• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tawpgun

All this H2 legendary talk makes me want to go replay it on legendary. I beat it solo before and I never remember it being near impossible like you guys are.

feel

My friend leonfaria just got accepted too, new wave of halogaffers confirmed! (have we even started liking the last bunch?)

New guys, welcome!!! Be clear on if you like reticule bloom and armor abilities in your introductory post.

leonfaria04

Neo Member
Letters said:
My friend leonfaria just got accepted too, new wave of halogaffers confirmed! (have we even started liking the last bunch?)

New guys, welcome!!! Be clear on if you like reticule bloom and armor abilities in your introductory post.

Im here homie... LOL

I dont like A/A or reticule...

Wh0 N0se

Letters said:

Hello!! Don't really like bloom and Armor abilities are ok to a point, Armor Lock and Sprint/Melee get abused far too often but I do enjoy using them. EDIT: I mean using the AA's, not Sprint/melee / AL!

I would, however, prefer to have equipment in Halo 4 rather than AA's.

Kunohara

I've gotten far to used to sprint now. I can't imagine not playing with it. This is why I will probably never play 3 again. It will seem to slow for me.

Keep AA's in 4, but just tune them.

Kunohara said:
I've gotten far to used to sprint now. I can't imagine not playing with it. This is why I will probably never play 3 again. It will seem to slow for me.

I don't see how any amount of tuning could make AAs work in a Halo game.

Kunohara

Dax01 said:

I don't either. That's why I don't make games, just play them.

I just like sprint and jetpack (although please get rid of the 1-2 second startup of the jetpack. When I hit the button, I want to be in the air quicker).

All the rest can go. Armour lock for obvious reasons, people aren't tricked by hologram. Cloak breaks sniping, and having your radar scrambled kinda sucks.

Letters said:
Did you just get accepted or it's been a while and you didn't realize till now? Your profile says you applied for membership one year and a half ago. 18 months is a long wait.
That's what happened to me. I apparently signed up in December 2009, got accepted a short while after that, but only started posting in September/October 2010 or something. :lol

I don't like jetpack for aforementioned reasons, and I don't like sprint either because that just encourages designers to make the base player speed really slow. A sprint functionality isn't something I associate with a Halo game.

Kunohara said:

I just like sprint and jetpack (although please get rid of the 1-2 second startup of the jetpack. When I hit the button, I want to be in the air quicker).

All the rest can go. Armour lock for obvious reasons, people aren't tricked by hologram. Cloak breaks sniping, and having your radar scrambled kinda sucks.
So not true. It's probably my favorite thing to do in matchmaking, and people fall for it quite often.

Wh0 N0se

Kunohara said:

I would get rid of AA's, make Sprint either a default move or have the movement speeds permanently up.

Hologram, Invis and Overshield as pick ups like Halo 3.

Off topic: Could someone tell me where they get their Avatars from, I am totally useless at doing something like this! Thanks.

Fathead

I get people all the time with hologram. Send it around a blind corner, watch 4 or 5 shots go off, then head in while they are reloading.

I think it'd be cool if AAs in 4 could work similar to weapons in Metroid Prime: Hunters. There are AAs actually on the map everywhere, and you just start off with either none or Sprint. You can pick up all of them if you want, but they'll still respawn. To change which AA you actually use, you hit up on the D-Pad. This activates a small part of your HUD otherwise hidden at the very bottom, which shows up to seven icons at any given time. You use left/right on the D-Pad to cycle through which AA you want (it just shows the icon), and then hit down on the D-Pad to close the menu. If you want to actually switch your AA, turn to the AA you want and hit up again. This action could be done during actual movement such as jumping or reloading, but would naturally inhibit some movements like zooming in or switching weapons.

Wh0 N0se said:
I would get rid of AA's, make Sprint either a default move or have the movement speeds permanently up.

Hologram, Invis and Overshield as pick ups like Halo 3.

Off topic: Could someone tell me where they get their Avatars from, I am totally useless at doing something like this! Thanks.
Go to your User CP, and on the left side of the screen there should be an option listed that says "Edit Avatar." Click it. Upload your avatar to NeoGAF. GAF hosts all avatars now.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I'm surprised so many people have had so much trouble with the Halo games on Legendary. Yes, Halo 2 Cairo Station is the hardest Legendary level of any of them. Once you get past that though, it's just the annoying jackal snipers that slow you down. Also, the cargo bay in Truth & Reconciliation is kind of a nice prelude to Firefight.

leonfaria04

Neo Member
I just dont like the jetpack in Arena, and hope 343 give us a decent ranked playlist... with very good playlists and more community maps this game could be a real Halo game.

Wh0 N0se

Dax01 said:
Go to your User CP, and on the left side of the screen there should be an option listed that says "Edit Avatar." Click it. Upload your avatar to NeoGAF. GAF hosts all avatars now.

I understand that, I read the faqs!! :p But what I mean is where they get them from, because I've tried putting some on with the correct pixel sizes etc but it doesn't accept it.

With regards to Hologram, I've seen plenty of people run after it shooting, you'd think they'd check their radars by now!

Kunohara

Wow, maybe I just suck at placing holograms, or using them. I just can never seem to get people with it. In the beginning when the game first came out, people fell for it really easily.

I don't think the designers made the base game slow because of sprint being there. Not everyone will use it, so they can't base the game around that. At least in my opinion.

Having some AA's as pickups like in 4 could be a cool middle ground. But then you have the guys that time exactly when shit respawns, and everyone rushing for them like power weapons. I don't like that type of game play. Again, let the people who know what they are doing to figure this shit out for us :)

Kunohara said:
I don't think the designers made the base game slow because of sprint being there. Not everyone will use it, so they can't base the game around that. At least in my opinion.
The base player speed in Reach is close to, if not slower, than the base player speed in ODST. I'm thinking that has a lot to do with sprint's presence in the game.

Edit:
Wh0 N0se said:
I understand that, I read the faqs!! :p But what I mean is where they get them from, because I've tried putting some on with the correct pixel sizes etc but it doesn't accept it.
GAF automatically resizes avatars. But if you're worried about it being stretched (etc), you can go to this thread.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
I'd like to see everything go back to being pick ups, outside of specialized game types. With pick ups you can have a mix of instant effects, one time uses and longer lasting abilities. Grab camo, turn invisible. Grab Drop Shield, you can use it once. Grab Jet Pack, you've got a certain amount of juice. Sprinkled around lightly, as with the better the better Halo 3 maps, they can work fine. (Except Armor Lock. It can die.)

I think having Armor Abilities replace one-time use items and power ups was a mistake. If they had the option of limiting how often they could be used - from once to unlimited - Reach could be tuned much better.

Dax01 said:
The base player speed in Reach is close to, if not slower, than the base player speed in ODST. I'm thinking that has a lot to do with sprint's presence in the game.
It's faster than ODST, and jump height higher. In Beta, it was very close to ODST. I think this was done to make Sprint more effective. I think at this point there's ample reason to restore Halo 2/3 movement speed and jump height. Not to mention getting rid of the intertia you have when strafing so we're agile once again.

Wh0 N0se

Kunohara said:
Wow, maybe I just suck at placing holograms, or using them. I just can never seem to get people with it. In the beginning when the game first came out, people fell for it really easily.

Having some AA's as pickups like in 4 could be a cool middle ground. But then you have the guys that time exactly when shit respawns, and everyone rushing for them like power weapons. I don't like that type of game play. Again, let the people who know what they are doing to figure this shit out for us :)

I would say to that that the people who do time these things are highly skilled at the game and some people have argued that Reach isn't as skillful as previous Halo's.

Holograms are best on gametypes with no radar, saw a good forum post on Bungie saying that if you can melee and shoot Holograms, why can't you stick one. Would be very entertaining sticking one and seeing it sprint into an enemy!

Wh0 N0se said:

With regards to Hologram, I've seen plenty of people run after it shooting, you'd think they'd check their radars by now!
find an image on the internet that you like, take it here, wait patiently and hope that someone takes pity on you, junior. ;-)

Wh0 N0se

squidhands said:
find an image on the internet that you like, take it here, wait patiently and hope that someone takes pity on you, junior. ;-)

Haha, thanks, I shall do that and sit quietly in a corner full of shame! I'm rubbish at things like this!

I would prefer to go back to the old way of picking up equipment and power weapons.

GhaleonEB

Wh0 N0se said:
I would say to that that the people who do time these things are highly skilled at the game and some people have argued that Reach isn't as skillful as previous Halo's.

Holograms are best on gametypes with no radar, saw a good forum post on Bungie saying that if you can melee and shoot Holograms, why can't you stick one. Would be very entertaining sticking one and seeing it sprint into an enemy!
Imagine the tactics around sticking your own hologram. Send one around a corner with a plamsa grenade attached as a special delivery.

GhaleonEB said:
I'd like to see everything go back to being pick ups, outside of specialized game types. With pick ups you can have a mix of instant effects, one time uses and longer lasting abilities. Grab camo, turn invisible. Grab Drop Shield, you can use it once. Grab Jet Pack, you've got a certain amount of juice. Sprinkled around lightly, as with the better the better Halo 3 maps, they can work fine. (Except Armor Lock. It can die.)

I think having Armor Abilities replace one-time use items and power ups was a mistake. If they had the option of limiting how often then could be used - from once to unlimited - Reach could be tuned much better.
Well, I meant that there would no conceivable way of tuning AAs to make them work in a Halo game while keeping true to Reach's model (loadouts, unlimited use, etc).

The armor abilities we currently have would work much better as pick-ups; I agree. Ala equipment in Halo 3.

It's faster than ODST, and jump height higher. In Beta, it was very close to ODST. I think this was done to make Sprint more effective. I think at this point there's ample reason to restore Halo 2/3 movement speed and jump height. Not to mention getting rid of the intertia you have when strafing so we're agile once again.
Really? Hm. Must be confusing the two (retail and beta) because they're pretty close when compared to 2/3. I'll be fine with sprint in Halo as long as its a pick-up (and can only run a certain amount before its gone) and the base player speed is back to what it was in 2/3.

As I said before, I'm worried the inclusion of it in Halo 4 would affect the base player speed in a negative way.

Oozer3993

Dax01 said:

I think they work pretty well now. There may be problems with specific abilities, or with how some are implemented into Matchmaking, but there is nothing inherently wrong with the concept. And they can exist peacefully next to power ups. For 4, pare down the number (just Sprint, Hologram, and Jetpack and/or a heavily modified Armor Lock) and have Overshield and Invisibility as powerups like 1, 2, and 3.

GhaleonEB said:

I think having Armor Abilities replace one-time use items and power ups was a mistake. If they had the option of limiting how often then could be used - from once to unlimited - Reach could be tuned much better.
I'm publishing my article tonight, so I'll refrain from commenting on the topic at hand. I've gotten some great proofreading feedback and just need to add the photos (and do one last pass on my site).

But when you read the article, know that I wrote it a week or so ago and uploaded the draft yesterday. Dani and Hitmonchan can vouch for that (well, for the draft at least).

Just wanted to make that clear, so you don't think I'm copying from your post or anything. ;)
It's mostly common sense stuff anyways. Great minds...

Wh0 N0se

Dax01 said:
Well, I meant that there would no conceivable way of tuning AAs to make them work in a Halo game while keeping true to Reach's model (loadouts, unlimited use, etc).

The armor abilities we currently have would work much better as pick-ups; I agree. Ala equipment in Halo 3.

Really? Hm. Must be confusing the two (retail and beta) because they're pretty close when compared to 2/3. I'll be fine with sprint in Halo as long as its a pick-up (and can only run a certain amount before its gone) and the base player speed is back to what it was in 2/3.

As I said before, I'm worried the inclusion of it in Halo 4 would affect the base player speed in a negative way.

Although, thinking about this logically, surely Master Chief wouldn't need anything to boost his speed and his strafing should be consistent with Halo 3's.

ncsuDuncan said:
I'm publishing my article tonight, so I'll refrain from commenting on the topic at hand. I've gotten some great proofreading feedback and just need to add the photos (and do one last pass on my site).

But when you read the article, know that I wrote it a week or so ago and uploaded the draft yesterday. Dani and Hitmonchan can vouch for that (well, for the draft at least).

Just wanted to make that clear, so you don't think I'm copying from your post or anything. ;)
It's mostly common sense stuff anyways. Great minds...
You're doing an article for FUD? Good to hear!

leonfaria04

Neo Member
Wh0 N0se said:
Although, thinking about this logically, surely Master Chief wouldn't need anything to boost his speed and his strafing should be consistent with Halo 3's.

They can change the gravity in the new planet, so master chief can be slower and heavier, and personally i think that would be better

Dax01 said:
You're doing an article for FUD? Good to hear!
No, I've built my own site. Inspired by FUD for sure, but a little less professional and more of a personal Halo blog. Launching tonight, provided I can actually stop myself from continually trying to improve things and release the damn thing.

Edit: beaten. I thought about trying to submit it to FUD, but I've had this website in my head for a while now and I don't want to spam FUD with every little post I'd want to make.

I appreciate the kind words Dani. :)

Dax01 said:
Where's the love, Duncan?

It died in Hangar 2. #meme of the day

Dani said:
Unfortunately, no. It's his own site. Although he'd be more than welcome.
ncsuDuncan said:
No, I've built my own site. Inspired by FUD for sure, but a little less professional and more of a personal Halo blog. Launching tonight, provided I can actually stop myself from continually trying to improve things and release the damn thing.
Where's the love, Duncan?

Wh0 N0se

leonfaria04 said:
They can change the gravity in the new planet, so master chief can be slower and heavier, and personally i think that would be better

That's a fair point, would be weird to be playing the chief and only be moving at a normal persons speed though.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Sup Juniors...you know the drill

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist...

AR or BR...

Favorite Halo 2 map...

Welcome.

kylej

Banned
That's a coincidence because I too am launching a dedicated Halo blog tonight. It will focus primarily on major character arcs that occur both in-game and in the Halo novels, and what those arcs mean for the future of the franchise.

Wh0 N0se

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist... 41 in either Team Slayer or Doubles, can't remember which one.

AR or BR... BR, but was totally useless at using it!

Favorite Halo 2 map... Coagulation

Hi!

Striker

Kunohara said:

That's because Halo 3's base speed is slow. Revert to Halo 1 or 2 and you'll be happy, I'm sure.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dani I have an article idea for FUD, tell me what you think...the year, is 2904, The Chief is all but a memory. A forgotten legend. Until, a portal opens up over Newest Mombasa Skylon V. Wait, what's this?! The Master Chief has traveled from the past to remind everyone of how awesome he used to be. What do you think?

Top Bottom