• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Kujo

GhaleonEB said:
Don't shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obm_80lRzMw

Kidding. Shoot. Hug the corners, work from the outside in. Snag the camo near the final wave.
I always seem to screw up near the end, and my soldiers never last longer than a minute, that video makes it look too easy lol.

Does it get easier than this later on? I've never played Halo 1 on higher than Normal, Reach Legendary seems like a walk in the park compared to this. I hate the damn AR

Booshka

Mojo said:
I always seem to screw up near the end, and my soldiers never last longer than a minute, that video makes it look too easy lol.

Does it get easier than this later on? I've never played Halo 1 on higher than Normal, Reach Legendary seems like a walk in the park compared to this. I hate the damn AR
Use plasma weapons, drop the stupid AR

ElRenoRaven

Mojo said:

Yes it does. Occasionally you'll have an encounter like that which drives you nuts but for the most part the game is tough but fair. The second game was on a whole other level on legendary though. It was on a level I like to call TOTAL BULLSHIT. Only game in the series I haven't beaten on Legendary. After that the series got easier on Legendary. A bit below the difficulty of Halo 1.

Kujo

Maybe I'm just not used to playing Halo with a keyboard/mouse (playing PC version). Tried the 360 pad but that also seemed a bit off

Booshka

Mojo said:
Maybe I'm just not used to playing Halo with a keyboard/mouse (playing PC version). Tried the 360 pad but that also seemed a bit off
oh, ya that is probably why. Even if you plug in the controller you arent going to get any aim assist, so it wont feel right.

ElRenoRaven

Booshka said:
oh, ya that is probably why. Even if you plug in the controller you arent going to get any aim assist, so it wont feel right.

Yup. The PC version has no real support for controllers like setting Deadzones, enabling any assists, etc. With the 360 you get no aim assist and you'll find the deadzone is a bit wonky hence your guy probably constantly tries to move a direction without any input. I've only done Legendary on the console. PC wise I stick to normal for the very reason I play with a 360 controller and have to fight with it like that.

wwm0nkey

Halo CE on the PC needs to be played with a KB+M
Halo 2 Vista needs to be played with a Controller

Sucks we cant get 1 Halo game that works with both on the PC :(

Kujo

Ah so that's what it is, I felt there was something weird about using the controller.

I'd love if Halo CEA/4 came to the PC so I can do full AA/AF/1080p, not gonna happen though

GloveSlap

I have heard a lot of talk about how having an all around precision gun makes the game boring but the reality is this.... Halo 2 would have me sweating while playing because it was so intense and exciting. It happened less often in Halo 3. It doesn't happen at all in Reach, the game is more likely to give me a headache. I could go into detailed reasons why i think this is but I just think the gunplay, movement, and offense/defense strategies of the game have been significantly dumbed down vs. the previous Halo games.

There seems to be two types of Halo players:

One type thinks that your first weapon slot should be taken by an all around precision weapon that can be good in most situations if used skillfully. The type of weapon you feel naked without. The second weapon slot is where you put your wild card/specialty weapon.

Then you have players that think you should be carrying 2 specialty weapons and that the game should be built upon some kind of elaborate rock-paper-scissors system.

I am firmly in the first camp.

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
Halo CE on the PC needs to be played with a KB+M
Halo 2 Vista needs to be played with a Controller

Sucks we cant get 1 Halo game that works with both on the PC :(

To be honest that's why I wish Microsoft would do a proper port job of all the games in a package. Microsoft loves to say they are all for PC gaming yet they haven't had a proper port done of any of the games. PC Halo 1 comes close but 2 was just so badly done. They love to say oh we're all behind PC gaming yet they leave their biggest franchise off the PC or bring them with very awful ports.

I know Frankie and the 343 guys are reading so I'd like to say this right now. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE at least bring the other games to the pc. I'm begging you. I know a redo on Halo and Halo 2 isn't realistic but for the love of god bring Halo 3 at least. I prefer both it and ODST but I'd settle for Halo 3. After that you can come up with a plan to bring the new trilogy. I firmly believe that if the franchise was properly supported on the PC it would only be more successful and for sure wouldn't hurt GFWL. If anything it might help it's cause.

It might win some support back after the way Halo 2 turned a lot away.

Booties

Banned
GloveSlap said:
I have heard a lot of talk about how having an all around precision gun makes the game boring but the reality is this.... Halo 2 would have me sweating while playing because it was so intense and exciting. It happened less often in Halo 3. It doesn't happen at all in Reach, the game is more likely to give me a headache. I could go into detailed reasons why i think this is but I just think the gunplay, movement, and offense/defense strategies of the game have been significantly dumbed down vs. the previous Halo games.

There seems to be two types of Halo players:

One type thinks that your first weapon slot should be taken by an all around precision weapon that can be good in most situations if used skillfully. The type of weapon you feel naked without. The second weapon slot is where you put your wild card/specialty weapon.

Then you have players that think you should be carrying 2 specialty weapons and that the game should be built upon some kind of elaborate rock-paper-scissors system.

I am firmly in the first camp.

Yeah, except the secondary is always a PP and the primary is always a BR. Headshot scrubs, noob combo elites, shit on hunters, nade everything else.
cry against H2 snipers and buggers

H2 was stupid buggy. I wouldn't be able to kill the heretic half the time on legendary even if I got him stuck in a corner and stickied the hell out of the real version of him. It was also impossible sometimes because his clones are cheap as hell on legendary. Sometimes I couldn't kill the prophet (regret?, I think so b/c that's the one sgt johnson trolls in the second level) because he just would eat damage and not die and his gold elites would infinitely spawn until I drained my BR.

Tunavi said:
did you refuse to use vehicles or something?

Nope I used them. AR/MAG starts and 5 different objectives for 4v4 on a map that size is one of the most unenjoyable experiences I've had with matchmaking in Reach.

Tunavi

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
Nope I used them. AR/MAG starts and 5 different objectives for 4v4 on a map that size is one of the most unenjoyable experiences I've had with matchmaking in Reach.
damn shame, I loved warthog domination and splatters with the ghost. Sure it wasn't competitive but it was fun with vehicles every time I played it.

Booshka

Booties said:
Yeah, except the secondary is always a PP and the primary is always a BR. Headshot scrubs, noob combo elites, shit on hunters, nade everything else.
cry against H2 snipers and buggers

H2 was stupid buggy. I wouldn't be able to kill the heretic half the time on legendary even if I got him stuck in a corner and stickied the hell out of the real version of him. It was also impossible sometimes because his clones are cheap as hell on legendary. Sometimes I couldn't kill the prophet (regret?, I think so b/c that's the one sgt johnson trolls in the second level) because he just would eat damage and not die and his gold elites would infinitely spawn until I drained my BR.
H2 on Legendary was probably the worst Halo experience I have ever had, that game was so fucking cheap and frustrating on Legendary. Somehow I beat the whole game on Legendary, but it was torturous most of the time.

I have played Halo CE Campaign so many times that Legendary is the definitive difficulty to play on for me, very fun and challenging, but never ridiculously cheap.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Booshka said:
H2 on Legendary was probably the worst Halo experience I have ever had, that game was so fucking cheap and frustrating on Legendary. Somehow I beat the whole game on Legendary, but it was torturous most of the time.
Ugh, Jackal snipers, sponge Flood, sponge Brutes, useless shotty, so not fun.

Booshka said:

I have played Halo CE Campaign so many times that Legendary is the definitive difficulty to play on for me, very fun and challenging, but never ridiculously cheap.

The game was difficult but very doable for the most part. However my abiding memory of Halo 2 leg campaign is this section

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO_Yqaa44a4&feature=player_detailpage#t=202s

After this nothing would seem difficult again.

thee henery said:
The game was difficult but very doable for the most part. However my abiding memory of Halo 2 leg campaign is this section

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO_Yqaa44a4&feature=player_detailpage#t=202s

After this nothing would seem difficult again.
:lol

I knew exactly what clip that would be before I even clicked it.

Yeah, Halo 2 on Legendary was fucking retarded. I doubt I'll ever subject myself to it again. It's too bad though, Heroic is far too easy.

If Halo 2 gets the Anniversary treatment then it needs more than just a reskin.

Striker

Plywood said:
Ugh, Jackal snipers, sponge Flood, sponge Brutes, useless shotty, so not fun.
I didn't mind the Snipers. They added something challenging to the enemy waves and not your typical Grunt or Jackals. If they wanted to weaken them a bit, they should've just kept a light like they added for Halo 3, but instead they went that way and removing them having the Beam altogether. Basically making them meaningless. Brutes have been bullet sponges the entire Halo series. Never were fun to play. Flood were only not annoying in Halo 1 - probably because they weren't so expanded in forms, and the H1 Shotgun plus Flood was actually entertaining. Shotgun worked in campaign. Not so much online because of latency and its spread.

The biggest removal they did was the Arbiter stuff. The only in-depth character and he turns into sidekick joe in Halo 3. smh

GhaleonEB said:
Disagree on all points. :p

The AR is one of the things Reach gets about right when it comes to multiplayer combat. I find the entire argument against the AR in concept to be a mix of absurd and hilarious.
How so? I don't mind that you feel differently about the AR, but I don't see how the argument against it is "absurd and hilarious." Everything I said has at least a little validity to it. Perhaps if bloom didn't exist and a few of the precision weapons were re-tuned, I would be okay with the AR's current state in Reach. It might be that you enjoy playing on the larger maps, where distance handicaps the usefulness of the AR. I was and still am so sick of vehicles in Halo matchmaking that I rarely ventured into BTB and Invasion. But on small to mid-range maps where I spent the majority of my time, my opinion of the AR is that it's too powerful and its range is too great, considering how simple it is to use. The assault rifle is the one weapon in Reach that feels like it should be in the CoD series and not Halo. But I know that's my own opinion.

Cairo Station first level in H2? That shit was EASY on legendary compared to the later levels.

I feel like they didn't playtest the later levels on legendary because it bordered on insane.

Wizman23

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Cairo Station first level in H2? That shit was EASY on legendary compared to the later levels.

I feel like they didn't playtest the later levels on legendary because it bordered on insane.

No way. The rest of the game is a cakewalk compared to the first level. Hanger 2 says hi.

Falt

Zeouterlimits said:
Fucking Hanger 2.

Nothing in the entire series even comes close. I thought my (original) legendary run had come to an early end after an hour of being stuck there. Fucking Hanger 2, is right.

GhaleonEB

Falt said:
Nothing in the entire series even comes close. I thought my (original) legendary run had come to an early end after an hour of being stuck there. Fucking Hanger 2, is right.
I spent days - plural - in Hanger 2. The stuff of nightmares.

I really hope 343 gives the Challenges a kick in the nuts when they take things over. Kill 1 enemy with an energy sword in Firefight for 1,000 cR? Seriously?

Sigh.

I closed my old Youtube account but I linked awhile back my no death run through Cairo legendary, took about 35 minutes.

All about Plasma Pistol and headshots.

GhaleonEB said:
Disagree on all points. :p

The AR is one of the things Reach gets about right when it comes to multiplayer combat. I find the entire argument against the AR in concept to be a mix of absurd and hilarious.

This...

I don't understand all the hate against it. Honestly most of it comes of as, "I got killed by an AR and I had a DMR, so the AR shouldn't be in the game"

So much Blame Game.

GhaleonEB

I like Firefight. I hate every human being I play with in Firefight. Jerks and morons, the lot of them. Even in Doubles, I've never once had a good partner. If Score Attack were half decent, I wouldn't touch matchmaking ever again. (Which might be one reason Score Attack is kept the way it is.)
squidhands said:
I was referring to matchmaking.

GhaleonEB said:
I like Firefight. I hate every human being I play with in Firefight. Jerks and morons, the lot of them. Even in Doubles, I've never once had a good partner. If Score Attack were half decent, I wouldn't touch matchmaking ever again. (Which might be one reason Score Attack is kept the way it is.)
:-(

our time zones need to be closer.

feel

GhaleonEB said:

I really hope 343 gives the Challenges a kick in the nuts when they take things over. Kill 1 enemy with an energy sword in Firefight for 1,000 cR? Seriously?

Sigh.
And I'm also hoping for some new stuff to actually spend those credits on. I'm just a general and I have almost 2 million credits and nothing interesting in sight to spend them on

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
GhaleonEB said:

We should play together sometime when my friends aren't online since they want to do matchmaking. I greatly enjoy limited FF.

FyreWulff

squidhands said:
I totally gave up on H2 Legendary after spending so much time in Hangar 2. At least I know I'm not alone in hating it...

I can't make it out of the first room on Gravemind on Legendary. Sometimes I die before the cinematic bars even disappear.

Kunohara

GhaleonEB said:

It really seems like all the good players are left in the game. Or maybe I just suck. Most slayer games are DMR's, and I just get raped hard. I tried out Premium Slayer cause I wanted to try out the new maps, but nope. DMR's again, and it was 75-35 or something, with me being in 2nd.

I do play more of FF cause just going up against the AI is very fun to me, and trying to beat my friends scores is good enough. I am really glad you still get credits for FF.

I played my 5 Invasion games. I guess I was pretty lucky with them. Only lost once badly. Others were either close, or the other team just dropped after one round.

ElRenoRaven

Striker said:
The biggest removal they did was the Arbiter stuff. The only in-depth character and he turns into sidekick joe in Halo 3. smh

Yea. I have always felt that instead of trying to shove the arbiter into Halo 2 and later as a side character in Halo 3, they should have made a spin off game with the Arbiter. They could have made an entire spin off a lot like they did ODST and had it focus on the arbiter post Halo through Halo 2 until they link up with Chief at the start of Halo 3. This would have let the main game focus on Chief and the spin off on Arbiter giving us more story for both. You could have even had cool little moment's in the Arbiter game where it intersects with Halo 2 and you see an event or level from the Arbiters point of view. These same moment's would have been in Halo 2 and it would have tied both games together. Then Halo 3 wouldn't have seemed like it was throwing Arbiter to the side because he would have had his moment in the sun.

GhaleonEB said:

Only days? I spent 6 months if not more. I lost track. Hell I've been stuck at the first High Charity mission for a good 10 months too now. I almost get to the end of the waves after the Prophets descend from the main chamber but those damn brutes get me time and time again. They have pin point accuracy and of course 1 or 2 shots you're dead. They however can take 50 shots and still be standing. It's bullshit I tell you. Total bullshit. Another bullshit moment was the drones in that one Halo level. You get to a trigger point and bam they're all over you while you have no place to hide. Bungie really should have gone back and patched the legendary campaigns difficulty in one of the title updates they did.

Kunohara

PsychoRaven said:
Yea. I have always felt that instead of trying to shove the arbiter into Halo 2 and later as a side character in Halo 3, they should have made a spin off game with the Arbiter. They could have made an entire spin off a lot like they did ODST and had it focus on the arbiter post Halo through Halo 2 until they link up with Chief at the start of Halo 3. This would have let the main game focus on Chief and the spin off on Arbiter giving us more story for both. You could have even had cool little moment's in the Arbiter game where it intersects with Halo 2 and you see an event or level from the Arbiters point of view. These same moment's would have been in Halo 2 and it would have tied both games together. Then Halo 3 wouldn't have seemed like it was throwing Arbiter to the side because he would have had his moment in the sun.

I would love to play on the side of the Covenant, and see their side of the story. The Arbiter was a neat character, but it really is too bad how they wrote him off like that in 3.

Oozer3993

Steelyuhas said:
I never beat Cairo Station on solo legendary. I beat most of the other missions in the game on legendary, but never the first one lol.

Cairo Station is the only level I've beaten in 2 on Legendary. Hanger 2 is doable if you really take your time and lure one Elite out at a time.

I nearly completed Halo 2 on legendary, was it not for that stupid Tartarus. I think I nearly spent an hour with him in that room without killing him. After around 10 minutes, new brutes arive which didn't help either. I think in that playtrough, around 100 elites lost their lives while storming tartarus.

feel

FyreWulff said:
Apparently my registration was stuck in Hangar 2?
Did you just get accepted or it's been a while and you didn't realize till now? Your profile says you applied for membership one year and a half ago. 18 months is a long wait.

VVV I said wow, welcome!!

FyreWulff

Letters said:
Did you just get accepted or it's been a while and you didn't realize till now? Your profile says you applied for membership one year and a half ago. 18 months is a long wait.

Just got accepted today. I've registered even before that but got deleted in the approval waves.

My first registration attempt was sometime in early 2007.

Here's the ones that are still sitting in my inbox:

http://i.imgur.com/AUiEk.png

Top Bottom