• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Ramirez

Wait a minute, the MP 1/2 level designed now works at 343?

My God, those games had stupidly good level design, if they could bring an ounce of the atmosphere that the Prime games had to Halo...

spongebob.jpg

vhfive

flag playlist is alright. I like speedflag and flag slayer is pretty cool too. The only thing holding it back is fucking AR starts.

also just got 21000 creds :D

Crucio

Domino Theory said:
They have a new wallpaper (for mobile, too!) on halo.xbox.com and it shows off the official, sexy 4 logo. :D
DavidEllis David Ellis
Remember that Halo 4 wallpaper I showed earlier? Here's more from @HaloWaypoint. bit.ly/l6ATuI

Yay!

Lazslo

Also Hey Sir. L Wu- I was watching this video again and I was wondering if any of these dudes from the Lan Party still exist within the Halo Community. They are probably OG's over at HBO but I was just wondering. Hope you still do these.

Barrow Roll said:
I think you're being a little ridiculous here. It's "balls out ridiculous" but with a purpose and definitely in the proper context. John bursting out of his cryo tube is perfectly appropriate for the situation. He hears Cortana's cries for help, clearly there's an emergency, there's no time for a slow awakening. The teaser is trying to convey that sense of urgency. The way John escapes the ship is also completely appropriate. He is a man of action, no time to observe the explosion. Shits going down and they need to get out. His flips and what not are perfectly in line with the abilities that Spartans posses. When they finally get to the edge of the ship, there's nothing more they can do than stand in awe at their impending destination, a huge alien structure that's probably striking fear into him.

As for the new armor, equipment and weapons, that's what teasers are supposed to do. Tease the new, raise a few questions for fans to speculate on in the coming months, not just reveal it all. The teaser does that perfectly as long as you have a brain competent enough to know that it is just a teaser and not something ripped straight out of the game.

And I can't believe you're actually taking issue with the name. Halo 4 is what it is. It doesn't need to oversell itself. You can gather 2 very important things from the name Halo 4.

a) It's the 4th entry in the main Halo storyline.
b) It will star the Master Chief as the leading protagonist.

Bam, job done. It doesn't need to be anything more than that.
Sorry I didn't like the by-the-numbers trailer, man. I'll try to lower my expectations and alter my stylistic preferences so they fall in line. Here, let me try:

Oh man, did you see the awesome new Halo 4 trailer? It was action-PACKED! Master Chief had sweet new gear for some unexplained but surely awesome reason, and the amount of fireballs was staggering! 343 is finally making Halo into a real action movie like the awesome action movies I see at the theater every summer!

I don't give a shit if Master Chief is behaving correctly in context to the events in the trailer, I dislike the context itself. Remember when you finished The Matrix and then found out they were doing a sequel later? The possibilities for the story were huge. Then you saw Reloaded. I'm getting that vibe with this, but I'm happy to be proven wrong, so we'll all wait and see. The bottom line is that I disliked the trailer, while you thought it was serviceable. I don't hear anyone singing its praises.

GhaleonEB

I'm loving Flagstravaganza, but it took me a couple games to realize why. No jet pack, no armor lock, do drop shield. And lots and lots of flags.

I wish it wasn't temporary.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
I'm loving Flagstravaganza, but it took me a couple games to realize why. No jet pack, no armor lock, do drop shield. And lots and lots of flags.

I wish it wasn't temporary.

No DMR starts...

Choice quotes from the BWU:
"Not a peep about our next project (though Aerospace, whatever it is, is now all systems go and counting down to launch) for a good, long while."​
and
"Preparations for Bungie Day are now in full swing. Full disclosure next week. It’s only fitting that we get to show you how we really feel during this year’s celebration."​
So Bungie Aerospace isn't as connected to Destiny as I thought... hmmm.

Tawpgun

ncsuDuncan said:
"Not a peep about our next project (though Aerospace, whatever it is, is now all systems go and counting down to launch) for a good, long while."​
and
"Preparations for Bungie Day are now in full swing. Full disclosure next week. It’s only fitting that we get to show you how we really feel during this year’s celebration."​
I'm saddened by Bungie going dark after Bungie Day.

But Halo is in fantastic hands. 343 is really active in the community. Shame bs angel doesn't have a GAF account.

Sibylus

Banned
Zee-V70 said:
I'm probably alone when I say I actually really liked the Brute designs in Reach. Sure, they looked nothing like their Halo 2 incarnations, but it made them seem less space monkey and more alien. Additionally, Bungie's said that Brutes were supposed to be (in spirit) a hybrid of rhinos and gorillas; Reach's versions were just closer to rhino.
They looked more like tribal warriors in Reach, the armor looked really Fisher-Pricey in H3 to me.

wwm0nkey

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'm saddened by Bungie going dark after Bungie Day.

But Halo is in fantastic hands. 343 is really active in the community. Shame bs angel doesn't have a GAF account.
Yeah its going to be weird to see bungie go dark for a bit, but we know when they come back they will come back with a big bang :)

neoism

OuterWorldVoice said:
If there was one simple answer, we'd give it, and stick to it, but the truth is there are a few big reasons and dozens of tiny ones. Making games is complicated. It's better to be honest about the choices than hiding behind some fake PR. We knew this would cause outrage and it wasn't an easy decision, but believe me, it was necessary given the time constraints involved.

As for big business - this project was conceived in its entirety, within 343. It was not handed down from some corporate cloud.
I for one am soo happy you didn't include it... so thanks

Willeth

ncsuDuncan said:
and
Well, not necessarily. Aerospace, at a wild guess, is the stats software that they've developed over the course of the Halo games being built to be more open-ended that they can then licence it out to other developers. At least, that's one thing I'm hoping they're doing.

Ramirez

neoism said:

But they're not implemented correctly in any regular playlist, lol. Tashi plays MLG exclusively, if he were to play the regular stuff, I'm sure he'd still love the game. ;)

So they're going to reveal all of the surprises for Bungie Day two weeks from the actual date?

Striker said:
The combo was dealt around in many forms, if you recall. Remember getting straight Team Rifles? No weapons on the map sans BR, Carbine, and a Sniper. Also remember Human CTF which was CTF obviously but with only human weapons, ie. BR, SMG, Magnum, Sniper, and Rockets. That gametype on Beaver Creek and Sanctuary was superb.

Agree on movement related to the past few posts. I'm not sure why Bungie started with 3 going in the slower killing times and slower base speed. That's what people loved probably the most about the first two games.

Yeah I mean the kill times and base movement speed is a clear design decision, not one I agree with, but I can understand it. Why they decided to introduce so much aim acceleration in H3 doesn't make any sense to me. Just makes the game less fun, feels like you are fighting the game to move and aim.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Nothing to see at all:

Is it too much to dream to have Metroid Prime exploration elements mixed into the Halo sandbox?

Jason Behr's LinkedIn -- It says he's a mission designer at 343 Industries.

Not only did he do wonders with Metroid Prime, but he's a fantastic photographer.

Edit: There's a second employee at 343 Industries who's also from Retro Studios -- Kynan Pearson.

The level of atmosphere these guys could bring to the Halo franchise has me stoked for Halo 4.

*fingers crossed for gameplay video at PAX*

I'm going to play Metroid Prime again when I get home.

The Metroid Prime games are amazing. If Halo 4 has some of those elements I will be very happy.

Striker

Ramirez said:
But they're not implemented correctly in any regular playlist, lol. Tashi plays MLG exclusively, if he were to play the regular stuff, I'm sure he'd still love the game. ;
Both AA's and equipment may be neat additions (I personally rather have none, but that's beating a dead horse), but the level of incorporating them throughout the playlists has been the issue.

Lazslo

No wonder why Halo: 2 was amazing: "Enviroment Artists 2 Week Bender" Followed by "Recovery aka Sick Week"
DUL92.png

Shit, After the horror stories told about the Halo 2 Crunch-Months (Months- not weeks) and the 'Death March" those dudes deserved it. 15 Crazy fucking HUGE levels with a Multiplayer component that NO ONE NEVER DID before- all on the Xbox1 in 2 years, thats nuts. I bet that MS-Cubical Redmond building Bungie was in during the development of Halo 2 will forever Stink like the musk of "Smelly-Dude"

It's gonna hurt when Bungie goes silent. Like a girlfriend not talking to you after a ten-year relationship.

Best analogy I could come up with. :(

equil

I hit the 21,000 jackpot earlier today.
The people in my party didnt believe me cause I was the only one who got it. lol

Only took like 3 games.

A27 Tawpgun said:
No DMR starts...

There are some. Just certain gametypes though.

neoism

Ramirez said:
But they're not implemented correctly in any regular playlist, lol. Tashi plays MLG exclusively, if he were to play the regular stuff, I'm sure he'd still love the game. ;)

So they're going to reveal all of the surprises for Bungie Day two weeks from the actual date?
The only AA I use is.. ;)

Ramirez

neoism said:
The only AA I use is.. ;)

Sprint I imagine, but I feel it's far from perfect as well. Being able to sprint on spawn cheapens some aspects of the game, such as running directly back to where you just died, or being able to sprint back to a flag carrier immediately. MLG has it right...also sprint and double melee is one of the worst things about the game...

Tawpgun

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

THERE GOES MY WIN STREAK.

2 Flag Slayer on Asylum... The fucking timer on the sniper is screwed up as there is ALWAYS a sniper on the map.

Then, the goddamn Reach nades fucked us all over. Team shotting? LOL SO H3 AGO. It's all about Team Nading. The Reach nades have a huge radius and I get that the damage drops off, but when you're trying to recharge shields with explosions all around you you find out that you CAN'T. Because you're taking slivers of damage. Not to mention how they goddamn chain react.

But the thing that pains me the most is that we could have won, we could have prevailed from the bullshit of nade spammers, terrible sanctuary remake, and horrible timers.... if only sudden death wasn't so fucked. We had it on one of our side ramps with 20 seconds left in sudden death. But then I got 34984029 nades thrown at me. 5 seconds left.... Then someone came in with a clutch flag grab. MORE NADES. NOPE.

Goddamn. If its possible at all fix fucking sudden death in this game do it. A static sudden death period of one minute if the flag is away.

343 save us.

/rant

Ramirez said:
Sprint I imagine, but I feel it's far from perfect as well. Being able to sprint on spawn cheapens some aspects of the game, such as running directly back to where you just died, or being able to sprint back to a flag carrier immediately. MLG has it right...also sprint and double melee is one of the worst things about the game...
I really hate how MLG limits the sprint on spawn. I understand why it's done, but I don't enjoy being temporarily limited. I would've preferred maps and gametypes being built with sprint as a central ability in mind but that's obviously not possible because of the variety of AA in the game that they needed to support and accommodate. Another example of how less would be more...

And sprint to double melee wouldn't be so bad if not for the terrible new melee/shield system. If it was the same as the Halo of yore, you'd be able to put enough shots into someone as they sprint at you and probably trade one hit but you'd still kill them.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Barrow Roll said:
I really hate how MLG limits the sprint on spawn. I understand why it's done, but I don't enjoy being temporarily limited. I would've preferred maps and gametypes being built with sprint as a central ability in mind but that's obviously not possible because of the variety of AA in the game that they needed to support and accommodate. Another example of how less would be more...

And sprint to double melee wouldn't be so bad if not for the terrible new melee/shield system. If it was the same as the Halo of yore, you'd be able to put enough shots into someone as they sprint at you and probably trade one hit but you'd still kill them.

You get used to it after a while. And yea melee damage should be 75%, it makes the new shield/melee system not so bad. I actually like the new system. Maybe not as much as the previous Halo games but I don't find it to be an issue really. Then again, what do I know, I only play MLG. It's basically a different game lol

Ramirez

Man, you guys had a lot of animosity towards me in those games. Invasion is terrible, but I would never quit on a party. Then I hear that I'm always crying about the melee system, yet I have 12 melee kills. 1) I'm spawning with a plasma pistol as an Elite, what do you want me to do? 2) Just because I loathe something doesn't mean I'm not going to use it. ;)

Ramirez said:
Man, you guys had a lot of animosity towards me in those games. Invasion is terrible, but I would never quit on a party. Then I hear that I'm always crying about the melee system, yet I have 12 melee kills. 1) I'm spawning with a plasma pistol as an Elite, what do you want me to do? 2) Just because I loathe something doesn't mean I'm not going to use it. ;)
It's NeoGAF.

Tunavi

Banned
Ramirez said:
lol maybe if you had a mic you wouldn't have been so easy to pick on

Top Bottom