• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

GhaleonEB said:
New Arcadefight loadouts are pretty awesome:

Jetpack - FRG - Needler

Sprint - Rockets - Pistol

Armor lock - Grenade launcer - Shotgun

Active Camo - Sniper - DMR

Hologram - Sword - Plamsa launcer​
Though, I'd rather have DMR with sprint.
That's pretty sexy, although Camo is absolutely worthless in Firefight. Where the hell is hologram, that would be a lot more worthwhile. I'd probably never deviate from a package like that.

Striker

They probably figured Sprint/DMR would be a far too common choice. By that it looks like they wanted to change that.

Also, TO listing is changed on Bungie.net. As far as I can tell:

- Hemorrhage gone
- Stockpile gone
- Armor Lock, Drop Shield gone
- Team Headhunter still available :|
- Hot Potato is still available :|

Sibylus

Banned
Dax01 said:
If you're turning on fall damage for everything else, you're limiting player mobility and what the player can do in general. Sword Base would play differently without any fall damage. It contributes to the whole grounded feeling I really, really don't like about Reach, and that's part of the reason I'm not playing multiplayer as much as I did in Halo 3. With Reach's settings, I wouldn't have nearly as much fun in Avalanche and Valhalla (the two best BTB maps ever, thank you very much). I went back to Halo 3 a couple of days ago and it felt so refreshing; I felt like I could do anything.
As I said, I think this is a good thing in regards to terrain, because cost for traversal engenders interesting choices and sacrifices for players. There were very few of those in 2 and 3, because the barriers were only effectual going one way. Terrain that isn't free serves not only to constrain, but also to introduce another layer of decisions regarding equipment and movement for the player. You don't get nearly as much of that when terrain is a bumpy diving board with little consequence for poor traversal.

Now it seems here that you're going to all this trouble to add a bunch of ways to make the encounter work in spite of the jet pack when it would just be easier to remove the jet pack and go back to no fall damage.
Hmm? The tweak was to get it to mesh more nicely with fall damage, not the jetpack (which would work with it, fall damage or no). And really, what you talk about as trouble took all of two minutes to think about. There'd be no shortage of good solutions in the pot if the issue seriously came up.

Striker said:
They probably figured Sprint/DMR would be a far too common choice. By that it looks like they wanted to change that.

- Hemorrhage gone
- Stockpile gone
- Armor Lock, Drop Shield gone

What? Why would you take out Stockpile instead of Headhunter or Hot Potato? Thank the lord that Hemorrhage is done though.

Neutral flag has some issues with it. The Flag UI doesn't appear in the gametype and the announcer calls "Flag Stolen" whenever the flag is picked up, for both teams, so you don't if the other team picked it up or if yours did.

Striker

Steelyuhas said:
What? Why would you take out Stockpile instead of Headhunter or Hot Potato? Thank the lord that Hemorrhage is done though.

Neutral flag has some issues with it. The Flag UI doesn't appear in the gametype and the announcer calls "Flag Stolen" whenever the flag is picked up, for both teams, so you don't if the other team picked it up or if yours did.
I haven't gone in there, yet, so I was just speculating based on the listing from the site.

Stockpile I don't despise as much as Headhunter, but it should only be on symmetrical maps. We always saw it on Swordbase, Boardwalk, and Powerhouse. It would be more suitable on more balanced terrain like Countdown, Anchor 9, Zealot, and Asylum.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
That's pretty sexy, although Camo is absolutely worthless in Firefight. Where the hell is hologram, that would be a lot more worthwhile. I'd probably never deviate from a package like that.
Hologram is the last one listed. :p

And yeah, camo is worthless. The attacking squad always knows you are there per Firefight AI, camo or no camo.

GhaleonEB said:
Hologram is the last one listed. :p

And yeah, camo is worthless. The attacking squad always knows you are there per Firefight AI, camo or no camo.
DAMN MY EYES

g9nAf.jpg

too late

Havok

Striker said:

- Hemorrhage gone
Wh..why? I don't...

A) Headhunter and Hot Potato are crap. "Less fringe gametypes" my ass.
B) Don't remove Hemo unless you replace it with a large TO map that's as good. Its not a popular opinion, but some of the best Objective experiences I've had with Reach has been Multiflag on Hemo with a team that is communicating properly and where everything falls into place. There is now zero vehicle use in Objective, which is a travesty.

What a joke. As with the Big Team update, for every smart decision made there is a stupid one counteracting it.

Havok said:
Wh..why? I don't...

B) Don't remove Hemo unless you replace it with a large TO map that's as good. Its not a popular opinion, but some of the best Objective experiences I've had with Reach has been Multiflag on Hemo with a team that is communicating properly and where everything falls into place. There is now zero vehicle use in Objective, which is a travesty.

What a joke.

I HATE Hemo in TO. Glad it's gone.

Yeah some of these Objective decisions are puzzling. I'll have to head in there and actually check it out myself though.

Enclosed sucks, why do people vote for it everytime.

Dani said:
AR4LYFE

=/

HBO said:
I'm pretty sure they are intentional as starting with BR or DMR in CTF has always been massively stupid and just turns objective into Slayer. There's no point to having a good flag path when defenders don't have to worry about having bad decisions or positioning because they can just ping the flag carrier off spawn or across the map.

This is the way CTF should be, and not the stupid BR start shitfest that was in Halo 3.

SMH

I just dont understand the reasoning that goes behind that logic. Saying that Defenders could just ping him across the map makes me think he ran the flag back in the open field and got frustrated with the fact he was dieing. A flag carrier should be good enough to not only get the flag, but also be good enough to get it back to base and cap it whether that involves stealth/ good teamwork/ good use of cover/ the ability to actually defend yourself, most likely a mix of all. I havent played against good players who I could ping across the map with my BR simply because they made good use of the geometry. His teammates should have punished the defenders for being in bad positions and making bad decisions.

The problem with Flagstraveganza is that there are DMR and NR pick ups on the map, so that potentially gives the team who wipes the other team out early an advantage where they can also keep nicking the superior weapons. With just a Pistol to defend yourself your going to get spawn destroyed.

Botolf said:
As I said, I think this is a good thing in regards to terrain, because cost for traversal engenders interesting choices and sacrifices for players. There were very few of those in 2 and 3, because the barriers were only effectual going one way. Terrain that isn't free serves not only to constrain, but also to introduce another layer of decisions regarding equipment and movement for the player. You don't get nearly as much of that when terrain is a bumpy diving board with little consequence for poor traversal.

Hmm? The tweak was to get it to mesh more nicely with fall damage, not the jetpack (which would work with it, fall damage or no). And really, what you talk about as trouble took all of two minutes to think about. There'd be no shortage of good solutions in the pot if the issue seriously came up.
I just think the jetpack as a tool to traverse areas isn't different enough for me to warrant its existence, and I fundamentally disagree on fall damage. All you're doing is slowing the player down.

Havok

Steelyuhas said:
I HATE Hemo in TO. Glad it's gone.
It wasn't perfect, that's for sure, but I don't think the problems were anything that couldn't have been addressed using the tools they have at their disposal. Coagulation in Halo 2 worked beautifully in Team Skirmish (4v4), and the problem is that Hemorrhage is a terrible remake. Important details were wrong, such as the rocks at the tele exit, and the location of the exits for that matter. They said it was a direct geometry rip from Halo 2, but this isn't accurate. It's not possible to make the superior Coagulation bases, which would massively improve the shotgun camping that exists now. My stance is that if a map that is currently busted can be fixed with some simple changes, then do that instead of removing it. Regardless, it filled a much-needed void in the playlist - vehicle-based objective games.

Edit: You know, I said last week that I'd have liked to see greater detail on what exactly the Objective changes were going to be in the update. If we had gotten the full list instead of a vague statement about fringe gametypes, the outcry might have stopped this shit before it happened.

Sibylus

Banned
Dax01 said:
I just think the jetpack as a tool to traverse areas isn't different enough for me to warrant its existence, and I fundamentally disagree on fall damage. All you're doing is slowing the player down.
Well, as you said earlier, we'll have to agree to disagree.

*still hoping for fall damage and jetpacks in Halo 4*

Untracked

ncsuDuncan said:
*puts on tin foil hat, starts passing out grains of salt*

What if Bungie made one last map to give out for free on Bungie day?

*goes further into the rabbit hole*

What if that map was a new Forge World?

The stuff dreams are made of...
I honestly thought there would be a new FW in every map pack. I know we got most of the Forge World objects on Tempest but the budget was lacking. Missed opportunity.

I jumped on Reach for the first time in months tonight to have a fiddle with my wacky "Splash Damage" KOTH gametype/map in Forge. To get reaquainted I tried some Firefight Arcade with randoms...
I've since lost three hours and made no progress on the gametype, but I've finally been promoted to Colonel!

Havok said:
It wasn't perfect, that's for sure, but I don't think the problems were anything that couldn't have been addressed using the tools they have at their disposal. Coagulation in Halo 2 worked beautifully in Team Skirmish (4v4), and the problem is that Hemorrhage is a terrible remake. Important details were wrong, such as the rocks at the tele exit, and the location of the exits for that matter. They said it was a direct geometry rip from Halo 2, but this isn't accurate. It's not possible to make the superior Coagulation bases, which would massively improve the shotgun camping that exists now. My stance is that if a map that is currently busted can be fixed with some simple changes, then do that instead of removing it. Regardless, it filled a much-needed void in the playlist - vehicle-based objective games.

Edit: You know, I said last week that I'd have liked to see greater detail on what exactly the Objective changes were going to be in the update. If we had gotten the full list instead of a vague statement about fringe gametypes, the outcry might have stopped this shit before it happened.

But without those changes, the map is awful, especially for 4v4, and it is always AR starts.

I just played A9 in TO. I'm not sure how, but it was crazy. I think I might need to lie down for a bit.

Horrific connection though, I felt like I was playing Halo 3.

Also, with today's playlists and AR starts in 6v6, I really hope that Halo 4 has a single starting weapon. This smg AR/BR DMR stuff is awful. Give us a single heatshot, single shot weapon to start with. Pistol.

Demoncarnotaur said:
So about Halo CEA masterchief. Or rather his helmet. I hope it looks more like this in its final revison-

mcfarlane-halo-40_786_poster.jpg

I hope not. Like I said, I love remakes, but I really want some fresh maps, that look and play new. I hope they may have one map-pack between now and then, or a forgeworld 2.0. Actually I want both. It stinks, because forgeworlds have a ton of potential, and they seem underused. A variety of forge environments would be awesome, as well as maps with different weather or time of day. Alas. Maybe Halo 4.
McFarlane announced at the New York Toy Fair, that they will release a special set of action figures, because of the anniversary. You can pre-order them here. McFarlane will even release an "Evolution of the Master Chief" set.

Tawpgun

bobs99 ... said:
SMH

I just dont understand the reasoning that goes behind that logic. Saying that Defenders could just ping him across the map makes me think he ran the flag back in the open field and got frustrated with the fact he was dieing. A flag carrier should be good enough to not only get the flag, but also be good enough to get it back to base and cap it whether that involves stealth/ good teamwork/ good use of cover/ the ability to actually defend yourself, most likely a mix of all. I havent played against good players who I could ping across the map with my BR simply because they made good use of the geometry. His teammates should have punished the defenders for being in bad positions and making bad decisions.

The problem with Flagstraveganza is that there are DMR and NR pick ups on the map, so that potentially gives the team who wipes the other team out early an advantage where they can also keep nicking the superior weapons. With just a Pistol to defend yourself your going to get spawn destroyed.

Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

Alright, so we've confirmed 3flag and speedflag have AR's. Seems like the entire flag playlist is like that. Multiflag in Premium battle seems to be AR starts. Everything else is DMR starts.

Tunavi

Banned
Premium Battle rocks. Good games guys, lots of fun. I'll be on later for some Premium Slayer/Campaign Challenge/firefight doubles as well.

Striker

Havok said:
Wh..why? I don't...

What a joke. As with the Big Team update, for every smart decision made there is a stupid one counteracting it.
OK update: Headhunter no longer appears in the list

Hot Potato still does.

As for Hemorrhage, I'm in the camp they should have kept it in. At least for sake of self-defense, allow us have a DMR or Needle Rifle start. Let's ignore they had 2-flag and Neutral Bomb in Coagulation, let's ignore they did the same scenario in Halo 3 with Valhalla. But with the complaints of getting sniped while spawning with an AR, it gets removed instead of re-adjusted with a proper starting weapon on such a large map.

One map is now using vehicles (Tempest) in TO. A huge far cry from Burial Mounds, Zanzibar, Turf, Terminal, Relic, and Coagulation. smh

Oh, and I found some of the Halo 2 Team Skirmish map-gametype listings. Does not include it all (no DLC maps showing), but it makes you want to cry seeing all the awesome combinations we had compared to our TO offerings in Halo 3 and Reach.

kylej

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
So Flagstravaganza is AR starts.

One Step Forward, 2 steps back. Not touching the playlist.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Wow.

Premium Battle flag games. Are AR starts as well. THIS SHIT IS FUCKING 6 v 6. THAT IS BTB SIZE.

C'mon Bungie...

FRANKIE SAVE US

FRAAAAAAAAAAANKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Kuroyume

Banned
He could have saved us. Given us MP for Halo Anniversary to tide us over until Halo 4 but he didn't. Enjoy AR starts on Hemmorhage with Plasma Repeater secondary.

Ok, objective ar starts is a disgrace but at least tell me that premium slayer is dmr start? Specifically in reference to Highlands? The map was insipid with ar starts and rarely reached the requisite 75 kills.

Also, i'd say the chances of seeing the CE weapon set in those new maps is nil. One of the three pillars of Frankie's arguments against remaking the multiplayer for the anniversary edition was that the pistol was a three shot super weapon; why would he then allow that in Reach?

^ @Tunavi

Fucking sweet, always thought the map played better with the snipe.

Trasher

All this Halo CE talk has got me thinking about the days of the pistol...

What if there was a power weapon rifle that functioned as so: a three shot kill.

There would only be one or two lying around the map sort of like how the snipers are depending on map size etc.

Would it add depth to the gunplay? At the very least it would be interesting to see how the game would play out with a weapon like that.

I'm not even specifying which Halo it would have worked in, but I thought it was an interesting thing to talk about with all this Halo CE multiplayer talk going on.

Thermite said:
What has two thumbs and just joined the ranks of Onyx?!? THIS GUY! OH YEAHHH
Welcome to the club, bro!

This was the first time you placed in arena?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The Team Slayer playlist is in desperate need of maps with vehicles. Maybe the Halo Anniversary map pack will finally provide the goods... in five months. :-/

Thermite

Trasher said:
Welcome to the club, bro!

This was the first time you placed in arena?

Thanks, brah. :)

Nah, this isn't the first time I've been placed in arena. I was placed in gold for season 1 and season 7 (the only two seasons I really put in enough games to get a placement). FINALLY MADE IT TO THE TOP, BB! :p

Edit: The community maps in arena that I've played on have been surprisingly good. The new addition "Select" seemed to play particularly well.

Tunavi

Banned
LunaticPuma said:
So how do I get the stockpile achievement now?
achievements mean nothing bro

edit: thats one of the things that annoy me about this CE anniversary thing. "It's halo 1 with achievements!" That does nothing for me. Achievements are lame as hell and they are the reason why we don't get free map packs after a while anymore.

Trasher said:
All this Halo CE talk has got me thinking about the days of the pistol...

What if there was a power weapon rifle that functioned as so: a three shot kill.

There would only be one or two lying around the map sort of like how the snipers are depending on map size etc.

I always thought that they should include a 3 shot rifle or pistol in forge, for custom games only (or a designated playlist). Shit like the sentinel beam has been in customs but not mm so I don't see why it would be an issue.

Or, you know, they could add individual weapon damage modifiers to solve the whole problem of the 'what ifs'?

Karl2177

thee henery said:
I always thought that they should include a 3 shot rifle or pistol in forge, for custom games only (or a designated playlist). Shit like the sentinel beam has been in customs but not mm so I don't see why it would be an issue.

Or, you know, they could add individual weapon damage modifiers to solve the whole problem of the 'what ifs'?
We can only hope. Believe.

So wait, ye guys are saying now that the CE pistol was not OP but instead was a weapon so steep in it's learning curve that it was incredibly difficult to use/master? Never change Gaf.

I feel sorry for Frankie for clearly misinterpreting what was such a clear view all these years...

Trasher

Hydranockz said:
So wait, ye guys are saying now that the CE pistol was not OP but instead was a weapon so steep in it's learning curve that it was incredibly difficult to use/master? Never change Gaf.

I feel sorry for Frankie for clearly misinterpreting what was such a clear view all these years...
Quote the posts you are replying to please...

Trasher

Hydranockz said:
There was quite a few tbh. Using my mobile doesn't help either.
Well the pistol did have a learning curve... I played a LOT of Halo CE, and I can tell you there was an extreme gap of skill between players with that weapon.

Tunavi said:
Why wouldn't it be? does it not play well on 5v5?

5v5 AR's on Highlands is awesome.

Going 5 minutes without seeing other players is really fun.

Tunavi said:

edit: thats one of the things that annoy me about this CE anniversary thing. "It's halo 1 with achievements!" That does nothing for me. Achievements are lame as hell and they are the reason why we don't get free map packs after a while anymore.

I'm thinking of CEA as "The instantly best 6 maps in Reach by a country mile pack".

Hydranockz said:

It wasn't that hard to use but it certainly had a skill gap with it that no other Halo starting weapon even comes close to. That is just one thing that makes it great. It's not OP because in the weapon sandbox and gameplay mechanics of Halo CE, its not OP. Fits in perfectly.

Tunavi said:

You say what Annual did to Halo 3. What say you now?

Tunavi

Banned
Hydranockz said:
You say what Annual did to Halo 3. What say you now?
Achievements aren't necessarily bad. I'll use the ODST firefight achievements as an excuse to get people to play firefight with me. I'm always down to get Endure. It's just annoying when people in the pregame lobby say, "Vote for stockpile! I need the achievement!" Yeah, well stockpile sucks and I don't care about your achievements. And I know that they wouldn't play stockpile otherwise. And yeah, DLC with achievements will never be free. So there goes the whole concept of DLC being free after a while. :(

edit: HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Top Bottom