• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Booties

Banned
MrBig said:
You might want to borrow a disc if it can't read any maps, because it can't install them to the HDD if it can't read them. Then you can just have your own disc in the tray and it'll just be checking to make sure that it is Reach in there and turn off the drive.

As it's sitting in there now it reads everything fine. I'm going to try and download it and if it works cancel my order if it isn't too late.

e; now i just got a "this disc is unreadable" error. screw it. 30 bucks isnt' a lot of money

VVV tashi, headphones? i got the px5 and they are ridiculous. expensive, but worth it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
These PC 350's are godly. Man, I can't believe how much better they are than my HD 555's. They're much more crisp. Guns sound so different. The biggest difference is the directional audio. You know exactly where shots are coming from and where grenades explode. Amazing.

Tashi0106 said:
These PC 350's are godly. Man, I can't believe how much better they are than my HD 555's. They're much more crisp. Guns sound so different. The biggest difference is the directional audio. You know exactly where shots are coming from and where grenades explode. Amazing.

How do you have them hooked up ATM?

Dax01 said:
Really? I never noticed it in Halo 3.

Probably because the grenades weren't nuclear in Halo 3. You definately could though; I remember sniping many a nade in octagon's. What you couldn't do was shoot stationary grenades on the ground to make them explode, which you can in Reach.

Tashi

The Real Napsta said:
How do you have them hooked up ATM?

Well I play on a monitor through VGA so I have the Red & White stereo cables coming to a 3.5mm converter. The sound is connected to that and the microphone part is connected to a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter to my controller. I'm going to order the Astro Mixamp this weekend.

edit: It's a very sloppy, temporary setup at the moment.

MrBig

Tashi0106 said:
Well I play on a monitor through VGA so I have the Red & White stereo cables coming to a 3.5mm converter. The sound is connected to that and the microphone part is connected to a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter to my controller. I'm going to order the Astro Mixamp this weekend.
Once you get an amp it will almost be like getting a whole new pair of headphones. The difference is astounding, to say the least.

I have HDMI from my laptop and 360 going to my TV, and then optical coming from the TV to my receiver/amp with my ATH-M50's hooked up via a 3.5 mm jack. I have never listened to anything more lucid, myself.

thee henery said:
Probably because the grenades weren't nuclear in Halo 3. You definately could though; I remember sniping many a nade in octagon's. What you couldn't do was shoot stationary grenades on the ground to make them explode, which you can in Reach.
That's probably why I don't remember it being in Halo 3.

Detox

Another thing about Reach is you can't really get the clutch multikills with the DMR. This is due to bloom and the speed of players. Watching Tashi's montages he usually gets the multikills with the sniper.

Tashi

I think my new headset setup is messing with my controllers. While my controllers are old and janky (new one on the way) it keeps disconnecting in the middle of the games. I really need to get this Mixamp right away.

GhaleonEB said:
This is a tangent, but the Plasma Pistol over charge can be shot out of the air as well. Quite often in Firefight an Elite with a Concussion Rifle will deflect the overcharge with it. It always catches me off guard when that happens. I once had a shootout with an Elite who blocked four of them in a row and went on to kill me when the PP ran out of juice; meant to take a clip of it at the time and forgot.

Didn't know that, pretty cool.

Tawpgun

May I ask when the FUCK bungie is going to fix Invasion?

Hell Arena was a flop but that doesn't mean you can't salvage Invasion.

First of all, either balance Invasion Slayer and get rid of it. Why the hell did you nerf the elites in the first place. Covenant Vehicles and Weaponry are inferior to Humans in almost every aspect.

Pistol Start >>>>> P Pistol Start

DMR = Nerfle more or less. That's fairly balanced.

Rockets(infantry)/Laser >>>>>> Plasma Launcher

Sniper Rifle >>>>>> Focus Rifle

Warthog >>>>>> Ghost (Revenant doesn't spawn in Invasion Slayer. Lol.)

Scorp >>>>>>>>>>>>> Wraith

Covenant Gets a banshee in a lucky drop. Humans spawn with DMR's on open maps. gg banshee.

AND THEN REGULAR INVASION.

Not a fan of regular invasion Boneyard either.

AND THEN.

AND. THEN.

I realized why Objective is so barren. AR Starts? Really?

HAGDHjhsgadhjas so many things wrong with this game and the changes are coming at a snails pace.

/rant

feel

Tashi0106 said:
I think my new headset setup is messing with my controllers. While my controllers are old and janky (new one on the way) it keeps disconnecting in the middle of the games. I really need to get this Mixamp right away.
Don't know what you're using right now, but don't be afraid of sticking to wireless for the mixamp, it works on 5.8 GHz. No interference issues, and sounds incredible.

Steelyuhas said:
Didn't know that, pretty cool.
Yet another reason those concussion rifles are pure evil in the hands of the covenant. Those things have caused me no end of deaths.

And I'll just defer to higher level players when it comes to bloom, but for my part I not only have no problems with it, I actually like the mechanic (although Ghaleon's point about it leading to longer range skirmishes is well taken). The "chance" people speak of has never been so much as to make a dramatic difference in my games, but I don't play nearly as much versus as folks here so I'll leave it at that.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I agree with your sentiments on Invasion Slayer, but Tunavi and I have been having amazing games in Invasion this week.

Also, I don't agree with this.

Sniper Rifle >>>>>> Focus Rifle
The ability to suppress enemies and the ease of up-close shooting with the Focus Rifle makes it slightly less than or equal to the Sniper Rifle.

It's definitely my favorite new weapon in Reach.

Havok

A27 Tawpgun said:
Invasion has a greater host of issues than the ones that exist in Invasion Slayer. 30 to 45 second Scorpion/Banshee spawn timers on Boneyard, the most moronic and infuriating spawn system (0...0....0...0....0....still 0...spawn) ever put into a game, and power weapon gauntlet final phases on all maps. I really like Invasion, but the total lack of quality maps and inexplicable gametype variant design decisions ruin it for me.
Hitmonchan107 said:
The ability to suppress enemies and the ease of up-close shooting with the Focus Rifle makes it slightly less than or equal to the Sniper Rifle.
You know what else suppresses enemies? One-shotting them in the damn head, something that puts the Spartan team leagues ahead of the Elite team with their massive heads, no matter what intangible qualities their analogous weapons may or may not have.

just playing some halo 3. It feels more plodding than I remember.

Reach may be slower, but I like the momentum that Spartans seem to have now. It feels smoother and more consistent.

Hopefully the next game can combine the movement feel, with a faster default.

maybe I should play more MLG.
if I want to go negative every game

Tawpgun

Havok said:
Invasion has a greater host of issues than the ones that exist in Invasion Slayer. 30 to 45 second Scorpion/Banshee spawn timers on Boneyard, the most moronic and infuriating spawn system (0...0....0...0....0....still 0...spawn) ever put into a game, and power weapon gauntlet final phases on all maps. I really like Invasion, but the total lack of quality maps and inexplicable gametype variant design decisions ruin it for me.

You know what else suppresses enemies? One-shotting them in the damn head, something that puts the Spartan team leagues ahead of the Elite team with their massive heads, no matter what intangible qualities their analogous weapons may or may not have.

This.

I would take a sniper rifle over the focus in nearly every situation. I'm much more afraid of a sniper than a focus rifle. I can still run between cover with a focus on me. I can't do that with a good sniper. And hell, half the time before I kill a guy close range with it im close or at no shields from his DMR spam.

Elites are just absolutely at a disadvantage in almost every scenario.

I enjoy Invasion Spire. I enjoy Invasion Breakpoint.

Invasion Boneyard though, don't like at ALL.

Hitmonchan107 said:

It's definitely my favorite new weapon in Reach.

If they retain only one weapon from Reach for Halo 4, I personally hope it's the grenade launcher: it's quite skillful to use, is perfectly balanced in terms of its power and has two methods of deployment which is pretty unique within the sandbox. The focus rifle would be a near second but one thing negates that hope for me... GIMME BACK DAT BEAM RIFLE.

A27 Tawpgun said:
This.

I would take a sniper rifle over the focus in nearly every situation. I'm much more afraid of a sniper than a focus rifle. I can still run between cover with a focus on me. I can't do that with a good sniper. And hell, half the time before I kill a guy close range with it im close or at no shields from his DMR spam.

Elites are just absolutely at a disadvantage in almost every scenario.

I enjoy Invasion Spire. I enjoy Invasion Breakpoint.

Invasion Boneyard though, don't like at ALL.

Haha Topgun you usually hold in your rants better.

I would like an explanation as to why the changes are slow, personally.

thee henery said:
If they retain only one weapon from Reach for Halo 4, I personally hope it's the grenade launcher: it's quite skillful to use, is perfectly balanced in terms of its power and has two methods of deployment which is pretty unique within the sandbox. The focus rifle would be a near second but one thing negates that hope for me... GIMME BACK DAT BEAM RIFLE.
Speaking of this...

Tunavi, Tawpgun or Juices, if you guys are on Reach, could you clip out the ridiculous grenade launcher kill I had on Uncaged? I believe it's from this game.

I'm at work until 2 a.m. (four more hours).

If not, that's cool. I just want to see it again.

Tawpgun

minasodaboy said:
just playing some halo 3. It feels more plodding than I remember.

Reach may be slower, but I like the momentum that Spartans seem to have now. It feels smoother and more consistent.

Hopefully the next game can combine the movement feel, with a faster default.

maybe I should play more MLG.
if I want to go negative every game
Oh god no. Please no. I would take the default movement speed of Reach in the next Halo if I can just get rid of the momentum system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51bFbUe5TFA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvIh3cvRruQ&feature=related

You can NOT do this in Reach. Reach's momentum stops you from making quick, jerky movements and jumping away at an angle. It's more realistic, and "looks" better, but honestly it feels like I'm trying to strafe in mud in Reach.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Oh god no. Please no. I would take the default movement speed of Reach in the next Halo if I can just get rid of the momentum system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51bFbUe5TFA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvIh3cvRruQ&feature=related

You can NOT do this in Reach. Reach's momentum stops you from making quick, jerky movements and jumping away at an angle. It's more realistic, and "looks" better, but honestly it feels like I'm trying to strafe in mud in Reach.
Ayup. Back in the Reach beta days, during the early access period, I posted a lot about how Reach didn't feel like a Halo game. The movement speed and jump height were part of it, but the biggest was the weight that the player has, reducing agility. All three aspects were improved from the beta to the shipping game, but I really wish I was as agile as past Halo games. (It's also one reason I think grenades are more dangerous; it's a bit harder to get out of the way when you have to change directions.)

GhaleonEB said:
Ayup. Back in the Reach beta days, during the early access period, I posted a lot about how Reach didn't feel like a Halo game. The movement speed and jump height were part of it, but the biggest was the weight that the player has, reducing agility. All three aspects were improved from the beta to the shipping game, but I really wish I was as agile as past Halo games. (It's also one reason I think grenades are more dangerous; it's a bit harder to get out of the way when you have to change directions.)

I totally agree with this. How some of these things did not get picked up. Sure the momentum system looks better, but it makes it so much easier for people to kill you, and with grenades being so godly...

A27 Tawpgun said:
Oh god no. Please no....
I totally agree (I know, I know), the jumping and speed is what I love about Halo as well. I just like how fluid the actual steps feel in Reach. But I still wish they were faster and more agile.

I want it all!

Tashi0106 said:

You use a wireless? or is it overloading your wired? Use the guide to turn down the voice volume if that's the case. High voice volume is known to make controllers misfire when using non standard headsets.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:

I've been saying this also. Reach grenades in addition to the health system make them powerhouses. Halo CE grenades were also incredibly powerful. The catch? They had a longer fuse. You could get away from those handnukes. (P.S. whatever happened to that dust kick up effect? That was badass.) in Reach you move slower and have momentum. And the grenades have short fuses.

If 343 can bring back that freedom of movement it will be a step in the right direction. (seewhatIdidthere)

Then add a consistent default precision weapon. The Halo 3 BR was honestly perfect imo. It was never overpowered now that I think about it. It's just the rest of the non-powerweapon sandbox was weak and pointless.

Tashi

The Real Napsta said:
You use a wireless? or is it overloading your wired? Use the guide to turn down the voice volume if that's the case. High voice volume is known to make controllers misfire when using non standard headsets.
Ahhhhh I'll have to try that. I was using wireless controllers.

Booshka

minasodaboy said:
I totally agree (I know, I know), the jumping and speed is what I love about Halo as well. I just like how fluid the actual steps feel in Reach. But I still wish they were faster and more agile.

I want it all!
Halo CE has really fluid movement and great speed, the jumping is lower and takes a little getting used to with it's minuscule delay, but it has the best of both worlds. I never liked the way Halo 3 moved, felt a little sloppy. Halo 2 had great movement, but the magnetism was so strong you couldn't be as successful with crazy strafes like in Halo 1 and 3. You can also do some crafty quick crouching mid-strafe in Halo CE to throw off your opponent. I have seen and done a few great moves with that technique, it's especially good when your shields drop and they are aiming high for the headshot.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Then add a consistent default precision weapon. The Halo 3 BR
Oxymoron

Tawpgun

ONE MORE THING.

Bring back the melee duck from Halo 2. If you crouch before you melee your opponent would have missed the melee assuming he wasn't aiming at your crotch to begin with. Just cool little stuff like that.

Striker

A27 Tawpgun said:
Then add a consistent default precision weapon. The Halo 3 BR was honestly perfect imo. It was never overpowered now that I think about it. It's just the rest of the non-powerweapon sandbox was weak and pointless.
21n045g.jpg

Hey You

Kuroyume said:
I want to see 343 not even bother with Invasion for the next game. I don't find anything about it that's enjoyable.
I actually really enjoy Invasion. It has alot of potential IMO.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I've been saying this also. Reach grenades in addition to the health system make them powerhouses. Halo CE grenades were also incredibly powerful. The catch? They had a longer fuse. You could get away from those handnukes. (P.S. whatever happened to that dust kick up effect? That was badass.) in Reach you move slower and have momentum. And the grenades have short fuses.

If 343 can bring back that freedom of movement it will be a step in the right direction. (seewhatIdidthere)

As long as it is not over powered compared to all the OTHER weapons. Keep the needle rifle, I love that gun.

Tawpgun

Striker said:

Cool Ambiguous Reaction bro.

Why do you think thats silly? BR is OP, BR spread?

The spread is what kept its range in check, and I agree with Ghaleon's points the long distance reach combat.

As far as it being OP, I think its a case of the other weapons are underpowered.

Kuroyume

Banned
Hey You said:
I actually really enjoy Invasion. It has alot of potential IMO.

The only way I can see it improved would be if it was Spartans vs Spartans or Elites vs Elites. The multiple objective stuff is a fine idea and it works well in other games but the difference in weapons between the Elites and Spartans just feels unbalanced. Another thing you have to take into consideration is that they'll have to create maps for that gametype or at the least maps that would work well in both BTB and Invasion. We've already seen how its negatively impacted BTB in Reach. They have to take so many things into account now.

Small maps
Mid Size maps
BTB maps
Invasion Maps
Firefight Maps

Two of these should go away or at the very least one of them.

Kibbles

Jeez this thread has really been turned into a downer lately (not complaining though, these are legitimate complaints which need to be heard). E3 can't come soon enough.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Kuroyume said:
The only way I can see it improved would be if it was Spartans vs Spartans or Elites vs Elites. The multiple objective stuff is a fine idea and it works well in other games but the difference in weapons between the Elites and Spartans just feels unbalanced. Another thing you have to take into consideration is that they'll have to create maps for that gametype or at the least maps that would work well in both BTB and Invasion. We've already seen how its negatively impacted BTB in Reach. They have to take so many things into account now.

Small maps
Mid Size maps
BTB maps
Invasion Maps
Firefight Maps

Two of these should go away or at the very least one of them.

Or just focus on BTB which has established itself as an excellent large-scale battle environment for Halo, yeah?
In previous Halos, anyway

Yeah.

Tawpgun

I think if they expand upon it in forge it might show some promise. But don't make maps custom tailored to Invasion and then implement them in BTB. Make BTB maps and incorporate invasion into them.

Top Bottom