• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Trasher

The Real Napsta said:
I agree with most of what you said too. I think we just started with two different definitions of what "spamming" is.

With the DMR I both spam and pace. With the NR I only pace because it punishes spamming so much.

DMR spamming is not consistent, you are right but it works more often than you think.
Yeah. I was mainly referring to the different accuracies and rate of fires I guess, and the trouble of that in respect to Team Classic. Your definition is probably the more correct one.

I was about to add this to my post, but it was way too late haha:
Edit: Just to verify. So your definition of spamming would technically be firing with broken bloom right? With the NR that is pretty clear-cut (when it breaks it breaks), but with the DMR it is arguable because you have more control over the reticule expansion. There's more grey area there I guess with the DMR, but it definitely has a better chance of killing someone with its broken bloom rather than with the NRs broken bloom. I will agree with you on that.

Trasher

Steelyuhas said:
Why is the DMR supposed to be the go to precision weapon? You can use whatever weapon you like. If I like to use the NR instead of the DMR, then it is my go to precision weapon.
Well, excluding Team Classic, it is. It takes too many shots to kill someone with the NR. Five shots with the DMR still feels like quite a bit when you compare it to the four-shot in Halo 3. Seven shots with the NR is just too much. Especially in a game with abilities like sprint and evade that make it easy to escape to cover so quickly. Your window of opportunity to finish someone off goes down considerably when two more shots are required to kill them.

The one positive I can think of for the NR where I would want it over a DMR is on a larger BTB map with lots of long lines of sight. Then again if it's a BTB map then it's going to have vehicles, and sadly the NR does near to almost no damage to vehicles whereas at least a few DMRs can help take down a banshee rather effectively.

So see? There really isn't anything redeeming about the NR, and especially not with the size of most maps in Reach (depending on what playlists you prefer of course).

GhaleonEB

I just realized that not only will Hang'em High have been remade twice now, but that Certain Affinity will have remade it twice. (Assuming they're doing the MP maps, which is a safe bet.)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Trasher said:
Boxart?

halo4.JPG

http://www.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/4b/57/box_7.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I can only assume Cortana was using magnets and magic to upgrade the Chief in Cryo.

Tawpgun

To all complaining about the armor.

Remember, the game is still far off and... that was CG...

I don't like it too much either but I know not to trust that to be the final version.

Anyway, I hope the Box Art isn't final either. Hell, I didn't like the Reach Box Art too much either.

Original Reach Silhouettes for box art would have been the best. I hope they put something more badass for box art. Also, I wonder what the Legendary Edition is going to have....

This is going to be a painful wait. I hope more Halo 4 info trickles in for Halo Fest. But I assume they're putting all their effort behind Anniversary for now...

And another thing... Halo Anniversery guarantees Halo 4 Beta? yes? yes? Make it so, please.

Lazslo

Plywood said:
I can only assume Cortana was using magnets and magic to upgrade the Chief in Cryo.
Duhh and since that super new gun was in that half ship they were in- Technically it was also in the H3 world, but we never found. Im gonna go look for it at the end of H3 tonight.

Trasher said:
Well, excluding Team Classic, it is. It takes too many shots to kill someone with the NR. Five shots with the DMR still feels like quite a bit when you compare it to the four-shot in Halo 3. Six shots with the NR is just too much. Especially in a game with abilities like sprint and evade that make it easy to escape to cover quickly. Your window of opportunity to finish someone off goes down considerably when another shot is required to kill them.

The one positive I can think of for the NR where I would want it over a DMR is on a larger BTB map with lots of long lines of sight. Then again if it's a BTB map then it's going to have vehicles, and sadly the NR does near to almost no damage to vehicles whereas at least a few DMRs can help take down a banshee rather effectively.

So see? There really isn't anything redeeming about the NR, and especially not with the size of most maps in Reach (depending on what playlists you prefer of course).

I understand that DMR is larger better I just didn't understand that you said it's supposed to the weapon of choice like players shouldn't use anything else.

Classic is an extreme niche of a playlist, using in-game settings to attempt (not that well) to create 'classic Halo'. The classic playlist has 110 damage specifically for the NR. Its the only way to get faster kill times with a precision weapon in the game without breaking everything else.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
A27 Tawpgun said:
To all complaining about the armor.

Remember, the game is still far off and... that was CG...
I like it, he looks like a scifi-ninja instead of a scifi-soldier though, which might rub people the wrong way though. His helmet looks off in the alleged box-art though.

Also slap the H4 beta on CE Microsoft!
Lazslo said:
Duhh and since that super new gun was in that half ship they were in- Technically it was also in the H3 world, but we never found. Im gonna go look for it at the end of H3 tonight.
Easter Egg of the forever.

A27 Tawpgun said:
And another thing... Halo Anniversery guarantees Halo 4 Beta? yes? yes? Make it so, please.
That would certainly be interesting. I'm definitely getting the Anniversary edition. The Chief's armor looks a bit off, but the game looks pretty amazing.

Plywood said:
Well, there is half a ship that they're floating around in for who-knows-how-long. It wouldn't be a terrible assumption to make that materials were aboard to upgrade/repair MC's armor. Can't say I'm a a big fan of how it looks, though.

I sure as hell hope that the jetpack-thingy isn't a sign of what to expect in H4's multiplayer. bleh

Trasher

Steelyuhas said:
I understand that DMR is larger better I just didn't understand that you said it's supposed to the weapon of choice like players shouldn't use anything else.

Classic is an extreme niche of a playlist, using in-game settings to attempt (not that well) to create 'classic Halo'. The classic playlist has 110 damage specifically for the NR. Its the only way to get faster kill times with a precision weapon in the game without breaking everything else.
So you do or don't agree that the DMR is better than the NR? That's why I was calling it the go-to-weapon out of the precision rifles.

Yes, I understand the Team Classic settings.

How the hell are they going to arrange this anniversary package? It seems like a complicated problem.

With Halo 3 and the Mythic disc it was a bit easier because most people played adversarial multiplayer all the time. But with Reach, players are constantly shifting between campaign, multiplayer, and firefight. If they are adding a new Reach firefight map and new Reach multiplayer maps, I need to be able to access those from Reach, period.

Ideally, I would want to seamlessly jump between everything in Reach and everything in Halo: CEA from the Reach and/or Anniversary executable. I'm doubtful they will achieve that. I believe that CEA will lack feature parity with Reach and therefore its campaign will be kept separate from Reach. However, players that only buy CEA will need to be able to play the maps in multiplayer, I would imagine. You can see why it's a messy thing to sort out. Perhaps there will be playlists that are accessible from CEA and Reach (like Team Classic). Perhaps they will include the whole multiplayer suite a la the mythic disc, but then would they leave out the Reach campaign?

It appears that Halo: CEA is not built on the Reach engine but on a modified Halo: CE engine. This leads me to believe that Halo 4 will be built on a modified Reach engine because 2012 is way too close for a brand new engine (and the Reach engine is pushing the 360 as it is). Forgive me if you feel I'm stating the obvious. Correct me if you feel I'm wrong.

Frankie, on HBO:
"The look of the new Chief will be explained in-story and in good time. The "key art" images are not box art. They're simply images evocative of the new game. We do this every time. You're going to get a lot more information about Anniversary in the short term, but we'll of course carefully release pertinent and timely information about 4 in the coming months. But don't expect a deluge."​

(This is regarding Halo 4, not Anniversary.)

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
Well, there is half a ship that they're floating around in for who-knows-how-long. It wouldn't be a terrible assumption to make that materials were aboard to upgrade/repair MC's armor. Can't say I'm a a big fan of how it looks, though.

I sure as hell hope that the jetpack-thingy isn't a sign of what to expect in H4's multiplayer. bleh
I think it's safe to assume that the jetpack and gun were both added as hints at game content and abilities. I can't think of why they'd show them otherwise.

I don't object to the jetpack, I just hope it's used well and with restraint (in multiplayer). It's not in Reach. It has some great potential in Campaign, though, which was never realized in Reach.

Edit: from OWV on why no MP, from the Gaming side thread:

OuterWorldVoice said:
There are a number of reasons. Obviously the (Halo CE) engine work is already done, and obviously we had to create new netcode to support the co-op over Live, but the reasons include:

Fragmenting the user base
It would feel different because of latency and would not precisely replicate what you remember.
The Pistol effect (a three shot ultraweapon on Live, it's not the same as System Link).

There are a lot more dry, technical issues too - all of which would have had insurmountable gameplay ramifications. It was a difficult decision with a lot of elements to balance, but please don't think it was made lightly or cynically.

We also discovered that some of the maps are incredibly good fun with some of the reach elements and weapons. One in particular, that we haven't revealed yet, feels like it was born to be played "on" Reach.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
squidhands said:
Yep and going by what ncsuDuncan posted it looks all the more to be the case.

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
I think it's safe to assume that the jetpack and gun were both added as hints at game content and abilities. I can't think of why they'd show them otherwise.

I don't object to the jetpack, I just hope it's used well and with restraint (in multiplayer). It's not in Reach. It has some great potential in Campaign, though, which was never realized in Reach.
I heard that the new pistol thingy from the teaser isn't in the game actually.

I also heard that Halo 4 isn't using a new engine.

Trasher said:
So you do or don't agree that the DMR is better than the NR? That's why I was calling it the go-to-weapon out of the precision rifles.

Yes, I understand the Team Classic settings.

Yeah I do think that its better in most situations, it just sounded like you were saying that it was supposed to be better because the human rifle has to be better than the covenant one. I guess I misinterpreted what I read from your post.

Also, side note about that, I've always found it amusing in the Halo series that the Covenant is supposed to be this incredible military power, but all their weapons are horrible.

Trasher

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah I do think that its better in most situations, it just sounded like you were saying that it was supposed to be better because the human rifle has to be better than the covenant one. I guess I misinterpreted what I read from your post.

Also, side note about that, I've always found it amusing in the Halo series that the Covenant is supposed to be this incredible military power, but all their weapons are horrible.
dat mjolnir

ncsuDuncan said:
Frankie, on HBO:
"The look of the new Chief will be explained in-story and in good time. The "key art" images are not box art. They're simply images evocative of the new game. We do this every time. You're going to get a lot more information about Anniversary in the short term, but we'll of course carefully release pertinent and timely information about 4 in the coming months. But don't expect a deluge."​

(This is regarding Halo 4, not Anniversary.)
I re-read my post about the armor, and I have to apologize for the way I come off. I can accept that the armor changes, but I really don't like the look of the new armor. I hope 343 changes it.

Voltron64

Now with the news that Halo Anniversary won't have the original MP, I'm already hungry for more info on Halo 4 and it's only been a couple hours since the trailer was shown lol. Reach is not really doing it for me...ugh.

GhaleonEB said:
Edit: from OWV on why no MP, from the Gaming side thread:
OuterWorldVoice said:
There are a number of reasons. Obviously the (Halo CE) engine work is already done, and obviously we had to create new netcode to support the co-op over Live, but the reasons include:

Fragmenting the user base
It would feel different because of latency and would not precisely replicate what you remember.
The Pistol effect (a three shot ultraweapon on Live, it's not the same as System Link).

There are a lot more dry, technical issues too - all of which would have had insurmountable gameplay ramifications. It was a difficult decision with a lot of elements to balance, but please don't think it was made lightly or cynically.

We also discovered that some of the maps are incredibly good fun with some of the reach elements and weapons. One in particular, that we haven't revealed yet, feels like it was born to be played "on" Reach.
I'm assuming they aren't including Halo: CE multiplayer for split-screen or LAN, either, an exclusion that is not handled by this explanation.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Voltron64 said:
Now with the news that Halo Anniversary won't have the original MP, I'm already hungry for more info on Halo 4 and it's only been a couple hours since the trailer was shown lol. Reach is not really doing it for me...ugh.

Still can't believe we're getting Halo 4 next year. Honestly, I'm more than happy it's so soon.

neoism

awesome.. had a very rare over kill last game, and my 22 kills didn't even count.
O_____________________________________________O

So the seven maps for Reach are:
Damnation
Hang em High
Beaver Creek (dem ramps)
Firefight map
?
?
?

Anyone want to speculate on what the other 3 maps are?

neoism

Mojo said:
Woo Halo 4, please be like it's own game
fixed

The Real Napsta said:
Damnation
Hang em High
Beaver Creek (dem ramps)
Firefight map
?
?

Anyone want to speculate on what the other 2 maps are?
poor Prisoner.. :( I soo hope so.

The Real Napsta said:
Damnation
Hang em High
Beaver Creek (dem ramps)
Firefight map
?
?

Anyone want to speculate on what the other 2 maps are?

There will be 3 other maps. 6 competitive and one firefight.

My prediction for the three other maps are Prisoner, Sidewinder, and I'm not sure about the third one. I'd say Chill Out, but I feel that it wouldn't be great in Reach.

Steelyuhas said:
There will be 3 other maps. 6 competitive and one firefight.

My prediction for the three other maps are Prisoner, Sidewinder, and I'm not sure about the third one. I'd say Chill Out, but I feel that it wouldn't be great in Reach.

Yeah I just realized I did that. Prisoner would be awesome since it has never been remade.

The Real Napsta said:
Yeah I just realized I did that. Prisoner would be awesome since it has never been remade.

I was just thinking about that. How did Prisoner never get a remake? Great map.

Holy Server!

Will I still get progress towards challenges if I play right now?

Sibylus

Banned
Dax01 said:
I re-read my post about the armor, and I have to apologize for the way I come off. I can accept that the armor changes, but I really don't like the look of the new armor. I hope 343 changes it.
It may be my love of cyclical things, but I think it'd be a nice touch to have Chief scavenge a Mark V suit for the start of the new trilogy (perhaps with some subtle upgrades).

Havok

The Real Napsta said:
Damnation
Hang em High
Beaver Creek (dem ramps)
Firefight map
?
?
?

Anyone want to speculate on what the other 3 maps are?
Halo 2 maps please.

Tunavi

Banned
The flood are annoying when you are trying to push through them. But if there was a flood firefight map....oh god, so good.

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt...

Halo:CE remake is a monumental waste of time and space. People can say all they want about how, "oh i'm so excited to play through the campaign again." But that isn't what people wanted. To remake the game and still exclude matchmaking is the most boneheaded move in history. Way to go team. Way to go.

I don't give a rat's butt about fragmented user base. Reach is dead to me and I haven't touched it in months. There is nothing that isn't already fragmented about Reach. The game is subpar, thanks to some really dumbass design decisions such as bloom and a multitude of others. So lame. Make a shitty game? Accept it and move on. Don't try and hide under the excuse that you think it's too soon to move on. It's never too soon to move on when a game sucks.

High expectations? Not even close. You don't remake a game that people have been waiting and dying in agonizing patience for years for it to be put on xboxlive and then exclude the one thing that everyone wanted the most. Definitely not even close to having too high of an expectation. I think the high expectation argument went out the window when the remake was confirmed. Too high because the one thing they should have included is not included? GTFO in my opinion. Nuff said.

omg smh /facepalm fail piss on a kid in ethiopa... Not even gonna waste my breath hoping for Halo4 to be anything but ass now.

Top Bottom