• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tawpgun

Amazing write up. The tournament was one of the coolest and most memorable times I've had in Halo. I'm relatively new in this community and it was an honor to have been part of the tournament team.

I remember how this all started (vaguely) someone thought it would be cool to have a bunch of Halo communities play each other. And from then, like inception, the idea was planted. Many people said it could never be done. I was hopeful, but I had my doubts.

Hitmonchan and Duncan really pulled through. I don't know if you guys got any compensation or prizes but you definitely should. Hell, I would have given you guys star nameplates and a bunch of free swag if I could.

Also, lol at High Speed Halo's shenanigans and my banshee "love tap" to Tashi. I told you it was a crazy idea XD

We should definitely have a community tournament again right before Halo 4 launches. Except maybe leave Meta Halo out of it... those guys are ridiculous. Best save them for a championship match. Like a taking the crown from the old champions kind of thing...Don't want them to leave a wake of death and destruction on their path to the finals again...

xxjuicesxx said:
I think everyone agrees Trueskill in Reach sucks bad. I'm about 250% less frustrated and angry now that I don't play with randoms.

You're a good player too you don't need to put up with that shit, friend request some people from here.

Trueskill is broke, win/loss forever will be a statistic based on who you know.

I know mate, it's beating a dead horse by now. I just hope 343 returns to 1-50 with Halo 4 because it's not rare and isolated instances of people going up against others of vastly different skill levels.

Truely, the ranked/social divide of Halo 3 worked a lot better because those who wanted serious matches were able to do so whilst those who play to piss about had a home too.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
thee henery said:
I know mate, it's beating a dead horse by now. I just hope 343 returns to 1-50 with Halo 4 because it's not rare and isolated instances of people going up against others of vastly different skill levels.

Truely, the ranked/social divide of Halo 3 worked a lot better because those who wanted serious matches were able to do so whilst those who play to piss about had a home too.
1-50 was just another way to represent player progression. For Halo 2, the displayed rank value was heavily modified to allow players to move up and down in rank over the course of their career. Underneath it, the raw TrueSkill value was utilized for matchmaking.

TrueSkill is a good assessment tool, but it's never going to be able to account for unassessable factors. What it will never be, at least on its own, is a good player progression system (which is really what H2's 1-50 was).

Tawpgun

wwm0nkey said:
I really do miss the 1-50 Halo 2 system :(

Well untill you hit 25 and got hammered by modders.
Which with Halo's new anti-modder defenses, shouldn't be a problem.

What would suck is what plagued Halo 3. Second Accounts, selling 50's, boosters ect.

Arena fixed that, but at a huge cost. I'm not sure if there's anyway to fight against this...

As for one of my Halo 4 wishes. Integrate Waypoint WITHIN Halo 4. I don't want to leave the game in order to go to Waypoint.

Imagine having the news, stat tracking, videos, ect. from Waypoint, but built into the actual game.

Also, a question on anniversary.... Are the marine models really the Reach ones? I was kind of hopign those were placeholders....

Ken

A27 Tawpgun said:
Also, a question on anniversary.... Are the marine models really the Reach ones? I was kind of hopign those were placeholders....

Isn't it being remade on the Reach engine with Reach assets?

wwm0nkey

A27 Tawpgun said:
Which with Halo's new anti-modder defenses, shouldn't be a problem.

What would suck is what plagued Halo 3. Second Accounts, selling 50's, boosters ect.

Arena fixed that, but at a huge cost. I'm not sure if there's anyway to fight against this...

As for one of my Halo 4 wishes. Integrate Waypoint WITHIN Halo 4. I don't want to leave the game in order to go to Waypoint.

Imagine having the news, stat tracking, videos, ect. from Waypoint, but built into the actual game.

Just bring back Halo 2 system and we are all good to go really for ranking and still add the Cr system but have it be only for armor (also have the option to show the Cr you earn when you kill someone in-game)

Also yes Halo Waypoint MUST be built into Halo 4 BUT i think Halo 4 should do above all else is have 2 discs! 1 for SP and the other for MP that way you can put in more missions maps, better textures, ect.

I hope they are place holder.

Tawpgun

Ken said:
Isn't it being remade on the Reach engine with Reach assets?
The campaign is the exact same Halo CE engine, with a graphics engine on top. So no. I just want remodeled marines and not the Reach ones. Looks weird.

Tawpgun

wwm0nkey said:
Also the AR needs to be changed back.
True. The Reach one is a completely different model.

Choc, Bread and I need a fourth. We're doing Arena right now. Nevermind. Got Juices.

Speaking of, Select is a REALLY good community map. Big narrows vibe from it.

A27 Tawpgun said:
The campaign is the exact same Halo CE engine, with a graphics engine on top. So no. I just want remodeled marines and not the Reach ones. Looks weird.
Because of the AR model and the Marines I'm always thinking that the graphic layer is the Reach engine. I hope that we'll get a deeper sight of the technology behind this at some GameDev site, because I'm really interested about this process.

I think they should just give people the option to reset their ranking upon reaching a certain rank or once you've been stuck at a certain level for long enough and aren't making any more progress. It's nice to be able to start over and climb the ladder again after reaching your plateau. In Halo3, once I hit 45, most of my games involved me getting my rear handed to me. In Halo2 I hit a brick wall upon getting to 32 because of the competition, and also because the level 30+ bracket was filled with a lot of cheaters.

At least having the option to reset your rank would eliminate all the de-ranking bull crap and some of the quitting.

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
Because of the AR model and the Marines I'm always thinking that the graphic layer is the Reach engine. I hope that we'll get a deeper sight of the technology behind this at some GameDev site, because I'm really interested about this process.
Nope they are just using Reach assets, not the engine.

Havok

Deputy Moonman said:
I think they should just give people the option to reset their ranking upon reaching a certain rank or once you've been stuck at a certain level for long enough and aren't making any more progress. It's nice to be able to start over and climb the ladder again after reaching your plateau.
Which involves fucking over people who are at those lower ranks legitimately? That's awful. The plateau, in terms of 1-50 ranks, is a good thing; it means you're getting matched with people of your skill level. Resetting your rank just allows you to go back and dominate people that you should never have been matched with in terms of skill. If you were getting your rear handed to you at 45, then you would start dropping levels at a natural rate until you reached the skill level at which that no longer happened. Artificially removing skill parameters is just breaking the system.

wwm0nkey

I just think we should bring back Halo 2's system exactly the way it was for Halo 4. I still do also think the Cr system should return BUT ONLY for armor.

Deputy Moonman said:
I think they should just give people the option to reset their ranking upon reaching a certain rank or once you've been stuck at a certain level for long enough and aren't making any more progress. It's nice to be able to start over and climb the ladder again after reaching your plateau. In Halo3, once I hit 45, most of my games involved me getting my rear handed to me. In Halo2 I hit a brick wall upon getting to 32 because of the competition, and also because the level 30+ bracket was filled with a lot of cheaters.

At least having the option to reset your rank would eliminate all the de-ranking bull crap and some of the quitting.

Yeah this is what I hated about 1-50. Once you hit your "ceiling", the system was basically like fuck you, you're staying at this level no matter how much you play so don't even bother.

As for the CEA maps. I was under the impression that yes, you will be able to play on those seven maps on the CEA disc, but you will also be given a code to DL the maps to your hard drive to use them just like you would any other DLC for Reach. Is this correct?

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah this is what I hated about 1-50. Once you hit your "ceiling", the system was basically like fuck you, you're staying at this level no matter how much you play so don't even bother.

As for the CEA maps. I was under the impression that yes, you will be able to play on those seven maps on the CEA disc, but you will also be given a code to DL the maps to your hard drive to use them just like you would any other DLC for Reach. Is this correct?
Sounds correct to me.

Sure, no problem Starwolf.

Steelyuhas said:

Yeah, when I got my 50 in TS, I had to win like 15 games in a row. Luckily I was on fire that day and carried.

kylej

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Good games juices, kyle, ken, and bread.

Tru7hskill

yeah I wasn't really able to communicate or play well because I'm currently on a 45 minute+ call trying to teach a family member how to use Craigslist.

Including how to take pictures off their camera and upload them FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Untracked

Seriously LTTP here, but I've been playing a lot of Reach lately so I finally bought the Defiant Pack and I am absolutely amazed at the skyboxes.

G2Vd8.jpg

ltDgU.jpg

If only Reach had maps like this at launch, I might still have a few friends to play with. They got sick of looking at Forge World in Multiplayer and buggered off back to Halo 3 :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
kylej said:
yeah I wasn't really able to communicate or play well because I'm currently on a 45 minute+ call trying to teach a family member how to use Craigslist.

Including how to take pictures off their camera and upload them FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
:lol :lol

I've been there before.

urk said:
1-50 was just another way to represent player progression. For Halo 2, the displayed rank value was heavily modified to allow players to move up and down in rank over the course of their career. Underneath it, the raw TrueSkill value was utilized for matchmaking.

TrueSkill is a good assessment tool, but it's never going to be able to account for unassessable factors. What it will never be, at least on its own, is a good player progression system (which is really what H2's 1-50 was).

Oh, I accept trueskill was exactly the same in Halo 3, I don't think anybodies lying or anything. Like you said, 1-50 represented player progression. I think that visual representation incentivised people to care about games they were playing in.

Lazslo

MATCLAN x MT said:
“The final game against NeoGAF? I think it was Boardwalk Slayer which I didn't participate in. I was feeling pretty tense watching the leading score slowly increase though! That said, I do think we beat them handily on Tempest CTF and had we lost the Slayer game we would have been allowed to choose the third and final game against them, and I'd feel that we could have been confident of another win in an Objective game.”
Psshh Please, I think Ram lagged out and if time didnt expire, we would have destroyed them. The 'Official NeoGaf Cheerleaders/Shit Talking" Lobby was in full force for this match. We did everything to could to mentally distract their game but it was to no avail. As lead trash-talker I take personal responsibility and my Metaphor game will be on Fire next tournament.
-Also everyone who organized and helped made this tournament a success did a great job. Really hope you guys can do it again and maybe have a couple more steamers this time so other points of view can be seen. It would be fun to watch two dudes streaming go battle each other...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Is it fair to say that True Skill tries to make the best overall match and not necessarily pitting you with or against players of similar skill? Basically there to make balanced teams for a tight match?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
thee henery said:
Oh, I accept trueskill was exactly the same in Halo 3, I don't think anybodies lying or anything. Like you said, 1-50 represented player progression. I think that visual representation incentivised people to care about games they were playing in.
Yup.

On the topic on trueskill/player progression, etc.

What was the reasoning for not penalizing a player for losing a game? I understand you do not get the "game win" cR bonus, but it is hardly anything to worry about. It just seems weird that the cR payout for a win isn't more.

Edit: man oh man do I need an avatar.

Edit Again: Hell ya, xbl panda kickin' it.

Quick question for everyone in here, being a big fan of BTB, what is everyone's opinion on some of the community maps in BTB these days. You guys have probably had this discussion a while ago, but I am just curious to see what opinions are right now.

Personally for me, Abridged is the best map as it seems to have a good amount of cover, but still somewhat open, as well as most of the power weapons being in the middle which leads to classic battles over them. All of the other maps completely or somewhat suck especially Wayont and one other I can't remember the name too. What say you HaloGAF?

urk said:

*friend walks by

"HEY! wow is that Urk?!!? From Bungie?!?!"

"Um yeah it is?"

"That is amazing! No way, how can I join!"

He didn't believe me when I told him he could be waiting a year to get accepted.

Urk, you have a fanboy.

Ramirez

CrazedArabMan said:
Quick question for everyone in here, being a big fan of BTB, what is everyone's opinion on some of the community maps in BTB these days. You guys have probably had this discussion a while ago, but I am just curious to see what opinions are right now.

Personally for me, Abridged is the best map as it seems to have a good amount of cover, but still somewhat open, as well as most of the power weapons being in the middle which leads to classic battles over them. All of the other maps completely or somewhat suck especially Wayont and one other I can't remember the name too. What say you HaloGAF?

I hate all of the forge maps, Abridged being the worst, IMO. They're all so bland and boring design wise, and Abridged is just too big, and the vehicle combat sucks because of the uneven terrain, it's hard enough driving on a flat service in this game.

A27_StarWolf said:
StarWolf applies for NeoGAF, goes to sleep.

Wakes up, accepted into NeoGAF

Problem HaloGAF? :D

Haha I think almost everyone else in that wave (including myself) had been waiting close to or more than a year.

Lazslo

CrazedArabMan said:
Quick question for everyone in here, being a big fan of BTB, what is everyone's opinion on some of the community maps in BTB these days. You guys have probably had this discussion a while ago, but I am just curious to see what opinions are right now?
For me, the thing that makes BTB is the maps, but more specifically the art and detail of the maps. For some reason, when I play BTB on cookie cutter forge maps, I always feel like something is missing. There's a huge difference between playing CTF on Headlong and CTF on an exact pixel-for-pixel geometry recreation of Headlong. Oddly enough, it doesn't bother me when playing regular TS. It could have something to do with the casual nature of BTB or something, but there is something significant between big team battle and artistically beautiful maps. Also I love Headlong. Halo 2 XBL Fall 2011, Believe.

Lazslo said:
For me, the thing that makes BTB is the maps, but more specifically the art and detail of the maps. For some reason, when I play BTB on cookie cutter forge maps, I always feel like something is missing. There's a huge difference between playing CTF on Headlong and CTF on an exact pixel-for-pixel geometry recreation of Headlong. Oddly enough, it doesn't bother me when playing regular TS. It could have something to do with the casual nature of BTB or something, but there's is something significant between big team battle and artistically beautiful maps. Also I love Headlong. Halo 2 XBL Fall 2011, Believe.

Everybody loves Headlong.

BELIEVE.

Top Bottom