• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Ramirez said:
Elites were so OP in the beta, you guys and your rose tinted glasses.

It was certainly closer than it is now. The Elites are so outrageously outclassed now.

Not that the Elites weren't better than the Spartans in the beta, but a lot of people did not play a SvE gametype very smartly. The spartans were weaker, but they also had the hitscan weapons with greater range, yet most people still charged in like they were Rambo and then blamed the game.

Ramirez

Steelyuhas said:
It was certainly closer than it is now. The Elites are so outrageously outclassed now.

Not that the Elites weren't better than the Spartans in the beta, but a lot of people did not play a SvE gametype very smartly. The spartans were weaker, but they also had the hitscan weapons with greater range, yet most people still charged in like they were Rambo and then blamed the game.

Elites had shields that recharged in like literally 1 second, and what was to stop an Elite from picking up a DMR/Pistol/NR? Cool in theory, executed terribly, they even admitted that it wasn't balanced when they released it into the wild, lol.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Ramirez said:
Elites were so OP in the beta, you guys and your rose tinted glasses.

I'm not asking for them to be restored to their Beta supremacy. I just want some 4 v 4 games that utilize the SvE dynamic which is very fitting with Reach and the whole planet being invaded. Also, Elite supremacy can be balanced by using 1 sided game types or 2 rounds with switching between species or maybe even weapon/loadout balancing. Since Reach is a sub-optimal competitive experience with bloom etc., can we at least make it a fun experience with creative and entertaining game types?

Also Flagstravaganza isn't much fun. Bring back Team Flag from Halo 3.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ncsuDuncan said:
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

In conclusion, the Halo 4 teaser has done irreparable harm to Halo canon by not completely explaining what is going on and why some things look different. It just sort of teases us... er, wait that's an argument for HBO. (Poor Wu, it looks like today has been a neverending battle for sanity over there.)

Wu can handle it!

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
Ok this thread really took a turn for the mind breaking in the last half a page.
This is but a taste of the terror that will be unleashed, as we're early in the cycle yet. The teasing is on multiple fronts: Bungie teasing about future stuff, 343i teasing about Halo 4 and the Halo reissue. We're used to getting balls dangled about for just one thing at a time, not three. (The brief ODST/Reach overlap aside.)

As time goes on, I expect more and more minds to be splintered. Chaos will reign. It will be hilarious and wonderful.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Please no more bar filling. It's worse than the low health beep in ODST. How did that not get fixed/patched, seriously?

I also thought of what the Black Eye skull should have been in ODST - 50% slower stamina regeneration (whatever they called the shield equivalent). That would have made the buggers at least a bit more tolerable.

GhaleonEB said:
This is but a taste of the terror that will be unleashed, as we're early in the cycle yet. The teasing is on multiple fronts: Bungie teasing about future stuff, 343i teasing about Halo 4 and the Halo reissue. We're used to getting balls dangled about for just one thing at a time, not three. (The briefODST/Reach overlap aside.)

As time goes on, I expect more and more minds to be splintered. Chaos will reign. It will be hilarious and wonderful.

My tin foil hat is ready.

urk said:
We're not making a Steampunk game. :)
MNMb7.gif

ncsuDuncan said:
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

In conclusion, the Halo 4 teaser has done irreparable harm to Halo canon by not completely explaining what is going on and why some things look different. It just sort of teases us... er, wait that's an argument for HBO. (Poor Wu, it looks like today has been a neverending battle for sanity over there.)
HBO has always been a neverending battle for sanity. It's like an internet version of Game of Thrones.

A27_StarWolf said:
What do you mean never ending battle for sanity..? o_O
Stuff about Kanbo's mom, what Hyokin is hiding under his helmet, and what kind of Australian animal Hedge is going to devour next.

Oh, and there's Snipe and his never-ending crusade to rid the world of randoms. We seem like a calm, friendly community on the outside, but once you're in... There's no turning back. When you play the game of HBO, you go insane, or you die.

:lol

Tunavi

Banned
So we are getting Damnation and Battle Creek.
What four other maps do you think we'll get realistically?

Edit: yeah I forgot about Hang em High. That map is simple enough for a Forge remake, darn.
3 more then.

Sibylus

Banned
"Steampunk DD" would be highly improbable, given that it'd be competing with Steam (Valve), Impulse (Gamestop), Origin (EA), Good Old Games (CD Projekt), and Games for Windows Live (Microsoft). There's really no niche they could possibly fill with their own service, and they'd be quite far behind to run on quality and robustness.

Tunavi said:
-Hang 'em High for sure
-Timberland? looks similar to the tease we got

I'm really hoping for some BTB maps from Halo 2. Waterworks would be nice and Terminal is really a must-have IMO.

Are we sure that's Hang em High and not Tombstone?

trollface.jpg

Dax01 said:
It's kind of like the Duncan principle from Community, except some people are expected to outlast the experiment.

If I wasn't a big fan of Community I would be very confused by your statement.

GhaleonEB said:
This is but a taste of the terror that will be unleashed, as we're early in the cycle yet. The teasing is on multiple fronts: Bungie teasing about future stuff, 343i teasing about Halo 4 and the Halo reissue. We're used to getting balls dangled about for just one thing at a time, not three. (The brief ODST/Reach overlap aside.)

It's kind of like the Duncan principle from Community, except some people are expected to outlast the experiment.

GhaleonEB

Random semi-organized thought:

I remember when the first map pack was announced, I had this sinking feeling that we'd only see maps as Reach's DLC, rather than new game types. But we did get those, for free, as part of the playlist updates.

With the Flagstravaganza and Action Sack playlists, we got Neutral Flag, Three Flag, CTF Slayer, Speedflag, Speedpile, Power Slayer, Hockey and Hog Potato. (Also, Chess, but not in Matchmaking.)

It's quite the pack of new game types Jeremiah has rolled out; it didn't occur to me just how many there were until I looked back and added them all up. On balance, I'd rather have seen these in the shipping game rather than Headhunter or Stockpile (Speedpile plays just like Speedflag, but with more flags.) I like some more than others, but on the whole it's a hefty chunk of new stuff in the mix.

Thing is, most of them could be built off the base CTF game type if the right settings are included. I hope 343 goes that route to consolodate the core game types for Halo 4, by adding in more flexibility in how the objectives are set up rather than building out fixed new game types. All the flag games could be built from custom game settings if they are expanded with new options: How many flags spawn, if they belong to a team or not, how many points they are worth, how they are carried and scored, etc.

I also hope 343 builds a way in-game to communicate the rules for a game type in the matchmaking and custom game UI. A lot of players clearly don't understand how to play the new game types, especially right after they are rolled out. It's one of the biggest oversights in Reach's matchmaking system, and it's especially odd since there's plenty of space in the UI for it.

You forgot the most important gametype ever: BOOM! Ball.

Edit: Wait. Oh. You're talking about gametypes where Bungie changed some things about the things. I get it.

GhaleonEB said:
Random semi-organized thought:

I remember when the first map pack was announced, I had this sinking feeling that we'd only see maps as Reach's DLC, rather than new game types. But we did get those, for free, as part of the playlist updates.

With the Flagstravaganza and Action Sack playlists, we got Neutral Flag, Three Flag, CTF Slayer, Speedflag, Speedpile, Power Slayer, Hockey and Haloball.

It's quite the pack of new game types Jeremiah has rolled out; it didn't occur to me just how many there were until I looked back and added them all up. On balance, I'd rather have seen these in the shipping game rather than Headhunter or Stockpile (Speedpile plays just like Speedflag, but with more flags.) I like some more than others, but on the whole it's a hefty chunk of new stuff in the mix.

Thing is, most of them could be built off the base CTF game type if the right settings are included. I hope 343 goes that route to consolodate the core game types for Halo 4, by adding in more flexibility in how the objectives are set up rather than building out fixed new game types. All the flag games could be built from custom game settings if they are expanded with new options: How many flags spawn, if they belong to a team or not, how many points they are worth, how they are carried and scored, etc.

I also hope 343 builds a way in-game to communicate the rules for a game type in the matchmaking and custom game UI. A lot of players clearly don't understand how to play the new game types, especially right after they are rolled out. It's one of the biggest oversights in Reach's matchmaking system, and it's especially odd since there's plenty of space in the UI for it.

You forgot Chess. :p (or were you sticking to matchmaking gametypes?)

I think it would be nice if you could press Back to see the scoreboard and a small text box at the bottom gives you a description of the gametype. That would be great for crazy new stuff like Speedflag, but it would also be nice to see things like "Score to win", "Flag must be at home", "Touch return", etc.

I was playing a game of Speedflag with some RL friends yesterday and one of them didn't realize you could use Armor Abilities while carrying the flag until halfway through the match. He just assumed you could only shoot while carrying.

Unrelated: I still hate Evade in Speedflag. Especially on Kingdom or Enclosed. Awful, awful, awful.

EDIT: (also unrelated) What the hell is this? *facepalm*

ElRenoRaven

Tunavi said:

Edit: yeah I forgot about Hang em High. That map is simple enough for a Forge remake, darn.
3 more then.

I'd kill for a proper prisoner remake. There is a good forge one out there but it's not the same when it's all grey all the time.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
You forgot the most important gametype ever: BOOM! Ball.
That's just Hot Potato, but with Grenade Launchers. I did forget Chess and Hog Potato, though (the latter of which is hilarious, and which I need to download).
ncsuDuncan said:
I was playing a game of Speedflag with some RL friends yesterday and one of them didn't realize you could use Armor Abilities while carrying the flag until halfway through the match. He just assumed you could only shoot while carrying.

Unrelated: I still hate Evade in Speedflag. Especially on Kingdom or Enclosed. Awful, awful, awful.
Yeah, I had the same experience last night in the flag playlist, I had to tell my team to start using AA's with the flag. They were just walking with it, assuming they couldn't sprint/evade.

And evade really is a problem in Speedflag.

I love the flag playlist, and I've concluded much of the reason why is the lack of armor abilities. No jet pack, no armor lock, no drop shield. Toss evade out of Speedflag and it would be perfect.

Tunavi

Banned
Jeremiah said:
Calling all BIG TEAM BATTLE experts!

The BTB ALL STARS playlist will be available for a limited time starting on 6/24/2011. This playlist will feature Triple Jackpots and players who compete in this playlist will be rewarded with a Star nameplate in-game.

To qualify for entry into the BTB ALL STARS playlist, you must play at least 5 games in the INVASION playlist between 6/13/2011 and 6/20/2011.
BTB all-stars! Lets get a GAF team to try and qualify. Not sure how this works though.

Edit: Just play 5 games of invasion this week and you qualify. This is very interesting.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=61571846

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
BTB all-stars! Lets get a GAF team to try and qualify. Not sure how this works though.
It's an odd idea - a playlist that throttles who can participate. Generally the idea is, the more people participating the better so as to facilitate better machmaking. And it's weird to wall off access to BTB by way of Invasion - wouldn't BTB be a better gateway?

Regardless, my daughter wants the star name plate, so I'll roll through Invasion with her this week to get access.

Here's the link: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=61571846

Tunavi said:

Edit: Just play 5 games of invasion this week and you qualify. This is very interesting.

Hmm, im really worried that I will play my 5 games and still not get access to the playlist. Either way im certainly going to be playing Reach again this week then lol!

Is this going to be frontpaged on Bnet? If not there will barely be enough players to sustain 2 BTB teams :p

Tunavi said:

Chris: I was literally about to post that.

Hopping on now!

Wait so everyone that plays in BTB All-stars gets a Star nameplate? Wow.

Sounds like it's really going to devalue the star. I actually kind of liked how rare they were (don't have one myself... yet). At least when they opened the Road to Recon it was still somewhat difficult to get, you couldn't just play ~5 games.

I'd like there to be two exclusive nameplates:
- One like the star given out for winning contests and such (like Urk's screenshot stuff and this BTB playlist).
- A second, slightly different one that is given out only to people like the Community Cartographers that have contributed something to the game.

I just like being able to see the star nameplate and wondering how that person affected matchmaking.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I find your complaints about the complaints about speculation, to be somewhat speculative in nature. Since you don't know that the complainant's speculations are or are not correct, it seems a little early to be complaining about their complaints. At least wait to see if the speculation is grounded before assessing the veracity and worth of the speculative complaints.
XZibit.png

ElRenoRaven

Wow. So anyone that plays in the playlist gets the star. I'm torn on that. I've not gotten a star mind you. However that kind of devalues the Star nameplate doesn't it?

PsychoRaven said:
Wow. So anyone that plays in the playlist gets the star. I'm torn on that. I've not gotten a star mind you. However that kind of devalues the Star nameplate doesn't it?

Yeah, but I'm still not about to turn down the opportunity to get a star.

ElRenoRaven

WTF?!?!?!

I just got match made into an invasion game with one other person and we're on the same team. OH wait on end credits screen it shows that there were two whole teams but everyone quit but us two? WTF?!?!?!

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah, but I'm still not about to turn down the opportunity to get a star.

Oh same here as proven by my post here.

feel

They devaluated Recon, they devaluated the HALO nameplate slightly, and now they're devaluating the Star for those who actually did something to deserve it... that Bungie!!

Hey You

PsychoRaven said:
Eh, Bungie probably doesn't really care since they are handing over Reach soon to 343.

Its just a nameplate. I'll play the playlist just to get the nameplate (and triple jackpots), but I'm going to stick to my DMR nameplate.

I wonder what the DMR nameplate will be used for once Bungie Pro is gone.

Letters said:
They devaluated Recon, they devaluated the HALO nameplate slightly, and now they're devaluating the Star for those who actually did something to deserve it... that Bungie!!
Just like the recon helmet in halo 3.
Hey You said:
I wonder what the DMR nameplate will be used for once Bungie Pro is gone.
343 Pro?

I wonder how they track it, and why they they are going out of there way to limit the number of people for this BTB playlist. Invasion will probably get a population boost though.

GhaleonEB

Kibbles said:
This is the first I've heard about this star nameplate. How did you get it before?
1) Get a map into matchmaking
2) Via the Bungie All Starts contests that Urk has been running in the weekly updates
3) Be a Community Cartographer

Probably a couple hundred of them out there right now, tops.

I figured there would be a way for the masses to get access to it eventually. As one of the few to have one (via the CC's), I see no problem with it. Certainly nothing to get in an uproar about (as some on b.net are). It's a weird way to hand them out, but hey. I'm sure there will be more ways in the future, probably via multiple All Stars playlists.

Kibbles said:
This is the first I've heard about this star nameplate. How did you get it before?
Awesomeness in some form or another. The community cartographers got one for their hard work and every week a few were handed out to lazy slobs that made something Urk thought was pretty kewl.

Top Bottom