• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Booshka

The Shadowrun Rifle is the Halo CE Pistol reborn btw, it shoots at the same speed feels the same, and sounds awesome. It also has the same potential for extreme lethality, although 2-shots and 3-shots in SR are as hard if not harder than a 3-shot in Halo CE. The only issue for comparison is that you have to be crouched to fire it well, but it still feels amazing.

Ramirez said:
I don't think you're going to see any weapons specific to these maps, that would be a lot of work/balancing to do, considering not all of the maps are from CE. At best, I think we can hope to see the removal of bloom, tweaked nades/weapon damage, and a retooling of the melee system. I do hope however, that whatever changes they make can be applied to all of the Reach maps, and not just these 7.
I would do terrible things to see bloom removed on even one map.

Tunavi said:
Im so glad that guy asked Jeremiah. :p

I saw your reply haha

Somebody has to go out and get sweet juicy info while you scrubs just hang out here!

Also, that super jackpot worked in raising the Arena population significantly after the weekend. It's sitting at 4,200 right now. I don't think I've ever seen it that high.

Striker

Hitmonchan107 said:
I would do terrible things to see bloom removed on even one map.
They would have to go through weapon damage settings for DMR and the Pistol if so. There would be no reason to pick up another weapon sans a power weapon when you have an almighty non-bloom hitscan DMR with its range and scope. The Pistol is still a viable weapon now, but has limited range due to bloom. It would be a big time weapon as well if bloom got removed and received no changes to damage.

Striker said:
They would have to go through weapon damage settings for DMR and the Pistol if so. There would be no reason to pick up another weapon sans a power weapon when you have an almighty non-bloom hitscan DMR with its range and scope. The Pistol is still a viable weapon now, but has limited range due to bloom. It would be a big time weapon as well if bloom got removed and received no changes to damage.
My guess? 343 will either add recoil or tweak weapon firing rates. These are ways that will ensure the "pacing of shots" that Bungie wanted while removing the random element of bloom.

GhaleonEB said:
The DMR would hurt it as well, since the 3x zoom and added precision would allow players on the top of the structure to hit attackers from their base with ease.
True.

The real question is how 343 would differentiate between the Nerfle and the DMR if bloom was removed.

DMR -> less recoil, slower rate of fire
Nerfle -> higher recoil, higher rate of fire

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
I really want a Relic remake. If 343 is tweaking the game to make it feel like the previous games, then I want Relic.

But, of course, you wouldn't be able to throw that map into a playlist with Jetpacks.
The DMR would hurt it as well, since the 3x zoom and added precision would allow players on the top of the structure to hit attackers from their base with ease.

The idea that 343 could do something different with these maps because they're new - like including classic weapons - is interesting. I had assumed they were going to do some kind of update to provide the options to enable classic settins more precisely, such allowing damage for melee, weapon, and grenades to be adjusted one at a time (so classic won't have over power grenades in order to get a 4-shot kill, for instance).

Edit: the playlist update will "very probably" come out today.

GhaleonEB said:

The idea that 343 could do something different with these maps because they're new - like including classic weapons - is interesting. I had assumed they were going to do some kind of update to provide the options to enable classic settins more precisely, such allowing damage for melee, weapon, and grenades to be adjusted one at a time (so classic won't have over power grenades in order to get a 4-shot kill, for instance).

Edit: the playlist update will "very probably" come out today.

If 343 is actually concerned with not fragmenting the user base though, adding CE weapons to the new maps wouldn't be wise. Adding the weapons to those maps basically makes it a MP CE remake and I for one would never go back to default Reach with its iffy maps and gameplay when I could basically play CE on six incredible maps.

I think adding more custom options to the game is more likely, which would hopefully include to TU to Reach to give Reach the new options as well.

Steelyuhas said:
If 343 is actually concerned with not fragmenting the user base though, adding CE weapons to the new maps wouldn't be wise. Adding the weapons to those maps basically makes it a MP CE remake and I for one would never go back to default Reach with its iffy maps and gameplay when I could basically play CE on six incredible maps.

I think adding more custom options to the game is more likely, which would hopefully include to TU to Reach to give Reach the new options as well.
But you would still technically be playing Reach.

I think it's a smart decision, and one that would make Reach a contender for the top of the XBL charts again.

There is a ton of great news going around right now, but it does leave me wondering something?

What about traditional DLC for Reach? I love the idea of remakes included in CEA, but what about new original maps? Or remakes from H2 and H3? With CEA and Halo 4 focus coming soon, I hope we dont get shafted on DLC. Reach could benefit from a wider range of maps play styles and new interesting environments and settings to keep things fresh.

GhaleonEB

Steelyuhas said:

They've said something about doing some special classic things with the maps in matchmaking. I took that to mean something like the current Classic playlist. The maps would be spread throughout the playlists as with the past two map packs, and a "Classic" one also added for those maps - if there are map-specific settings/weapons - or for all remakes if there is a global solution.

In either case, it would be part of the Reach matchmaking suite, rather than a stand alone game.
Demoncarnotaur said:
There is a ton of great news going around right now, but it does leave me wondering something?

What about traditional DLC for Reach? I love the idea of remakes included in CEA, but what about new original maps? Or remakes from H2 and H3? With CEA and Halo 4 focus coming soon, I hope we dont get shafted on DLC. Reach could benefit from a wider range of maps play styles and new interesting environments and settings to keep things fresh.
I think the seven maps included with the new Halo release effectively is the next round of DLC, sort of like the Mythic maps for Halo 3 (six maps, split into two map packs). I'd expect Microsoft will release the maps bundled with the package as stand alone DLC some time down the road, as they did with the three exclusive maps bundled with ODST.

GhaleonEB said:
They've said something about doing some special classic things with the maps in matchmaking. I took that to mean something like the current Classic playlist. The maps would be spread throughout the playlists as with the past two map packs, and a "Classic" one also added for those maps - if there are map-specific settings/weapons - or for all remakes if there is a global solution.

In either case, it would be part of the Reach matchmaking suite, rather than a stand alone game.

Although technically still a part of Reach, it would still be like abandoning Reach IMO because who is going to play TS with armor lock on Pinnacle when they can essentially play CE? I would never play the default Reach again. Not saying I would complain if this happened, but I feel its not something they would do. I'd put my money on new options that can create much better classic gametypes than what is currently in MM.

New playlists:
Flag.png

Doubles.png

Premium.png

I love that Premium is both disc and DLC maps, but it seems like such a waste to it just be Slayer. 'Most Pit' that shit!

Also:
battle.png

Ramirez

Striker said:
They would have to go through weapon damage settings for DMR and the Pistol if so. [/b]There would be no reason to pick up another weapon sans a power weapon[/b] when you have an almighty non-bloom hitscan DMR with its range and scope. The Pistol is still a viable weapon now, but has limited range due to bloom. It would be a big time weapon as well if bloom got removed and received no changes to damage.

There's already no reason to do that with bloom as well. I never pick anything up aside from a DMR/NR/Power Weapon unless I'm just messing around with BKs.

But I mean yea, they would have to lock the RoF on the weapons, it would be a pretty substantial update to the game, which is why I'm not so sure that it will happen.

LoL, they just had to sneak Invasion/Hot Potato into battle, huh? -_-

Kuroyume

Banned
I'm already a 1-3 weapon guy anyway. When I play the game I'm always using either the pistol, DMR, or needle rifle. Removing bloom would just keep me using the same weapons. Besides those weapons and the power weapons who ever uses anything else? AR? No. Plasma Reapter? No. Not going to use those weapons even with bloom.

Striker

Ramirez said:
There's already no reason to do that with bloom as well. I never pick anything up aside from a DMR/NR/Power Weapon unless I'm just messing around with BKs.

But I mean yea, they would have to lock the RoF on the weapons, it would be a pretty substantial update to the game, which is why I'm not so sure that it will happen.
I s'pose I should've rearranged what I wrote. The AR start games would become a bigger serious disadvantage.

In Halo 2, the SMG was a weakling vs. the BR, but at least up close it had the dual wielding factor shredding players. That, alone, is far greater than any automatic weapon we currently have in Reach and did have in Halo 3.

re: playlists

Four straight Slayer only playlists that are 4v4/5v5. -_-

They should have just made that and Squad Slayer together.

Premium Battle sounds interesting, at least. Primary objective games with a hint of Invasion, and there's even Assault! Hopefully it's Reach's version and not the gimpy, awful version that he made for BTB. Oh god Hot Potato? God damnit.

Tawpgun

I was under the impression that only CE maps were being remade. I hope I'm wrong.

Also eager to see what they can do to make classic feel more classic.

As for Extra Menu: Halo 2 XBLA. I'm dreaming way too high.

EDIT: It's donging time. Get on.

Detox

If there is no bloom and it is tied just to the maps on the remake I will never play Reach again. At this point I would be happy with Foundry remake and no bloom.

Tunavi

Banned
They've never said once that all the multiplayer maps are CE only. And we only get 6 because the firefight map counts as the seventh.

Its officially June, motherfuckers!

Tunavi said:
They've never said once that all the multiplayer maps are CE only. And we only get 6 because the firefight map counts as the seventh.

Its officially June, motherfuckers!
As in, it's live? If so, I'll let Grim know at HBO so he can run it. I'm about to get on the bus home.

Tunavi

Banned
Flagstrav - AR starts (at least 3-flag is. only variant I've played so far)
Premium Battle - So far so good. DLC in voting is sexy as shit

* Flagstravaganza is AR start. Like an objective playlist should be. Thanks and <3, Jeremiah!

WTF lol!

Well there are DMR pick ups on the map I played at least, so its kind of redeemed, but AR starts with DMR pick up just means the weaker team is going to get spawnkilled the hell out of lol!

neoism

man....... <3 I'm I the only one that absolutely loves the opening to this game. Goddamn it Marty, dat drum beat. I've watched it soo many times. <3 <3

So about Halo CEA masterchief. Or rather his helmet. I hope it looks more like this in its final revison-

mcfarlane-halo-40_786_poster.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
I think the seven maps included with the new Halo release effectively is the next round of DLC, sort of like the Mythic maps for Halo 3 (six maps, split into two map packs). I'd expect Microsoft will release the maps bundled with the package as stand alone DLC some time down the road, as they did with the three exclusive maps bundled with ODST.

I hope not. Like I said, I love remakes, but I really want some fresh maps, that look and play new. I hope they may have one map-pack between now and then, or a forgeworld 2.0. Actually I want both. It stinks, because forgeworlds have a ton of potential, and they seem underused. A variety of forge environments would be awesome, as well as maps with different weather or time of day. Alas. Maybe Halo 4.

So, 8 months between the Defiant Map Pack and the Classic Maps.

How does that compare to previous gaps in DLC for Reach, 3, 2? Seems like a long time, even though we are waiting on 6 new maps and not just 3.

*puts on tin foil hat, starts passing out grains of salt*

What if Bungie made one last map to give out for free on Bungie day?

*goes further into the rabbit hole*

What if that map was a new Forge World?

I'm curious to see how CEA maps are implemented into Reach matchmaking. Will you only be able to play Team Classic with the CEA disc? It just seems weird that everyone talks about CE multiplayer fragmenting the Reach player base when we're getting DLC that could very well have the same effect. I just don't want to have to wait ANOTHER 3 months before I can see those maps in more than one playlist. Of course I'm just wildly speculating, I trust that 343 knows what they're doing I'm just eager to see how it works.

Kibbles

HiredN00bs said:
I think anyone who thinks 343i is going to remove bloom in any respect in Reach is kidding themselves.
Having bloom in the CE maps in classic modes will automatically kill them.

Demoncarnotaur said:
So about Halo CEA masterchief. Or rather his helmet. I hope it looks more like this in its final revison-

mcfarlane-halo-40_786_poster.jpg

Where is that from? Is that the prototype for McFarlane's new line for Halo CEA? I want to buy it.

GhaleonEB

New Arcadefight loadouts are pretty awesome:

Jetpack - FRG - Needler

Sprint - Rockets - Pistol

Armor lock - Grenade launcer - Shotgun

Active Camo - Sniper - DMR

Hologram - Sword - Plamsa launcer​
Though, I'd rather have DMR with sprint.

Top Bottom