• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Striker

Trasher said:
Well no shit I'm jumping to conclusions. We obviously know absolutely nothing, but for a teaser that short to show a sort of jetpack function means it's obviously going to be a part of the game. I just hope it's not to the extent of what the jetpack is in Reach...
None of us know anything, I just find it silly to start the whining. And I would agree, no AA's needed for Chief, no gimmicks are necessary at all. Go back to Halo 2 Chief who used his actual weapons and intelligence to defeat his oppnents, not a jetpack or bubble shield.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
my gawd

its beautiful

2816731-gallery.png

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
It really isn't.

The fans obviously wanted Halo: CE gameplay on XBL (look above for proof). And setting up a playlist with "Halo: CE assets" is simply not good enough.

Just because they don't want to splinter their player base is no reason to not give fans what they want.
We think differently. It's a business.

I understand your disappointment, though. I just went in fully expecting that Halo 1 MP would never hit Live, because it wouldn't make sense to do so. So I'm not disappointed. (I also don't think it would play well, but that's me.)

Edit: apparantly only one new FF map. ONE.

Fuck.

Booties

Banned
^^^Reach has plenty of FF maps IMO but not nearly enough original and/or good MP maps. We need some good maps in MP first to dilute the bad (caged, uncaged, forgeworld remakes)

Also, they're working for microsoft. Getting funding for shit means you gotta play by their rules which are make money, and don't lose money. Splitting user base is bad for business. Luckily for us, good gameplay and mechanics is great for us. Have some faith brother. You probably didn't believe the Duke was coming back either, did you?

Trasher

Striker said:
None of us know anything, I just find it silly to start the whining. And I would agree, no AA's needed for Chief, no gimmicks are necessary at all. Go back to Halo 2 Chief who used his actual weapons and intelligence to defeat his oppnents, not a jetpack or bubble shield.
Do you still play Reach often? I would think you would understand my whining about the jetpack (and all AAs actually) if you did. :)

GhaleonEB said:
Edit: apparantly only one new FF map. ONE.

Fuck.
I was waiting for our firefight soldier to complain about this. lol

Detox

What is wrong with splitting the player base? COD does it and both of the last games are above Halo on the Live charts. People who like Reach can play Reach and CE campaign and the people who want something that is more like classic Halo can play CE online.

Trasher

Booties said:
^^^Reach has plenty of FF maps IMO but not nearly enough original and/or good MP maps. We need some good maps in MP first to dilute the bad (caged, uncaged, forgeworld remakes)

Also, they're working for microsoft. Getting funding for shit means you gotta play by their rules which are make money, and don't lose money. Splitting user base is bad for business. Luckily for us, good gameplay and mechanics is great for us. Have some faith brother. You probably didn't believe the Duke was coming back either, did you?
Yup. There's way too many forgeworld maps in Reach multiplayer, which isn't a good thing. The map pool is the most barren one out of all the Halos.

Booties

Banned
Detox said:
What is wrong with splitting the player base? COD does it and both of the last games are above Halo on the Live charts. People who like Reach can play Reach and CE campaign and the people who want something that is more like classic Halo can play CE online.

COD is more appealing to a lot more people, and seems to be pretty low on cost besides marketing. There is no point logically and financially to spend all this money creating a new MP experience when your current billion dollar game is less than a year old, Halo 4 is out in 18 months, and you still have add-ons planned for reach.

Stop demanding and start enjoying. Money doesn't grow on trees, not even in Microsofts hyperbolic tree chambers.

VVV You're right, but if more people played FF then Bungie would probably care. I doubt this is a "well if there were better FF maps more people would play them" argument because, honestly, the people who play halo play halo to shit on kids in MM and teabag their bodies.

Havok

Booties said:
Neither section of Reach has enough good maps. A large portion of the Firefight maps are god-awful, just like the multiplayer portion. Nobody is happy, and at this rate, nobody will be until Halo 4.
Bread said:
I have to stop reading the threads on the gaming side, some people over there are thick.
Reading those threads made me realize that, oh wait, I actually hate Halo E3s. Not because of Halo, but because of the people.

Bread

Banned
Detox said:
Halo isn't Call of Duty.

I have to stop reading the threads on the gaming side, some people over there are thick.

Booties

Banned
Well that's all the news I care to know. Who wants to actually play this game? I'll be online in a few minutes. Message Booties.

Trasher

Havok said:
Neither section of Reach has enough good maps. A large portion of the Firefight maps are god-awful, just like the multiplayer portion. Nobody is happy, and at this rate, nobody will be until Halo 4.
I don't think you can put firefight on the same level of importance as the actual multiplayer though. If I was a firefight fan I'd just be happy to at least see they are still acknowledging its existence with a map.

Maybe firefight would get more love if it actually worked and was playable online. That thing is a mess, and I find it hard to believe Bungie was actually happy with shipping it in the state that it's in.

Havok

Trasher said:
I don't think you can put firefight on the same level of importance as the actual multiplayer though. If I was a firefight fan I'd just be happy to at least see they are still acknowledging its existence with a map.

Maybe firefight would get more love if it actually worked and was playable online.
Oh, I absolutely agree. I'm just saying that I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to be in Ghaleon's position of strongly disliking the multiplayer, so Firefight's all he's got, and it's on a morphine drip going into an early grave.

For myself, though, I'd definitely rather see multiplayer additions, especially given what a disappointment Unearthed turned out to be.

Devin Olsen said:
It really isn't.

The fans obviously wanted Halo: CE gameplay on XBL (look above for proof). And setting up a playlist with "Halo: CE assets" is simply not good enough.

Just because they don't want to splinter their player base is no reason to not give fans what they want.

Depends on which side of the fence you're on.

I'm a Reach fan, so they are giving me what I want: more Reach content.

And really, not THAT many people have been asking for Halo CE multiplayer, I would wager. I mean, here yeah, but how much of the communication Bungie gets from their community through Bungie.net, their Facebook and Twitter is really demanding that?

Dani said:

That is awesome.

Kuroyume

Banned
Firefight shouldn't even get a single map. You play one game of Firefight and you've played them all. It's not as fresh as a game against human players.

Pennybags

My only gripe with any of this is the way Master Chief looks.

The new Waypoint ViDoc showcasing the "on the fly button"... give it to me.

Striker

So since there's one FF map, there's six of the rest?

If anybody gets details what maps they are let us know. I admit I wanted some Halo 2 remakes like Zanzibar and Headlong. :(

Havok

Striker said:

If anybody gets details what maps they are let us know. I admit I wanted some Halo 2 remakes like Zanzibar and Headlong. :(
Gonna have to wait 3 more years for that, bro.

P.S. get online.

Kuroyume said:
Firefight shouldn't even get a single map. You play one game of Firefight and you've played them all. It's not as fresh as a game against human players.

So who cares if you, one person, dislikes it. Why not have the feature in there anyways!

GhaleonEB

Trasher said:
I'm glad I'm getting one map, and do agree that the netcode is a problem. I was hoping for more than one, though. While Firefight shipped with eight maps, only four of them were any good. So any new ones fill in some big gaps. (I've always argued that MP deserved the bulk of the new content, due to its popularity, larger range of game modes and poor shipping state in Reach.)

I was hoping for more than one, though.

Ken

Pennybags said:
My only gripe with any of this is the way Master Chief looks.

The new Waypoint ViDoc showcasing the "on the fly button"... give it to me.
Yeah, his remastered appearance looks surprisingly plain and out of place among Reach's marine models.

64711b39.png

087437c3.png

Striker said:

Trailer confirmed Damnation, Hang Em' High, and Battle Creek.

Oozer3993 said:
Am I the only one really pumped for the new terminals?

No. I wonder how much retconning Anniversary will do. I'm actually okay with that.

And terminals that could hint at Halo 4 stuff? Possible tie-ins to Greg Bear's Forerunner Trilogy? <3 <3 <3

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
I'm glad I'm getting one map, and do agree that the netcode is a problem. I was hoping for more than one, though. While Firefight shipped with eight maps, only four of them were any good. So any new ones fill in some big gaps. (I've always argued that MP deserved the bulk of the new content, due to its popularity, larger range of game modes and poor shipping state in Reach.)

I was hoping for more than one, though.
Understandable.

I wonder if the firefight map will be from Halo CE.

Ken

Trasher said:
Understandable.

I think some of the areas in the second level of CE where you search for marines and help them fend off Covenant attacks could make good Firefight maps.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Trasher said:
Understandable.

I hope it's an ice level, or based on 343 Guilty Spark. Swamps, crashed Pelican, high ground Forerunner structure, hills and valleys.

PNut

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
I will get a lot of people who disagree, I am sure.

I liked the new music, the new look. The new, clean, logo. I like refreshing things :p.

Yeah, I liked what little was there to see. Then again, I'm not hard to please. The one thing I did notice after re-watching was that Cortana's voice seemed different.

Kuroyume

Banned
I don't like how they take an area which didn't have grass and then add grass to it in the remake. The grass in Reach is so ugly. If the area didn't have grass in it don't add grass to it. Not a big deal but if the point of this remake is graphics (since they're keeping pretty much everything else the same) then the art shouldn't be changed.

Trasher said:
"7 of the greatest multiplayer maps of all time." That would include every Halo game folks.

If that's the case it would be 5 Halo 2 maps, the Pit, and one FF map.

343i will have the full control of Reach in July and Reach has to be up to date if it wants to have a chance against Battlefield, Modern Warfare 3. The most of you noticed that Bulletstorm had gotten a 1GB-2GB patch for the Gears Of War 3 beta. 343i really wants to satisfy all Halo Fans. So I’m thinking we’re getting this (or I’m hoping it): A big Halo: Reach update. It will add the Gametype: Halo Classic. Halo Classic is going to be like Halo 1 and it will be getting his own playlist, but it would be only playable on the seven Maps. And yeah I’m dreaming right now. Otherwise we are get only one new Firefight. I hope that the map is going to be a special one. Maybe there will be flood on it?!

Oozer3993 said:
Am I the only one really pumped for the new terminals?
I'm hyped for that too.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oozer3993 said:
What map is this?

http://i.imgur.com/pIh8b.jpg[IMG]

Is it from PC? Or is the trailer badly cut together and this is just a piece of the campaign?[/QUOTE]
I honestly don't recognize that map at all, and I played PC a ton. Don't remember any map being that open either, other than Death Island, which doesn't have a bridge like that..

Striker said:
In my mind:

Best case scenario is that the chief has always had those thrusters on his Suit, but he only uses them in zero g environments. Worst case scenario would be the return of AA's. :(

I sort of hope Equipment comes back but im not a fan of AA's. To be honest thrusters on the chiefs suit that he only uses in Zero G would be pretty good.

Kibbles

Oozer3993 said:
What map is this?

pIh8b.jpg

Is it from PC? Or is the trailer badly cut together and this is just a piece of the campaign?

Sheesh, for a "classic" MP map, I have no idea what that is, and I've played every halo game console and PC.

Ramirez

Pretty sure one of the press releases said all of the maps aside from one were taken from CE. That forest map isn't Timberlands is it? I only played it like twice a long time ago...

I don't know where I read it on here, but some where Frankie said the classic maps would have classic settings to accompany them in MM. Does this just mean no AA's, or are we talking about a new rule set (unlikely I know)?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:
Pretty sure one of the press releases said all of the maps aside from one were taken from CE. That forest map isn't Timberlands is it? I only played it like twice a long time ago...

I don't know where I read it on here, but some where Frankie said the classic maps would have classic settings to accompany them in MM. Does this just mean no AA's, or are we talking about a new rule set (unlikely I know)?

Not sure yet. We'll find out soon though.

Ken

Oozer3993 said:
What map is this?

Is it from PC? Or is the trailer badly cut together and this is just a piece of the campaign?
I want to say it's from Campaign and probably the Halo level. There's a flare next to the tree making me think of the stranded marines you have to look for.

The next few seconds of that segment show a bridge in the sky and I don't recall any maps having that and grassy fields.

Kibbles said:
Sheesh, for a "classic" MP map, I have no idea what that is, and I've played every halo game console and PC.

I don't think it will have its own matchmaking. it sounds like it comes with maps to play on Reach.

List of Confirmed Maps:

Blood gulch

Beaver Creek

More?

Top Bottom