• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

After watching all the video's and interviews about 343i, I'm a believer. These guys get it.

Please god tweak the game so it's more like the Halo I grew up with.

Karl2177

So, I'm finally getting around to listening to the Sparkast, and I lol'd so hard when they said, "Dip themselves in the waters of Lake Minnetonka..."

GhaleonEB

Sikamikanico said:
After watching all the video's and interviews about 343i, I'm a believer. These guys get it.
I want to be a believer, and I'm encouraged by all the noises coming from 343i. I think they really want to do right by Halo and the community that loves it. But to me it's all about the content, so I'm still in the cautious optimism stage. Unearthed was a rough lesson in close but no quite, a truly huge missed opportunity, and I've made my views of the overly cautious approach to the Anniversary edition already known. I can tell their heart is in the right place and I'm rooting for them to pull it off, but that's not enough. I think the first real window we'll get into where things are going in August, with 343i's first playlist update.

I'm liking what we're learning about the terminals, and about possible ways to extend the campaign (skulls or some equivalent).

GhaleonEB

Blue Ninja said:
I was hoping for a Theater mode. Oh well.
I'll be truly shocked if theater is not included. It would be a real reagression in feature set and quality. I'm hoping the menu was missing beacuse they just haven't announced it yet.

Then again, hammering out the nuts and bolts of how theater works was something wired into the core of Halo 3 and Reach's engine. So if they're replicating the original Halo engine and truly just adding a new graphics shell....no theater, no screenshots. Which would be an enormous loss.
Ramirez said:
Why would you want a theater for the campaign of a 10 year old game? There's millions of videos on YT already showing pretty much everything possible in the game...
Because I have never been able to record my games or make clips or take screenshots of the first Halo, and since it now has online co-op, being able to save, clip and share co-op shenanegans would be very nice. In case you haven't noticed - and it seems you somehow have not - I and many others like to do those things. They are now standard features of Halo games, included in the past three releases. A Halo release that cuts them out loses much.

Also, didn't CA make Unearthed?
In collaboration with 343i.

Ramirez

Why would you want a theater for the campaign of a 10 year old game? There's millions of videos on YT already showing pretty much everything possible in the game...

Wizman23

Banned
Its been interesting to watch "some" people on here already starting to discredit 343i just because their love for bungie is so obvious and strong. Can't wait to see reactions when screen shots and gameplay get shown. I predict reactions similar to when the Reach beta first launched.

Put me in the camp that has 100% faith in 343i.

feel

Hitmonchan107 said:
Who wants to guess what's in the Extras menu?

My guess: Fusion Frenzy HD demo.
And amped and Munch's, if they're not all there, 343i has failed. If MS decided to sell xbox360 compatible Duke controllers for a limited time to celebrate CEmake's release, I would totally buy a couple.

GhaleonEB

Wizman23 said:
Its been interesting to watch "some" people on here already starting to discredit 343i just because their love for bungie is so obvious and strong. Can't wait to see reactions when screen shots and gameplay get shown. I predict reactions similar to when the Reach beta first launched.
Who? I haven't seen anyone trying to discredit 343i. Not sure if you mean in this thread or the others on the gaming side, which I pay less attention to.

Ramirez said:
So you're bummed you can't make picture stories on GAF, ok.
I'm bummed that a feature I like to use and have grown used to over the past three Halo releases might not be in place. I have hundreds of screenshots from the Halo 3 campaign, and from Reach, and hundreds of rendered films from both. Your constant inability to empathize with another human being who does not share your exact opinion is once again on display.

You and I like very different things about Halo. The difference I don't go out of my way to be a dick about your preferences.

Ramirez

GhaleonEB said:
Because I have never been able to record my games or make clips or take screenshots of the first Halo, and since it now has online co-op, being able to save, clip and share co-op shenanegans would be very nice. In case you haven't noticed - and it seems you somehow have not - I and many others like to do those things. They are now standard features of Halo games, included in the past three releases. A Halo release that cuts them out loses much.

If they didn't even bother to port the MP over, I don't see them bothering with theater, such a tiny fraction of the userbase would use it.

I predict reactions similar to when the Reach beta first launched.

So you think we're all going to hate it? Awesome.

Ken

I'm fine with Halo: CEA not having a remade MP on Live. I'd rather not ruin my Halo: CE MP LAN memories with today's Live community.

Ken said:
I'm fine with Halo: CEA not having a remade MP on Live. I'd rather not ruin my Halo: CE MP LAN memories with today's Live community.

How would playing a remake on LIVE ruin memories from ten years ago LANing with friends?

Dax01 said:
GREAT news. I loved the way ODST told Sadie's story. Really glad to hear it's returning for Anniversary.

Eh, except that the voice acting in Sadies story was the worst in the Halo games. Cringeworthy and embarrassing. The actual story was kinda weak, too, even if some of the symbolism and allegory as surprisingly clever.

Ramirez said:

Why wouldn't you want it? I know you don't care much for the Halo campaign, but not being able to fully enjoy the new graphical updates would be a shame.

Thagomizer said:
Eh, except that the voice acting in Sadies story was the worst in the Halo games. Cringeworthy and embarrassing. The actual story was kinda weak, too, even if some of the symbolism and allegory as surprisingly clever.
I was specifically applauding the presentation of Sadie's story, not the actual content. :)
Ramirez said:
I enjoy taking screenshots. I have a whole folder filled with Halo screenshots. Here's my most recent.
daJ9f.jpg

Steelyuhas said:
As for Halo CE multiplayer, I didn't expect it because I knew/hoped that 343i realized that it would be nearly impossibly to replicate what CE was online. I didn't want to see how horrifying CE's true mechanics worked in an online environment without making the 3sk automatic (which would be bad, the enormous skill gap is one of the things that makes CE so good).
I don't think it would be as bad as people claim. Just having a game with hitscan and no bloom would be enough to induce euphoria and cause people to overlook a lot of shortcomings. Also, what is the difference between having an old experienced ruined by a remake, versus playing old maps (which never play like the original) on a newer game. Those both seem supported by a lot of people, but the two are completely at odds with each other. I would have given/paid hundreds of dollars for Halo:CE's original multiplayer side of the game to be on xbox-live, but now I'll just have to stomach the fact that it's not happening. Looking down the road, 343i could pull a gem out of their butts with Halo4, but for now I'm staying on the cautious side like Ghaleon.

Crucio

In my opinion I think that a Theatres mode for Halo: CEA is simply impossi ble. Unless the "second engine" was designed with it in mind. But since this is but an old game with a new skin it seems very unlikely.

Truthfully theatre mode was made for multiplayer bragging. Since they didn't make CEA MP it would be safe to assume that theatre mode wasn't made either.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I believe 343 will definitely have better in-game storytelling. Bungie lost their way a bit after Halo 2 though ODST was a bright spot, but the story immersion/motivation was lacking for me in 3 and Reach. For 3 I probably had high expectations, but Reach just never grabbed me like an engrossing novel or movie can.

Ken

The Real Napsta said:
How would playing a remake on LIVE ruin memories from ten years ago LANing with friends?

Under the assumption that if MP was remade it would be in the same manner as the campaign, it's still the same game from 10 years ago.

I suppose I should have said experiences instead of memories since the former can change. Say I had fun playing a certain gametype on a certain map on LAN 10 years ago. If I get the same game on CEA Live and constantly get betrayed for Sniper and Rockets, I'm having a much worse experience than before. Although it now resides in the online environment rather than the offline, it's still the same game but it's providing a much worse experience than before.

While not the same, the transition from ODST's Firefight to Halo: Reach's Firefight was similar in my opinion. I had a ton of fun playing Firefight because I was always playing with people I chose to play with due to the lack of matchmaking. In Reach, my experiences with most of the Firefight community through matchmaking are less than amazing thanks to the idlers, betrayers, and griefers I didn't have to put up with in ODST. It's still Firefight, but the Firefight in 2009 provided a much better experience than the Firefight in 2010.

Dax01 said:
I have a whole folder filled with Halo screenshots.
Don't forget the thread you made again.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407826

Two changes for Actionsack:
1. Lower the amount of points to win in To The Death! from 50 to 25.
2. Remove Shotty Snipers. That gametype is far too competitive for the playlist and it's not what would consider a "whacky gametype."

Dax01 said:
Two changes for Actionsack:
1. Lower the amount of points to win in To The Death! from 50 to 25.
2. Remove Shotty Snipers. That gametype is far too competitive for the playlist and it's not what would consider a "whacky gametype."

I believe that To The Death! is just being removed altogether. Not sure how that ever made it into the playlist in the first place. It may be the worst matchmaking gametype I have ever played in a Halo game.

I LOL'd hard at the MJ GIF, and I agree.

Hope the update comes out today.

I'm just gonna throw this out there:

What if the 7 new Halo CEA maps have the Halo CE weapons as options?

It is possible to add new weapons because weapon data is in each map. It could be the something that would make it "more classic" that Frankie couldn't talk about.

I know it's a long shot, and I'm not gonna get my hopes up, but it would be a good compromise between actually Halo CE MP and Reach MP.

It also might explain why the 7 maps and only the 7 maps are playable from the Halo CEA disc, even though they can be exported to Reach.

Blue Ninja said:
I was hoping for a Theater mode. Oh well.

I guess you're going on the main menu screenshot? I didn't even think about that. I love taking campaign photos.

God, if there's no theatre mode....
glasscaseofemotion.gif

That's going to destroy any good will I had toward this remake. Without theatre mode, this really feels like too little an offering. I could deal with no "upgraded" gameplay (suicide grunts, vehicle boarding). And terminals don't really interest me. CE Multiplayer being absent was dealwithable. But I wanted to be able to share and preserve my CE play. I wanted photos & video of me tricking. I can really understand Ghaleon saying in essence this is the same game that's available from the Marketplace right now.

There's just got to be Theatre mode. There's Reach multiplayer on the disc. Surely you can record in that. Unless... you can only record in that mode and Theatre is nested in that submenu.

GAH! Does anyone know anything. Someone put me out of my misery.

The Real Napsta said:

It is possible to add new weapons because weapon data is in each map. It could be the something that would make it "more class" that Frankie couldn't take about.

I know it's a long shot, and I'm not gonna get my hopes up, but it would be a good compromise between actually Halo CE MP and Reach MP.

It also might explain why the 7 maps and only the 7 maps are playable from the Halo CEA disc, even though they can be exported to Reach.

I think it would be possible to do that. There could be a 'classic' mode of playlists in Reach for only the CEA maps that have Halo CE weapons.

Then of course the maps would have all the normal Reach stuff for use in regular Reach MM and customs.

Ken

The Real Napsta said:

Including Reach's launch maps in CEA along with the 7 new maps would make Halo: Reach obsolete for people looking for just Reach's MP. People who never touched Reach but enjoyed CE are going to pick up CEA, play multiplayer on the 7 maps they are limited to, and for those whose interest in Reach's MP is piqued, they are going to go out and get copies of Reach for the launch maps along with the DLC. I'm betting that that's one of the motives for including Reach's MP in CEA at all, rather than just adding in a code for the DLC in every copy of CEA.

I'm guessing the Extras menu will lead to Halo 4 trailers and previews, Behind the Scenes features on CEA, and the option to export the Reach maps.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
The Real Napsta said:

It is possible to add new weapons because weapon data is in each map. It could be the something that would make it "more classic" that Frankie couldn't talk about.

The real question, can they make it so you don't have any armor abilities? Perhaps they will just restrict everyone to a sprint AA.

Hydranockz said:
Priceless :lol I mean wow, really? Really? That's a pretty big leap to make. Heck, you'd need a jetpack to get you across that chasm you just made.
I guess I didn't really know how to write out what I was thinking. But a person could literally spend months to years tapping into the power of the pistol and I don't know how else to describe that kind of depth. I don't know of any other console FPS game with a weapon like that. I'm not talking about just spending time with the game and getting better at that game over time; I'm talking about spending time with a single specific weapon within a game that allows a person to squeeze even more lethality out of it even after that weapon was thought to be mastered.

I could still be talking out of my rear, but I know there is something special about the pistol in Halo:CE that hasn't been duplicated since that time in any console/PC FPS. Or at least that is what I would argue.

Ken

LunaticPuma said:
The real question, can they make it so you don't have any armor abilities? Perhaps they will just restrict everyone to a sprint AA.
I recall some game types in matchmaking with no AAs.

LunaticPuma said:

You can do that in Reach now.

But the maps are designed to accommodate Reach's default gameplay. I.E. connected the gaps at the bottom of Damnation so you can sprint across.

Deputy Moonman said:
I guess I didn't really know how to write out what I was thinking. But a person could literally spend months to years tapping into the power of the pistol and I don't know how else to describe that kind of depth. I don't know of any other console FPS game with a weapon like that. I'm not talking about just spending time with the game and getting better at that game over time; I'm talking about spending time with a single specific weapon within a game that allows a person to squeeze even more lethality out of it even after that weapon was thought to be mastered.

I could still be talking out of my rear, but I know there is something special about the pistol in Halo:CE that hasn't been duplicated since that time in any console/PC FPS. Or at least that is what I would argue.

The CE Pistol is magic, plain and simple. The fact that Frankie said that the Pistol is overpowered is a little concerning to me when it comes to 343's MP offerings in the future.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Steelyuhas said:

But the maps are designed to accommodate Reach's default gameplay. I.E. connected the gaps at the bottom of Damnation so you can sprint across.

I know it could be done, but the gametype without AA's was bugged so that people would occasionally spawn with sprint. What I want to know is if this has been fixed or not. The anniversary maps may not necessarily be designed to suit all of the AA's which is fine if they're trying to retain the original feel.

LunaticPuma said:
I know it could be done, but the gametype without AA's was bugged so that people would occasionally spawn with sprint. What I want to know is if this has been fixed or not. The anniversary maps may not necessarily be designed to suit all of the AA's which is fine if they're trying to retain the original feel.

You never have AA's in the classic playlist, so whatever bug was plaguing that must be fixed.

Steelyuhas said:
The CE Pistol is magic, plain and simple. The fact that Frankie said that the Pistol is overpowered is a little concerning to me when it comes to 343's MP offerings in the future.
For me, the zoom makes the pistol. I would've been perfectly fine if the ODST pistol were submitted in place of the pistol we have in Reach. Yes, I do like the pistol in Reach, but I mainly see the pistol to disrupt the DMR/BR/Carbine/Nerfle wielder from killing you from long range.

Dax01 said:
For me, the zoom makes the pistol. I would've been perfectly fine if the ODST pistol were submitted in place of the pistol we have in Reach. Yes, I do like the pistol in Reach, but I mainly see the pistol to disrupt the DMR/BR/Carbine/Nerfle wielder from killing you from long range.

The zoom is definitely one of the things that I love about it as well. Reach's pistol is my favorite in the series except for CE's, but its a shame because it is so close to being incredible. Go back to how it was in the beta and gimmie that 12 round clip!

Tunavi

Banned
The 7 maps:
We know about Damnation, Battle Creek, and Hang Em High.
As for the PC map, I think I would be okay with Timberlands, but Death Island without Banshees would be pretty awesome.
As for the other 3, I'd like Relic, Headlong, and Terminal.

Extras will be for the Halo 4 beta.
Also...holy shit, Halo 2 had a lot of maps.

Edit: Yeah watching Beta Pistol gameplay makes me sad. The bloom is fucking huge now...

Tunavi said:
The 7 maps:
As for the PC map, I think I would be okay with Timberlands, but Death Island without Banshees would be pretty awesome.

Prisoner!

Honestly, I would rather have Sidewinder than Timberlands, or any of the PC maps for that matter, but Timberlands is still a good map.

We should get Sanctuary because there certainly isn't a remake of that in Reach.
It's a joke, I don't actually want one of the CEA maps to be Sanctuary

Ramirez

squidhands said:
Why wouldn't you want it? I know you don't care much for the Halo campaign, but not being able to fully enjoy the new graphical updates would be a shame.

I personally would never use it.

Steelyuhas said:

If you look closely, you can see those are forge pieces. (I think they are anyway)

Tunavi said:
The 7 maps:

Edit: Yeah watching Beta Pistol gameplay makes me sad. The bloom is fucking huge now...
I really want a Relic remake. If 343 is tweaking the game to make it feel like the previous games, then I want Relic.

But, of course, you wouldn't be able to throw that map into a playlist with Jetpacks.

Striker

I think the changes to Damnation will, hopefully, be accommodated to help smooth and keep the gameflow going. They improved the hell out of Battle Creek, Wizard, Hang 'em High, Longest, Derelict, and Blood Gulch in every way, especially Coagulation which received more serious changes than those others. If you make the right changes, i.e. Coag, it works beautifully. If you mess those up, you get Blackout.

Ramirez

I don't think you're going to see any weapons specific to these maps, that would be a lot of work/balancing to do, considering not all of the maps are from CE. At best, I think we can hope to see the removal of bloom, tweaked nades/weapon damage, and a retooling of the melee system. I do hope however, that whatever changes they make can be applied to all of the Reach maps, and not just these 7.

Top Bottom