• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
xxxstylzxxx said:
This. Unrealistic expectations to say the least. 1) Why would Bungie/343 risk splitting the MM population this soon, it doesn't make a lick of sense. 2) Even if they did add MP we all know that it wouldn't be the same based on the fact that in their view much of what made it what it is was more or less a mistake. You guys really should have known better.

What? Risk splitting the population? They're already making us buy a new game, why would they worry about adding a MP onto it?

That's the dumbest logic ever. If it made sense, they wouldn't be releasing a new COD every year with more people on MP than the last.

Ramirez

I'm more interested in what Frankie meant by saying their would be classic settings to go along with these classic maps. If you're around anytime today Frank, if you could elaborate on what exactly that entails? Pretty please? :p I remain hopeful (stupid) that their might be a different rule set for the classic maps as an option to regular Reach gameplay.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
I'm more interested in what Frankie meant by saying their would be classic settings to go along with these classic maps. If you're around anytime today Frank, if you could elaborate on what exactly that entails? Pretty please? :p I remain hopeful (stupid) that their might be a different rule set for the classic maps as an option to regular Reach gameplay.
I assume it would be something like the Classic playlist settings. If you watch the part of that video where the guy rockets those other two guys in Beaver Creek, it would appear that they have no AAs on their backs. I wouldn't get your hopes up for them actually implementing that stuff throughout every playlist though, bro.

The Real Napsta said:
Was Halo 4 announced for Xbox 360, or was it just announced?
It was announced for Holiday 2012. If there was going to be a new console, I'm pretty sure we would have heard about it by now.

See: Nintendo.

Sibylus

Banned
Whatever that map is, it looks big enough to hold a Forerunner "fin base" or two. That geo in the last one might be one of those?

kylej

Banned
It's running on the same creaky framework as Reach? Hope 343 keeps the grey block count down, those things do a number on the engine..

Trasher said:
I assume it would be something like the Classic playlist settings. If you watch the part of that video where the guy rockets those other two guys in Beaver Creek, it would appear that they have no AAs on their backs. I wouldn't get your hopes up for them actually implementing that stuff throughout every playlist though, bro.

My only hope is that they can remove bloom and adjust grenade damage and individual weapon damage.

I don't know about bloom, but aren't the weapon damages baked into the maps?

And from what I can tell you will launch Reach multiplayer from the Anniversary disc (so it's not like ODST where they are separate). This makes me (stupidly) hopeful towards my theory that they can have an Anniversary-exclusive Classic playlist.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
360, next fall.

I don't care if it's in every playlist Trash, if it were just those 6 maps I'd be happy.
It's not the fall. It's a "holiday" release.

I have a feeling it may just be that Classic playlist, but it would swap in the real maps instead of the forgeworld maps. If that's the case they better remove the damn needle rifle.

Trasher said:
I have a feeling it may just be that Classic playlist, but it would swap in the real maps instead of the forgeworld maps. If that's the case they better remove the damn needle rifle.

Remove it? It's better than the spam-city DMR.

Tawpgun

XBL Coop, Achievements, Terminals. Goddamn that CE remake is going to be hot. I hope it includes theater. Looks like it should.

But I know the first thing I'm doing in CE Remake. Tricking it.

Also, just realized. We might not have gotten another Forgeworld..... but a bunch of these maps are forerunner. Forge Friendly hopefully.

Kuroyume

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
What? Risk splitting the population? They're already making us buy a new game, why would they worry about adding a MP onto it?

That's the dumbest logic ever. If it made sense, they wouldn't be releasing a new COD every year with more people on MP than the last.

What's dumb about is the the idea that it fucking matters. Just guessing here but it doesn't look like Reach DLC is setting the world on fire in terms of sales so I don't understand the splitting the population argument. You're probably not going to sell that many more new copies of Reach so why not get another Halo multiplayer title out there and really have this remake take off? This kind of feels like ODST all over again.

Trasher

Wake me...
wakeme1.png

When you need me.
wakeme4.png

wakeme5.png

wakeme6.png

Cool pistol, bro.
pistol11.png

Wait...what?!
pistol2.png

BOOM
pistol3.png

Time to reload.
pistol4.png

reload.png

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Trasher said:
Why do they keep changing his armor. =\

bobs99 ... said:
ooh, that looks more like a grapple gun than anything else. Maybe this game will have tons of zero g areas.

How did you come to that conclusion? A grenade launching pistol looks like a grapple gun? What the fuck?

FourDoor

Trasher said:
Cool pistol, bro.

Wait...what?!

BOOM
]

Time to reload.

Thanks for the pics of the pistol attachment. Forget 3 shots with the pistol. We have a rocket launcher attachment for it in H3! LOL

Ken

Went through all the PC Halo 1 CE maps that included vehicles looking for what the unknown map in the trailer was. None of the maps fit any of the screen captures taken of the map in the trailer, and since there's a Mongoose, it's not a campaign level .

I guess it's either not from Halo 1, is a heavily modified Halo 1 map, is an area taken out of a campaign level (it looks a lot like the Halo level) modified for FF, Forge World, or whatnot, or I need to look through the Halo 1 maps again.

Wonder why Halo: Waypoint removed their Halo: Anniversary exclusive video from the site.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Needle rifles are retarded. It's borderline better than the DMR, but its supercombine is unnecessary. You can't take off someones health with no shields with it either, only kill them.

Trasher

The Real Napsta said:
If i'm firing accurate shots (letting bloom reset) that's called pacing, not spamming...lol. Nice point bro!
Exactly... You can spam the hell out of NRs without having to wait for bloom as much as you do with the DMR.

God, why are juniors always so dumb?

LAUGHTREY said:
Needle rifles are retarded. It's borderline better than the DMR, but its supercombine is unnecessary. You can't take off someones health with no shields with it either, only kill them.
Yup, and I'm referring to them in the Classic playlist where they are much more powerful than the DMR.

Trasher said:
Exactly... You can spam the hell out of NRs without having to wait for bloom as much as you do with the DMR.

God, why are juniors always so dumb?

That's not spamming, that's pacing.

DMR rewards you for spamming, NR rewards you for pacing with a faster reset. Resorting to insults bro? You mad?

Trasher

The Real Napsta said:
That's not spamming, that's pacing.

DMR rewards you for spamming, NR rewards you for pacing with a faster reset. Resorting to insults bro? You mad?
What game are you playing? I want it.

Trasher said:
What game are you playing? I want it.

So you beat spammers by pacing? Is that what your are saying?

Here's my definition of spamming:

Firing as fast as you can with inaccurate shots due to rate of fire.

If you fire as fast as you can with the NR, you will get dumped like a truck by a NR pacer.

If you fire as fast as you can with the DMR, a lot of the time you will beat the pacer (I do it when i'm shots down all the time)

If you let NR bloom go full you can't hit anything, with the DMR you still can. NR at full bloom takes forever to reset, but resets fast after only a single shot.

Is the NR perfect? No. The needle explosion thing is beyond stupid to have on a precision weapon.

The fast rate of accurate (non spammed) fire, combined with a 2x scope (like the BR) make it better suited for the Team Classic playlist.

Trasher said:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/TJTrasher/reload.png[/IM[/QUOTE]
Ugh. Okay, time for some complaining. Master Chief's armor is UGLY. There was [I]no reason[/I] to change it. 343, for everything that is holy to Halo, please go back to the Mark VI Mjolnir armor. No re-imagining or anything. That armor was badass. Probably the worst thing about this new armor...look at MC's cup. I mean, what the heck?

Unless there is some sort of story reason for MC's armor changing. In which case, forget everything I've said.

LAUGHTREY said:

Rewarding long-time fans with a revamped nostalgia act is one thing.

Making Halo fans choose between spending their time playing a completely new multiplayer product and their premier title is completely different.

Whether you think about it in terms of customer service (keeping population numbers up so that search times stay down) or in terms of a business (more people keep playing your game, more people to buy DLC, etc), it's still a valid decision.

You may not agree with it, but it is ultimately the publisher and developer's call, not the fans. You can ask, they can choose to respond. And you can choose to voice your displeasure, not buy the new Halo CE, and not play Reach online.

Kuroyume

Banned
The new armor looks great. The Halo 2 armor was starting to look old and ugly. It was anice improvement from the one Halo: CE though.

Trasher

The Real Napsta said:
So you beat spammers by pacing? Is that what your are saying?

Here's my definition of spamming:

Firing as fast as you can with inaccurate shots due to rate of fire.

If you fire as fast as you can with the NR, you will get dumped like a truck by a NR pacer.

If you fire as fast as you can with the DMR, a lot of the time you will beat the pacer (I do it when i'm shots down all the time)

If you let NR bloom go full you can't hit anything, with the DMR you still can. NR at full bloom takes forever to reset, but resets fast after only a single shot.

Is the NR perfect? No. The needle explosion thing is beyond stupid to have on a precision weapon.

The fast rate of accurate (non spammed) fire, combined with a 2x scope (like the BR) make it better suited for the Team Classic playlist.
Right. I can agree with and verify just about all of that.

My point is that in a game where the DMR is supposed to be the go-to-weapon for a precision rifle in all the playlists, it is completely made worthless because of the NR buff in Team Classic. The NR's bloom enables a quicker barrage of shots with better accuracy, so it feels as if you are just being spammed to death in a game that is supposed to revolve around the mechanic of bloom. That's my main point here. So if we go by your definition of spamming then yeah, you would be right. But my point is that the NR in Team Classic just sort of changes the whole game, and makes it almost uncomfortable to move in and out of that playlist. Why even spawn with a DMR in that playlist? It's counterproductive to the game, and I feel like it was a big oversight when they implemented the playlist.

They could have reskinned the NR to look like the DMR in that playlist, and if you lost to someone it would feel as if they just spammed you to death.

The one thing I don't agree with in your post is the spamming of the DMR to beat people who consistently pace. Sure it happens every now and then (which is completely dumb of course), but generally the pacer will always win. Maybe I rely too heavily on pacing, and I don't experience that as much as you. I'm not sure. But whenever I try spamming it rarely works out in my favor. Pretty much the only time where it seems viable is when you are in close quarters with someone and are a shot down. That's when I generally do it anyways.

Spam three (torso region) and pace two (head). That usually works for me.

Trasher said:

My point is that in a game where the DMR is supposed to be the go-to-weapon for a precision rifle in all the playlists, it is completely made worthless because of the NR buff in Team Classic. The NR's bloom enables a quicker barrage of shots with better accuracy, so it feels as if you are just being spammed to death in a game that is supposed to revolve around the mechanic of bloom. That's my main point here. So if we go by your definition of spamming then yeah, you would be right. But my point is that the NR in Team Classic just sort of changes the whole game, and makes it almost uncomfortable to move in and out of that playlist. Why even spawn with a DMR in that playlist? It's counterproductive to the game, and I feel like it was a big oversight when they implemented the playlist.

They could have reskinned the NR to look like the DMR in that playlist, and if you lost to someone it would feel as if they just spammed you to death.

The one thing I don't agree with in your post is the spamming of the DMR to beat people who consistently pace. Sure it happens every now and then (which is completely dumb of course), but generally the pacer will always win. Maybe I rely too heavily on pacing, and I don't experience that as much as you. I'm not sure. But whenever I try spamming it rarely works out in my favor. Pretty much the only time where it seems viable is when you are in close quarters with someone and are a shot down. That's when I generally do it anyways.

Why is the DMR supposed to be the go to precision weapon? You can use whatever weapon you like. If I like to use the NR instead of the DMR, then it is my go to precision weapon.

Trasher said:

I agree with most of what you said too. I think we just started with two different definitions of what "spamming" is.

With the DMR I both spam and pace. With the NR I only pace because it punishes spamming so much.

DMR spamming is not consistent, you are right but it works more often than you think.

Top Bottom