• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Before we head into E3, I want to share this business incorporation filing I found a month back.

Harold Ryan and Brandon Ward established Ripley/Liam Properties, LLC on April 15, 12 days before Bungie Aerospace. The address for the company is the same as the one for Bungie.

I have no idea who Brandon Ward is. If he's a Bungie employee, I couldn't find him in any directory.

There are five LinkedIn matches for Brandon Ward in the Seattle area, and I think two of those matches are plausible. The first is a senior gameplay designer at Sony Online Entertainment, and the second is a senior software engineer at TriGeo Network Security. The second Ward has an extensive work history with websites, so he might be helping out with whatever BungieAerospace.com is.

GhaleonEB

Steelyuhas said:
Second highest population right now: Living Dead! Awesome!
I can generally understand why something has a certain level of appeal, even if that thing does not appeal to me. But I cannot fathom Living Dead's popularity one iota.

At any rate, on b.net the stats right now are:

Living Dead: 9,828 Players

The Arena: 12,109 Players

That's a huge jump for Arena. The double jackpot playlists have been more successful than I thought they would be at encouraging players to shift playlists. (Heck, it got me to play Living Dead for a bit. :p)

GhaleonEB said:
I can generally understand why something has a certain level of appeal, even if that thing does not appeal to me. But I cannot fathom Living Dead's popularity one iota.

At any rate, on b.net the stats right now are:

Living Dead: 9,828 Players

The Arena: 12,109 Players

That's a huge jump for Arena. The double jackpot playlists have been more successful than I thought they would be at encouraging players to shift playlists. (Heck, it got me to play Living Dead for a bit. :p)

Yeah I really don't get the appeal to Living Dead either. I understand the draw, and am willing to play just about everything else in Reach's matchmaking offerings, but I cannot stand Living Dead.

The super jackpots are pretty successful for that weekend, but it doesn't hold as much population there like I thought it would. I thought that after Classic's super jackpot, the population was be higher, but it's back down to ~500 players right now.

GhaleonEB said:

I've got it: Double Jackpots for EVERY playlist! At the same time! Permanently!

If every playlist has 10,000 players Jeremiah will have to support them all, and Reach will be at the top of Major Nelson's XBL charts! Genius!

edit: /\ troll physics?

Striker said:
I don't remember Halo 1 or 2 filled with pickups everywhere. Two pickups max.
AAs= Armor Abilities. Sorry if that was unclear.

ncsuDuncan said:
You're going to love my article on AAs/Equipment. It's mostly finished, I just need to edit it and collect some pretty pictures. Also, I need to actually build the website I have in mind for these projects I keep starting...
:) I hope there's some hard, fast and realistic suggestions for making things better. The likes of which are so undeniable that upon having read it, the powers that be can not help but to run to their machines and spin some fixes into the queue for immediate deployment =P

Booshka

ncsuDuncan said:
I think my project tonight will be to set up gametypes/maps with AA pickups on the individual maps. Like MLG but with normal Reach movement/damage.

Are we doing GAF customs tomorrow?
I think the only damage change MLG does is put melee at 75%, which is brilliant. No more double beat down nonsense. With 75% you can actually shoot shields off then melee before they can beat you down. Or you can melee once then jump back and 2-shot them. I really like 75%, it's how the damage should be by default, especially with Reach having the no-bleed through mechanic.

Ramirez

Barrow Roll said:
You guys for serious? Just play his team, this shit talk is weak and makes GAF look cowardly.

Put a team together and roll out, I was lucky my wife allowed me to participate in the first one. :p

Account Attempt #4 said:
edit: /\ troll physics?
Haha, exactly.
:) I hope there's some hard, fast and realistic suggestions for making things better. The likes of which are so undeniable that upon having read it, the powers that be can not help but to run to their machines and spin some fixes into the queue for immediate deployment =P
Oh, I'm no Ghaleon. ;)
Booshka said:
I think the only damage change MLG does is put melee at 75%, which is brilliant.
As much as I like 75% melee I think the only hope for any level of adoption within the customs community is to keep it as close to "vanilla" Reach as possible.

Booshka

ncsuDuncan said:
As much as I like 75% melee I think the only hope for any level of adoption within the customs community is to keep it as close to "vanilla" Reach as possible.
Well, we can try both, from what I have read from the thread and playing with them in MM, it sounds like most are as frustrated with Melee's in Reach as I am, and 75% damage alleviates that problem a bit.

kylej

Banned
Booties said:
Oh and no arena for me today. Working late, probably crashing somewhere in the city. Tomorrow we go undefeated.

;_;

gonna miss u today, bb

Barrow Roll said:
You guys for serious? Just play his team, this shit talk is weak and makes GAF look cowardly.

I'll play that kid. Whoever wants to join me tonight and dump on kids in Arena then play those scrubs is free to do so.

Rant of the day post.

Grenades are awful in this game, I say it all the time, but it begs more attention.

The lines of sight on Asylum are so fucked. Did the person at Bungie that forged that map ever play Sanctuary?

Also, why you guys jetpack super high on Asylum over the middle of the map. Do they not realize how they can and will be shot from literally anywhere on the map when they do that?

I did get the super jackpot though :p

kylej

Banned
Dax01 said:
I'd like to see you take on his entire team...by yourself.

MLG on tonight, fresh Adderall, new Gunnars, new frame for my autographed Walshy portrait. Baby I'm gamin' tonight.

Schooly D said:
We can't do tonight, but do you want to schedule for Sunday night?

I'm playing Halo pretty much every night right now. Just send me an invite and I'll join whenever.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
This is my real hope for Reach, but I fear that ship has sailed. Tailoring load outs and game types for each map would be ideal in every playlist. But I wonder whether it can even be done; tweaks to game types aimed at single maps get the change applied across all of them (such was the case with some Firefight Arcade changes).

I would really like to see Reflection played without jetpacks. I loved how Ivory Tower flowed, and having dudes jetpack all over it sorta takes away from it.
I'm sure that whatever the case, there couldn't be anything stopping them from creating new gametypes and only having those on the corresponding maps (ex: Team Slayer Asylum is only paired with Asylum). That's a crude example, since maps can be grouped by similar restrictions placed on settings and armor abilities, but you get the gist of it. However, I will say that if this is the necessary course of action because gametypes can't be changed on a per map level...that's a big lack of foresight. Yeah, there are probably technical limitations. But it's also been three multiplayer-focused games since they started going down this path.

Tailored gametypes would be, at this point, the last possible saving grace for bringing the quality of the playlists up quickly, barring individual overhauls (which would likely take a year to get through at this rate).

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
I'm sure that whatever the case, there couldn't be anything stopping them from creating new gametypes and only having those on the corresponding maps (ex: Team Slayer Asylum is only paired with Asylum). That's a crude example, since maps can be grouped by similar restrictions placed on settings and armor abilities, but you get the gist of it. However, I will say that if this is the necessary course of action because gametypes can't be changed on a per map level...that's a big lack of foresight. Yeah, there are probably technical limitations. But it's also been three multiplayer-focused games since they started going down this path.

Tailored gametypes would be, at this point, the last possible saving grace for bringing the quality of the playlists up quickly, barring individual overhauls (which would likely take a year to get through at this rate).
One would think so. I would like to think the system is exactly as you describe, but it's puzzling to me why it's not managed that way.

Ramirez said:
Put a team together and roll out, I was lucky my wife allowed me to participate in the first one. :p
:lol

Sure, I'll play them. I haven't been on Reach for like a week though, I'm lovin Uncharted 2 too much right now but I can get on and at least play for honors sake!

Which of you will stand and fight?!

GhaleonEB

Steelyuhas said:

Various fixes to Firefight

Firefight Arcade gametypes now have a 20 minute time limit, enabled dropships for first and boss waves, updated Arcadefight loadouts

Firefight Limited no longer offers Jet Pack loadouts, enabled Betrayal Booting to prevent griefing (Friendly Fire remains off), enabled Grunt Birthday Party for bonus round

Nerfed Shootiness and Luck for custom skull in Skirmigeddon, the gametype was a little too painful​

YES.gif

All taken straight from the suggestions I made in the Cartographers forum. Thank, you, Jeremiah. :)

Edit:

•Drop Shield removed from all objective gametypes
•Armor Lock removed from Team Objective

Awww yeah.

I'll be living in Firefight Doubles from now on.

I'll miss the BWU's - or at least the Halo variations - but I'm already looking forward to Bungie Day. Bring on the new era. :)

Striker

- Outside removing Drop Shield and Armor Lock, the updates for Team Objective seems rather sparse. Would love if they did a map and gametype combination list they had for years on Halo 2. I believe Jeremiah mentioned it not being involved because of voting - I'm not absolutely sure.

- Not really sure the point of adding both Premium Slayer and Premium Battle is. Why not just make it one and support Slayer, CTF, and Assault? I'm assuming it's still 6v6 so the differences between them isn't necessarily large.

- New community maps, as well. Will have to Google those and check out...

Striker said:
- Not really sure the point of adding both Premium Slayer and Premium Battle is. Why not just make it one and support Slayer, CTF, and Assault? I'm assuming it's still 6v6 so the differences between them isn't necessarily large.
I'm assuming Slayer is 4v4 or 5v5 and Battle is 6v6 or 8v8. Although I could be completely wrong about that. I guess we'll see next week?

Looks like we won't be seeing any Destiny reveal on Bungie Day, but I'm still excited for the rest of the mysterious goodies.

ElRenoRaven

So the end of an Era is truly coming upon us now. I really hope the updates continue post Halo or at least come back when there is plenty of news. I always look forward to those on Fridays.

Also I can't wait to see what we'll have a chance to get our hands on. lol

Strange thought, Bungie without Halo. Ofcourse, we knew it for some time but to have a date put on it, feels weird

Some good changes for objectives though.

Havok

Striker said:
What, you don't think that essentially splitting an unpopular playlist (~700 players) into two separate playlists is a good idea? Seems like a strange decision, but I guess we are judging without any details on what exactly those playlists are.
Striker said:
Made by the guy that did Abridged. Looks to have just as much totally unnecessary space. Great!

Striker

Havok said:
What, you don't think that essentially splitting an unpopular playlist (~700 players) into two separate playlists is a good idea? Seems like a strange decision, but I guess we are judging without any details on what exactly those playlists are.
Yeah, and like I was going to say to Duncan, the details we've been given are rather minor. I wish we would know more about what changes exactly were made to Team Objective. Only lists are how it is similar to BTB, so that's assuming a heavy dosage of CTF and Assault; a map and gametype combo list would have been terrific in a txt doc or something. :(

Get on fool.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I'm looking forward to see Bungie leave Halo. Bungie's heart is in the far and distant skies and to know that the full team will now be entirely focused on their new future is enough to fill any fan with confidence in whatever it is they are making.

Similarly, 343i will no longer be behind the looking glass. They're going to have to step up and take ownership and play some hardball.

Double win really.

Crucio

Dani said:
I'm looking forward to see Bungie leave Halo. Bungie's heart is in the far and distant skies and to know that the full team will now be entirely focused on their new future is enough to fill any fan with confidence in whatever it is they are making.

Similarly, 343i will no longer be behind the looking glass. They're going to have to step up and take ownership and play some hardball.

Double win really.
There are epic times ahead! The mist is clearing on a new dawn!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
That's gonna be a whole lotta playlists.

And I don't understand why they the flag playlist will only be temporary. Part of the reason why I don't go into Team Objective is because of Crazy King, Stockpile, Hot Potato, 3 Plots and Headhunter.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:

Double win really.
Yup. I'm interested to see what 343 will be doing with Reach in terms of ongoing support: Challenges, title updates, DLC, playlist management, and so on. Will they initiate a Halo Weekly Update?

As for Bungie...I can't wait. I've been wanting to see what they were moving on to for years. Fun times ahead.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Schooly D said:
My bad. I thought you were stepping up and organizing a team. Guess not.
Why are you so interested in playing us?

You win, you're the best in the world. The greatest ever!! Satisfied?

Havok

Lyphen said:
That's gonna be a whole lotta playlists.

And I don't understand why they the flag playlist will only be temporary. Part of the reason why I don't go into Team Objective is because of Crazy King, Stockpile, Hot Potato, 3 Plots and Headhunter.
That's why they're updating Objective to cater to the core gametypes.

Tunavi

Banned
Sad this is the second to last Bungie monthly update.

Good to see Premium playlists, but will there be objective? Ugh, I really like 1-flag, neutral bomb, on DLC maps.

Tunavi said:
Sad this is the second to last Bungie monthly update.

Good to see Premium playlists, but will there be objective? Ugh, I really like 1-flag, neutral bomb, on DLC maps.
I imagine that's what Premium Battle is, no? Or does that imply bigger teams?

Top Bottom