• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Kuroyume said:
I just want to be be able to upload videos to a site for download on to a PC without a fee attached to it. Don't really care for most of the crap on Bungie.net.

That would be really difficult. You would need to download it off a site like Bungie. I guess you could save it to a flash drive, then the computer, but direct to PC would be rather hard.

MrBig

A27_StarWolf said:
That would be really difficult. You would need to download it off a site like Bungie. I guess you could save it to a flash drive, then the computer, but direct to PC would be rather hard.
He means without the cost associated with Bungie Pro.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
He means without the cost associated with Bungie Pro.
Hopefully Bungie's next publisher supports the feature. :p
A27 Tawpgun said:
Most of stuff is hardly used.
You might not, but I sure do. The new service record in particular I spend quite a bit of time sifting through.

We agree that there are other areas b.net can be improved in, but the notion that it hasn't been over time is patently absurd.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:

You might not, but I sure do. The new service record in particular I spend quite a bit of time sifting through.

We agree that there are other areas b.net can be improved in, but the notion that it hasn't been over time is patently absurd.

Well commendations have been useless imo, but the service record itself is nice. But I mean things like heatmaps. I fail to see how they can help me. I'm pretty sure I know where the power/death areas are on maps without Bungie's science telling me.

They need more things that will be widely used. Honestly, now is a good time to bring back the clan system. Imagine that they will have Ranked, Social, and Clan Arena. You have seasons and divisions and such in the Clan Arena. Party of 4 required.

Use Waypoint or whatever 343 will be using and help organize Halo events. Something to make the multiplayer experience feel a little more alive. 343 is a company DEDICATED to Halo. They should show even more support and community interaction that Bungie did.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
MrBig said:
There will be halo as a main event at the very least.

Nothing confirmed or even officially hinted at. If anything, 343i/Frankie have been strongly downplaying rumours for some time.

The only thing we have to go on is the fact that the CEmake rumours have persisted over the past few months, all from "anon." sources.

If there's no Halo at all at E3 we can't blame MS/343i for setting up false expectations.

blamite

nvm.

I'm hoping we see something. At the very least a new map pack directly made by 343 would be nice. Maybe they'll show of the Cryptum-related maps they've mentioned.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
blamite said:
Nothing as in they've revealed that they won't be revealing anything, or nope as in we don't know?

They haven't said a peep. Not a word. Haven't said they will be there or won't be there.

The only thing they've hyped up is PAX/Halofest. They have been banging that drum loud and clear for some time now whilst ignoring questions concerning E3.

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
Nothing confirmed or even officially hinted at. If anything, 343i/Frankie have been strongly downplaying rumours for some time.

The only thing we have to go on is the fact that the CEmake rumours have persisted over the past few months, all from "anon." sources.

If there's no Halo at all at E3 we can't blame MS/343i for setting up false expectations.
Pretty much, but hey who doesnt get their hopes up during E3 week? lol

Tunavi

Banned
My hopes for Platinum Battle
6v6
Breakpoint
Highlands
Tempest (Open Tunnels)
Condemned
Cyberdyne

DMR starts, 1-Flag, CTF, 1-Bomb, Neutral Bomb, Invasion (Breakpoint only), possibly Spartan Skirmish, possibly some Flagstravaganza variants like CTF Slayer if those turn out to be good.

I really REALLY hope E3 brings a new map pack announcement. I will spend 1200 points for 5 maps. 2 maps is a joke.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:
If you honestly think they're hyping up a PAX event, but won't have anything to show at E3...well...

Do you honestly think that I think like that?

3AQmK.gif

MrBig

Dani said:

I suppose you're right but I doubt they'd emblazon their official tags with something that's not going to be there.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
MrBig said:
I suppose you're right but I doubt they'd emblazon their official tags with something that's not going to be there.

Frankie dismissed the press tags as nothing more than marketing fluff. Wouldn't be surprised if 343i/Frankie was unaware of the tags until they were posted on the net.

Now if the tags had said Halo remake or anything to confirm the rumours it would be a different story. It was just branding/marketing fluff as Frankie suggested and I believe it.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Do you honestly think that I think like that?

3AQmK.gif
Aye. For PAX, they need to tell fans to come in advance. Not only don't they need to at E3, but they're not invited in the first place.

Also, I'm reasonably certain I could play Haloball, Hockey and Haloball Xtreme forever. Something about knocking those balls around is deeply satisfying.

Just had one hell of a comeback in Haloball Xtreme, going down something like 9-15, then winning 25-19. We got our shit together quick.

Booshka

Plywood said:
Stop with all the cheating you cheating cheater who cheats cheating.
I got banned from XBL for two weeks back in the H2 days for having my connection drop all the time. My modem was a piece of shit, so I would drop to Blue Screen and run into walls until I reconnected.

I would mostly play 1v1's because it was the most stable for me (obviously). Very frequently I would be leading games and lag intermittently. I was completely vulnerable, essentially getting stand-byed by my own Modem. I would come back from lag, and dominate the other player, then I would find a corner and prepare for the blue screen, I got good at predicting when it would drop me to blue screen.

I would get tons of angry messages that I was cheating, when really, they had a huge advantage. But, because I would still win I got cheating complaints and eventually got banned for it. Pretty hilarious.

Tunavi said:
Laser spawns on one side of breakpoint. Genius design...

How many times do I have to tell you that there is no such map in Reach?!?

Seriously though, why the hell is that not a neutral laser?!

zumphry

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:
Whoa, I hadn't seen this easter egg before:

http://i51.tinypic.com/142skn9.jpg

That's Jason Jones with the Minotaur boxes, right?

WHAT. Where is this?

Also, yes:

5o0Z4.jpg

Guess I just lost The Contest...:p

Dani said:
I'm looking forward to see Bungie leave Halo. Bungie's heart is in the far and distant skies and to know that the full team will now be entirely focused on their new future is enough to fill any fan with confidence in whatever it is they are making.

Similarly, 343i will no longer be behind the looking glass. They're going to have to step up and take ownership and play some hardball.

Double win really.

This.

Even though I do have some doubt about New IP/Destiny/Aerospace/Magical Mystery Tour, but that's just me.

GhaleonEB said:
I'll be living in Firefight Doubles from now on.

Also this.

Ramirez said:
lol, my modem reset and another ban headed my way. :( Sigh.
Ahem, gently ask your wife
like I do mine
to curtail uploading photos to facebook to pass the time while you play Halo. Slightly related: damn you Netflix instant on the iPad!

EDIT(also slightly related): *

Can someone put that asterisk next to our 'L' in the tournament bracket please?

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
Black Ops can render directly to YouTube. While I don't see this happening for Bungie's new IP because of the existence of their current system (which they likely make a profit from), I'm sure it'll be expanded on in the future. I'd guess greater tools to get the render process going from in-game, for starters.

On the topic of bnet features, what I'd like to see most from bnet feature expansion is more detail on the online friends widget they have. Currently it just has the game or application they're currently using, but adding the second and third lines that Xbox.com and the dashboard currently have would make me a happy camper (and it would mean I'd never have to visit xbox.com again, since it's one of the slowest sites to render that I've ever seen).

Steelyuhas said:
How many times do I have to tell you that there is no such map in Reach?!?

Seriously though, why the hell is that not a neutral laser?!
Because maps designed for Invasion are god awful when not playing vanilla Invasion, where they're at least acceptable? So many half-baked ideas, so little time.

Havok said:
Because maps designed for Invasion are god awful when not playing vanilla Invasion, where they're at least acceptable? So many half-baked ideas, so little time.

I actually think that Breakpoint is pretty decent for Big Team except for some really odd weapon placements, like that laser.

Keep in mind that decent for a Big Team map in Reach means its better than Paradiso. Did I just call Paradiso a map?

Trasher

Ramirez said:
His posts come off real jackass-ish, and it takes a lot to make me feel that way, heh.

We lost, bad, to a team that lost even worse to the people that won the tourney, beating a team and claiming 3rd place isn't going to change the fact that we crapped the bed against the other team, heh.

Are the other teams battling it out for 4th,5th,6th, etc. up to 30th place? :p
Well in most tournaments there is a third place game. SC2 does that a lot.

Also, we didn't shit the bed. You may have thought that cause you weren't in the games very long, but we actually were in each game to the very end. Even with people dying, like myself and Nutter, trying to invite you back to the game. :)

Edit: Also, who is Julie, and where can I get pics?

Havok

Steelyuhas said:
I actually think that Breakpoint is pretty decent for Big Team except for some really odd weapon placements, like that laser.

Keep in mind that decent for a Big Team map in Reach means its better than Paradiso. Did I just call Paradiso a map?
That's certainly setting a high quality bar (I know you made the joke already, but I can never get my fill of trashing Paradiso). I'd actually agree with you on Breakpoint, but decent is as high as I could go for many gametypes. It just suffers from some unfortunate carryovers from its Invasion roots - the rigid compartmentalization of the map, for one, and non-Invasion objective and weapon placements existing seemingly as afterthoughts, which brings problems like the laser to the forefront.

Somewhat related: I seem to remember urk mentioning a postmortem on Reach coming, is there any timetable on when that's going to happen? I would really love to see how their hindsight jives with the opinions of players (specifically the laundry list of issues, however minor, that is repeated ad infinitum in threads like this).

Tunavi

Banned
Pretty atrocious day of Halo for me. Ending it on a good note with some splockets/shotty snipes.

Its fun playing against people who think rockets > laser and shotty > sniper haha

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
Pretty atrocious day of Halo for me. Ending it on a good note with some splockets/shotty snipes.

Its fun playing against people who think rockets > laser and shotty > sniper haha
I played a game of Rocket Flag earlier tonight where all three of my team mates didn't realize it was neutral flag. They stayed on defense. :\

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Booshka said:
I got banned from XBL for two weeks back in the H2 days for having my connection drop all the time. My modem was a piece of shit, so I would drop to Blue Screen and run into walls until I reconnected.

I would mostly play 1v1's because it was the most stable for me (obviously). Very frequently I would be leading games and lag intermittently. I was completely vulnerable, essentially getting stand-byed by my own Modem. I would come back from lag, and dominate the other player, then I would find a corner and prepare for the blue screen, I got good at predicting when it would drop me to blue screen.

I would get tons of angry messages that I was cheating, when really, they had a huge advantage. But, because I would still win I got cheating complaints and eventually got banned for it. Pretty hilarious.
By hilarious, you mean incredibly frustrating experience?

Booshka

Plywood said:
By hilarious, you mean incredibly frustrating experience?
Retrospectively hilarious, but at the time it really didn't bother me as much as it should have. I mostly played on the weekends only back then too, so it wasn't as much of my time taken up to piss me off.

I even made a desperation thread on Bungie.net, got the usual, "STFU cheater!" responses, and a couple, "maybe you shouldn't play online until you get a better connection." The latter being the sensible response.

The worst thing about that period was that H2 was pretty much the only game I could play online, it was the only one that would reconnect you mid-game. I would have probably been playing a ton of other games, but when I lagged out in other games, I actually lagged out, and never came back to that game.

Ramirez

Hmm, I got my old modem out and direct connected it and didn't get dropped the rest of the night. I've had this router since Christmas though, and haven't changed any settings on it, I'm not sure why it would be giving me problems now. :|

Like it's not obvious by now, but...

"from the IGN's schedule

http://games.ign.com/articles/117/1172302p1.html

Tuesday, June 7th
Gears of War 3 (Campaign) | 5:00pm
Forza Motorsports 4 | 5:20pm
*Super Secret Remake | 5:40pm*
Ms. 'Splosion Man | 6:00pm"

PNut

Banned
Schooly D said:
We can't do tonight, but do you want to schedule for Sunday night?

So who wants to play Schooly D's team on Sunday?

1. PNut
2. kylej
5.?
6.?

This guy obviously wants to play some games against GAF. I've been a lurker for quite some time but I'm up for putting a team together last minute. So if anyone else is interested let's do it. As long as it's DMR starts with no AL he's got a game.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
Hmm, I got my old modem out and direct connected it and didn't get dropped the rest of the night. I've had this router since Christmas though, and haven't changed any settings on it, I'm not sure why it would be giving me problems now. :|

"from the IGN's schedule

Tuesday, June 7th
"Super Secret Remake"? Really guys? lol... Bungie's a bit better at this kind of stuff I guess.

PNut said:
So who wants to play Schooly D's team on Sunday?

1. PNut
2. kylej
5.?
6.?

This guy obviously wants to play some games against GAF. I've been a lurker for quite some time but I'm up for putting a team together last minute. So if anyone else is interested let's do it. As long as it's DMR starts with no AL he's got a game.

Add on no evade and no lame vehicular maps, and I'm in.

Kibbles

Ramirez said:

"from the IGN's schedule

Tuesday, June 7th
I'd be blown away if it wasn't Halo. It looks like they'll have the 3 big titles from Microsoft in a row. Gears 3, Forza 4, and then the Halo Remake.

Just got to get through the weekend...

Top Bottom