• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Booshka

I played through the Halo 3 Campaign on 4 player co op on Legendary and totally spaced out on the story. I really didn't know where I was going, or what was going on, just always moving forward, 4 guys just jumping and shooting through the Campaign.

I've played the first 4 levels of H3 by myself, but every time I tried to play through the Campaign on my own, I would get bored at about the 5th level.

Reach is probably my second favorite Campaign behind Halo:CE, though I never played ODST.

EDIT: Thanks for reminding me Ramirez, Brutes were the reason I didn't give a shit about Halo 3 Campaign. I didn't like them in Halo 2 at all, but it wasn't the whole game. I don't even know why they are in Reach, beside Bungie thinking they are more fun than Elites, which they aren't, ever. Halo 3 the whole game is Brutes, so ya fuck that. The vehicle sections were never my favorite parts of any Halo games, and I always hear how amazing Halo 3's encounters were, but it's always a reference to the vehicle sections.

Striker said:
It's so amazing that a 10 yr old game still pushes over the recent single player campaigns of Halo like they're a toddler. Is that what you're talking about in regards to amazement? If you didn't ever play past 343 Guilty Spark then I'm just sorry.

Also intrigued by the other MP maps they've created. With Max on board, they're bound to be excellent. So far we just know of Beaver Creek (Halo 2), Hang 'em High (Halo 1), Damnation (Halo 1), and an unknown map (Halo 1 PC). There's two others that's unannounced; here's my hope to bringing back Headlong and Terminal/Zanzibar.

Re-read my post.

bobs99 said:
I havent played past 343 Guilty spark in any of my recent playthroughs, simply because I feel the game turns aweful at that point.

Striker, you have always been one for selective reading, but this is just taking the piss lol.

I hate to say it, but Halo 1 is amazing up to a certain point, but after that point the game becomes a rehash of the same levels, but backwards with a less interesting enemy to fight. Im shocked they didnt retool that simply because this is going to be easy pickings for the critics. I just hope they appreciate it for what it is, but most critics wouldnt understand the whole labour of love for the hardcore fans thing.

Im tempted to point out that its ironic that they keep going on about the Pistol being back to its 3 shot best, when no one really 3 shot anyone in the campaign lol. For a labour of love im skeptical, Frankie needs to baptise me in the lakes of minnitoka before im convinced.

Striker

Two Betrayals is the same level of AotCR in reverse to a degree, but what exactly makes it a poor level? Despite, you know, using Banshee combat, facing off against Elites in different combat scenarios, facing off against the Flood and Covenant in three way battles, and having the ultra battle of meeting multiple Wraiths, Elites (some cloaked), Hunters, and shades.

The Library is completely forgettable. No argument there. Keyes was a decent, yet small and short section. It also tailored to letting the Flood and Covenant fight out and you simply pick your spots.

The Maw, even outside the Warthog run, was still a challenge and didn't feel like a chore to play, unlike its wannabe-apprentice in Halo 3, "Halo". Main reason I despised Halo 3's campaign outside the fact its story was putrid and Brutes being the main enemy, when your game ends with Cortana and Halo, two of the top three worst campaign missions in the entire Halo series, there is no saving grace.

Sibylus

Banned
LunaticPuma said:
Did people really have that much trouble completing Halo CE solo legendary? As far as I can recall it was easier than Halo 2 and probably even Reach.

Also, I'm hoping the "jetpack" in the 4 trailer is just for space movement and not a part of the on planet/on ship game play.
Ehhhh. Reach didn't have soul-crushing spots like Belly of the Beast (H1) or the Cairo Station Hangar (H2), and certainly no Jackal Snipers (H2). The final infantry encounter with the Zealots in Reach was tough, but it was far more forgiving than any of those spots as I recall.

And what is it about the jetpack that makes people not even want to play with it in single-player? Did none of you enjoy Exodus?

Botolf said:
And what is it about the jetpack that makes people not even want to play with it in single-player? Did none of you enjoy Exodus?
Felt like a gimmick more than anything. I play Halo for the awesome encounters, presentation, awe-inspiring backdrops, the vehicle battles, the story, the sandbox, and a lot of other little things. Jumping from place to place you normally couldn't doesn't really add anything.

Sibylus

Banned
Dax01 said:
Felt like a gimmick more than anything. I play Halo for the awesome encounters, presentation, awe-inspiring backdrops, the vehicle battles, the story, the sandbox, and a lot of other little things. Jumping from place to place you normally couldn't doesn't really add anything.
Bah, it's no more of a gimmick than a Banshee ride, it was merely woefully underused and expanded upon (Exodus certainly could have done with more jetpacking enemies [Rangers, perhaps] to match the player's mobility). And even so, it added a lot to a level that would have been a standard infantry crawl otherwise. It opened up a lot of alternate pathways and rewarded exploration with caches hidden in plain sight, and it added tangible depth to the player's options for movement and combat. "Jumping from place to place you normally couldn't" doesn't do it justice by a long shot, nor would it do justice to a Banshee ride to describe it as, "Flying across that canyon instead of walking". Don't reduce a nuanced mechanic to a sound bite unless you're able to accurately convey the subtleties. "One-man island hopping and vertical exploration", something like that sums the mechanic up far better.

Botolf said:
Bah, it's no more of a gimmick than a Banshee ride,
Has Halo ever had Banshee rides? If you're talking about any time you get to use the Banshee, they're entirely different; they're not comparable. You have a lot more options in a Banshee in maneuverability in the air and fire power.
It opened up a lot of alternate pathways and rewarded exploration with caches hidden in plain sight, and it added tangible depth to the player's options for movement and combat.
All of which can be achieved without the jet pack if you simply give the player catwalks and walkways to use.

Tawpgun

Dax01 said:
Has Halo ever had Banshee rides? If you're talking about any time you get to use the Banshee, they're entirely different; they're not comparable. You have a lot more options in a Banshee in maneuverability in the air and fire power.

All of which can be achieved without the jet pack if you simply give the player catwalks and walkways to use.

Or good map design with good map movement.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Prooving nothing is impossible, if you believe. :O
The video was mesmerizing I even listened to that entire song for the first time ever. Don't stop believing, indeed.

On a tangentially related note, I finally beat Crashsite on Unearthed in Score Attack defending the central generator. I've never pulled it off before. I had some time to kill and just plowed through three successful Crashsite games in a row (Courtyard, Unearthed, Overlook), and my arm is quite sore from the tension. I'd forgotten how awesome that game type is solo.

(And yes, I rendered the entire game. For posterity in my personal collection. It was a good game.)

16m2i3b.jpg

Wow. The potential of the system is amazing, and the support from hardcore games is reassuring, but I think Nintendo jumped the gun in showing this at such an early stage.

I'm glad upcoming Halo games were announced. Christmas morning started with a bang, but by nighttime, I just wanted it to be over.

This makes everything better, though.

Was IGN's "super secret remake" footage "Halo: CE Anniversary"?

Sibylus

Banned
Dax01 said:

You're not seeing the forest here. You're hung up on one aspect of a mechanic (get from A to B, explore side-area C), without acknowledging at all how you get there and what happens along the way. Walking across a chasm is not the same as jumping or jetpacking across, it's a fundamentally different mechanic in play. On the level of a monotone sound bite, walking the canyon floor of Great Journey in its penultimate leg and taking out the turrets and ground vehicles is no different from doing it in the air. But the nuance is lost because we wouldn't have addressed the topic beyond a lone thought. Important functional differences come to the fore when we look at the two options in detail, and adding an elevator at the Library entrance would not make the two experiences equal. Nor would throwing in catwalks and bridges make the experience of walking equal to the use of a Jetpack.

In comparison to standard movement: The player's viable movement range and vector are wholly different. His interactions with gaps and obstacles are novel and have a heavier emphasis on user choice. He risks greater exposure of himself to enemies, and often separates himself from friendlies. His use of weaponry must adapt to the rapid ascent and descent characteristic to the mechanic. He creates spontaneous escape routes by mitigating fall damage. The level itself can take advantage of the new mobility by adding an additional layer of paths and areas to explore on top of the traditional walkable routes. The level design must by necessity change to constrain him, and the player is corralled and guided along two "axes" instead of one. The level can as a result strongly emphasize player focus on the vertical, and in a fundamentally different manner than you suggest. Stairs and catwalks telegraph the presence and purpose of the ledge, whereas "orphaned" ledges must be explored for and discovered. Further, there is no mechanical skill involved in traversing there normally, you simply slide against the level's hull until you reach it. With the Jetpack, you're required to leverage your knowledge of the mechanic's limits and peculiarities, and to guide yourself to an accessible and safe landing spot. Misuse of one results in running into a wall or railing, misuse of the other results in wasting shields and health, or even death.

There are numerous factors, constraints, and behaviours at play here, and to suggest that stairs and bridges would make all equal is hopelessly simplistic and myopic. The Jetpack is a phenomenal and underused mechanic, and it has as much reason for existence as any number of sacred cows in this series. If 343 ends up incorporating the mechanic, I hope the experiences with Reach will form a springboard to take it to the next level and really push the limits of what can be done with it.

From Frankie's interview on G4:

We decided to go with Reach so that we didn't split up the existing Reach multiplayer base and so that people can enjoy some of the new features. We are going to be doing stuff with matchmaking and a few stuff that we can't talk about today to make that classic experience much more reminiscent of the original.

Frankie. I'm tempering my expectations, but when you make statements like this, I get a little giddy.

Also, he said Halo 4 has been in development for two years.

Story for the trilogy is already mapped out.

Trasher

Thermite said:
Pffft....please. You're lucky you were even in the match to witness such greatness unfold. ;P
I keed, I keed.
:)

Just watched the clip. Nice work, bro.

Although right after I watched your clip I got a killtac of my own as well...in Squad Slayer, by myself, on a team of randoms! You may prefer the easy way of getting killtacs by using the DMR my friend, but I prefer to get them the hard way: up close and personal!

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=18654613&player=TJ Trasher

Render please anyone? lol I miss my Bungie Pro.

Edit: Side note: I love the random tags people from here put on people's clips lololol.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Trasher said:

Although right after I watched your clip I got a killtac of my own as well...in Squad Slayer, by myself, on a team of randoms! You may prefer the easy way of getting killtacs by using the DMR my friend, but I prefer to get them the hard way: up close and personal!

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=18654613&player=TJ Trasher

Edit: Side note: I love the random tags people from here put on people's clips lololol.

Rendered.

Lazslo

Just went back and read what AJ's thoughts were way back in 2008 about Halo 4. It's a pretty good read. Ugh, I wish those guys could have a hand in making Halo Games :(
GameTap: Is the Legendary ending of Halo 3 a nod to Marathon, or is it a reference to Ghosts of Onyx?

Joseph Staten: It’s more or less a nod to the beginning of Halo 1. Putting the chief back in his hushed casket, and shutting him down. Oh, wait, you mean the legendary ending of Halo 3 with the crazy planetoid thing? I don’t know! There is a crazy planetoid floating out there. Who knows? If you look really, really carefully at the lights on the planet, though, there is something to be seen in those lights.

Willeth

Trasher said:
I don't. Everything I've ever posted on here to share gets tagged with GAF and it's irritating.

Kibbles

Hitmonchan107 said:
From Frankie's interview on G4:

Frankie. I'm tempering my expectations, but when you make statements like this, I get a little giddy.

Also, he said Halo 4 has been in development for two years.

Story for the trilogy is already mapped out.
Bloom shall die. Based off that G4 interview I guess the IGN thing wasn't a demo either then? =( Would've been nice to see a live demo.

Crucio

Hitmonchan107 said:
If this is even remotely true, Halo 4 will be the game of the decade.

But, I'll pretend I never read it.
Yeah, I'd rather not read something like that which is potential legit spoiler. Not that its a huge reveal.

Lyphen said:
This is the kind of stuff that first made me love Halo: http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/news/blog/tower-to-tower-completed/62589
Amazing! The dedication those guys have for Halo is unprecedented and deserves much praise! A great thing to behold for Halo's 10th Anniversary!
EPIC times.

Botolf said:
You're not seeing the forest here. You're hung up on one aspect of a mechanic (get from A to B, explore side-area C), without acknowledging at all how you get there and what happens along the way. Walking across a chasm is not the same as jumping or jetpacking across, it's a fundamentally different mechanic in play. On the level of a monotone sound bite, walking the canyon floor of Great Journey in its penultimate leg and taking out the turrets and ground vehicles is no different from doing it in the air. But the nuance is lost because we wouldn't have addressed the topic beyond a lone thought. Important functional differences come to the fore when we look at the two options in detail, and adding an elevator at the Library entrance would not make the two experiences equal. Nor would throwing in catwalks and bridges make the experience of walking equal to the use of a Jetpack.

In comparison to standard movement: The player's viable movement range and vector are wholly different. His interactions with gaps and obstacles are novel and have a heavier emphasis on user choice. He risks greater exposure of himself to enemies, and often separates himself from friendlies. His use of weaponry must adapt to the rapid ascent and descent characteristic to the mechanic. He creates spontaneous escape routes by mitigating fall damage. The level itself can take advantage of the new mobility by adding an additional layer of paths and areas to explore on top of the traditional walkable routes. The level design must by necessity change to constrain him, and the player is corralled and guided along two "axes" instead of one. The level can as a result strongly emphasize player focus on the vertical, and in a fundamentally different manner than you suggest. Stairs and catwalks telegraph the presence and purpose of the ledge, whereas "orphaned" ledges must be explored for and discovered. Further, there is no mechanical skill involved in traversing there normally, you simply slide against the level's hull until you reach it. With the Jetpack, you're required to leverage your knowledge of the mechanic's limits and peculiarities, and to guide yourself to an accessible and safe landing spot. Misuse of one results in running into a wall or railing, misuse of the other results in wasting shields and health, or even death.

There are numerous factors, constraints, and behaviours at play here, and to suggest that stairs and bridges would make all equal is hopelessly simplistic and myopic. The Jetpack is a phenomenal and underused mechanic, and it has as much reason for existence as any number of sacred cows in this series. If 343 ends up incorporating the mechanic, I hope the experiences with Reach will form a springboard to take it to the next level and really push the limits of what can be done with it.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think the jetpack is a gimmick, and to me it's just not fun to hover in the air for a few moments. Flying in the air? That's fun.

Besides, my biggest problems with the jetpack don't stem from the armor ability itself, but what it does to the gameplay in MP (and to a lesser degree, campaign). To balance out the jetpack, you have to give the player fall damage (and a stun effect). This takes out a sizable portion of what made Halo 2 and 3 so much fun to run and jump around in. With fall damage and stun, you would be severely limited in the best type of encounter found in any of the Halo games: the scarab battles. With Reach's base player and movement speed, fall damage and stun, the encounter would be nowhere near as fun (jetpack or no). The jet pack doesn't make up for no fall damage; in fact it falls incredibly short.

And because there is fall damage and a stun effect, that affects mancannons, one of the funnest additions to Halo in its ten year history, too. Going through mancannons aren't anywhere near the joyous ride they were in Halo 3, and that's because they have to account for fall damage.

What good jetpack brings to the table gets outweighed by the bad. If you're thinking, "Well, keep the jetpack but put back no fall damage and no stun effect." That probably won't work because then people will end up abusing the thing when they have it. It does more harm than good, and that's why it needs to be removed.

Edit: Jetpack basically contributes to the whole "grounded" feeling I don't like about Reach.

Also, Laszlo, thanks for that AJ article. I'll have to give it a read.

Edit 2:
Trasher said:
Ram didn't write that. It's one of the comments on the clip. >_>
Which clip are you talking about?
My sincerest apologies, Ramirez.

Trasher

Dax01 said:
There was no reason for that snide remark other than to be a jerk. You know, I remember you, of all people, were complaining how Schooly D's post came off as asshole-ish (or jerk-ish), and hear you are doing something worse.
Ram didn't write that. It's one of the comments on the clip. >_>

Edit: From here. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=18643196&player=Thermight

Mine has a ton now too lol. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=18654613&player=TJ Trasher

The trolls are out in full force!

Sibylus

Banned
I'm one of those people who thought taking out fall damage in Halo 2 onwards was a mistake. I didn't like the pseudo-fall damage trigger effect that was being applied inconsistently to off limits areas, and I didn't like how it reduced barriers (cliffs, walls, etc) to one-way status without exception as opposed to being two-way with some exceptions. The jetpack allows two-way traversal of obstacles, but at the expense of something else and won't be carried by everyone. I like terrain having a cost for traversal in games, and it bugs me to have everyone traverse it for free. Because when it comes down to it, interesting choices and interesting gameplay both revolve around cost and give and take.

Anyway, your issues with the mechanic seem to be pragmatic now and not philosophical, so there'd be numerous ways to solve these sorts of issues you raise.

Mancannons: Conceptually this is solved easily enough, waive fall damage for players who jump into one (Play it off as mass distortion). Turn fall damage back on after they're on the ground again.

Scarabs: Increase the time until implosion, to allow standard-loadout players to make their way to the lower floors, or perhaps add a "no fall damage" mancannon to enable quick egress. Again, there are some conceptually easy solutions for this one, and as far as I recall Scarabs were taken out for reasons of time and space.

Map Loadouts: If the pack can't be made to work with a map, take it out and leave it in maps where it does and creates interesting play.

Anyway, there you go. Some minor ills that could be worked out without too much fuss and muss. That you would look at those wrinkles and opt for the most drastic measures possible is really puzzling.

GhaleonEB

Jetpack, like almost anything else in the gameplay sandbox, is just fine if used appropriately. It has a place on some maps and game types, and not on others. The problem is there is no discretion. I wouldn't pack Warthogs into Zealot, because the map wasn't designed for them. Likewise I wouldn't give everyone jetpacks on Reflection, because the map wasn't designed for them.

Trasher said:

Clutch healthpack pickup.

Sibylus

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Jetpack, like almost anything else in the gameplay sandbox, is just fine if used appropriately. It has a place on some maps and game types, and not on others. The problem is there is no discretion. I wouldn't pack Warthogs into Zealot, because the map wasn't designed for them. Likewise I wouldn't give everyone jetpacks on Reflection, because the map wasn't designed for them.
Yes, I think it's particularly troublesome for remakes from games that didn't have a pack to factor into the design. Sometimes it's mostly okay (ie Hemorrhage, minus Snipers sometimes packing up into a perch high on a cliff), but more often than not it seems to expose vulnerabilities in a design that hasn't been updated with it in mind. Bungie's seemed pretty tardy at adding soft and hard kill triggers to keep up with it, so in their case it might make sense to forbid the AA on the small and medium sized remakes. It's far more harmonious in larger games with vehicles in the mix.

Thermite

Trasher said:

By far, the most nub-filled Killtac I've ever seen!

Also, LOL @ all these troll tags. I had to give a thumbs up to the "better than Ram" one; shit is just too true..

Well, I made my nerd rage post yesterday and let it go at that. I just feel let down. Maybe my expectations were too high. It seems like highway robbery to re-release a game that Bungie said they'd never go back to after a multitude of requests for the original multiplayer part of the game to be put on xbox-live. 343i, don't do that, PLEASE ever again. You're ripping my heart out. You just took a dump on a dead cat's carcass and shoved both into my face. Thanks.

I want to know who makes the decisions. From a marketing/ PR perspective, redoing the campaign and excluding the matchmaking component is a wretched idea. You just don't do that. That's like asking all the old fans of halo to bend over and take it up the butt. Better to just stay away from the original and not go there. That's why I said I have no confidence in Halo4 being any good.

People are incapable of making the right decisions. Yes, Reach is a really incredible game... that sadly is completely ruined by some horrible game-design decisions. Then the original Halo gets re-released without matchmaking. Why should I believe anything good is ever going to be made again? The last Halo game I really enjoyed was Halo2. Since then, it's just been one letdown after the next. As a huge halo fan I'm tired of hoping.

I absolutely had my hopes on the remake being real and matchmaking being released on xboxlive. My body was ready. Finally, despite it not being a new game, at least it was something familiar that I knew was really, really good and really, really fun. But nope. Now it's back to waiting another year, another decade perhaps. It's so fucking unbelievable to me. I'm tired...

I find it highly humorous that the 10 year anniversary surprise is actually something that's totally pissing on old halo fan's hopes. Hilarious :(

Tawpgun

So... the more I hear people saying Halo 4, the more I really don't like that name...

If its a new trilogy I guess they have to... but it sounds so off...Halo 2, and Halo 3 feel nice. Halo 4 is bleh.

Oh well.

As for Deputy Moonman... I believe most of us would have wanted CE MP. But it just wouldn't have been a good idea if you REALLY think about it. The big reason was really fragmenting the userbase. Reach is still new and fresh. I think Halo 1 MP is better than it by far, but they need to be focused on maintaining reach for a bit more until Halo 4 comes out.

When you get a good party going Reach really clicks, despite its flaws. Had a crazy amount of fun today on Reach during that BTB party.

Point is, it sucks, but there's a good reason. Despite how much wronged you feel and how you think this was stupid and 343 hates us, and they should have listened to what I wanted and ignore the hundreds of thousands still loyal Reach fans.

A27 Tawpgun said:
So... the more I hear people saying Halo 4, the more I really don't like that name...

If its a new trilogy I guess they have to... but it sounds so off...Halo 2, and Halo 3 feel nice. Halo 4 is bleh.

Oh well.

As for Deputy Moonman... I believe most of us would have wanted CE MP. But it just wouldn't have been a good idea if you REALLY think about it. The big reason was really fragmenting the userbase. Reach is still new and fresh. I think Halo 1 MP is better than it by far, but they need to be focused on maintaining reach for a bit more until Halo 4 comes out.

When you get a good party going Reach really clicks, despite its flaws. Had a crazy amount of fun today on Reach during that BTB party.

Point is, it sucks, but there's a good reason. Despite how much wronged you feel and how you think this was stupid and 343 hates us, and they should have listened to what I wanted and ignore the hundreds of thousands still loyal Reach fans.

Halo has a huge online population. I don't think it would have made much difference. Hell, Capcom is coming out with 3S online even though they have a much smaller population divided onto multiple games.

Sibylus

Banned
Halo 1 (on PC) was probably my most-played Halo game in terms of multiplayer, I played it pretty frequently for a few years. I think I've had my fill of it, and I definitely don't want to contemplate what the pistol would be like without having to lead every single shot by a visible margin. One benefit of poor netcode, I guess :p. But yeah, wouldn't exactly be itching to sink more time into a mode where the pistol is even more forgiving to use.

Top Bottom