• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Ramirez said:
Well, pretty sure I was talking about the scale of the maps being right.

Yeah I know you said that, but the scale of Asylum is not perfect, and the map is just fucked in general.

I would still like to see where some forged remakes went and why they didn't put any in MM.

Ramirez

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah I know you said that, but the scale of Asylum is not perfect, and the map is just fucked in general.

I would still like to see where some forged remakes went and why they didn't put any in MM.

I never said it was perfect, but it's better than 99% of the community forge remake sans the MLG stuff.

Havok

Ramirez said:
I never said it was perfect, but it's better than 99% of the community forge remake sans the MLG stuff.
Really settin' the bar high there ;)
Striker said:
Why isn't any Warlock or Prophets versions used in Team Objective?

It's going to suck getting stuck playing Aslyum, Countdown, and Zealot all the time. Feels like even MLG has more variety in its own than currently Objective has. 1-flag Reflection is pretty damn fantastic, because due to no Jetpack, but of course the sheep don't vote for it.
I wouldn't even stop at Warlock and Prophet. One Flag Damnation would be great, Oddball and One Flag Lockout was usually pretty good, 2 Flag Hang 'em High, Beaver Creek would be absolutely perfect for that playlist. Objective needs more map variety, it's not like there is any searching for maps or tweaking that needs to be done, seems like a no-brainer to me.

Ramirez said:

If were are speaking of Asylum specifically, there is community versions of Sanctuary that blow away what Bungie or MLG has done with it, and they have most of the traits that Sanctuary has that are missing from Asylum or MLG's version.

We never saw the Lockout and Warlock that Bungie made, outside of the short shots of it in the video, but its very possible that they are better than what the community has come up with.

I'm with you on your original point btw, just thought Asylum was a good example of Bungie seriously messing up a remake with forge. I assumed the shots of Warlock and Lockout in the vidoc meant that Bungie would add their versions of those maps to matchmaking, but that obviously didn't happen.

Good games tonight. I'm growing really fond of Neutral Assault on Wayont.

Also, thank you to everyone that played on Bone Patch and Glaive earlier. Got some great feedback. I did some more work on the Glaive CTF spawns, it shouldn't spawn Blue team so low any more.

Starting to like Wayont.

Got some revenge on that Tuffy guy who gave me my first arena loss of Season 8. He refused to even play and just went 0 and 12, total pussy.

Got about 600 kills today and finished the weekly.

Good games all.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
Good games tonight. I'm growing really fond of Neutral Assault on Wayont.
Same. It's a good game type on a good map. Quite reminiscent of Standoff, complete with the missile silo thingies on the side. The alternated Warthog and then Mongoose distraction tactics worked wonders.

It's been a very long time since I had such a good time in Reach multiplayer. Flagstravaganza is fantastic. Figures it would be a temporary playlist. :(

Tunavi

Banned
Havok said:
One Flag Damnation would be great
you just got me very excited for this classic map pack.

Amazing games tonight. Assault on Wayont was sooooo epic. lots and lots of fun.

By the way, this is the douche we played with and the guy I was talking about.
T 2the uffy
He was trolling us exactly like this before and after the game.

GhaleonEB said:
Same. It's a good game type on a good map. Quite reminiscent of Standoff, complete with the missile silo thingies on the side. The alternated Warthog and then Mongoose distraction tactics worked wonders.

It's been a very long time since I had such a good time in Reach multiplayer. Figures it would be in a temporary playlist. :(

To be fair those bomb games were in BTB.

Good games for everyone tonight, we were rolling fools that were foolish enough to oppose us.

Super sad I missed this. :lol

To make you guys sad with me, here's Mike Delman, vice president of global marketing at Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business group:

Q: So will "Halo 4" be a Kinect game?

A: I'm sure we'll have some Kinect in it but we're not that far along.

GhaleonEB said:
Two separate statements: Neutral games rocked, also, Flagstravaganza is gud. Edited for clarity.

Aye I see, Flag playlist is awesome, it will be sad to see it go.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Super sad I missed this. :lol

To make you guys sad with me, here's Mike Delman, vice president of global marketing at Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business group:

Not surprised. I gotta put faith in 343 that the integration will be something that doesn't detract from the shooter experience.

Ramirez

Havok said:
Really settin' the bar high there ;)

I wouldn't even stop at Warlock and Prophet. One Flag Damnation would be great, Oddball and One Flag Lockout was usually pretty good, 2 Flag Hang 'em High, Beaver Creek would be absolutely perfect for that playlist. Objective needs more map variety, it's not like there is any searching for maps or tweaking that needs to be done, seems like a no-brainer to me.

Well, you see your first mistake was thinking this through logically. It makes sense, there fore it won't happen.

My current most hated thing about Reach at the moment, camo, what a POS.

JonCha

Played this for the first time in ages over the past couple of days, and I like Squad Battle (or whatever the official name is). It was probably my favourite playlist in H3 and H2 (if it was in that). The 100 kill limit it also a lot better.

I just can't get around the mechanics though, especially the problem of double beatdowns. That alone puts me off playing.

Sorry guys, that I was a bit annoying yesterday. But Zayne wanted to play with drunk hypah and I was at a birthday party. So yeah he got drunk hypah.

Striker

Havok said:
You remember this?

Similar to the recent Big Team Battle revamp, refined the playlist lineup so players are consistently being offered more popular experiences with less fringe gametypes
Is it?

In the BTB lineup, we got at least 3-4 new maps, Spire and Boneyard became near obsolete with its gimped asymmetric flag/bomb games, Slayer's weight and quantity got dropped big time, and we see a ton of CTF and Assault.

In the TO lineup, we get ZERO addition of maps. There's always the same three maps showing up frequently and more often they're the same gametype variations we always see. We get Neutral Flag showing up on par with Multi-CTF in Asylum. We get 3 Plots showing up often on Countdown, and nowhere else. Oddball is showing up a ton, as often as Multi-CTF and Neutral Bomb. And they, for some odd and unexplained reason, dropped 2-bomb Assault. Where is our explanations?

re: the Assault games in Premium Battle and BTB

It's funny, Fyrewulf (who is a Community Cartographer) was the person who saw the line about the instant-arm Assault being easily cheesed and rounds ending in 15 secs, and you know what? I bet NOTHING happens, because in his eyes and obviously in the eyes of most people in that group and above, feel that there's nothing wrong with instant-arm. smh

Tunavi said:
you just got me very excited for this classic map pack.

Amazing games tonight. Assault on Wayont was sooooo epic. lots and lots of fun.

By the way, this is the douche we played with and the guy I was talking about.
T 2the uffy
He was trolling us exactly like this before and after the game.

Wow, why would he capture that and upload it for the world? Embarrassed himself globally.

Still nobody beats this guy for twattery in trashtalk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTcMXH1fAAU

Nobody.

Also, Wayont is a gem of a forge map. Sensible weapon balance, vehicles work well on it, multiple routes into the bases; I think the forge map plucking from the community has really improved over time
remembers smashed eek
, Kingdom, Enclosed and Select are pretty good too.

JdFoX187

Banned
Striker said:
You remember this?

Is it?

In the BTB lineup, we got at least 3-4 new maps, Spire and Boneyard became near obsolete with its gimped asymmetric flag/bomb games, Slayer's weight and quantity got dropped big time, and we see a ton of CTF and Assault.

In the TO lineup, we get ZERO addition of maps. There's always the same three maps showing up frequently and more often they're the same gametype variations we always see. We get Neutral Flag showing up on par with Multi-CTF in Asylum. We get 3 Plots showing up often on Countdown, and nowhere else. Oddball is showing up a ton, as often as Multi-CTF and Neutral Bomb. And they, for some odd and unexplained reason, dropped 2-bomb Assault. Where is our explanations?

re: the Assault games in Premium Battle and BTB

It's funny, Fyrewulf (who is a Community Cartographer) was the person who saw the line about the instant-arm Assault being easily cheesed and rounds ending in 15 secs, and you know what? I bet NOTHING happens, because in his eyes and obviously in the eyes of most people in that group and above, feel that there's nothing wrong with instant-arm. smh
Don't forget the inherently broken evade and combine that with sword and shotgun that are on every single Team Objective map right now. Yet, hologram is missing. Two steps backward and a baby step forward. Next month, they'll switch over Assault to the shitty BTB version because guys like Fyrewulf that never played Halo 2 think 3's system is superior.

And feel free to go ahead and run to Fyrewulf through Twitter and tell him people aren't happy with the matchmaking decisions and the ridiculous damage control he tries to exercise. It's like middle school with some people.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Striker said:

Excuse me? Please don't make silly assumptions. Especially false ones.

When the instant arming of the Bomb was brought in with last month's BTB update, the issue was flagged immediately by the Community Cartographers group and we asked Jeremiah about it. This was his response;

We're continuing to gather feedback and data on this, so far we're seeing what we expected and desired, more bombs detonating.

Now seeing that instant arming has made it's way into other playlists, it appears as if Bungie has acted on the feedback and data they received from last month's data. Apparently more bomb armings, if you can take that assumption away from this, is something that was intended if they increased instant arming's presence.

I disagree with instant armings. The folks in the Cartographers group that flagged it also disagree with it. Maybe some in the group do agree but I haven't, nor will I, poll everyone in the group to find out. Bottom line is that their introduction had nothing to do with the Cartographers and we have no special influence to remove or add them.

Instant armings worked the way Jeremiah wanted to. They produce the results he wants to see. Take it up with him if you are unhappy in the Optimatch forums on Bnet. We Cartographers did our part with raising the issue when it first came about.

I'm sure Jeremiah has his reasons but like with a lot of things, you can't please everyone all of the time.

Striker

http://twitter.com/#!/Dax01/status/79913241291137024

5zp7ac.jpg

--

Dani,

It's not against you, nor Fyre. I had figured as much you guys had a little more push in the fields than simply gathering, and playtesting, maps. I s'pose the best thing to happen now is if this poster from Bungie.net's forum gets the video and shows how horribly, unbalanced, unfun, and nonstrategic instant arming is, it may get changed. But truth be told, I doubt it. A harder push should be happening. Apparently you're a group who gets listened to, and sometimes a vocal majority on the Optimatch, but this shit just makes the game terrible.

Instant arming is the biggest crutch in objective Halo.

Striker

Dax01 said:
Wanted to get his side of the story, and it turns out you were wrong in your assumption. Go figure.
His side of the story? Read a little around kiddo.

What did he reply back to you? Oh, right.

Striker said:
His side of the story? Read a little around kiddo.

What did he reply back to you? Oh, right.
Whether or not he replied to me doesn't matter. Your assumption about the Community Cartographers was wrong and Dani corrected you. Despite whatever shortcomings (and I have some), Premium Battle and Flagstravaganza are good playlists, and have me playing outside of Actionsack for once.

Edit: Now to continue my Halo 2 playthrough.

Striker

Dax01 said:
Whether or not he replied to me doesn't matter. Your assumption about the Community Cartographers was wrong and Dani corrected you. Despite whatever shortcomings (and I have some), Premium Battle and Flagstravaganza are good playlists, and have me playing outside of Actionsack for once.

Edit: Now to continue my Halo 2 playthrough.
No, in fact, you said I was taking a shot at him. Which is wrong, and he told you so.

ElRenoRaven

A27_StarWolf said:
I had a thought today, I'm not saying that it would be balanced.....

Armor Abilities for Vehicles!

So you are in a warthog...

-Speed Boost! (sprint) Your warthog has a brief speed boost and charges forward! Imagine the splatter kills!

-Jet Jump! (Jetpack) Something in the way? Imagine a quick boost that rockets you one spartan's length up in the air!

-Stealth(camo) Cloak the entire vehicle and people in it for a sneak attack!

-Its a trap!(Hologram) Imagine being able to send a replica of an entire vehicle to trick the enemies!

-Super Shield(drop shield) A shield that heals your warthog appears around the vehicle, and it blocks fire from other hostile (or friendly) weapons

-EMP bomb (armor lock) The vehicle charges up an emp blast that disables other vehicles (not your own) and while charging it makes you invincible!

-DO A BARREL ROLL! (evade) The vehicle does a barrel roll, forwards, backwards, left, and right!

I would totally laugh my ass off to see 343 or Bungie while they still have some say mock up a video of that. I'd literally be rolling on the floor.

ElRenoRaven

A27_StarWolf said:
Thank you! Someone sees it.

Oh I saw it. I would have replied sooner but was on a mandatory forum vacation. It would just be freaking hilarious to see. Hell Imagine a Warthog barreling down on a Mongoose and bam the Mongoose Armorlocks. Poor Warthog wouldn't know what hit him. Or a scorpion fires on a Ghost and bam REJECTION!. lol

Kuroyume

Banned
What the fuck is going on Jeremiah's head? No shit there's going to be more bombs detonating. It's like 100 times easier and shittier. Spawn people with Rocket Launchers and more people will die faster. DURRRRRRRRRRRRR

Striker

Kuroyume said:
What the fuck is going on Jeremiah's head? No shit there's going to be more bombs detonating. It's like 100 times easier and shittier. Spawn people with Rocket Launchers and more people will die faster. DURRRRRRRRRRRRR
He wants more scoring. More points, more fun!

He's turning into the David Stern/Roger Goodell of Halo. :(

JonCha

Striker said:

Is there a link to these changes? I've hardly played so I'm sorta out of it. Is it basically now in Assault games that planting a bombs instantly gets a point?

Striker said:

I disagree, I feel like instant arm works well in Big Team Games. I mean, How many games in Reach end it ties? A freaking huge amount.

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
Dani,

It's not against you, nor Fyre. I had figured as much you guys had a little more push in the fields than simply gathering, and playtesting, maps. I s'pose the best thing to happen now is if this poster from Bungie.net's forum gets the video and shows how horribly, unbalanced, unfun, and nonstrategic instant arming is, it may get changed. But truth be told, I doubt it. A harder push should be happening. Apparently you're a group who gets listened to, and sometimes a vocal majority on the Optimatch, but this shit just makes the game terrible.

Instant arming is the biggest crutch in objective Halo.
Thought I'd add a little background. Jeremiah solicited general playlist feedback last month, rather than our usual focus on maps and map fixes. The result was an avalanche of feedback from the folks in the group, and Jeremiah took much of it to heart and incorporated it into the update that went live this week. He disagreed with some of it, and the instant arm was one of the things he disagreed with. A lot of the changes this month were reflective of the Cartographers feedback, including removing drop shield from all objective games and the Firefight changes (the new playlist aside).
The Real Napsta said:
So who keeps telling Jeremiah to make all this AR start gametypes? (like flagstravaganza)
Jeremiah.

Though, the playlist is not all AR starts. Speedflag and a few other game types are DMR starts.

(I prefer AR/Magnum starts on small maps, especially for objectives, so I think the playlist is great as is.)

The Real Napsta said:
So who keeps telling Jeremiah to make all this AR start gametypes? (like flagstravaganza)
I do not know why Bungie insists on forcing the AR on us. Why not give us AR/BR start? I just can't see peoples valid reasoning for hating the BR so much.

Edit: I've asked this many times over, but I want to ask it again since there seems to be several AR lovers here.

What is your response to fighting a player with a DMR who is across the map from you? Or better yet if there is someone with your flag running away how do you shoot them?

Surprised no one mentioned the weird challenges today. Earn 2 double kills in one match for 1k. Earn 4 double kills in one match for 2k. Weird choice if you ask me.

I haven't had any problems with AR starts on that flag playlist. I don't know if I even played one with AR starts... Pistol secondary is perfect though.

Jeremiah, the guy who made Halo 2 fun afaik, is now receiving similar snide remarks to those Shishka was given... Disagree with the playlist decisions all you want folks but petty insults about his intelligence and whatnot makes for terrible reading.

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
I do not know why Bungie insists on forcing the AR on us. Why not give us AR/BR start? I just can't see peoples valid reasoning for hating the BR so much.

Edit: I've asked this many times over, but I want to ask it again since there seems to be several AR lovers here.

What is your response to fighting a player with a DMR who is across the map from you? Or better yet if there is someone with your flag running away how do you shoot them?
I don't like the range of the DMR, and have concluded that Bungie's efforts to limit the BR range with burst fire spread and a 2x scope was a good thing. On smallish maps, the DMR enables players to tag anyone from anywhere and each game turns into a shooting gallery. A light mix of Nerfle and DMRs on the map are sufficient so long as the spawning team has a decent amount of cover and access to one or two. I like shorter engagements as they play out in more interesting ways than constant long range donging (ala Hemorrhage).

The situation where one team has all DMRs and has the other lowly team pinned down from afar can conceptually be a problem and I'll cheerfully revise my view should I run into that situation, but I haven't so far. Most maps in the flag playlist have enough cover from spawn and a few long range weapons on hand with rapid respawns to enable counter fire, so that I have not run into that problem yet. The fast paced game types, where players can zip in and snag flags quickly (Speedpile) feature DMR starts, since players can get away with the flag too easily otherwise.

Top Bottom