• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Ken

Since Halo: CEA's multiplayer is just Reach multiplayer on Halo CE maps, I wonder if we'll get to transfer our Reach unlocks to it. Also, hope they add some new armor options in CEA.

The Antitype said:
uh...what?

It does have multiplayer... (unfortunately)...

I believe the remake is going the ODST route with a sort of campaign expansion along with additional maps for Reach MP. There was no indication of a MP component at least from what I saw.

GhaleonEB

From the gaming side:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1172870p1.html

"Halo CE Anniversary is being developed in conjunction with Timeshift developer Saber Interactive and Certain Affinity, known most recently for their work on the second Map Pack DLC for Halo: Reach. Anniversary uses the Halo: Reach engine to present an updated look for the original campaign, as well as a Classic mode featuring the original assets from Halo: Combat Evolved.

Six multiplayer maps from the original Halo: CE are making the jump to Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, along with "Damnation" from Halo 2. Multiplayer will feature the full sweet of options that players have come to expect from the series - including Firefight mode."​
....does that mean all seven maps are also Firefight maps?

Sex me.

Tunavi

Banned
Halo CE trailer

sprinting at 33 seconds. Assassination from Reach in there as well. Looks choppy as hell. The chief looks like he did at the 2000 E3 trailer... :| im fucking disappointed right now. The didn't even show the magnum

RdN

Great teaser!!

I really hope that it's a launch title for the next Xbox.. 'Cause I don't see the 360 doing those kind of graphics.

Kibbles

GhaleonEB said:
From the gaming side:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1172870p1.html

"Halo CE Anniversary is being developed in conjunction with Timeshift developer Saber Interactive and Certain Affinity, known most recently for their work on the second Map Pack DLC for Halo: Reach. Anniversary uses the Halo: Reach engine to present an updated look for the original campaign, as well as a Classic mode featuring the original assets from Halo: Combat Evolved.

Six multiplayer maps from the original Halo: CE are making the jump to Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, along with "Damnation" from Halo 2. Multiplayer will feature the full sweet of options that players have come to expect from the series - including Firefight mode."​
....does that mean all seven maps are also Firefight maps?

Sex me.

What happened to not outsourcing such a project? Oh and Damnation isn't from Halo 2, wtf

Kujo

Halo Anniversary - Thumbs down
Halo 4 - Thumbs up

Why did they say a new trilogy for the X360? They can't possibly release 4, 5 and 6 before X720 is out

I am honestly livid. They were so close to re-making Halo:CE with XBL. Instead they just pump out another Reach map pack and call it a day.

I've been waiting ten years to play Halo 1 on XBL. To say this is disappointing would be an understatement.

So, I'd imagine the 7 maps are Reach DLC that are available after purchasing the Anniversary game. Pretty damn sweet. I really liked that aesthetic. Silent Cartographer looked stunning.

As for Halo 4. Bring on the haters... Seriously guys, wild speculation so early on from a teaser? Oh Gaf.

Devin Olsen said:
I am honestly livid. They were so close to re-making Halo:CE with XBL. Instead they just pump out another Reach map pack and call it a day.

I've been waiting ten years to play Halo 1 on XBL. To say this is disappointing would be an understatement.

Exactly, why people are excited for a 10 year old game with better graphics is beyond me. Co op over live might be fun, but to be honest I have already played that game to death when it comes to single player. Worst thing is was it just me or did it look like they were using Reach weapons in the CE solo? I hope its just the aesthetics.

Hydranockz im just dissapointed because jetpack most likely means AA's again. :(

Devin Olsen said:

Wow... just wow...

Devin Olsen said:

I'm sorry you feel that way.

I had no intention of playing a straight remake of the 2001 sandbox in action, so it doesn't affect me. I'd rather have new Reach maps, to be honest.

GhaleonEB

I wonder if they'll keep the more archaic methods Halo 1 used to keep smaller numbers of enemies on the screen at once. From Halo 3 on, the series has had 2-3x the numbers that Halo 1 supported, which had used lots of smoke and mirrors to mask how small the encounters were.

That kind of stuff won't fly in a modern release, but updating the enconters won't make for a faithful remake, either. (I'd rather they update them, myself.)

Halo 1 on Live would play terrible. But I also think the Halo 1 maps in the Reach sandbox won't play well. But if they all support Firefight, fuck me, that's smart. Great way to maximize the art and design assets. Firefight should play just fine on MP maps.

Ken

bobs99 ... said:
Worst thing is was it just me or did it look like they were using Reach weapons in the CE solo? I hope its just the aesthetics.

The Assault Rifle in the trailer had 60 rounds so I'm guessing CE campaign will feature CE weapons.

Detox

Devin Olsen said:

Agreed. I would love it if there is a proper classic playlist that replicates CE 1:1 with no bloom.

Devin Olsen said:

Pretty much how I feel.

We all knew it would be unwise to launch a CE multiplayer feature when Reach has barely been out for a year. Why the surprise? A 7 map pack is not enough for you? How high were your bars set? Seriously large balloons of hope and dreams popping here. Ungrateful children is the impression I get.

Halo remastered campaign in HD is what you all wanted and WOW, LOOK! IT'S COMING!

7 REMAKES for Reach. No more shitty FW variants.

Yeah... disappointed is an understatement... please.

Ken

Apparently it's $40 for CEA. Not too bad since I'd expect buying the maps for Reach separately will cost at least $20 on their own, if they are even made available separately.

Havok

The jetpack and pistol attachments just kind of appearing was really jarring for me. I dunno. Why was the ship exploding, I wonder?

And upon thought, I am still kind of underwhelmed by the visual style of the remake. The style just seems off (No matter what 'Halo 1 only looked good for the time' bullshit excuse' is thrown around. That game still looks great today because of its style).

Hydranockz said:
We all knew it would be unwise to launch a CE multiplayer feature when Reach has barely been out for a year. Why the surprise? A 7 map pack is not enough for you? How high were your bars set? Seriously large balloons of hope and dreams popping here. Ungrateful children is the impression I get.

Halo remastered campaign in HD is what you all wanted and WOW, LOOK! IT'S COMING!

7 REMAKES for Reach. No more shitty FW variants.

Yeah... disappointed is an understatement... please.

Dude... no its not. I dont think many of the people calling for a Halo Ce remake just wanted better graphics. Pretty dissapointing that its all thats really being added tbh.

A 7 map pack isnt good enough when the gameplay of that game is pretty poor.

You also cant compare people like Devin to an ungrateful child when this is something we will have to buy anyway, its not like a free gift we are bitching about lol.

Havok

At least now we know the real reason the Classic playlist isn't getting updated with more maps.

GhaleonEB said:
Absolutely. It was...off. To me it looked off in the way Halo Wars was. Similar designs, but clearly a copy, and not the original.
Halo Wars was the example I was just about to use. There are certain designs that are distinctly Halo, with weapons, certain architecture, and the Spartan model in particular, which was the first thing that really threw me for a loop. Somebody in here or one of the other threads said it looked like a Reach mod, and I agree. That, or the old Halo PC graphical mods that were designed to make the game fancier. It doesn't really work that way.
GhaleonEB said:
It's not getting updated because of the tiny playerbase and Jeremiah is moving on. But yea, I think those will show up in there pretty quick. :lol
I was being hyperbolic, but I do think that the knowledge that this was coming put it much lower on the list of priorities (which I'm fine with, as long as my sweet Objective gets its promised updates).

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
The jetpack and pistol attachments just kind of appearing was really jarring for me. I dunno. Why was the ship exploding, I wonder?

And upon thought, I am still kind of underwhelmed by the visual style of the remake. The style just seems off (No matter what 'Halo 1 only looked good for the time' bullshit excuse' is thrown around. That game still looks great today because of its style).
Absolutely. It was...off. To me it looked off in the way Halo Wars was. Similar designs, but clearly a copy, and not the original.

Still. Seven Firefight maps. Hold me.
Havok said:
At least now we know the real reason the Classic playlist isn't getting updated with more maps.
It's not getting updated because of the tiny playerbase and Jeremiah is moving on. But yea, I think those will show up in there pretty quick. :lol

bobs99 ... said:
Dude... no its not. I dont think many of the people calling for a Halo Ce remake just wanted better graphics. Pretty dissapointing that its all thats really being added tbh.

A 7 map pack isnt good enough when the gameplay of that game is pretty poor.

You also cant compare people like Devin to an ungrateful child when this is something we will have to buy anyway, its not like a free gift we are bitching about lol.
Sorry but what the fuck did you want?

Fully disagree with the notion that Halo CE still looks good today.

There are Xbox games that do, but Halo isn't one of them.

And if you think the gameplay in Reach is poor, so be it. I think it's fucking awesome and insanely fun. :D

Booties

Banned
MLG needs to have an event in Philadelphia. I'll recreate the Rocky training marathon on forgeworld and start sprinting through it all. IRL, I already have people tossing me fruit when I walk to/from my apartment on the italian market, I just need throngs of children running with me to the Philadelphia museum of art.

oh, and I'm getting on now for an all day halo poopfest. msg booties

Ken

Havok said:

Maybe the planet has some type of cloaked orbital defense system and the remains of the ship entered the system's range.

GhaleonEB

I guess this is the benefit of realistic expectations. I'd been saying for ages they would NEVER put out a new MP in between Reach and Halo 4.

I'd expected:

Halo CE remake, with Reach maps.

Halo 4 announced at the end.

I got: that, plus the news that the new maps double as Firefight ones. So I'm happy.

But the art in the remake was off, and the music in the Halo 4 trailer was very weak. Bungie's touch will be deeply missed.

Ramirez

Main, the CE trailer was really vague, it kind of made it sound like it had it's own MP, but then you see Reach MP, sigh. I really hope they do a title update, or maybe the 7 maps are separate from Reach, but use the same engine? /pipedream

Overall I'm happy, I mean really after how disappointing Reach is, I can only go up.

Hydranockz said:
Even though it was debated plenty here with a large contingent agreeing that tapping players out of a year old Reach would be very unwise? Ok dude...

I agree, so I would have prefered waiting a few more years and getting the Halo Ce we deserved. I know they didnt want to step on Reach's toes, but they have basically killed off any hope of getting the CE multiplayer over live now.

Hey lybertyboy, the conference was a solid A. Microsoft hit every major point it needed to:

- More justification for $60 subscription
- New dashboard
- Kinect-enhanced core shooters (ME3 voice = sex)
- More Kinect gimmicks for the kids
- And, of course, more Halo

Halo: CE is a mixed bag. I just really want a core Halo multiplayer experience, and I want it with the netcode that Reach offers.

That said, I still have hope for a 343 Reach revision in time for the holiday season. ;^)

And the Halo 4 trailer was beautiful. I wasn't a fan of the music, but the sense of scale and urgency was top notch.

I'm off to watch X-Men: First Class. Christmas is wonderful.

Thanks to 343 for showing us a glimpse of the next ten years.

GhaleonEB said:

Still. Seven Firefight maps. Hold me.
Wait, how do we know the multiplayer maps are usable in firefight? My first assumption would be that Halo: Anniversary has its own FF mode using locations from the campaign, not multiplayer spaces.

What details, if any, do we have on distribution? XBLA? Discs? One disc or two?
My pipe dream is still that Halo: Anniversary contains Reach multiplayer but has its own Classic Playlist. Give Reach a tiny title update to make the two compatible.

But regardless I'm super excited. 7 new maps is great.

Top Bottom