• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

ElRenoRaven

xxjuicesxx said:
Even the AR "lovers" have the DMR as their ToD. Its basically a denial thing at this point.

AR/DMR! for all normal playlists!

lionkingiscommunist.jpg

Um if you play a lot of Firefight then of course you're going to show the DMR as your tools of destruction.

I think it'd be cool if it was only supplementary stuff was operated by Kinect. Like, say, if there were Dead Space 2-esqe hacking/dismantling portions where you play as Cortana or something.

PsychoRaven said:
Um if you play a lot of Firefight then of course you're going to show the DMR as your tools of destruction.

Its all seperated in the b.net stats I have DMR as my ToD in FF, Competitive, Arena, Invasion, Customs, and Campaign...

ElRenoRaven

xxjuicesxx said:
Its all seperated in the b.net stats I have DMR as my ToD in FF, Competitive, Arena, Invasion, Customs, and Campaign...

Oh so it is. Here is my break down in the competitive section. And yes I know I am a Halo god.....bwahahahaha I can't say that with a straight face. lmao

xVtsn.jpg

PsychoRaven said:
Oh so it is. Here is my break down in the competitive section. And yes I know I am a Halo god.....bwahahahaha I can't say that with a straight face. lmao

Eww haha I mean I guess if you enjoy respawning all the time the AR is great.

I just dont really see why they are still making half of us angry every game.

Spawn us with DMR and AR and you can be happy running at me with an AR and punching me for a kill and I can attempt to five shot you before it happens...

ElRenoRaven

kylej said:
^^^ bad kid

Hey I'll have you know I ain't a kid. 31 years old thank you very much. lol

xxjuicesxx said:
Eww haha I mean I guess if you enjoy respawning all the time the AR is great.

I just dont really see why they are still making half of us angry every game.

Spawn us with DMR and AR and you can be happy running at me with an AR and punching me for a kill and I can attempt to five shot you before it happens...

See that's the problem. You're gonna piss someone off either way.

PsychoRaven said:
See that's the problem. You're gonna piss someone off either way.

but why, you get your AR and I get my DMR? Seems like everyones happy.

Right now we get to choose a Slayer DMR/Pro or a Slayer and every game a bunch of people go UGHHHH after the voting ends.

GhaleonEB said:
The situation where one team has all DMRs and has the other lowly team pinned down from afar can conceptually be a problem and I'll cheerfully revise my view should I run into that situation, but I haven't so far. Most maps in the flag playlist have enough cover from spawn and a few long range weapons on hand with rapid respawns to enable counter fire, so that I have not run into that problem yet. The fast paced game types, where players can zip in and snag flags quickly (Speedpile) feature DMR starts, since players can get away with the flag too easily otherwise.
You've never ran into this situation? I honestly don't see how that is even possible.

Also, your comment about not liking it when a player can shoot anyone from anywhere on the map... Isn't that supposed to be a good thing? It seems bizarre in a FPS to just stare across the map at someone and be unable to shoot at them.

PsychoRaven said:

[IMG LMAO /IMG]
I just... I dont even...

I have THREE AR kills in competitive, and am ashamed of all three of them.

ElRenoRaven

xxjuicesxx said:
but why, you get your AR and I get my DMR? Seems like everyones happy.

Right now we get to choose a Slayer DMR/Pro or a Slayer and every game a bunch of people go UGHHHH after the voting ends.

For me it's this. When everyone starts with a BR/DMR there it takes away the entire sandbox. Nobody uses anything but a BR/DMR then. At least with the AR you see people actually bother to pick up other weapons. I have no problem with the BR/DMR being pick ups on the map but starting with them takes all the fun out of the game.

kylej said:
^^^ bad man

That's better. lol

PsychoRaven said:
For me it's this. When everyone starts with a BR/DMR there it takes away the entire sandbox. Nobody uses anything but a BR/DMR then. At least with the AR you see people actually bother to pick up other weapons. I have no problem with the BR/DMR being pick ups on the map but starting with them takes all the fun out of the game.

You're so good with the AR though with that impressive 2.3 k/d with it...and the game is so balanced even if they start with the DMR why wouldn't they pickup all that other stuff???

Ill just answer that for you.

Cause the DMR is the fucking shit and its what Halo is all about.

Headshots.

ElRenoRaven

xxjuicesxx said:
You're so good with the AR though with that impressive 2.3 k/d with it...and the game is so balanced even if they start with the DMR why wouldn't they pickup all that other stuff???

Ill just answer that for you.

Cause the DMR is the fucking shit and its what Halo is all about.

Headshots.

And that's where the divide is. For you it's all about the headshots. For others it's not. Also there is plenty of AR using in those games. So it's not like everyone runs off to pick something else up.

PsychoRaven said:
And that's where the divide is. For you it's all about the headshots. For others it's not. Also there is plenty of AR using in those games. So it's not like everyone runs off to pick something else up.

So you can not get headshots, while I do in the SAME GAME.

Is your argument really the DMR is too powerful so nobody uses other stuff so it ruins the game? and if so. Why do you continue to use the AR so much? Are you that stubborn you'd rather suck than do good?

ElRenoRaven

xxjuicesxx said:
So you can not get headshots, while I do in the SAME GAME.

Is your argument really the DMR is too powerful so nobody uses other stuff so it ruins the game? and if so. Why do you continue to use the AR so much? Are you that stubborn you'd rather suck than do good?

You know. I had a long reply typed up but it's useless. There is no arguing with someone that thinks you suck unless you're using nothing but the BR/DMR. So I'm not even going to bother. So I'll just say what I said before. I thank Jeremiah for sticking to his guns on that and be done with this never ending cycle we're headed toward and go back to enjoying some Reach. Surprisingly my last game was DMR start.

vhfive

PsychoRaven said:

LAWL.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I am seriously baffled at this. I mean even the bad HaloGAF players like [URL="http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/weapons.aspx?player=A27%20STARWOLF"]starwolf[/URL], [URL="http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/weapons.aspx?player=squidhands"]squidhands[/URL], [URL="http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/careerstats/weapons.aspx?player=Louis%20Wu&vc=3"]wu[/URL], and [URL="http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/careerstats/weapons.aspx?player=GhaleonEB&vc=3"]ghal[/URL] have the DMR in their top slot with the AR not even in any of their top 3

GhaleonEB

xxjuicesxx said:
Even the AR "lovers" have the DMR as their ToD. Its basically a denial thing at this point.

AR/DMR! for all normal playlists!
I don't love the AR - but I prefer AR/Magnum starts on small maps for objective game types. I'm describing a specific circumstance, and you are making broad categorizations.

DMR is my tool of destruction because when I do play MP, I mostly play BTB, as I always have with Halo. And BTB is a DMR start playlist. So of course it's going to be my tool of destruction.

We're talking about a temporary playlist that just went up a few days ago, so career tools of destruction aren't really applicable.

I don't think anybody who loves the AR (me) dislikes the DMR. The DMR is my ToD by a wide margin, and I don't play much Firefight.

But my AR and Magnum K/D and Kph are both about the same, I'm +413 with the AR, +365 with the Magnum. DMR, It's like +1230. Obviously it's my go-to weapon.

I prefer having a full-auto weapon as my short-range fall-back. And I love killing Magnum-users with it, because all of them seem to feel as though it's a wildly inferior weapon.

It's also fun closing the gap in a DMR fire, tossing a grenade, swapping to the AR and annihilating them in close-quarters while they spam the trigger and hope to get lucky.

PsychoRaven said:
Thanks for reminding me why I went back to lurking Halogaf guys.
HaloGaf sometimes think they represent a larger portion of the community than they do. Ignore the troll/joke posts. Using AR is fine.

ElRenoRaven

The Antitype said:
I don't think anybody who loves the AR (me) dislikes the DMR. The DMR is my ToD by a wide margin, and I don't play much Firefight.

But my AR and Magnum K/D and Kph are both about the same, I'm +413 with the AR, +365 with the Magnum. It's like +1230. Obviously it's my go-to weapon.

I prefer having a full-auto weapon as my short-range fall-back. And I love killing Magnum-users with it, because all of them seem to feel as though it's a wildly inferior weapon.

It's also fun closing the gap in a DMR fire, tossing a grenade, swapping to the AR and annihilating them in close-quarters while they spam the trigger and hope to get lucky.

No it isn't just you. Nobody hates the DMR but people seem to think because you like using other weapons you hate it automatically.

feel

Hitmonchan107 said:
Super sad I missed this. :lol

To make you guys sad with me, here's Mike Delman, vice president of global marketing at Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business group:
I want as many kinect gimmicks as they can cram in there (in menus mostly, do not want any processing being used by it during gameplay). 100% sure there won't be a single thing that affects the normal game as you guys know it. Like I said before, mostly would want extra useless stuff like no controller forge mode so I can feel badass sending warthogs flying with a hand motion, telling the game precisely what I want to play in the lobby, down to advanced custom stuff, or what i want to vote for MM, having the menu backgrounds camera change perpective with you as you move around your room while you do other stuff, maybe some kind of dumb minigame while matchmaking searches for a match, etc. I can't see how useless/extra stuff like this would affect you kinect haters at all, all it would do is please people who already have the kinect plugged in anyways, Frankie won't force you guys to waggle your way to four shots for fucks sake... and if it's about them wasting manpower, well, it's probably people who were hired or put in there by MS just for kinect stuff, chillax...

TrounceX

14lu06h.jpg

It's simple, really. Whenever you get an AR start game just switch to pistol and punish those AR wielding noobs like PsychoRaven :)

Ok but the real reason I came here was to ask GAF if there's any news on a Halo Reach title update? That seems to be the rumor going around XBL right now.

Ramirez

People actually like the Pistol? I mean sure it's better than nothing when I get stuck with non DMR gametypes, but man, out of all of the weapons, I get more randomness with its bloom than any other weapon. Not to mention a DMR will just destroy you 99% of the time when you try to pistol/dmr battle them, regardless of range.

It's funny that bloom was implemented to try and give weapons a defined role, and eliminate that one all empowering weapon, but the DMR still beats pretty much anything in the game at any time, mission failed.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
People actually like the Pistol? I mean sure it's better than nothing when I get stuck with non DMR gametypes, but man, out of all of the weapons, I get more randomness with its bloom than any other weapon. Not to mention a DMR will just destroy you 99% of the time when you try to pistol/dmr battle them, regardless of range.

It's funny that bloom was implemented to try and give weapons a defined role, and eliminate that one all empowering weapon, but the DMR still beats pretty much anything in the game at any time, mission failed.

I'm glad that mission failed lol.

Ramirez said:

The weapon balance they had in the beta made that work, but in the final game it was epic fail. The pistol was nerfed hard and the magnetism now allows people to absolutely rip the DMR trigger without paying any attention to the bloom.

TrounceX

Ramirez said:

I destroy DMR users with the pistol all the time. And by all the time I mean like the once a week I play something with an AR start. It's impossible to explain but there's a little twitch you can do whenever your aimer hits the auto aim that makes it really accurate. Same with the DMR but to a far lesser extent.

I've beat DMR users with the pistol.

Just have to be at close-range.

The pistol is not the overpowered Halo: CE pistol. It's an effective short-range weapon that can beat the DMR and the AR at the far-end of close range...but gets raped face-to-face by the AR.

Ramirez

TrounceX said:
I destroy DMR users with the pistol all the time. And by all the time I mean like the once a week I play something with an AR start. It's impossible to explain but there's a little twitch you can do whenever your aimer hits the auto aim that makes it really accurate. Same with the DMR but to a far lesser extent.

Yea, it's called host.

I'm glad that mission failed lol.

Well, me too, but I think the gunplay suffered greatly for it, nothing feels smooth in this game.

Havok

TrounceX said:
Ok but the real reason I came here was to ask GAF if there's any news on a Halo Reach title update? That seems to be the rumor going around XBL right now.
I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Dani said:
Now seeing that instant arming has made it's way into other playlists, it appears as if Bungie has acted on the feedback and data they received from last month's data. Apparently more bomb armings, if you can take that assumption away from this, is something that was intended if they increased instant arming's presence.

I'm sure Jeremiah has his reasons but like with a lot of things, you can't please everyone all of the time.
I just want to address this (it's not aimed at anyone in particular, because I think some of the finger-pointing in the last couple pages has been silly). Objective is supposed to be difficult. That's what creates the requirement of teamwork to be successful. Default Assault rules do that; getting to the base with the bomb requires a strong push while you leave a defender at the base to stop a reasonably long arming process. Now a push consists of two people in a Mongoose, while the rest of the team can sit back and play Slayer all they want, because it's almost literally impossible to disarm the bomb after it's planted (which leads to issues like the 15 second Breakpoint drive-by arm). Yeah, you might have more armings, but I don't see why that's a good thing. More to the point, why is the reasoning behind these decisions hidden behind a private forum wall? I'd love to see the thinking behind a lot of these decisions, and they might even allow me to understand why they have to exist. Now it's just confusion at decisions that have little to no communication surrounding them.

Letters said:
no controller forge mode so I can feel badass sending warthogs flying with a hand motion
Yes. Just imagine if they brought back party leader monitor only. You could make Saw-type minigames where your team's spartans/elites/forerunner mechs/whatever have to complete objectives, otherwise you can spawn a crate and drop it on them personally. Or, even better--make it a symbiotic relationship; if a tank's about to blow up, you grab it so your allies are forced out and then throw it at an enemy Banshee, or summon a colosseum wall at the last second and hold onto it in hopes of protecting your allies from an air strike. That's some Green Lantern shit right there. :lol

Nutter

TrounceX said:

Yeah cuz I pull host all the time with my godly connection. I live on a farm in rural MN dude.
That doesnt mean shit.. I have a ridiculous Internet Connection yet I rarely get host.

Apparently the slow ass connections still get host.

I don't know, I've personally killed people with the magnum while they've had the DMR and vice versa. I would say it's a matter of range, but I know the closer you get the faster you can fire the DMR, so it's probably not. Regardless of connection, it's possible. I don't think there's any way you can really say one weapon's better than the other, there are waaaaay too many variables for one to simply be better outright.

vhfive

1v1
trounce with a pistol vs ram with a dmr
no grenades and no pickups
I would be surprised if trounce gets even one kill

EDIT:
Zee-V70 said:
I don't know, I've personally killed people with the magnum while they've had the DMR and vice versa. I would say it's a matter of range, but I know the closer you get the faster you can fire the DMR, so it's probably not. Regardless of connection, it's possible. I don't think there's any way you can really say one weapon's better than the other, there are waaaaay too many variables for one to simply be better outright.
wat
the DMR is better than the magnum. It's not even a question

Top Bottom