• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Nutter

Trasher said:

145681.jpg

Sibylus

Banned
Thagomizer said:
Don't say things like that man, my heart can't take it

that'd seriously be the best thing ever. Will never happen, but so cooooll
Just saying what we've all thought at one point or another ;D

kylej

Banned
You don't truly appreciate how broken the jetpack is until you play people who are competent with it. Juices, Booties, Eazy and myself got matched up against these 1% Onyx fruits who used nothing but the jetpack, and who voted for Reflection and Uncaged over Boardwalk and Enclosed solely because they wanted to float around like goddamn hot air balloon scrubs.

I honestly don't think I fought one of them in a 1 on 1 DMR battle, the entire Reflection game I was getting naded from impossible directions or getting group jetpack shot by people floating around. Why the fuck would you allow jetpacks on a map that was never designed with jetpacks in mind? What the fuck? I quit out of the Cage game right at the start because I didn't feel like getting crapped on in that grey monstrosity by a bunch of chunky wannabees. If I get beat by kids who outplay me, fine. Maybe jetpacking should be considered just part of the game too, I dunno. I just think it's goddamn horseshit.

FRAAAAAAAAAANKIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
Almost none of the mission story telling - the bits within the missions that set up the encounters - make any sense in Reach. There are some flaws to the overall story telling, but I like a lot of how it's told. But the way battles are set up...are just unrelentingly nonsensical.
It seems to me that they just set up firefight encounters for a lot of the game and that's what detracts from it for me. I understand that it's an invasion and they would be hot dropping troops, but the way it's done is completely nonstrategic. Most of the other encounters are great battles, designed to be a challenge, and have a hierarchy. I don't think someone as advanced as the covenant would waste troops by repeated dropping them in at the same spot over and over again until they run out of guys.

And like I believe Dax(?) said in the playthrough, this planet is the height of UNSC military power and production. Where are the workers on boneyard, even if its just bodies? Why is the docking port for some of the most expensive pieces of technology the UNSC has ever created so run down? It all just seems so dead.
And I'm that I just don't know about this, but wouldn't reach have a battery of orbital MAC guns similar to Earth? The planet would be worth more than Earth in terms of resources and technology.

MrBig said:
And like I believe Dax(?) said in the playthrough, this planet is the height of UNSC military power and production. Where are the workers on boneyard, even if its just bodies? Why is the docking port for some of the most expensive pieces of technology the UNSC has ever created so run down? It all just seems so dead.
And I'm that I just don't know about this, but wouldn't reach have a battery of orbital MAC guns similar to Earth? The planet would be worth more than Earth in terms of resources and technology.
In the novel, Reach had a shit-ton of Super MAC guns orbiting around it. The Covenant specifically hot-dropped troops onto the planet's surface to disable their planetary generators, because they were tearing the Covenant fleet into shreds.

Of course, they're nowhere to be seen in the game. My personal opinion is that Reach is only 'partly' canon: I prefer to stick to some of the explanations seen in the 'Fall of Reach'. I basically disregard most of the dates we see in the game itself: the battle for Reach started around August 30th in the book, not July 20-something.

Have 'Winter Contingency' and 'ONI: Sword Base' (preferably without Halsey) take place on August 28th. Nightfall takes place at night, from August 28th to August 29th. 'Tip of The Spear' takes place on August 29th. 'Long Night of Solace' starts in the afternoon of August 29th, with the space section taking place mostly at night. The arrival of the fleet in LNoS then coincides with the arrival of the fleet in TFoR. The Covenant start wiping everyone out. The Pillar of Autumn leaves as Six is hurtling towards the surface. Evacuation efforts are still going on in some of the major cities, while the Covenant start glassing the planet ('Exodus' and 'New Alexandria'). Noble goes back to Sword Base, which they're supposed to destroy.

From here, I just scrap everything that happens in the game. Most of Noble still dies, but the events of 'The Pillar of Autumn' never take place, as it's supposedly long-gone by then. Shit, if you want to keep most of Reach's story intact, let somebody else give Six the A.I. fragment with Forerunner research data, give him/her the "This could save us all"-speech, and then have them fight their way 'In Amber Clad' or 'Forward Unto Dawn' instead of the PoA. Carter still dies in his Pelican, Emile still gets stabbed in the back. Six still mans the MAC gun to protect the IAC/FUD as it leaves the planet with the research data. You could've even thrown in Miranda Keyes if you'd wanted to.

There, Reach rewritten without completely screwing with the established canon. Some stuff still has to be retconned, like the Mark V armor only going into service in 2552, but most of the story is intact. The way Reach casually gave the finger to the books I invested time in buying and reading to increase my understanding of the story just pisses me off a bit. :lol

/rant.

Sibylus

Banned
Reach seems like a pretty good example of writing oneself into a corner, and lacking the time to adequately write oneself out.

I take an "A canon, B canon" attitude to the series regardless of the intention to create a unified canon, because this sort of thing almost seems inevitable. If material in the novels is drawn into the games, it's as much gospel as anything else there, but it's little more than extended universe speculation otherwise.

Booties

Banned
kylej said:
You don't truly appreciate how broken the jetpack is until you play people who are competent with it. Juices, Booties, Eazy and myself got matched up against these 1% Onyx fruits who used nothing but the jetpack, and who voted for Reflection and Uncaged over Boardwalk and Enclosed solely because they wanted to float around like goddamn hot air balloon scrubs.

I honestly don't think I fought one of them in a 1 on 1 DMR battle, the entire Reflection game I was getting naded from impossible directions or getting group jetpack shot by people floating around. Why the fuck would you allow jetpacks on a map that was never designed with jetpacks in mind? What the fuck? I quit out of the Cage game right at the start because I didn't feel like getting crapped on in that grey monstrosity by a bunch of chunky wannabees. If I get beat by kids who outplay me, fine. Maybe jetpacking should be considered just part of the game too, I dunno. I just think it's goddamn horseshit.

FRAAAAAAAAAANKIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

NOT MY MLG

kylej

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Jetpack works in MLG, I don't think it's broken. It just isn't implemented correctly.

Sure, but asking Bungie to implement something correctly is like pissing in the wind.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'd prefer Reach being cannon and Fall of Reach being altered, which is what is happening anyway. The Orbital Defense Generator battle takes place on Highlands (downed Pelican), if you observe the promotional material. And if Fall of Reach were cannon, Reach falls in a day. I much prefer Reach's ground battles leading to a full Covenant Invasion force.

And I'd take the game over some 80 pages in FoR anyway. The book is primarily intended as a Spartan-II backstory.

Let me just say that, from a gameplay standpoint, The Pillar of Autumn (Reach) is my favorite finale level out of any Halo game. I really like it in that regard. There's so much you can do with the sandbox in this level (Boneyard battle). I also liked seeing Keyes no matter what the circumstance.
Thagomizer said:
Um, yeah, that's what Jorge was just shitting his pants over a second ago? Really?
Also, the sound the MAC rounds make in Reach is underwhelming. From what I read in the books (and the sounds they make in Halo 3), they're suppose to sound like HUGE cannons that go BA-BOOM! that rattle your teeth to the core.
NullPointer said:
The setup and execution of Long Night of Solace was very well done. The slipspace rupture idea was cool, fighting your way to the Sabre facility, disabling and then hijacking a covenant cruiser, Jorge looking frightfully peaceful in his imminent demise, and then watching a spehere of nothingness split a capital ship in two as you hurtled back towards Reach.

Perfect.
I got some problems with LNoS as well. For one, why don't any of the Super MAC cannons just take out the Covenant cruiser? Early on, Dot says that 60% of the UNSC fleet is en-route to Reach. Except Reach is suppose to have anywhere between 100 and 150 ships around it at all times. Also, I don't understand how the Covenant cruiser doesn't see you boarding the ship given how close you are to it when you're on the bridge. Also, should Corvettes have shields?
Lyphen said:
I'd prefer Reach being cannon and Fall of Reach being altered, which is what is happening anyway. The Orbital Defense Generator battle takes place on Highlands (downed Pelican), if you observe the promotional material. And if Fall of Reach were cannon, Reach falls in a day. I much prefer Reach's ground battles leading to a full Covenant Invasion force.

And I'd take the game over some 80 pages in FoR anyway. The book is primarily intended as a Spartan-II backstory.
The Fall of Reach was portrayed a lot better in the book than in the game. And I mean a lot. It's nothing but a shame that Halo: Reach takes priority story-wise.

Lyphen said:
I'd prefer Reach being cannon and Fall of Reach being altered, which is what is happening anyway. The Orbital Defense Generator battle takes place on Highlands (downed Pelican), if you observe the promotional material. And if Fall of Reach were cannon, Reach falls in a day. I much prefer Reach's ground battles leading to a full Covenant Invasion force
I'm the opposite. If you have an established canon, the least you can do is follow it. If you don't, the fans shouldn't adjust because you wanted to tell a story with the Pillar of Autumn in it.

In any case, though, the space battle for Reach started on August 30th. You can definitely reconcile that with there being ground battles beforehand, just not a whole freakin' month. It's also easily possible to carry the battle on past august 30th, as the only POV's we have from that time are a few Spartan-II's holed up in a cave. With what we know about planet glassing, there definitely could've been more going on. The way Bungie handled the story in Reach has made me wary of the future of the series. I hope 343 can prove they're more up to the challenge of maintaining canon than Bungie was.

Also, it's 'canon'. This is a cannon:

IGo9bm.jpg

Dax01 said:
The Fall of Reach was portrayed a lot better in the book than in the game. And I mean a lot. It's nothing but a shame that Halo: Reach takes priority story-wise.
FPupf.gif

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I guess being a Mass Effect, Star Wars and Star Trek fan, and infrequent comic book reader has helped me see that canon isn't important, as it'll always get fudged up. So it's best not to be fervently invested in it.

You'll come to see it like I do. And you can only hope 343i did a decent job on the Definitive Edition of FoR.

Lyphen said:
I guess being a Mass Effect, Star Wars and Star Trek fan, and infrequent comic book reader has helped me see that canon isn't important, as it'll always get fudged up. So it's best not to be fervently invested in it.

You'll come to see it like I do.
How does Star Trek fit into that? None of the ST books are canon; only what happens on the screen.

Lyphen said:

You'll come to see it like I do. And you can only hope 343i did a decent job on the Definitive Edition of FoR.
I'm a Mass Effect fan, too. BioWare (for the most part) did a much better job maintaining inner consistency than Bungie ever did.

Well, except for 'Evolution'. That never happened.

Sibylus

Banned
TFoR conveyed the scale of the battle really well, but I'm partial to Reach because it's a primary canonical source and there was a lot of potential with its familial group of characters, pity it didn't do much with it. Story: more ambition and more real-world testing to reel it in in the right places might be good.

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
That looks terrible. And that's not the Mark V.
Hey dont disagree but I mean it is a bit weird Square Enix is showing/revealing Halo: CE toys at E3 isnt it?

Hopefully the Envisioned by Square Enix means just that though lol

GhaleonEB

(Envisioned by Square Enix Products)​
Must have had a nasty fever when they had that particular vision. Yuck.

The plot does thicken, though.

Edit: I'd just like to note semi-randomly that I fucking love E3. It's the closest thing I get to feeling like Christmas is here as a kid.

Ken

Why is there no search restriction for "No Guests?"

Betrayed twice for a sniper and was never given the option to boot. Sigh.

wwm0nkey

Weird that they are using The Fall of Reach movie concept art for their booth render too.....wouldnt Microsoft have to have bought those to use them?

1220465275.jpg

Either way we are only days away from finding out :D (yeah we already know its the CE remake)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dax01 said:
How does Star Trek fit into that? None of the ST books are canon; only what happens on the screen.
That's just it though, Star Wars has G, T, C, and S levels of canon. Trek has an EU and two timelines. Comics have shattered timelines, alternate unverses, time travel and other junk. Mass Effect is being butchered as we speak by its own lead writer.

What happened to TFoR isn't midichlorian, Metroid: Other M or Superboy-Prime level stuff. It's the alteration of dates and some technology that were previously established in the very first extended content the game series ever had, ten years ago. Things change. If the Definitive Edition (second alteration in a year) is still contrary to the game, then we can throw tomatoes at 343i. For not doing their job right, and also for screwing with our wallets.

Dani said:
Badass.
Blue Ninja said:
Halo CEmake made by the Final Fantasy team confirmed.
That would be as bad as it not happening at all. Nay, worse. If there is any justice in the world, Square Enix will never lay hands on a Halo game.
Dani said:
E3 Booth Render...

http://i51.tinypic.com/oarfvm.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]
Weird. Why cover up all those screens with Halo concept art?

Edit:
[QUOTE=Lyphen]That's just it though, Star Wars has G, T, C, and S levels of canon. Trek has an EU and two timelines. Comics have shattered timelines, alternate unverses, time travel and other junk. Mass Effect is being butchered as we speak by its own lead writer.

What happened to TFoR isn't midichlorian, Metroid: Other M or Superboy-Prime level stuff. It's the alteration of dates and some technology that were previously established in the very first extended content the game series ever had, ten years ago. Things change. If the Definitive Edition (second alteration in a year) is still contrary to the game, then we can throw tomatoes at 343i. For not doing their job right, and also for screwing with our wallets.[/QUOTE]
I don't like investing my time into stories that end up not happening. I want 343i to be as consistent as possible, otherwise the stories lose all meaning and significance.

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
Badass.

That would be as bad as it not happening at all. Nay, worse. If there is any justice in the world, Square Enix will never lay hands on a Halo game.

They are probably just doing the figures

Also whats weird is that the concept art is from The Fall of Reach movie, really curious about that part.

GhaleonEB said:
Edit: I'd just like to note semi-randomly that I fucking love E3. It's the closest thing I get to feeling like Christmas is here as a kid.

Yeah E3 is just awesome. I can't wait for next week.

wwm0nkey said:
They are probably just doing the figures

Also whats weird is that the concept art is from The Fall of Reach movie, really curious about that part.
MS could be announcing that the next Halo game will be like the campaign of Black Ops and MGS4. You get to play a movie!
Hitmonchan107 said:
Is that what this is? It has 32 more pages than the last edition.
I never heard of the Definitive Edition until Lyphen mentioned it. Thirty-two more pages?

Looks like I'll be making another trip to Barnes and Noble on June 28th...

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
MS could be announcing that the next Halo game will be like the campaign of Black Ops and MGS4. You get to play a movie!
Wasnt there rumors like FOREVER ago about an Interactive Halo Movie? maybe that is what happened to The Fall of Reach movie :lol

Dax01 said:
You're a graphic designer tasked with rendering a proposed booth setup. You know Forza 4 will be the main focus, but beyond that you have absolutely no idea what Microsoft plans to show. You can't just slap an Xbox logo on every screen because that doesn't give a fair representation for how the booth will look in action.

So you decide to go with something from Xbox's most valuable franchise and dig up an old art asset that Microsoft owns but isn't connected to any existing game or property.

I seriously doubt the person making that render had any inside info on a Halo reveal.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hitmonchan107 said:
Is that what this is? It has 32 more pages than the last edition.
Yep. The first Halo Wars-style armor cover (2010 edition) was supposed to be prepped for Reach. It wasn't. Hopefully they've fixed the rest in this one. Wish E-Books would get updates like this gratis.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
You're a graphic designer tasked with rendering a proposed booth setup. You know Forza 4 will be the main focus, but beyond that you have absolutely no idea what Microsoft plans to show. You can't just slap an Xbox logo on every screen because that doesn't give a fair representation for how the booth will look in action.

So you decide to go with something from Xbox's most valuable franchise and dig up an old art asset that Microsoft owns but isn't connected to any existing game or property.

I seriously doubt the person making that render had any inside info on a Halo reveal.
And we've seen this same thing happen several times at other events. I wouldn't read too much into it either.

Just a few days until the presents get unwrapped.

Also, looking forward to the playlist update in the BWU today. In particular, the details about Firefight and the two player playlist.

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
Weird that they are using The Fall of Reach movie concept art for their booth render too.....wouldnt Microsoft have to have bought those to use them?

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/55/1220465275.jpg[IMG]

[/QUOTE]
The guy who made that render could have just google search "halo." That image isn't far from the top.

Lyphen said:
What happened to TFoR isn't midichlorian, Metroid: Other M or Superboy-Prime level stuff. It's the alteration of dates and some technology that were previously established in the very first extended content the game series ever had, ten years ago. Things change. If the Definitive Edition (second alteration in a year) is still contrary to the game, then we can throw tomatoes at 343i. For not doing their job right, and also for screwing with our wallets.
Another re-issue? Seems like they could've done that a year ago.

And the thing I liked about Halo canon up 'till now was how it all pretty much fit together. Reach, sadly, shattered that. :( Still, I'm interested in the new re-issue, though I won't be expecting much.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Goddammit, I was gonna say that. :lol

Schooly D

Ok, so, as far as I can tell, NeoGAF refuses to put up a 4-man team to challenge TSD. That's fine, and it's understandable given the supreme demolishing our team would have visited upon yours. Our "Train of Pain" as we call it will stop elsewhere.

Going forward, I think you should explicitly designate one person to be in charge of this kind of thing, so when someone challenges you, we don't get these wishy-washy replies and diffusion of responsibility.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm not sure we should stay in the same room anymore. :lol

Here's my one and only question: Is this your idea of a wake-up call?

Answer wisely.
Can't watch YouTube videos at work, but that better be the Planes, Trains, and Automobiles clip of "Those aren't pillows..."

Monday is going to be a looooong day at work. Reading about news but not being able to watch any videos...

Edit:
Schooly D said:
Ok, so, as far as I can tell, NeoGAF refuses to put up a 4-man team to challenge TSD. That's fine, and it's understandable given the supreme demolishing our team would have visited upon yours. Our "Train of Pain" as we call it will stop elsewhere.

Going forward, I think you should explicitly designate one person to be in charge of this kind of thing, so when someone challenges you, we don't get these wishy-washy replies and diffusion of responsibility.
Aww, snap! TSD calling you out, Super Team.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hitmonchan107 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txuWGoZF3ew
Schooly D said:
Learn to make an avatar then we'll care about your clan that didn't even belong in the community tournament.

Top Bottom