• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Sparkast tidbits

Anniversary code name: Spark

The graphics switch started as a dev tool for comparing geometry.

There are visual differences to the different levels of The Library that makes it easier to navigate and keep your bearings. The level isn't actually different but textures, etc. make it more pleasing to the eye.

$40 price confirmed (again). Terminals confirmed (again).

Max Hoberman was involved in the multiplayer map remakes. (We already knew Certain Affinity was involved, but it's nice to hear that Max was involved too.)

Regarding the Firefight map: "That is the exact right place [from campaign] to do Firefight. People will guess it correctly." (It's NOT the Library.)

They took AAs into account when picking which maps to remake. NO Blood Gulch confirmed. :p

"Dip themselves in the waters of LAKE MINNETONKA." lol

Frankie mentions Lockout-gate, people complaining about Blackout not being a perfect remake. Admits that the CEA map remakes are similar in that they aren't identical geometry, but that it's only done to account for changes in how the games play. Cites the changes you can see in Damnation where the overshield area gaps are gone. Helps people sprint across more easily or not fall off when shooting at jetpack people.

Warthog is still indestructible!

Sounds like the press will get to demo the beginning of Silent Cartographer.

The level 343 Guilty Spark now has Na'vi running around the jungle.
No, it doesn't.
Frank is such a comedian. ;)

Recon and Bumper Jumper control schemes mentioned.

You do NOT need to have Halo: Reach to play multiplayer. But if you don't you ONLY have the 7 new maps. If you have Reach, CEA lets you download the 7 maps for use with the Reach disc. So the Reach maps are NOT on the CEA disc.

Confirms that the Halo 4 teaser is CG (as in not in-engine and not a "trailer").

Teaser takes place immediately after the Halo 3 Legendary ending (obviously).

Sounds like WETA's Warthog will be at Halofest (Curtis Creamer is the guy that hit a wall with that during a test drive, right?) Edit: Yeah, that's Curtis behind the wheel.

Should be getting podcasts on a more regular basis now.

Great podcast, I recommend you listen just to hear all the stuff I missed. Very enjoyable.

Havok

thee henery said:
- Halfway through, when talking about the multiplayer maps for Reach, Frankie suggests that each map will be tailored gameplay-wise to optimise the use of Reach's sandbox - this seems to me like he's saying certain maps won't include the jetpack loadout, or, say for instance there's a camo powerup on the map then the camo aa won't be included. He also says that the team have been working on this which hopefully means that the discussion held here a few days ago about loadouts being tailored to map and gametype will come ring true for the future of Reach mm.
If this means that objective timers will finally make sense on a per map basis (combined with loadout restrictions per map), they have just earned my love.

Willeth

thee henery said:
- Halfway through, when talking about the multiplayer maps for Reach, Frankie suggests that each map will be tailored gameplay-wise to optimise the use of Reach's sandbox - this seems to me like he's saying certain maps won't include the jetpack loadout, or, say for instance there's a camo powerup on the map then the camo aa won't be included. He also says that the team have been working on this which hopefully means that the discussion held here a few days ago about loadouts being tailored to map and gametype will come ring true for the future of Reach mm.
I've not listened yet because iTunes refuses to update, but is it clear on whether they won't be on the maps at all, or just not in MM but still optional in Forge?

Striker

Hydranockz said:
Halo map that hasn't been on a console before? Oh my!

Death Island?
xnz0ae.jpg

Ken

ncsuDuncan said:
You do NOT need to have Halo: Reach to play multiplayer. But if you don't you ONLY have the 7 new maps. If you have Reach, CEA lets you download the 7 maps for use with the Reach disc. So the Reach maps are NOT on the CEA disc.

Which means I can just leave CEA in my 360.

Trasher

ncsuDuncan said:
Sparkast tidbits

Regarding the Firefight map: "That is the exact right place [from campaign] to do Firefight. People will guess it correctly." (It's NOT the Library.)
What do you think it is, Ghaleon? Or anyone for that matter.

Havok

Trasher said:
I'd guess one of the only times you have to play defense in the entire game - the first beacon structure on the second level, Halo. Or possibly the giant rock garden from the same level.

Or the infinite Flood spawn on Keyes.

Trasher said:

Clearly it's the Warthog Run at the end of The Maw. lol

Whoa, I wonder how that's going to look now? I'd pay $40 just to see all of the new cutscenes...

Kibbles said:
There's no bridge there though.

Forge.

GhaleonEB

Sweet. Time to add Waypoint to my bookmarks and regular viewing now. :)

There are seven total multiplayer maps, and we’ll reveal them over the next few months. But one of them and another factor that pushed us towards the Reach engine is a Firefight map – a Firefight map unlike any you’ve ever seen before. One thing I can tell you is that this one is particularly appropriate to Halo: Combat Evolved but will do things that no Firefight map has done.​
Whisper to me, Frankie. Your dulcet tones have my full attention.
Trasher said:
Every option I can think of has problems. I'll need to stew on this one for a bit.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Never on console? Timberland? Death Island? Ice Canyon!? TELL ME, FRANKIE.

Probably Death Island though, it's iconic Silent Cartographer stuff.

Havok

Lyphen said:

I seem to remember Death Island being really really large. Like, way too large for even 16 people to really work well on. Am I misremembering?

Willeth said:
I've not listened yet because iTunes refuses to update, but is it clear on whether they won't be on the maps at all, or just not in MM but still optional in Forge?

Like I say it seems like he's suggesting those map tailored loadouts - it's not explicitly spelled out though. No mention of forge either.

Two more things on the remake. It's a massive relief to hear they haven't touched the engine one bit - it could have turned out horribly had they decided to remake the game from the ground up.
The price is another positive. People called out microsoft for the odst pricing, so it's only right to give praise that this will be at a discounted price.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Havok said:
I seem to remember Death Island being really really large. Like, way too large for even 16 people to really work well on. Am I misremembering?
It was big, it had multiple elevations, 2 tanks, plenty of sniper spots, banshee platform (also a great Warthog jump area) two bases plus a small third with the fuel rod gun...honestly, I hope Death Island isn't it, unless they've made significant changes. DMRs on the top level could easily bring a flag carrier back from the base after one teleport.

thee henery said:
Like I say it seems like he's suggesting those map tailored loadouts - it's not explicitly spelled out though. No mention of forge either.

Two more things on the remake. It's a massive relief to hear they haven't touched the engine one bit - it could have turned out horribly had they decided to remake the game from the ground up.
The price is another positive. People called out microsoft for the odst pricing, so it's only right to give praise that this will be at a discounted price.

I wouldn't be surprised if the CEA disc does not have Forge.

Regardless, you can always download the maps for Reach and use Forge on them there.

Ken

Lyphen said:
It was big, it had multiple elevations, 2 tanks, plenty of sniper spots, two bases plus a small third with the fuel rod gun...honestly, I hope Death Island isn't it, unless they've made significant changes. DMRs on the top level could easily bring a flag carrier back from the base after one teleport.

It has 4 Banshees.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
One of the turret platforms was also a good warthog jump area....ahh, I'd love to do that crap again. Anyway, my vote is for Ice Fields. Minus the slip. It had great bases.

Ken said:
It has 4 Banshees.
Don't remember that many. But then again, a downed Banshee would just get lost for the whole game because of how hard it'd be to travel to it.

Am I reading this right...

If I only have the CEA I can either play the CE campaign or Reach's MM only on the included 7 maps.

If I have Reach, I can download those 7 maps in order to integrate them with all other dlc?

Whoa. I'm gone for a few hours and there's so much knowledge being dropped on my bitch ass right now.

New Frankie update? New Sparkast?

It's my birthday and Christmas all rolled into one.

Seriously, 343, I have so much faith that you guys will carry the franchise with as much care and fan attention as Bungie.

My one wish out of all of this: Please give us a playlist that feels like the core Halo experience of the past. If you guys can't split the core audience, then please bring us back to Reach.

I know I sound ungrateful, but I mean it in the most humbling, whimpering, pathetically sad way. It's raining, and you hear a scratching noise at your doorstep.

You grab a shotgun and yell for your loved ones to hide in the nuclear bunker you made, just in case.

You open the door, and there I am -- a sad puppy, lost and lonely. Take me inside your warm house, 343. It's cold out here.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hydranockz said:
Am I reading this right...

If I only have the CEA I can either play the CE campaign or Reach's MM only on the included 7 maps.

If I have Reach, I can download those 7 maps in order to integrate them with all other dlc?

Sounds right.

edit: Any Zune love yet for the Sparkcast. I wanna listen to it while I'm in bed. LOL that sounds really weird but I listen to podcasts as I'm falling asleep lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Any chance of someone summing up the info that's been dropped? Also I see no milking comments in other franchise threads, gotta love how Halo is still hated now even with the CoD machine looming about.

Tunavi

Banned
Lyphen said:

omg I forgot about ice Canyon. super nostalgia bomb.

neoism

Plywood said:
Any chance of someone summing up the info that's been dropped? Also I see no milking comments in other franchise threads, gotta love how Halo is still hated now even with the CoD machine looming about.
I'm probably the only one that was a little mad that 4 is coming in 2012... 2 years is NOT long enough for a Halo title. :/...It will be a sad day when they start releasing premiere Halo title year after year. Halo 5 and 6 better be on the next XBox... :/

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
LOL I just tried to go into the other Halo threads in the gaming side. Man, I just get so worked up at the general GAF sometimes. I write these long posts disgusted about how people don't know what the fuck they're talking about and then I just delete them and sigh. I'm just going to stay here.

GhaleonEB

neoism said:
thank you sooooo much.. :O
There's a long list of things in Halo 1's physics engine and gameplay that I'm going to be very sad to see return; or more accurately, some things I will be sad to see return, and some things I'm going to dearly miss that were added over the course of the series that would be wonderful in Halo. Outside of player movement and all that, a lot of very cool and fun and functional stuff was added to the series over time and I'm really sad that it will all be ditched and lots of problems returned in the name of nostalgia. I'm debating whether to shit up this thread or the one on the gaming side with the list.

Probably the latter.
Tashi0106 said:
LOL I just tried to go into the other Halo threads in the gaming side. Man, I just get so worked up at the general GAF sometimes. I write these long posts disgusted about how people don't know what the fuck they're talking about and then I just delete them and sigh. I'm just going to stay here.
This is the correct way to handle Halo threads on the gaming side. That or add people to ignore like a motherfucker until it becomes bearable (which is my approach).

Tashi0106 said:
Is that what happened to Sai-kun? I'm avoiding that thread like the plague.

Tashi0106 said:
I have been there. A dark place indeed. I feel as though for the safety of my account I should just stick to this Safe Haven....
hhhnnng *infected*

I'm very, very upset that the trailer takes place right after halo 3, they could have orbited around it or something for a while. being woken right after halo 3 ended? Pointless. I feel cheated.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
neoism said:
I'm probably the only one that was a little mad that 4 is coming in 2012... 2 years is NOT long enough for a Halo title. :/...It will be a sad day when they start releasing premiere Halo title year after year. Halo 5 and 6 better be on the next XBox... :/
Well how long has it been in development for?

Unless you mean you feel Reach didn't get enough breathing room, I guess Reach was more like a distraction while 343i was cooking up there own thing. Which makes sense considering the backlash in response to a number of gameplay elements and the heavy criticism laid into it. Not to discredit Reach for what it has done, it's a good game, but it's not necessarily a good Halo.
A27_StarWolf said:
I'm very, very upset that the trailer takes place right after halo 3, they could have orbited around it or something for a while. being woken right after halo 3 ended? Pointless. I feel cheated.
Except you don't know how long he's been floating around. Or has that been answered somewhere?

Havok

Plywood said:

Unless you mean you feel Reach didn't get enough breathing room, I guess Reach was more like a distraction while 343i was cooking up there own thing. Which makes sense considering the backlash in response to a number of gameplay elements and the heavy criticism laid into it. Not to discredit Reach for what it has done, it's a good game, but it's not necessarily a good Halo.
A tweet from a 343 employee said he had been working on it for four years (which brings the total to five years from conception to release). That seems like easily enough time to establish great new lore and flesh out a style that is new but familiar. Edit: Looking up a few dates, four years doesn't necessarily jive with when Frank left Bungie, but 343 was established in 2007, so I guess it makes sense.

As for Reach not having enough time...I'll just say I agree with you.

neoism

GhaleonEB said:
There's a long list of things in Halo 1's physics engine and gameplay that I'm going to be very sad to see return; or more accurately, some things I will be sad to see return, and some things I'm going to dearly miss that were added over the course of the series that would be wonderful in Halo. Outside of player movement and all that, a lot of very cool and fun and functional stuff was added to the series over time and I'm really sad that it will all be ditched and lots of problems returned in the name of nostalgia. I'm debating whether to shit up this thread or the one on the gaming side with the list.

Probably the latter.

This is the correct way to handle Halo threads on the gaming side. That or add people to ignore like a motherfucker until it becomes bearable (which is my approach).
I know what you mean, but it is still Halo 1, making it play like anything else would be sooo wrong. I've learned to ignore general gaf...99% of the time they don't know what the fuck they are talking about. Plus Warthog jumping in the Reach Engine :p:p:p:p:p :D :D

Zalinkrow has been bringing up some interesting questions (which I have butchered)... What subsection of Reach MM will be applicable for people who only have HCEA? They will be able to play the 7 maps sure, but can they rank up? If so, will they be able to complete Daily Challenges? What about Campaign/FF challenges so? Would this possibly allow the Challenges system to integrate with the CE campaign or would it be more likely tied to Waypoint career goals?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The excuses for no MP on live are just that, excuses.

First, gonna throw the "fragmenting the user base" thing right out the window with what I've been saying for weeks. Call Of Duty. How does that even work? We get to buy a new game and are willing to play a new game yet we don't get it because we still want people buying Reach? I assume the game discs will be set up ala ODST with the MP on a separate disc, so what would be the reason to buy Reach at that point? The campaign? Uh...

Second, I don't really care for the technical limitations excuse, Xbox Connect and the tunneling programs that have been around for years and years. It didn't change the game to play it over the internet.

LAUGHTREY said:
The excuses for no MP on live are just that, excuses.

First, gonna throw the "fragmenting the user base" thing right out the window with what I've been saying for weeks. Call Of Duty. How does that even work? We get to buy a new game and are willing to play a new game yet we don't get it because we still want people buying Reach? I assume the game discs will be set up ala ODST with the MP on a separate disc, so what would be the reason to buy Reach at that point? The campaign? Uh...

Second, I don't really care for the technical limitations excuse, Xbox Connect and the tunneling programs that have been around for years and years. It didn't change the game to play it over the internet.
Disc only contains the 7 remakes. No other Reach maps.

Halo pistol is OP to hell and back too.

Tunavi

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
Forward Unto Dawn splits in half -> Master Chief goes to bed -> a long time passes -> Halo 3 legendary ending -> Halo 4 teaser

A27_StarWolf said:
NO. NO NO NO.

The teaser takes place after the LEGENDARY ending. As in the post-credits scene.

You know, that scene that could very well be hundreds of years after the pre-credits scene?

It's not 5 minutes after the Ark was destroyed or after the Arbiter crashed on Earth.

neoism

Plywood said:

Except you don't know how long he's been floating around. Or has that been answered somewhere?
I do... but that's coming from a guy that LOVES Reach, as in it's my favorite online Shooter. :p
EVER
I know some fans like to think Bungie made this game "not like Halo" so it wouldn't be as popular, but I really think Bungie made their best game in the series. Most fans want the game to play the same... I don't. That's why I'm done with the COD series.

I'm pretty sure 4 has been in the planning stages probably from a few months after Halo 3's launch... just guessing.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Havok said:
A tweet from a 343 employee said he had been working on it for four years (which brings the total to five years from conception to release). That seems like easily enough time to establish great new lore and flesh out a style that is new but familiar. Edit: Looking up a few dates, four years doesn't necessarily jive with when Frank left Bungie, but 343 was established in 2007, so I guess it makes sense.

As for Reach not having enough time...I'll just say I agree with you.
I guess that jibes with my theory that Reach was a distraction, but adding onto that I guess it was also an experiment to see how much you can change the formula and get away with. I recall Frankie saying something along the lines of the formula not needing to be changed, but to be tweaked. Something to that effect.
Tashi0106 said:
Don't see anyone bat an eye or bitch about milking in MGS/ZoE collection thread or God of War origins thread.

CE Remake, all new graphics and music for 10 year anniversary = Milking

MGS/ZoE Collection, ports with anti-aliasing = Not milking.

God of War Origins = 3d+AA = Not milking.

*Sigh* So dumb.

Still want to buy ZoE Collection though.

GhaleonEB

neoism said:
I know what you mean, but it is still Halo 1, making it play like anything else would be sooo wrong. I've learned to ignore general gaf...99% of the time they don't know what the fuck they are talking about. Plus Warthog jumping in the Reach Engine :p:p:p:p:p :D :D
Two short examples about physics.

In Halo 1, physics were really limited applied only to a few things. So those purple Covenant weapon crates (which do not actually hold weapons in Halo 1) might as well be trees; they can't move. No physics. In fact, there are no movable objects other than enemies, vehicles and weapons.

The impact of moving vehicles is binary; get touched by a Warthog moving at 5 mph and you don't get thumped and take a little damage, you die. Makes vehicle/infantry play fidgety and annoying. That should be fixed, but it sounds like it's not.

Modestly long rant going into the Gaming side thread later tonight. Stuff like that can be fixed without ruining the game, but they're not due to an abundance of caution to preserve the original experience. I can respect that, but I don't like it.

Havok

LAUGHTREY said:
Call Of Duty. How does that even work?
I just want to address this point, with no strong feelings one way or the other about the multiplayer component issue at hand. This works for Call of Duty because Call of Duty is way, way, way more popular than Halo these days, and can afford to split people between three or four games while two of them are beating Reach by themselves, and the remaining two are within the top twelve. In another two or three years, they'll start seeing the same diminishing returns that Halo would face. It's not an apples to apples comparison, not by a long stretch.

Top Bottom