• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Ken

Tunavi said:
I've played Nightfall countless times and I still don't know what the point of that 'mission' is.

Oh god, please don't get me started about the story...
or lack there of :(
Noble Team gets sent in to investigate an area that goes dark to electronic surveillance equipment. The source of the cloak is from the pylon at the Powerhouse section of the mission. Once you sabotage it you're sent to find out what the Covenant are hiding and you end up finding part of their invasion force. In the end, Reach falls because all the marines were given ARs to fight against Banshees.

Tunavi said:
Halo is known for its wacky science fiction stories. Its about slipspace ruptures, mysterious ringworlds, intergalactic zombies, exploring strange structures, guerilla warfare, ect.

Reach was about a few soldiers walking across a farm, walking across another farm (at night this time - crazy plot twist!), driving through a canyon, blowing up an enemy ship, saving a bunch of meaningless civilians, flying though a destroyed city, playing firefight underground, then playing firefight in front of the Pillar of Autumn. Oh and the whole game you're just flipping magical switches that are supposed to save the war.

The story was just so safe. It was bland. Gross. Nothing happened.

fuck.

That wasn't the problem- it was supposed to be a sober, Saving Private Ryan type last stand. Outside of LNoS, you never were supposed to feel like you were winning. (Kudos on that level by the way Bungie, the closing cutscene of that level and the end of Lone Wolf are probably the only really effective emotional moments in the game)

The problem is is that the story feels tacked on and nonsensical, the characters are mostly bland and difficult to connect with ( the only one I gave a shit about was Jorge), the story pacing is AWFUL, and nothing. Is. Adequately. Explained.

Oh, and Ghaleon's points about bizarre tactical decisions. I actually never noticed how Carter's orders don't make sense in WC until just now, but now I'll never get it out of my head -_-

Ramirez

Tunavi said:
I did after this, but I don't care for MLG's map selection, it's pretty sparse. Just no real classics in this game. -_- I could have played MLG King on Construct all day long, win or lose...

Why you mocking me dawg

I'm STILL getting probation messages? WTF? Good grief, you drop out of 10 games total out of 2000 and they treat you like a criminal for days, nice.

Ken

Thagomizer said:
Oh, and Ghaleon's points about bizarre tactical decisions. I actually never noticed how Carter's orders don't make sense in WC until just now, but now I'll never get it out of my head -_-

I don't get why 2-3 Spartans have to avoid fighting a Scarab when 4 ODSTs or a single Spartan could take multiple Scarabs out in previous games.

Also, I think Jorge's decision to drive straight through the Spire's shield is so that he can show off his armor lock.

Tunavi

Banned
Ken said:
In the end, Reach falls because all the marines were given ARs to fight against Banshees
lol nice one
Ramirez said:
Why you mocking me dawg
I got mocked too, bro
Thagomizer said:
That wasn't the problem- it was supposed to be a sober, Saving Private Ryan type last stand. Outside of LNoS, you never were supposed to feel like you were winning. (Kudos on that level by the way Bungie, the closing cutscene of that level and the end of Lone Wolf are probably the only really effective emotional moments in the game)
Right, I never got that 'last stand' emotion from the story. I wanted to feel like I was really left for dead. It didn't feel like an apocalypse until New Alexandria.

Reach has also always been my favorite aspect about the story of Halo, ever since I first saw that first cutscene in Halo 1 "As for tracking us all the way from Reach, at light speed, my maneuvering options were limited." I thought how crazy that battle must have been. I pictured it in my head for years as the most intense war in history, thats why I was so fucking excited for reach.

And the one thing I was looking forward to most, going into this setting
eKEel.png

never even happened. :(

Tunavi

Banned
Also, there was so much potential to build the universe even more.

They missed the opportunity to show Master Chief meeting johnson above reach in orbit. They didn't show the famous "Keyes Loop." Where was Fred's squad defending the MAC generators? I wanted to see more of Buck, not just a "hey hello, just proving I was on Reach cause I talked about it so much in ODST, k bye." Show the Pillar of autumn on its way to Reach, show master chief destroying the map to Earth in the circumference. Echo 419? She was on the PoA. The arbiter (before he was the arbiter).

Fucking A Bungie, I know you're sick of making Halo games, but you didn't have to throw away everything about Halo when you created this game.

wwm0nkey

Worst part of the Halo: Reach was the very anti-climatic begining of the invasion

"The covenant is on Reach"

Oh well nothing to get excited about right?

Halo: Reach really should have just added extra paint on the canvas that The Fall of Reach painted and painted beautifully at that.

They should have cut the Spartan III's and made it about the Spartan II's dropping head first into the hell that Reach was at the time.

Ramirez

wwm0nkey said:
Worst part of the Halo: Reach was the very anti-climatic begining of the invasion

Halo: Reach really should have just added extra paint on the canvas that The Fall of Reach painted and painted beautifully at that.

lol, I always crack up at that line. "The Covenant is on Reach, I repeat the Covenant is on Reach." Sounds like he's reading a grocery list or something, no excitement at all...

Kat's death is the best though, just throw out the idea of a shield that you've beat over peoples heads for 5 games, 1 shot and done. I thought the NR took 6 to kill?

Tunavi

Banned
Ken said:
It's the skillful yet subtle exposition of Carter's back-story.
10/10 im cracking up right now
Ramirez said:
lol, I always crack up at that line. "The Covenant is on Reach, I repeat the Covenant is on Reach." Sounds like he's reading a grocery list or something, no excitement at all...
Milk....
Cheese....
The Covenant is on Reach............

wwm0nkey said:

They should have cut the Spartan III's and made it about the Spartan II's dropping head first into the hell that Reach was at the time.

That line sounded like a placeholder they forgot to replace. It sounded like he was telling his wife they were out of coffee.

Even worse than THAT, however, was him telling you that "it's the Covenant"- right after you just finished helping them kill a Covenant squad. I actually said "What the fuck?" out loud at my screen.

Ramirez said:

Kat's death is the best though, just throw out the idea of a shield that you've beat over peoples heads for 5 games, 1 shot and done. I thought the NR took 6 to kill?

I actually think that this was justified, but again, it wasn't explained or shown well enough.

They had just been hit by a massive EMP that also threw them around the room, while she wasn't wearing her helmet. The EMP probably knocked out their shields, but even if it hadn't, Kat was clearly wounded and disoriented- if you look closely, you can see that she misses the elevator button and then almost falls over.

However, this was extremely quick and easily missed. They could have fixed the scene by having someone say "EMP's knocked out the shields, keep an eye out," but no.

Ken

Ramirez said:

One of the popular reasoning behind it is that the Covenant ship's plasma shot right before her death caused their shields to malfunction. Since they are using older technology, it wouldn't be surprising (to me) that they'd have to return to some base to fix their shields before heading back to Sword Base.

I like to believe the Zealot used some kind of special Needle Rifle x Beam Rifle weapon.

wwm0nkey

Thagomizer said:
That line sounded like a placeholder they forgot to replace. It sounded like he was telling his wife they were out of coffee.

Even worse than THAT, however, was him telling you that it was the Covenant- right after you just finished helping them kill a Covenant squad. I actually said "What the fuck?" out loud at my screen.
I actually think that is the case, there are a few new advertisements on our Kiosk at GameStop that have the line replaced.

Still though man there are just some things that the Halo: Reach Campaign could have done and I HATED how they altered stuff from the books like Halsey being somewhere where she was not supposed to be at all. The Fall of Reach was one of my favorite Sci-fi books and playing Reach was like watching a movie that changes major plot lines from the book. They didnt even have to change it either :/

Ken said:
One of the popular reasoning behind it is that the Covenant ship's plasma shot right before her death caused their shields to malfunction. Since they are using older technology, it wouldn't be surprising (to me) that they'd have to return to some base to fix their shields before heading back to Sword Base.

I like to believe the Zealot used some kind of special Needle Rifle x Beam Rifle weapon.

On her character sheet it says she is prone to being forgetful. Another idea is that in the hectic escape cause by the glassing she forgot to active her shields.

Ramirez

I think you know you've failed when the community has to come up with some fan fiction to fill in as to why her shields weren't working.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ramirez said:
I think you know you've failed when the community has to come up with some fan fiction to fill in as to why her shields weren't working.
Cheer up, big man. This whole valley just turned into a free fire zone.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
It was a beam rifle shot, bro!

Plywood said:
Wtf is your avatar? I preferred your GoT one. :(

Thagomizer said:
I actually think that this was justified, but again, it wasn't explained or shown well enough.

They had just been hit by a massive EMP that also threw them around the room, while she wasn't wearing her helmet. The EMP probably knocked out their shields, but even if it hadn't, Kat was clearly wounded and disoriented- if you look closely, you can see that she misses the elevator button and then almost falls over.

However, this was extremely quick and easily missed. They could have fixed the scene by having someone say "EMP's knocked out the shields, keep an eye out," but no.
All they needed to do was show their shields pop and crackling from the EMP. A moment longer to show the zealot who shot her would've sealed the deal.

After watching the legendary video I do feel for what Bungie managed to accomplish with Reach. A fuckton of effort went into that end product, and it wasn't just small evolutions to Halo 3. To think they had a working prototype of a drivable scarab that you would use to travel through the ruins of New Alexandria (right after Kat was killed), only to scrap it. The Guta (sp?), those huge lumbering beasts? Once mounted by grunts, then elites, with spit weapons, and arm cannons, all to end up in one small scene in Nightfall. Gah. Just to consider all of the stuff that was cut would drive me bonkers.

I would've loved a playable version of the Fall of Reach novel, but what we got was still pretty damn special.

Plywood said:

That actually reminds me that Noble Team's random chatter is really limited. Jorge has like 10 lines. It was weird when I was assaulting the Spire and he said something about dead civilians.

Um, where? There isn't a dead civvie on this map, bro.

Striker

Ramirez said:
Wasn't that Corporal Travis? I think he also said a few seconds later, "... I cannot hold this position any longer", and the lack of emotion in his voice acting just angers me.

Best thing about the campaign was hearing Capt. Keyes again. Only really awesome thing to listen to since hearing the voice acting of the Halo 2 Prophet of Truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T383fCqQSU8&feature=player_detailpage#t=318s

Striker said:
Wasn't that Corporal Travis? I think he also said a few seconds later, "... I cannot hold this position any longer", and the lack of emotion in his voice acting just angers me.

Best thing about the campaign was hearing Capt. Keyes again. Only really awesome thing to listen to since hearing the voice acting of the Halo 2 Prophet of Truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T383fCqQSU8&feature=player_detailpage#t=318s

UGH, don't even get me STARTED about how they fucked up Truth's character from 2 to 3.

It STILL irritates me whenever I think about it.

Ken

UltimaPooh said:
On her character sheet it says she is prone to being forgetful. Another idea is that in the hectic escape cause by the glassing she forgot to active her shields.

I have a hard time believing that the technology in their multi-billion credit armor lacks an automatic-reset function for something as vital as their shielding.

Watching the cutscene again on Youtube, there's no shield effect going off with the shot going through her head so it's definitely not functioning. There's also no evidence that the other Spartan's shields were working either so it might not be that she died due to forgetfulness.

Of course, all this confusion as to whether or not their shields were working could be cleared up if they perhaps made the little lights on their armor blink differently to indicate their shields are off or something.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Trasher said:
It was a beam rifle shot, bro!

Wtf is your avatar? I preferred your GoT one. :(
Daenerys/Khaleesi is for times of war.

Currently I am HNNG-ING from Tomb Raider trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN7_8Yholm4
Ramirez said:
Hey, Emile offered the only dudebro fist pump worthy moment in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjq1ZvEecRM&t=1m0s

I'M READY, HOW BOUT YOU!

WOO
His best moment. Shame they barely even used any of the characters.
Thagomizer said:
That actually reminds me that Noble Team's random chatter is really limited. Jorge has like 10 lines. It was weird when I was assaulting the Spire and he said something about dead civilians.

Um, where? There isn't a dead civvie on this map, bro.
They're all really underused.

Ken said:
I have a hard time believing that the technology in their multi-billion credit armor lacks an automatic-reset function for something as vital as their shielding.

Watching the cutscene again on Youtube, there's no shield effect going off with the shot going through her head so it's definitely not functioning. There's also no evidence that the other Spartan's shields were working either so it might not be that she died due to forgetfulness.

Of course, all this confusion as to whether or not their shields were working could be cleared up if they perhaps made the little lights on their armor blink differently to indicate their shields are off or something.

Shields do recharge when they are up. Remember they all had their helmets off before leaving that room and going down the elevator. Their shield's wouldn't be up at the time.

Ken

UltimaPooh said:
Shields do recharge when they are up. Remember they all had their helmets off before leaving that room and going down the elevator. Their shield's wouldn't be up at the time.

But how do you know that any of their shields were up at all at any point after the explosion until the end of the cutscene?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Ram, Nutter, where y'all at? Me and Dani and Nightshade are on.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Steelyuhas said:
When you play the Game of Faps, you fap or you die.
Then I am already dead. Rest assured, I will win the Iron Throne in this life or the next.
Trasher said:
Hellz yeah!
people gonna fap to Dany, bro!
With all that blood? Eh, whatever works.

Botolf said:
That'd be one pretty significant benefit of a Bungie-Valve collab, Valve's got a kickass writing corps.

Don't say things like that man, my heart can't take it

that'd seriously be the best thing ever. Will never happen, but so cooooll

GhaleonEB

I present, a study in contrasts. The opening moments really cracked me up. (Note, he had host; I was lagging a lot which is why my close quarters shot are off.)

He'd seen me board and take down three Wraiths just as they dropped, but I do it from behind (it's better that way). He sort of had the right idea...

The rest of the game played out like this.

I've never played with someone so inept, I actually started feeling sorry for him. At one point he strategically placed himself in the far right corner of the map at the start of a round. Right next to a fusion core. I just stood there watching and waiting for him to get launched when a round from the drop ship lit it up.

Top Bottom