• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Created in celebration of the 10th anniversary of one of the most beloved franchises in gaming history, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is a spectacularly remastered version of the original Halo campaign. Bundled with seven of the most popular Multiplayer maps in Halo history ready for Xbox LIVE, Halo: Anniversary will include a bounty of new features including Co-op play over Xbox LIVE, Achievements, new challenges, and new fiction to uncover.
http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/intel/fe...-trailer/986031bc-949c-4e73-9614-790478360fce

Havok

Ken said:
Maybe the planet has some type of cloaked orbital defense system and the remains of the ship entered the system's range.
Yeah, I'm not really looking for a deep explanation or anything.

Also, interesting to note: The planet is hollowed out, or something to that effect. Maybe a ship? Maybe like the UESC Marathon?

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
Wait, how do we know the multiplayer maps are usable in firefight? My first assumption would be that Halo: Anniversary has its own FF mode using locations from the campaign, not multiplayer spaces.
We'll see. I'm assuming based on this:

Six multiplayer maps from the original Halo: CE are making the jump to Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, along with "Damnation" from Halo 2. Multiplayer will feature the full sweet of options that players have come to expect from the series - including Firefight mode.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1172870p1.html

We know all seven maps are Multiplayer maps. So the only way Firefight could be included is if they double as Firefight maps. If there were seperate ones, I'm sure they'd have announced it.

Need more details, though.

Ken

ncsuDuncan said:
What details, if any, do we have on distribution? XBLA? Discs? One disc or two?

It's $40 so I'm expecting a retail release with a single disc, unless they plan on including the entire Reach multiplayer suite on a second disc much like they did with ODST and Halo 3's multiplayer suite.

Booshka

God Dammit, fuck this, seeing Armor Lock on one of the Halo 1 Maps made me facepalm. No Halo 1 MP, just a Reach map pack and Halo 1 SP in the Reach engine, oh and a Beta code for Halo 4 of course. Back to Shadowrun.

Striker

Have they detailed out all seven maps, yet?

Clearly can see Battle Creek, Damnation, and Hang 'Em High. Others? Hopefully one is Sidewinder.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
2816733-gallery.png

2816734-gallery.png

Hydranockz said:
We all knew it would be unwise to launch a CE multiplayer feature when Reach has barely been out for a year. Why the surprise? A 7 map pack is not enough for you? How high were your bars set? Seriously large balloons of hope and dreams popping here. Ungrateful children is the impression I get.

Halo remastered campaign in HD is what you all wanted and WOW, LOOK! IT'S COMING!

7 REMAKES for Reach. No more shitty FW variants.

Yeah... disappointed is an understatement... please.

This. Unrealistic expectations to say the least. 1) Why would Bungie/343 risk splitting the MM population this soon, it doesn't make a lick of sense. 2) Even if they did add MP we all know that it wouldn't be the same based on the fact that in their view much of what made it what it is was more or less a mistake. You guys really should have known better.

Booshka

KevinRo said:
Did anyone actually read this?

Isn't this what everyone wanted? HALO:CE[AE] has multiplayer too it's just Reach's.... with Halo:CE maps redesigned.

While I wish it had the original pistol but people shouldn't act so surprised. This is M$ running things now, not Bungie.
I can play the original Campaign with the original assets right now, on my OG Xbox. What I can't do is play the original Halo 1 MP on Xbox Live, that is what I wanted.

Havok said:
Yeah, I'm not really looking for a deep explanation or anything.

Also, interesting to note: The planet is hollowed out, or something to that effect. Maybe a ship? Maybe like the UESC Marathon?
It's a Forerunner shield world.

Frankie on HBO:
"Reach mp yes, all included in one launchable package. More details soon."​
Sounds like Halo:Anniversary comes with Reach MP.

Oh, and:

"All campaign gamrplay n physics are original CE. You can switch between orig and anniversary on the fly."​

Trasher

I don't mean to be so negative on Halo 4 already, but I'm not too happy to see that jetpack in the teaser... Armor abilities need to go away. Forever.

KevinRo said:
*EDIT*

oh fuck me billly

HALO1 PISTOL IS BACK

I don't care about anything else, buying this first day.
I wouldn't say "it's back." It's not going to be in multiplayer. Are you really that excited to play the Halo CE campaign again?

Havok

Dax01 said:
It's a Forerunner shield world.
Shh, I was trying to see how unrealistic I could make expectations before returning to what we all really think it is ;)
Trasher said:
I don't mean to be so negative on Halo 4 already, but I'm not too happy to see that jetpack in the teaser... Armor abilities need to go away. Forever.
I kind of stared and just said "...what?" to the person watching it with me when those thrusters popped out. Where were you hiding those in Halo 3, John?

Tawpgun

Looks like the campaign was basically the CE campaign with the same physics and everything, but prettified. Animations were all the same.

MP is Reach MP.

Ken

Trasher said:

It's built into his armor so unless he also fit in Armor Lock, Sprint, and everything else, hopefully he just has jet pack built in and it's only used in certain events like Dead Space 2's jet pack and stays out of MP completely.

KevinRo

Everyone should watch the Waypoint exclusive on the remake.

Halo1 Pistol: Confirmed
Original Gameplay: Confirmed
XBL Co-Op: Confirmed
Multiplayer: (iffy about this one. is the campaign an odst like expansion or is it an entirely different game just using the reach engine? if so, is the multiplayer reach or is it halo1 with updated graphics?)

3 out of 4 is pretty good. Of course Multiplayer is the big thing about this, but if you can at will change backt to the original assets on the fly and use the Halo1 Pistol, I'm pretty much sure they kept to the basics with the multiplayer.

CANT WAIT HNGGGGGGGHHHHHH

Also, in the halo4 trailer. Cortana's ass.

Ken

KevinRo said:
Multiplayer: (iffy about this one. is the campaign an odst like expansion or is it an entirely different game just using the reach engine? if so, is the multiplayer reach or is it halo1 with updated graphics?)

No Halo: CE multiplayer. It's just Halo: CE maps remade for Halo: Reach.

I just... I don't... They re-did the campaign so well, and they were addiment about leaving the gameplay as it was. Why oh why did they not do the same for MP? I seriously just don't understand the thought process.

Striker

Trasher said:
Way to jump to conclusions? The device to me shows how Chief can swiftly move through space, unlike how it was to be in the end of Halo 3.

I'm awaiting gameplay, because that was more of a "It's coming" trailer than dictating any tones about how its MP will work.

Kibbles

Frank is on Spike TV right now. Doesn't confirm or deny new engine for Halo 4.

As for Halo: Anniversary
- Graphics layer running exactly on top of the exact physics and such of Halo 1. If you don't believe that you can just press a button to go back and forth between the original and Anniversary edition (that's badass).
- Matchmaking will reflect classic modes... (no bloom please)
- Not sure what else he said went too fast

Trasher

KevinRo said:
Everyone should watch the Waypoint exclusive on the remake.

Halo1 Pistol: Confirmed
Original Gameplay: Confirmed
XBL Co-Op: Confirmed

3 out of 4 is pretty good. Of course Multiplayer is the big thing about this, but if you can at will change backt to the original assets on the fly and use the Halo1 Pistol, I'm pretty much sure they kept to the basics with the multiplayer.

CANT WAIT HNGGGGGGGHHHHHH

Also, in the halo4 trailer. Cortana's ass.
It's Reach's multiplayer, and it's adding some classic maps from Halo CE it appears.

Striker said:
Way to jump to conclusions? The device to me shows how Chief can swiftly move through space, unlike how it was to be in the end of Halo 3.

I'm awaiting gameplay, because that was more of a "It's coming" trailer than dictating any tones about how its MP will work.
Well no shit I'm jumping to conclusions. We obviously know absolutely nothing, but for a teaser that short to show a sort of jetpack function means it's obviously going to be a part of the game. I just hope it's not to the extent of what the jetpack is in Reach...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm so fucking happy 343i is taking over matchmaking.

Frankie just mentioned on SpikeTV that they're going to ensure the Anniversary MP gets adequate and faithful classic modes. Also, the one Firefight map based on CE's campaign.

Kuroyume

Banned
Halo: CE remake is such a complete waste of time. It's a rental at best. Halo: CE is a bit rough around the edges in terms of friendly A.I and frame rate but it's still fun as hell to play. It also still looks pretty damn nice. I don't think any of the Halo games that came after it matched the snow weather effects that were in that game. I don't see this remake managing to represent that as well when the frame rate chokes as much as it does in Reach. The trailer graphics didn't look that well either. I just don't see the point of this remake without the multiplayer. I've never played Halo: CE multiplayer and I'm sure there are plenty of people in the same boat. That would have been a reason to get excited. Just remaking the multiplayer component and doing a set of Reach maps seems half assed by comparison. Can't see many people playing Halo Reach anymore for a map pack with maps not designed for the game right around the time that BF3 and GOW 3 come out.

Halo 4 teaser was really nice. Didn't get me too excited though. I think the days of me getting excited by videogame trailers and announcements are behind me. It's weird. If this Halo game takes place on another planet and Chief doesn't get to see the UNSC thoughout it at the very least we can expect a whole new set of weapons right? No more AR and plasma rifle retreads right? I think I saw him grab an AR at the end there. I would like to see that be the last one he ever uses.

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
I just... I don't... They re-did the campaign so well, and they were addiment about leaving the gameplay as it was. Why oh why did they not do the same for MP? I seriously just don't understand the thought process.
Didn't want to splinter Reach's MP player base between it and Halo 4. I think it's pretty understandable.

Booties

Banned
Trasher said:
It's Reach's multiplayer, and it's adding some classic maps from Halo CE it appears.

Yeah it's supposed to be the "SE7EN BEST MP MAPS OF ALL TIME" from CE I think. So glad MS/343i are in control. Take frankie away from the scrubs and we'll be seeing some good halo with a big budget for years to come.

Kuroyume said:
Halo 4 teaser was really nice. Didn't get me too excited though. I think the days of me getting excited by videogame trailers and announcements are behind me. It's weird. If this Halo game takes place on another planet and Chief doesn't get to see the UNSC thoughout it at the very least we can expect a whole new set of weapons right? No more AR and plasma rifle retreads right? I think I saw him grab an AR at the end there. I would like to see that be the last one he ever uses.
Most excited I've been since the believe campaign. And I think he just put an attachment on his pistol at the end, unless he picked up a second gun.

Ramirez

Frank just confirmed it's 6 MP maps and 1 FF map. Also, the MP is just a mappack for Reach basically, UGH.

WTB title update to remove bloom & fix melee mechanics please.

As for the Chief, that looked more like a boosting mechanic than a jetpack. Odd how he got suit upgrades a million lightyears away from anyone, eh? :p

GhaleonEB said:
Didn't want to splinter Reach's MP player base between it and Halo 4. I think it's pretty understandable.
It really isn't.

The fans obviously wanted Halo: CE gameplay on XBL (look above for proof). And setting up a playlist with "Halo: CE assets" is simply not good enough.

Just because they don't want to splinter their player base is no reason to not give fans what they want.

Bread

Banned
I hope they put the Halo1 pistol and a Classic Arena gametype in Reach multiplayer when the game releases, that would be just as good as Halo1 mp on live.

PNut

Banned
Kibbles said:
Frank is on Spike TV right now. Doesn't confirm or deny new engine for Halo 4.

Graphics layer running exactly on top of the exact physics and such of Halo 1. If you don't believe that you can just press a button to go back and forth between the original and Anniversary edition (that's badass).
Matchmaking will reflect classic modes... (no bloom please)

Yeah, finally cleared up a lot for me. 6 MP maps and 1 firefight map for Reach. Can't wait.

Devin Olsen said:
It really isn't.

The fans obviously wanted Halo: CE gameplay on XBL (look above for proof). And setting up a playlist with "Halo: CE assets" is simply not good enough.

Just because they don't want to splinter their player base is no reason to not give fans what they want.
Just go on to Waypoint and check out the exclusive video there.

Terminals in Anniversary confirmed.

Top Bottom