• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A27 Tawpgun said:
Would they work as a computer mic as well? I've been meaning to get a new one.

Yea it comes with 2 different 3.5mm connections. 1 for audio and 1 for microphone input. You just gotta plug them in :)

I paid 180$ on Amazon Trash

Sorry it took so long for this to get online. It turns out that prize distribution is the hardest part of such a large tournament.

Prize winners, tournament moments and memorable matches inside. Check it out!

And apparently, a lot of people love Easter eggs. :^)

Ramirez said:
Man, you guys had a lot of animosity towards me in those games. Invasion is terrible, but I would never quit on a party. Then I hear that I'm always crying about the melee system, yet I have 12 melee kills. 1) I'm spawning with a plasma pistol as an Elite, what do you want me to do? 2) Just because I loathe something doesn't mean I'm not going to use it. ;)

We were just giving you shit because you didn't have a mic in. There is no animosity bro <3

Good games to everyone in that party. good times.

Hitmonchan107 said:

You are my hero

Ramirez

Hitmonchan107 said:

Sorry it took so long for this to get online. It turns out that prize distribution is the hardest part of such a large tournament.

Nice write up, I totally forgot to reply to your PM, I was busy the day I read it and it slipped my mind, haha. Hey, I won something, maybe Halo Wars will still be around by the time it's my turn, heh.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
Nice write up, I totally forgot to reply to your PM, I was busy the day I read it and it slipped my mind, haha. Hey, I won something, maybe Halo Wars will still be around by the time it's my turn, heh.
MY NED IS BETTER THAN YOUR NED! :p

Hitmon, very cool writeup. Had I known you were actually going to include my little blurb I might have written up something a bit better haha.

Once again, thanks to you and Duncan for organizing that whole thing. Was really surprised with the turnout, and I know the NeoGAF squad had a lot of fun doing it. Hopefully we can do something like that again. Maybe do it over a couple nights rather than one though to make it easier to get the teams gathered successfully for time's sake.

Anyways though, I think everyone really appreciates the time you both put into that. Here's hoping that we get to experience it again sometime. :)

GhaleonEB said:
My team mates are some of the worst in human existence. Halp.
Send me an invite: ncsuDuncan

Guaranteed not to be the worst in human existence.

Trasher said:
Once again, thanks to you and Duncan for organizing that whole thing. Was really surprised with the turnout, and I know the NeoGAF squad had a lot of fun doing it. Hopefully we can do something like that again. Maybe do it over a couple nights rather than one though to make it easier to get the teams gathered successfully for time's sake.

Anyways though, I think everyone really appreciates the time you both put into that. Here's hoping that we get to experience it again sometime. :)

Thanks. Definitely planning on doing this again sometime. The first one was definitely a learning experience.

NOKYARD

Hitmonchan107 said:
2lw57ba.jpg

Great write up!

"NeoGAF vs. High Speed Halo, Final Game (Thanks, Schooly D!)"
Our final game was Dino Slayer on Blood Gulch
(pissing off the other team with inane game choices is a legitimate strategy)
Should be "NeoGAF vs. Master Theory, Final Game"

Havok

A couple things:

- Terrible Halo 3 style Assault rules ruin Premium Battle, which would be a pretty great playlist if it was the superior Halo 2/default Reach rules. How this terrible mistake was made in Big Team (still not fixed) and then made AGAIN with a new playlist is beyond my comprehension. Also: Invasion Breakpoint shows up way too often, with too little Highlands.

- Trueskill is a joke. Two games in a row we are matched with a person who gets a single kill over the course of the two matches. He just ran around watching people, not firing a single shot for the majority of each match. First off, why in the world would it match three relatively high-level people with a Warrant Officer in the first place? Sure, I get it. Rank is not a measure of skill (which is a moot point, because he was fucking terrible), but it is a measure of experience. A new player should not in any case be put into a position like that, with a gargantuan skill gap ruining the match. Its unfun for both the new player and the experienced ones. In short: Trueskill is a joke. It has occurred to me that there are extremely few cases in Reach where an Objective match is a close one. One side almost always completely stomps on the other in my experience. This is an indication of bad matchmaking skill parameters.

- 1 Flag Reflection plays a million times better now that it doesn't have the Jetpack in Objective. However, there is a dearth of decent maps in the Objective playlist now that Hemo is gone (which needs a replacement for some vehicle action). Boardwalk has the worst objective placement in the game, so I refuse to vote for it, and I can only play Asylum and Zealot so many times. Also, Hot Potato? You kept that in, really?

- For that matter, why in the world isn't there a Multibomb gametype in Objective? You have single bomb and neutral, but no two bomb.

- I pity the fool who can only spawn in Breakpoint's Vehicle Bay. You are literally incapable of getting any of the power weapons that spawn (2x rockets, 1 sniper, 1 laser) in the other two spawn zones. It just highlights the issues that the entire Invasion spawn system has.

...I had more, but I forgot the rest.

NOKYARD said:
Great write up!

"NeoGAF vs. High Speed Halo, Final Game (Thanks, Schooly D!)"
Our final game was Dino Slayer on Blood Gulch
(pissing off the other team with inane game choices is a legitimate strategy)
Should be "NeoGAF vs. Master Theory, Final Game"
Crap on a stick. Thanks!

Fixed!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Duncan and I are definitely looking forward to doing this again.

It was really great to see the response from the Halo community and to see the involvement from 343.

Tunavi

Banned
After all those times I yoinked Hitmonchan, I finally saved him with a showstopper.

Good day of halo. The Flag playlist rocks a lot.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hitmonchan107 said:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2lw57ba.jpg

Hey, I won something!

Which I will be giving away.

Havok said:
A couple things:

- Terrible Halo 3 style Assault rules ruin Premium Battle, which would be a pretty great playlist if it was the superior Halo 2/default Reach rules. How this terrible mistake was made in Big Team (still not fixed) and then made AGAIN with a new playlist is beyond my comprehension. Also: Invasion Breakpoint shows up way too often, with too little Highlands.

Assault is possibly the only objective gametype that had good settings straight off the disc. Why they have gone to this instant arm in the big team bomb gametypes puzzles me.

Striker

Steelyuhas said:
Assault is possibly the only objective gametype that had good settings straight off the disc. Why they have gone to this instant arm in the big team bomb gametypes puzzles me.
It's terrible. It makes bomb games in BTB go entirely too fast and entirely too easy.

I wish 1 Bomb on Reflection showed up more. It seems since the purge there's been a lot of Asylum, Zealot, and Countdown showing up, though I suppose we shouldn't be surprised.

According to Frankie in a USA Today interview:

We are going to talk a little bit more about Halo 4, but we are not going to do a blowout about Halo 4 at [PAX]. And we are going to have some elements from the universe. The warthog (vehicle) from Weta is going to be shipped over so people can sit in it and take pictures. It is to just celebrate ten years in this really incredible universe with really loyal fans.

Kuroyume

Banned
When you press Y to switch back to the old graphics in Anniversary does it switch back to 4:3 or did they make the old graphics widescreen too? Also, is the map pack going to be available for Reach owners? Is there a way to play all the Reach maps including this map pack without having to keep switching discs?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Kuroyume said:
When you press Y to switch back to the old graphics in Anniversary does it switch back to 4:3 or did they make the old graphics widescreen too? Also, is the map pack going to be available for Reach owners? Is there a way to play all the Reach maps including this map pack without having to keep switching discs?

The classic graphics are both 16x9 and HD. To answer your second question, we will offer the maps as a seperate item for Reach owners who don't purchase Anniversary. Though we're still working out the timing on that.

Can one of you kindly souls clarify a couple of things for me: I was under the impression that Halo CEA's multiplayer component would basically function as a map pack for Reach, and would therefore only be accessible through Reach's matchmaking system. However, I no longer think that's the case - if I'm reading it right, you can access the seven maps from the CEA disk and play match-made games, but you're restricted to those seven maps.

So if you're accessing the seven maps via the CEA disk, will it match you with people who are accessing them via Reach, or will the two games function independently of each other?

Also, am I correct in thinking that 343 have no plans to include the existing Reach DLC in CEA? I was kind of hoping they'd follow Bungie's lead with ODST, which had all the existing Halo 3 DLC thrown in. I'm asking because a few of my friends have expressed an interest in CEA, but have thus far refused to buy the Reach DLC. It does of course mean I'm pretty limited as to what maps I can play with them. :(

Lucky Gonk said:
Can one of you kindly souls clarify a couple of things for me: I was under the impression that Halo CEA's multiplayer component would basically function as a map pack for Reach, and would therefore only be accessible through Reach's matchmaking system. However, I no longer think that's the case - if I'm reading it right, you can access the seven maps from the CEA disk and play match-made games, but you're restricted to those seven maps.

So if you're accessing the seven maps via the CEA disk, will it match you with people who are accessing them via Reach, or will the two games function independently of each other?

Also, am I correct in thinking that 343 have no plans to include the existing Reach DLC in CEA? I was kind of hoping they'd follow Bungie's lead with ODST, which had all the existing Halo 3 DLC thrown in. I'm asking because a few of my friends have expressed an interest in CEA, but have thus far refused to buy the Reach DLC. It does of course mean I'm pretty limited as to what maps I can play with them. :(

I think I read somewhere that you would be able to download the 7 maps to Reach. Wouldn't really make sense since the maps are made with the Reach multiplayer in mind.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Lucky Gonk said:

Yup. You can do all the expected multiplayer stuff but you only have the seven maps to play with. Think of it as a standalone slice of Reach's multiplayer.

Lucky Gonk said:

Playing with the CEA disk and included Reach maps means you'll be playing on those maps regardless of players using the CEA or accessing the maps from Reach.

Lucky Gonk said:

Yep, no Reach maps in CEA apart from the seven new maps CEA is giving us. I imagine that leaving out the other Reach multiplayer content helps keeps the price down

Also, if you have purchased Reach, CEA gives you a token (although the specifics are not yet finalised) to download the CEA Reach maps so that you can access them in Reach proper (all the maps in one place).

It would have been nice to have a "complete" multiplayer Reach disk like ODST did but at least Reach players are rewarded with the map token.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I wonder how the achievements will work if they're DLC for Reach but the only available maps in Anniversary.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Lyphen said:
I wonder how the achievements will work if they're DLC for Reach but the only available maps in Anniversary.

Good question. It seems unlikely that the Reach maps wouldn't have Achievements so it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Havok said:
Trueskill is a joke. Two games in a row we are matched with a person who gets a single kill over the course of the two matches. He just ran around watching people, not firing a single shot for the majority of each match. First off, why in the world would it match three relatively high-level people with a Warrant Officer in the first place? Sure, I get it. Rank is not a measure of skill (which is a moot point, because he was fucking terrible), but it is a measure of experience. A new player should not in any case be put into a position like that, with a gargantuan skill gap ruining the match. Its unfun for both the new player and the experienced ones. In short: Trueskill is a joke. It has occurred to me that there are extremely few cases in Reach where an Objective match is a close one. One side almost always completely stomps on the other in my experience. This is an indication of bad matchmaking skill parameters.

Seriously, this. It took me months to get over bloom, nuke grenades that don't bounce well, no bleed through etc. I'm past that now and I appreciate Reach for what it is, a very good Halo game that you have to play in a very different style. But what I can't get past is the completely gratuitous ineptitude of the so-called 'truskill' system. A lot of people I know now refuse to play the game with randoms; they'd rather not play at all than have to deal with the failings of the 'ranking' system.

The last four games I played yesterday were a disgrace. I urge you to take a glance at the stats of these games

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=642767597&player=The Henery - I went +17. My teammates combined to go - 20. The only positive player on the opposing team went +1. We lost.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=642784452&player=The Henery - I went +14. We had a guy and his guest go nearly -30 combined. Throw another -9 in the mix and yep, sure enough we lost that game.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=642798106&player=The Henery - I went +5. Two of my teammates went -10 combined before they decided to quit. The remaining teammate (we were on Hemorrhage) was playing the map like it was 15 september 2010, incessantly running to the cliffside after spawing. He went -14. Needless to say, the game was lost.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=642817685&player=The Henery - I went +12. One guy quit early on. The remaining teammate and his guest conspired to go -17 in total. We lost.

These were four games played consecutively; these are not isolated incidents. Urk's defence of truskill stated that the game throws relatively new players to a playlist into the mix to find how they stand. This didn't happen with 1-50. A level 1 was never paired with a level 50 to 'find where he stands' against him. No, you had to work your way through the ranks incrementally, consistently having to prove yourself better than the 'within a range of ten' rank you were paired against. Was 1-50 perfect? No but it was a thousand times more efficient than what we have in Reach - essentially a free for all shitfest where all ranges of skill are lumped together and you fight not the opponent but the people on your team.

I remember when going, say, -8 was considered a really bad game in Halo 3 team snipers. Lol.

Hitmonchan107 said:

Cool. :)

thee henery said:
Long winded post about Trueskill sucking

I think everyone agrees Trueskill in Reach sucks bad. I'm about 250% less frustrated and angry now that I don't play with randoms.

You're a good player too you don't need to put up with that shit, friend request some people from here.

Trueskill is broke, win/loss forever will be a statistic based on who you know.

Top Bottom