• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

ncsuDuncan said:
The steampunk stuff isn't explicitly related to Destiny, it could have something to do with Bungie Aerospace.

Hell, look at the "Greetings from Aerospace!" t-shirts they've been selling in the Bungie store for a year. That kind of gives me a steampunk vibe.

Judging from the Destiny logo and the Seven Seraphs shirt, I'd assume Destiny is very futuristic as opposed to steampunk.

Okay, crazy theories here:
Destiny - FPS MMO, very futuristic with factions/corporations and such spread across planets. This is the Activision 10-year franchise.
Bungie Aerospace - Steampunk flight combat game. Similar to Crimson Skies. The Saber section of LNoS was a test for this. This is just an XBLA game, isn't part of the Activision 10-year deal. Hell, could it be published by someone else? Microsoft?

Although calling it "Bungie Aerospace" makes it sound like it isn't a game, but is more of a platform or service... SUPER Crazy Idea: What if it's a service whereby they crowd-source map/gametype creation? Take the Forge World Community Cartographer stuff to the next level - give players the level-creation software, they build completely new geometry and submit it to Bungie Aerospace, which then tests it out and pushes it to the console shooter (Reach? Or probably just the next game.) Kind of like what Steam does for Team Fortress 2 with community maps, but with more QA testing for the console.

Urk says Bungie Day will bring us something we never expected to get our hands on. What if that's Bungie Aerospace?

Aerospace must not be a game. Hasn't Bungie specifically said that the whole power of the studio is working on a single game right now?

MMO news doesn't surprise me as I have thought the game is an MMO for a while now.

Tunavi

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Wait, what playlist is that in?
Team Slayer
The Real Napsta said:
4:3 looks so cramped. GG on the Perfection though bro.
SDTV's for life!
lybertyboy said:
Name a studio, and we likely have people from there. Kojima Productions, Id, 2K Marin, EA, FASA, Lucasarts, Retro, Pandemic, Etc. including some Bungie and Call of Duty ex-pats.
343 is stacked

Shake Appeal said:
'Destiny' is a pretty terrible name.

Yeah I was kind of hoping that was a placeholder name, but the more and more it keeps popping up makes me think that's actually the real name.

Dani said:
Halo sounded stupid at first.

I didn't really think so, but it doesn't really matter. As long as the game is awesome, no one is going to give a shit/get used to the name.

Steelyuhas said:
Well they could really do whatever the fuck they want to with the new maps because they can put whatever they want into the .map files. I am assuming that whatever is "classic" is tied to the new maps and will only be available on the new maps.
I've brought this idea up before, but I really think it could be a viable way to add "classic" weapon gameplay without requiring a title update.

Could they also update previous DLC with the new weapons? It would be nice to play the Defiant and Noble maps with the classic settings as well.

I really hope that one of the 6 Classic maps is another Forge World (with different textures on the peices of course). That way we could make new Forge maps that can use the "Classic++" settings, because I suspect they won't be available for the current Forge World maps.

Hell, if nothing else just combine the two ideas I have in this post and re-release Tempest with the Classic settings enabled (whatever they may be). This is all assuming that normal Reach maps won't be able to do "Classic++".

ElRenoRaven

urk said:
Oh, fake profile!

Ah. I still like the name though. Destiny just sounds epic in a simple sort of way. Also I notice you don't deny the Steampunk part of the post. Very interesting. lol

A27_StarWolf said:
Laying down the law.

I REALLY hope Bungie Aerospace is an arcade game, a decent starfox like arcade game.

Hell give me a flight combat game that plays like the Saber part of Reach and I'll buy it without a doubt.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
PsychoRaven said:
Ah. I still like the name though. Destiny just sounds epic in a simple sort of way. Also I notice you don't deny the Steampunk part of the post. Very interesting. lol

We're not making a Steampunk game. :)

ElRenoRaven

urk said:
We're not making a Steampunk game. :)

HAHAHA. Good to hear. I was hoping that would get a direct answer on that because you know if I hadn't said it someone would have run with that very thought that oh he didn't say nothing about Steampunk. So now Kotaku can keep from posting a whole series of articles on well they denied this but didn't deny this. lol

Dani said:
BWU 6/10 said:
Not a peep about our next project (though Aerospace, whatever it is, is now all systems go and counting down to launch) for a good, long while.
BWU 6/3 said:
That doesn’t mean you won’t hear anything at all out of the studio – we have some surprises up our sleeves that you’ll be learning about soon – but it does mean that for the time being you should expect us to keep dialing down the Halo, and that you should not expect us to spill the beans on any major project news any time soon.
You should expect to have a great time, get access to some seriously rare and limited edition swag, and maybe even get your hands on something you might never have expected.

We were told that we'd hear everything by month's end, so it's not going to be a game by Bungie. They denied that in the quotes above.

But what if it's not a major project by Bungie?

With Duke Nukem Forever, I found out that you could choose which platform you'd like to download the demo for. Before then, I assumed it was all handled through XBL and PSN. There's a way around the system.

What if Bungie Aerospace was a Steam-like service for consoles and PC alike?

My guess (to be proven wrong in two weeks): Steampunk could be a jab at "Steam," and Bungie Aerospace is Bungie's take on the digital download realm. The twist? Bungie will act as publisher for the titles, therefore making more money on the downloads. It won't be a new physical branch. The thing we might not have expected to get our hands on? My guess is the Bungie Aerospace application/webpage with a demo of "Crimson."

If "Crimson" is a game from an indie developer, it makes perfect sense to allow Bungie to wait until Bungie Day to reveal it. At E3, it would've been lost in the sea of sequels and AAA titles. Gaming sites already have 7/7 marked down on their calendars. For Bungie to come out and say, "We're going digital download. By the way, here's our first game to publish: 'Crimson,'" it would be the perfect opportunity for a smaller game to receive the same spotlight as a AAA title.

Can you imagine the marketing potential of a Steam service from Bungie? This company develops some of the most insane hype trains, and if it can get other games caught in its wake, the money-making potential for smaller companies is astronomical.

It wouldn't make sense for Bungie to come out swinging and to not have something to show for it. The launch of Bungie Aerospace is imminent.

That would be so freakin' amazing if Bungie launched a competitor to Steam. And it would be interesting to see my two favorite developers compete with each other.

Tunavi

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Have I missed something, has swordbase been changed then? I must have missed a matchmaking update lol? Was this done when they added flagstraveganza
Yeah Jeremiah sneaked the sniper back into Sword Base in the June update

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
That would be so freakin' amazing if Bungie launched a competitor to Steam. And it would be interesting to see my two favorite developers compete with each other.
Now would be a bad time to do that with EA's Origin hitting.

Ramirez

Striker said:
Crummy weekly at least for credits earned. The amount you get with those 150 games, you can earn in just three games regularly.

Hoping for July's update for MM includes including some more maps. Removing Hemorrhage without attempting to alter nor give any substitute really pushes the limit of variety. Why isn't Kingdom in the playlist for 2-flag or 2-bomb? Why isn't the new maps that's from TS in Objective (Think Twice, Select, Rebirth, Precipice). Though I ran through Think Twice, looks garbo and filled with too many power weapons.

Dani told us last night that TO has the most guests in it per playlist, so you can pretty much forget about any forge maps due to framerate issues. Thanks splitscreeners!

Striker said:
Nothing more exhilarating than tossing a power drain and spraying my AR.

Would gladly welcome something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_QcRH_Fhjo

Man, I really miss smooth gunplay like this...

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm sitting here dumbfounded because I was literally about to post the exact same thing. I mentioned in a post earlier that Aerospace could be a platform, but I'm still not sure I see Bungie as a publisher... unless it was for really small indie games.

The steampunk talk made me think of Trenched, but that's being published by Microsoft.

When you say "Crimson" are you talking about Crimson Alliance by Certain Affinity or something else? Because Crimson Alliance is being published by Microsoft Studios...

I dunno, I still don't think Bungie Aerospace will turn out to be a Steam-like DD service. I'm hoping it's something much more revolutionary and exciting than that.

Shake Appeal said:
I'm going to go ahead and announce, on Bungie's behalf, that they are not launching a competitor to Steam.
Perhaps not a competitor to Steam, but a digital download publishing branch. Focus on a few titles and give them the Bungie treatment.

ncsuDuncan said:
When you say "Crimson" are you talking about Crimson Alliance by Certain Affinity or something else? Because Crimson Alliance is being published by Microsoft Studios...
I'm talking about this. Sorry about that. USPTO is lame. Here's the Trademarkia of "Crimson."

ElRenoRaven

Hitmonchan107 said:
We were told that we'd hear everything by month's end, so it's not going to be a game by Bungie. They denied that in the quotes above.

But what if it's not a major project by Bungie?

With Duke Nukem Forever, I found out that you could choose which platform you'd like to download the demo for. Before then, I assumed it was all handled through XBL and PSN. There's a way around the system.

My guess (to be proven wrong in two weeks): Steampunk could be a jab at "Steam," and Bungie Aerospace is Bungie's take on the digital download realm. The twist? Bungie will act as publisher for the titles, therefore making more money on the downloads. It won't be a new physical branch. The thing we might not have expected to get our hands on? My guess is the Bungie Aerospace application/webpage with a demo of "Crimson."

If "Crimson" is a game from an indie developer, it makes perfect sense to allow Bungie to wait until Bungie Day to reveal it. At E3, it would've been lost in the sea of sequels and AAA titles. Gaming sites already have 7/7 marked down on their calendars. For Bungie to come out and say, "We're going digital download. By the way, here's our first game to publish: 'Crimson,'" it would be the perfect opportunity for a smaller game to receive the same spotlight as a AAA title.

Can you imagine the marketing potential of a Steam service from Bungie? This company develops some of the most insane hype trains, and if it can get other games caught in its wake, the money-making potential for smaller companies is astronomical.

It wouldn't make sense for Bungie to come out swinging and to not have something to show for it. The launch of Bungie Aerospace is imminent.

Hmm. That's a very interesting Idea. It would be a logical expansion for Bungie. Bring the Bungie.net feeling to a steam like application right on your PC. They could even bring film rendering etc to it. I just doubt it though. With Steam, Origin, etc that area is starting to get a little crowded. I would without a doubt use it though. No doubt about that.

Thermite

Striker said:
Nothing more exhilarating than tossing a power drain and spraying my AR.

Would gladly welcome something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_QcRH_Fhjo

Oh how I long for classic Halo...

2dqvyvs.gif

Kuroyume

Banned
Reading speculation about Bungie's next game in this thread is so damn tiring. Have to scroll through posts full of nothing. Aerospace is the this and the that of the steampunk... Christ, shut up already.

Reading complaints about speculation in this thread is so damn tiring. Have to scroll through posts full of nothing. HaloGAF is the this and the that of the internet... Christ, shut up already.

Reading complaints about complaints in this thread is so damn tiring too. Sorry.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ncsuDuncan said:
Reading complaints about speculation in this thread is so damn tiring. Have to scroll through posts full of nothing. HaloGAF is the this and the that of the internet... Christ, shut up already.

I find your complaints about the complaints about speculation, to be somewhat speculative in nature. Since you don't know that the complainant's speculations are or are not correct, it seems a little early to be complaining about their complaints. At least wait to see if the speculation is grounded before assessing the veracity and worth of the speculative complaints.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Watching old beta clips makes me miss SvE game types. 343 or Bungie, please fix Invasion and create a smaller 4v4 playlist focused on SvE game types.

Ramirez

Kuroyume said:
Reading speculation about Bungie's next game in this thread is so damn tiring. Have to scroll through posts full of nothing. Aerospace is the this and the that of the steampunk... Christ, shut up already.

lmao

+1

LunaticPuma said:
Watching old beta clips makes me miss the beta. 343 or Bungie, please fix Invasion and create a smaller 4v4 playlist focused on SvE game types.

Fixed.

But yeah, back when they introduced Elites to multiplayer in Halo 2, I always thought Spartans vs. Elites in multiplayer would be cool.

To get of SvE gametypes would be pretty cool. Green vs. Purple please!

OuterWorldVoice said:
I find your complaints about the complaints about speculation, to be somewhat speculative in nature. Since you don't know that the complainant's speculations are or are not correct, it seems a little early to be complaining about their complaints. At least wait to see if the speculation is grounded before assessing the veracity and worth of the speculative complaints.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

In conclusion, the Halo 4 teaser has done irreparable harm to Halo canon by not completely explaining what is going on and why some things look different. It just sort of teases us... er, wait that's an argument for HBO. (Poor Wu, it looks like today has been a neverending battle for sanity over there.)

Top Bottom