• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Are GAF customs happening tonight? In about 2.5 hours hopefully?

I'd like to try and get some Forge testing in if possible, would anyone be up for that at say, 7pm EST? That's ~1.5 hours from the time of this post.

Steelyuhas said:
Haha I think almost everyone else in that wave (including myself) had been waiting close to or more than a year.
Two weeks away from a year. By the time I got accepted, I completely forgot what NeoGAF was.
ncsuDuncan said:
Took me about 11 months to get approved.

The email that I registered with (a college .edu address) was deleted after I graduated, so I never got a NeoGAF confirmation email. Luckily I was enough of a lurker that I'd try to login once every couple of months to see if it was approved (not to mention I noticed the wave of new Juniors).
I switched colleges, and for some reason I checked my old email and found my acceptance letter. I'm pretty sure it was the day after the email was sent to me. Wildest coincidence.

GhaleonEB said:
Those are the exact two I'm hoping for from Halo 2.

673px-Backwash.jpg

BELIEVE

lol

I wonder how differently Headlong would play with Jetpacks (Of the currently confirmed maps I think Damnation is going to be the most damaged, with Hang Em High a close second.)

Waterworks would probably be okay with Jetpacks. I'm really looking forward to more news on the Classic settings.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Two weeks away from a year. By the time I got accepted, I completely forgot what NeoGAF was.
Took me about 11 months to get approved.

The email that I registered with (a college .edu address) was deleted after I graduated, so I never got a NeoGAF confirmation email. Luckily I was enough of a lurker that I'd try to login once every couple of months to see if it was approved (not to mention I noticed the wave of new Juniors).
Steelyuhas said:
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080630180102/halo/images/thumb/6/66/Backwash.jpg/673px-Backwash.jpg[IMG]

BELIEVE

[spoiler]lol[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
I've never thought about it before, but Halo 3's Assembly sort of resembles Backwash.

ncsuDuncan said:
I wonder how differently Headlong would play with Jetpacks (Of the currently confirmed maps I think Damnation is going to be the most damaged, with Hang Em High a close second.)

Waterworks would probably be okay with Jetpacks. I'm really looking forward to more news on the Classic settings.

I am very interested to see what they are doing to make them more 'classic' and if it means more options/changes to Reach MP in general.

Damnation will be interesting to play with AA's. Even with AA's possibly making some of the maps not as good as they used to be, I still think these maps will probably be better than anything in Reach right now.

ncsuDuncan said:
I've never thought about it before, but Halo 3's Assembly sort of resembles Backwash.

Wow kind of does, I've never thought of that before either.

Sibylus

Banned
Discussion was from days and days ago, but I'd be pretty okay with "Timberland" (not confirmed, roight?) being a Firefight map, so long as the Warthog in the trailer makes it in. Dem rolling hills.

Botolf said:
Discussion was from days and days ago, but I'd be pretty okay with "Timberland" (not confirmed, roight?) being a Firefight map, so long as the Warthog in the trailer makes it in. Dem rolling hills.
I don't think we've seen official confirmation that Timberland is in, but it's pretty much guaranteed. The footage from the trailer matches up, and Frank has confirmed that a PC map will be included.

Timberland isn't the Firefight map, it sounds like that map will come from a Campaign area.

zumphry

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:
I'd like to try and get some Forge testing in if possible, would anyone be up for that at say, 7pm EST? That's ~1.5 hours from the time of this post.

I love gray (grey?) blocks! Sign me up!

GhaleonEB

I like Flagstravaganza, but people don't know how to play the game types in there. No one knows how to play Speedflag, or Neutral Flag, or Three Flag. At least, no one my my team ever knows. I think I'm going to stay out of it unless I'm in a party.

ncsuDuncan said:
Are GAF customs happening tonight? In about 2.5 hours hopefully?

If customs aren't happening, we should get a party going for Premium Battle/Flagstravaganza.

And I'll be online in 15 minutes to help you test your map. :^)

Steelyuhas said:
673px-Backwash.jpg

BELIEVE

lol

<3 Screw the haters :p

Oh and an example of when all hope is [URL="http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=644873374&player=lx%20STYLZ%20xl]lost[/URL] how overwhelming odds tend to initiate your survival instincts ;)

Striker

CrazedArabMan said:
Makes sense considering they both kinda suck. Yeah I went there with not liking Assembly.
Yeah, I am in that boat. Backwash, even outside its invis/backward compatible errors it had, wasn't very enjoyful throughout, especially when you compare it to other Halo 2 DLC in its time (Relic, Terminal, Sanctuary, Turf, etc.).

Assembly I also never cared for. Only thing I ever really liked about it was Covenant geometry.

Oh Backwash. I had such high hopes for you, reading the BWU many many moons ago. You arrived, and as much as I & my friends tried to squeeze enjoyment from you, the more you resisted.

Lazslo

Trasher said:
Thanks to whoever rendered my clip!
Your Welcome.

-Also omgz 1up Yours is back. Luke Lives. Whoever doesn't want L.M Smith on the Bungie Podcast is a shithead. He's the main reason the Podcast was funny. Bring it back Bungie. If they did a Sketch, Luke, Franky, and Timmins reunion podcast I would personally pay them $5 Each. k Thanks.

Lazslo said:
Your Welcome.

-Also omgz 1up Yours is back. Luke Lives. Whoever doesn't want L.M Smith on the Bungie Podcast is a shithead. He's the main reason the Podcast was funny. Bring it back Bungie. If they did a Sketch, Luke, Franky, and Timmins reunion podcast I would personally pay them $5 Each. k Thanks.
Hi, David! I knew he liked Prey 2, but I didn't think he liked it so much.

I loved the first Prey. I can't wait to try it out.

Edit: This is actually the first time I've seen David talking about games outside of Halo. (I never caught your podcasts, David. I'll fix that soon.) Have you always been so optimistic about games? It's really refreshing to not hear cynicism and skepticism every five seconds. Loved it.

Lazslo said:
Your Welcome.

I needz my Luke back in Bungie podcasts when they do return. Sketch and Frankles in the day was awesome. The pre-Reach ones with Urk, Sketch, and Luke co-hosting were pretty awesome as well.

Just played Anchor 9 for the first time in a long time, forgot how great that map is. Man I really wish the DLC implementation didn't suck.

Oh, there's Snipers in premium slayer. Fun....

AR that wrecks the pistol at an outrages range, grenades, slow weapon switching, sprint sword, armor lock. Sigh. I want to enjoy Reach right now, but it has other ideas.

Tunavi, just saw your invite. I gotta get some grub, if you guys are still playing ill join later

kylej

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
It is good?

It's good compared to, like, Spire. Compared to good Halo maps it's a turdaroni.

I look at it as a poor man's Pit, in the same way Zealot is a poor man's Midship.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
kylej said:
It's good compared to, like, Spire. Compared to good Halo maps it's a turdaroni.

I look at it as a poor man's Pit, in the same way Zealot is a poor man's Midship.
I miss the Pit. :-(

I occasionally go back and play some Halo 3, but despite the crappy map selection, I prefer Reach's multiplayer.

Awesome games guys. Sorry for using AL so much but I eased up on it near the end. I really enjoy how sick a lot of Gaf is at Halo. Really awesome to see key roles being defined within teams. Dax with rockets/gl, Bagel or Lazlo on snipe. There are others obviously but it is a nice feeling to know how people play.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Eh, don't mind it too much on Anchor 9 or Condemned.
Agreed. I really like the fact that both contain power weapons. The vulnerability while out there even though both provide really useful paths around the map is a nice little risk/reward scenario.

Havok

Hey You said:
Heck no, I need some playlist to have evade in it.

Why do you want it removed?
Because it breaks CQC, especially any maps with shotgun or sword (which is most of the Objective maps). The tiny spartan models just don't work that well with it. We just had a bunch of really maddening games where all some of the player would do is evade up and double melee or shotty/sword us and there is basically no defense against it.

While we're at it, put all those maps from the Classic playlist into Objective as well, it desperately needs a bit of map diversity after the update.

Ramirez

Hey You said:
Heck no, I need some playlist to have evade in it.

Why do you want it removed?

Because it's terrible.

Seriously, reduce it to one roll, probably fix it.

Why did Bungie never release their Lockout/Wizard remakes? I hate forge maps, but at least Bungie can get the scale down properly, the Lockout in classic is an abortion with the classic settings.

Ramirez said:
Because it's terrible.

The problem is its forward velocity. It sends you too far forward. I'd prefer shorter rolls in the forward direction at least.

Tawpgun taught me a valuable lesaon tonight. No matter how awesome it would be, trying to jump backwards while running downhill is not gonna give enough height to ninja anyone... In fact, it just set up his mid-air assassination.

Havok said:
Remove Evade loadouts from Objective please. Replace with Hologram.

Bam.

I had a thought today, I'm not saying that it would be balanced.....

Armor Abilities for Vehicles!

So you are in a warthog...

-Speed Boost! (sprint) Your warthog has a brief speed boost and charges forward! Imagine the splatter kills!

-Jet Jump! (Jetpack) Something in the way? Imagine a quick boost that rockets you one spartan's length up in the air!

-Stealth(camo) Cloak the entire vehicle and people in it for a sneak attack!

-Its a trap!(Hologram) Imagine being able to send a replica of an entire vehicle to trick the enemies!

-Super Shield(drop shield) A shield that heals your warthog appears around the vehicle, and it blocks fire from other hostile (or friendly) weapons

-EMP bomb (armor lock) The vehicle charges up an emp blast that disables other vehicles (not your own) and while charging it makes you invincible!

-DO A BARREL ROLL! (evade) The vehicle does a barrel roll, forwards, backwards, left, and right!

Havok

From Tunavi's bnet thread, I present:

bnet's Rocklimb said:
Instant arm is a joke; on Breakpoint two people can grab the bomb and Warthog, be in the enemy's base and have the bomb planted inside 15 seconds. They don't even have time to get rockets and back. And as long as one of two survives to toss grenades on the bomb, it's game over.
...this made it through whatever QA process exists? One more reason to remove those bomb settings. Above all else, this is what prevents me from enjoying Premium/Big Team Battle (because I go into those playlists specifically seeking flag and bomb).

On a side note, only very tangentially related to Halo - unless you want to play a game almost entirely comprised of the Halo 3 level Cortana, avoid Red Faction Armageddon.

Striker

Why isn't any Warlock or Prophets versions used in Team Objective?

It's going to suck getting stuck playing Aslyum, Countdown, and Zealot all the time. Feels like even MLG has more variety in its own than currently Objective has. 1-flag Reflection is pretty damn fantastic, because due to no Jetpack, but of course the sheep don't vote for it.

Where is One Bomb on Reflection? Classic gametype and map combo from Halo 2 - ignored.
Where is 3 Plots on Asylum? I see it come up on Boardwalk for some reason. :lol

I would love to play Premium Battle more, but god damn they ruined Assault.

Ramirez said:
Because it's terrible.

Why did Bungie never release their Lockout/Wizard remakes? I hate forge maps, but at least Bungie can get the scale down properly, the Lockout in classic is an abortion with the classic settings.

Yeah well Bungie did make Asylum, so I wouldn't put to much faith into those Lockout/Warlock being any good.

OK, what playlist designer decided to get rid of stockpile in everything but swat and big team?

now it's freaking impossible to get the achievements.

speedpile in actionsack doesn't work for the achievements.

i only need 3 more :(

Tawpgun

dangerbyrnes said:
OK, what playlist designer decided to get rid of stockpile in everything but swat and big team?

now it's freaking impossible to get the achievements?

speedpile in actionsack doesn't work for the achievements.

i only need 3 more :(

I was wondering what a "miscellaneous playlist" would be like. Put all the wierd gametypes like headhunter, jug, stockpile, race (race deserves its own playlist...) in a playlist.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=645350473&player=Tawpgun
Very good game to end on. Good games guys. Except that uncaged one. Fuck that map.

Crucio

A27_StarWolf said:
I had a thought today, I'm not saying that it would be balanced.....

Armor Abilities for Vehicles!

So you are in a warthog...

-Speed Boost! (sprint) Your warthog has a brief speed boost and charges forward! Imagine the splatter kills!

-Jet Jump! (Jetpack) Something in the way? Imagine a quick boost that rockets you one spartan's length up in the air!

-Stealth(camo) Cloak the entire vehicle and people in it for a sneak attack!

-Its a trap!(Hologram) Imagine being able to send a replica of an entire vehicle to trick the enemies!

-Super Shield(drop shield) A shield that heals your warthog appears around the vehicle, and it blocks fire from other hostile (or friendly) weapons

-EMP bomb (armor lock) The vehicle charges up an emp blast that disables other vehicles (not your own) and while charging it makes you invincible!

-DO A BARREL ROLL! (evade) The vehicle does a barrel roll, forwards, backwards, left, and right!
Saber multiplayer mini game! BELIEVE!

I agree with the failings of the arming system, I've had similar experiences in Breakpoint. 15-30 second scores from spawn. It feels great but its incredibly ridiculous.

GhaleonEB

Finally. Notched a Challenge and got a jackpot of 27,000 in Flagtravaganza, which I'm guessing is the normal jackpot of 3,000 doubled plus the 21,000 super jackpot. Over 30,000 cR for that one game, which made up for my teammates. I saw the bar move for the first time in a couple months! Woo.

Back to Firefight totally fucking epic full party GAF BTB games.

Mongoose assault FTW.

Top Bottom