagine carrying out these objectives with the epic final battle of Reach, as depicted in the book, being played out it in the background. The one glimmer of hope being when the huge space repair cubes sacrificing themselves for the first bombardment, only until the horrible realization moments later, when so many more ships jump in, that the Covenant's forces are far larger than anything the UNSC could have ever comprehended.

Dax01 said:
During the final moments of PoA: LASO, I correctly wondered: Why doesn't the Covenant cruiser simply heat up its plasma lines and shoot the Pillar of Autumn? Why does it have to use its main gun.

Speaking of ways of ending the game, even though I think the ending to Reach is one of the best in videogames around, there would have been a better (and have as much impact) way of ending Reach while staying true to the book. You could take the Saber out in the final mission and then would have been asked to protect the Pillar of Autumn while she makes her escape (and maybe some brief on-foot rescue operation to help save the Chief right beforehand), or better yet, help protect the Pelican that's carrying the other remaining Spartans who have been sent groundside to protect the Super Mac generators. Now, imagine carrying out these objectives with the epic final battle of Reach, as depicted in the book, being played out it in the background. The one glimmer of hope being when the huge space repair cubes sacrificing themselves for the first bombardment, only until the horrible realization moments later, when so many more ships jump in, that the Covenant's forces are far larger than anything the UNSC could have ever comprehended.
I'm forced to agree with this only because we might've ended up with a space based firefight level :)

Tashi0106 said:
Lol you guys see that Windows 7 commercial?

"Get a mini fridge for college, get an ice tray. Get a windows laptop for college, get an Xbox 360" Then a spartan walks up and blows up the mini fridge with a Spartan Laser. Pretty cool.

I saw that a few days ago. I chuckled.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:

Almost none of the mission story telling - the bits within the missions that set up the encounters - make any sense in Reach. There are some flaws to the overall story telling, but I like a lot of how it's told. But the way battles are set up...are just unrelentingly nonsensical.

The second LASO run was easier than the first on PoA, mostly because we all had a better idea of what to do. Well, that and MrBig hopping on the MAC gun and taking out all the reinforcements at the end. That was pretty neat.
Kibbles said:
^ Is that commercial on youtube anywhere? Nvm found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5OdiXIV1M

Wow it is year of the HD remakes (I'm so getting that MGS HD 360 set). Bring on Halo!
Okay, that was awesome. :lol

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
Almost none of the mission story telling - the bits within the missions that set up the encounters - make any sense in Reach. There are some flaws to the overall story telling, but I like a lot of how it's told. But the way battles are set up...are just unrelentingly nonsensical.
Unfortunately, there are only a few ways to say "okay, play firefight for a few minutes longer than you want to now."

GhaleonEB said:

The second LASO run was easier than the first on PoA, mostly because we all had a better idea of what to do. Well, that and MrBig hopping on the MAC gun and taking out all the reinforcements at the end. That was pretty neat.

Okay, that was awesome. :lol

The setups to Tip of the Spear, PoA, and nightfall were particularly bad in this regard- either they didn't make any sense or weren't explained (wait, how did a fairly substantial recon force make it to Reach and begin conducting operations with no one noticing? None of these farmers had cell phones? The only installation that connects the MOST IMPORTANT NON-EARTH PLANET to the rest of humanity is in a middle of fucking nowhere backwater with three squads of Marines and a Warthog stationed to guard it? Wait, why are we driving across a giant salt flat now?) And so on.

Tunavi

Banned
I've played Nightfall countless times and I still don't know what the point of that 'mission' is.

Oh god, please don't get me started about the story...
or lack there of :(

Tunavi said:
I've played Nightfall countless times and I still don't know what the point of that 'mission' is.

Oh god, please don't get me started about the story... :(

That's because the only story-relevant part of that mission is, quite literally, the last 30 seconds.

Hell, you can't even see what the hell is going on in the last cutscene- they're talking about this massive invasion force, and all you see is this weird purple light that looks like nothing and a single Corvette. So...a single ship the size of a frigate is a "massive force" now?

Yeah, I know the Long Night of Solace is cloaked up there, but we don't know that until the next mission and that just makes it more confusing.

Oh, yeah, and the WORST one is the frigate firing a MAC round at the Spire. After all the hyping up of MAC rounds and the kinda awesome assault on the Keyship in Halo 3, we see a frigate firing a MAC from 500m away (WHAT) and making an explosion that looks like a few hundred pounds of TNT, and the Spire just falls like a controlled demolition.

Um, yeah, that's what Jorge was just shitting his pants over a second ago? Really?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Booshka said:
Whenever I get confused by Halo's story, I just think to myself, "Sandbox Mother Fucker."
Waste of resources, "let's make cool things the player can't interact with!"

Tunavi

Banned
Halo is known for its wacky science fiction stories. Its about slipspace ruptures, mysterious ringworlds, intergalactic zombies, exploring strange structures, guerilla warfare, ect.

Reach was about a few soldiers walking across a farm, walking across another farm (at night this time - crazy plot twist!), driving through a canyon, blowing up an enemy ship, saving a bunch of meaningless civilians, flying though a destroyed city, playing firefight underground, then playing firefight in front of the Pillar of Autumn. Oh and the whole game you're just flipping magical switches that are supposed to save the war.

The story was just so safe. It was bland. Gross. Nothing happened.

fuck.

Edit: to compare, halo 1 was about being ambushed in space and then forced to crash land on Halo, struggling to regroup to with soldiers in order to launch an attack (saving people for a reason), then fighting your way into an enemy ship in order to save your commander, invading a mysterious underground structure to find a map, then fighting your way into the control room of halo...
I don't feel like finishing this, but you can see its much much much better than Reach.

GhaleonEB

Thagomizer said:
The setups to Tip of the Spear, PoA, and nightfall were particularly bad in this regard- either they didn't make any sense or weren't explained (wait, how did a fairly substantial recon force make it to Reach and begin conducting operations with no one noticing? None of these farmers had cell phones? The only installation that connects the MOST IMPORTANT NON-EARTH PLANET to the rest of humanity is in a middle of fucking nowhere backwater with three squads of Marines and a Warthog stationed to guard it? Wait, why are we driving across a giant salt flat now?) And so on.
Yeah. And a lot of the intra-mission setups. Tip of the Spear is a great mission, but the narrative is odd. Jorge lands his Falcon and says he saw some "nasty business" in the canyon below. Presumably that means he saw the turrets. AA guns are something we've been avoiding like the plague so far in the game. The very first thing we do in the mission is take down two AA turrets so our Falcon can land.

So what do we do after Jorge notes their presence in the canyon? We fly through it. Not over it, or around it, but straight down a gauntlet of what we've been avoiding the whole game.

And then we get to the spire. Auntie Dot informs us the shield might be an EMP. Jorge tells the pilot to fly straight through anyways. Not to land so we can walk through it, or to drop down a ways and then fly through to make the fall much less dangerous. Just fly on through. What's the point of having an AI tell you things like that shield you're about to fly through is an EMP if you're going to ignore it?

The start of the game sort of sets the bar for this sort of thing. Carter tells us to be selective in who we engage, as we don't want to telegraph our presence - right after we've buzzed the place in two helicopters and then landed on a bluff overlooking the houses. Carter then tells us to enter the house, but to "go in quiet". We get through the house and find Jorge has landed his Falcon right outside the door.

Every mission is packed to the gills with those kinds of moments.

In general, it feels like the mission narrative is disconnected from the action in Reach. (The action is usually excellent, and Tip of the Spear is a great mission; the narrative just doesn't make much sense.)
NullPointer said:
The setup and execution of Long Night of Solace was very well done. The slipspace rupture idea was cool, fighting your way to the Sabre facility, disabling and then hijacking a covenant cruiser, Jorge looking frightfully peaceful in his imminent demise, and then watching a spehere of nothingness split a capital ship in two as you hurtled back towards Reach.

Perfect.
This is true. The entire section around Long Night of Solace is done very well. The sequence of having to take down the carrier, how it's handled, and the fallout from it is the best story telling in Reach. It's the kind of thing I wish the game did more of, but a mission later (after Exodus) we spent an entire level taking out jammers. The story just stalls out.

The setup and execution of Long Night of Solace was very well done. The slipspace rupture idea was cool, fighting your way to the Sabre facility, disabling and then hijacking a covenant cruiser, Jorge looking frightfully peaceful in his imminent demise, and then watching a spehere of nothingness split a capital ship in two as you hurtled back towards Reach.

Perfect.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah. And a lot of the intra-mission setups. Tip of the Spear is a great mission, but the narrative is odd. Jorge lands his Falcon and says he saw some "nasty business" in the canyon below. Presumably that means he saw the turrets. AA guns are something we've been avoiding like the plague so far in the game. The very first thing we do in the mission is take down two AA turrets so our Falcon can land.

So what do we do after Jorge notes their presence in the canyon? We fly through it. Not over it, or around it, but straight down a gauntlet of what we've been avoiding the whole game.

And then we get to the spire. Auntie Dot informs us the shield might be an EMP. Jorge tells the pilot to fly straight through anyways. Not to land so we can walk through it, or to drop down a ways and then fly through to make the fall much less dangerous. Just fly on through. What's the point of having an AI tell you things like that shield you're about to fly through is an EMP if you're going to ignore it?

The start of the game sort of sets the bar for this sort of thing. Carter tells us to be selecting in who we engage, as we don't want to telegraph our presence - right after we've buzzed the place in two helicopters and then landed on a bluff overlooking the houses. Carter then tells us to enter the house, but to "go in quiet". We get through the house and find Jorge has landed his Falcon right outside the door.

Every mission is packed to the gills with those kinds of moments.
Hahaha. OK, when you put it like that its kindof hilarious. And I never did understand why you just fly right through the EMP.

Top Bottom